Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

sixtyseven
Topic Author

WestJet Pilots Vote Down Agreement

Sat Nov 19, 2016 3:46 am

WestJet pilots voted against the widebody expansion agreement by an apparent large margin.

Sounds like they've had enough.

My guess is a very large yes vote towards certifying with ALPA will be next. And soon.

https://www.google.ca/amp/www.cbc.ca/am ... ent=safari

matthew11

Re: WestJet Pilots Vote Down Agreement

Sat Nov 19, 2016 5:19 am

That's quite the setback.

VonRichtofen

Sat Nov 19, 2016 5:25 am

sixtyseven wrote:
WestJet pilots voted against the widebody expansion agreement by an apparent large margin.

Sounds like they've had enough.

My guess is a very large yes vote towards certifying with ALPA will be next. And soon.

https://www.google.ca/amp/www.cbc.ca/am ... ent=safari

Anybody know what their grievances are? I thought they'd be all for an expanion.

sixtyseven
Topic Author

Sat Nov 19, 2016 5:37 am

They are not happy about a lot of things.

This no vote is a barometer of what the pilots think of the WJPPA, the in house representatives of the pilot group.

They have tried to organize several times and narrowly missed last time. ALPA is in talks with a group leading the pro union drive.

This in my opinion is more of indicator that the group wants better representation going forward. I would guess you will see them certify before the end of Q1. Then they will secure a contract to include new aircraft. Which if there is a business case, will come, and be flown by WJ pilots.

I think it's a great step forward for the pilot group who have outgrown the current model of representation. I don't view this as a setback at all.

VonRichtofen

Sat Nov 19, 2016 5:43 am

sixtyseven wrote:

This no vote is a barometer of what the pilots think of the WJPPA, the in house representatives of the pilot group.

They have tried to organize several times and narrowly missed last time. ALPA is in talks with a group leading the pro union drive.

This in my opinion is more of indicator that the group wants better representation going forward. I would guess you will see them certify before the end of Q1. Then they will secure a contract to include new aircraft. Which if there is a business case, will come, and be flown by WJ pilots.

I think it's a great step forward for the pilot group who have outgrown the current model of representation. I don't view this as a setback at all.

Interesting. So not so much a vote against the idea of widebody expansion itself but more a vote against expansion without assurances it'll be WS pilots flying those aircraft, and to some extent showing the WJPPA they're not going to just tow their line?

sixtyseven
Topic Author

Sat Nov 19, 2016 6:02 am

That would be my guess talking to some of their guys there yes. Whether this is the case entirely who knows. The theory will be tested when a vote to certify with ALPA comes down the pipe.

Saretsky & co won't be happy as they'll be thinking the same. As will the WJPPA as a vote so against a good faith negotiation will signal to them they completely mis-read the "temperature in the room". The WJPPA will have work to do if they want to avoid certification to ALPA. There'll be lots of rhetoric and probably a pretty quick sweetening of the pot.

Topguncanada

Sat Nov 19, 2016 7:13 am

I think they are still behind comparable Air Canada wages and working conditions. The lack of advancement in recent years has not helped the over all mood. An 80% No vote suggests to me that the arrival of unionization (ALPA) at WestJet is now imminent.

Whiteguy

Sat Nov 19, 2016 6:26 pm

VonRichtofen wrote:
sixtyseven wrote:

Interesting. So not so much a vote against the idea of widebody expansion itself but more a vote against expansion without assurances it'll be WS pilots flying those aircraft, and to some extent showing the WJPPA they're not going to just tow their line?

The vote was no to the agreements presented not a no to the expansion of the widebody flying!

And it's not WJPPA, it's WJPA, PPA was the certified group that was voted on last fall....that was a no also...

sixtyseven
Topic Author

Sat Nov 19, 2016 9:48 pm

The TA failed. I would suspect the next TA will be negotiated by ALPA WestJet. And that's great.

Whiteguy

Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:48 pm

sixtyseven wrote:
The TA failed. I would suspect the next TA will be negotiated by ALPA WestJet. And that's great.

Not likely.....

sixtyseven
Topic Author

Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:19 pm

A TA that fails with a margin like that is usually an indictment of not only management but also the guys that we're sitting across from them. Good luck

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos