Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

YLWbased
Topic Author

Transasia Airways (Taiwan) Suspend All Service

Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:09 am

Taiwan based Transasia Airways (GE) confirmed internet rumours, entire fleet will be grounded effective tomorrow afternoon. No additional information has been released as to the grounding permanent or temporary and the reason behind the grounding.

GE currently operates 7x A320, 6x A321, 7x ATR72-600 and have 6x A321neo, 2x A320ceo and 4x A330-800neo on order.

Stay tune for more updates.

Source: http://www.cna.com.tw/news/firstnews/20 ... 012-1.aspx (Link in Chinese)

YLWbased

RacheyFlies

Re: Transasia Airways (Taiwan) Suspend All Service

Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:26 am

I guess all these grounded planes will be solded to EVA Air I think. Because They used the same plane to each other airline.

ba319-131

Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:06 am

RacheyFlies wrote:
I guess all these grounded planes will be solded to EVA Air I think. Because They used the same plane to each other airline.

- Not so sue about the A320/321's joining EVA, they have different engines to the quite large EVA air fleet.

hayzel777

Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:35 am

Two plane crashes in one year and one that was because the pilot panicked probably didn't help there situation.

hayzel777

Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:30 am

Looks like they are shutting down permanently. Employees are writing all types of things on instagram.

RacheyFlies

Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:35 am

hayzel777 wrote:
Looks like they are shutting down permanently. Employees are writing all types of things on instagram.

Not only in Instagram, but also seen in Facebook, Twitter, TV across Taiwan and more will be seen. Will any airline will pay for the replacement ticket of this suspended airline?

frigatebird

Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:41 am

YLWbased wrote:
6x A321neo, 2x A320ceo and 4x A330-800neo on order.

The A321neo order was converted to options only earlier this year.

I wonder if Transasia's collapse will have affect on the A330-800 program. HA is now the only airline left to order it. Development cost is relatively low, but is it low enough to break even on just 6 aircraft? Airbus is reluctant to develop a variant for just one customer (see SQ and the A350-2000).

yonahleung

Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:49 am

They should have kept the V Air brand which was a much stronger brand after the two outrageous crashes.

Blankbarcode

Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:56 am

yonahleung wrote:
They should have kept the V Air brand which was a much stronger brand after the two outrageous crashes.

Indeed. This was their potential way out and they blew it. It's a shame too, I liked the V-Air branding! Glad to have been able to fly them at least once.

zkojq

Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:00 pm

Thinking of all the employees at this difficult time. :(
frigatebird wrote:

I wonder if Transasia's collapse will have affect on the A330-800 program. HA is now the only airline left to order it.

Airbus also need the -800 for the (eventual) freighter version and for the MRTT. Didn't Arkia order some -800s too, or was that just a MOU?

RacheyFlies wrote:

I like your signature, btw.

RacheyFlies

Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:03 pm

zkojq wrote:
frigatebird wrote:

I wonder if Transasia's collapse will have affect on the A330-800 program. HA is now the only airline left to order it.

Airbus also need the -800 for the (eventual) freighter version and for the MRTT. Didn't Arkia order some -800s too, or was that just a MOU?

RacheyFlies wrote:

What signature? Can u please tell me.

Polot

Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:14 pm

zkojq wrote:
frigatebird wrote:

RacheyFlies wrote:

Arkia is going to take "up to" 4 A339s (and based on the language of the press release and the fact there has been no order from them it sounds like Arkia are taking them from a lessor).

frigatebird

Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:19 pm

zkojq wrote:
frigatebird wrote:

Airbus also need the -800 for the (eventual) freighter version and for the MRTT.

They might base it off the A339. Let's see how the A333 P2F program pans out ;-)

Anyway, just learned from Karel production of the first A338s has already started, so my question is answered :-)

zkojq

Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:30 pm

frigatebird wrote:

They might base it off the A339. Let's see how the A333 P2F program pans out ;-)

I guess the A339 would make the better package freighter, but most of the freighter market would prefer the longer range, higher payload of an A338, wouldn't it? For the same reasons that Airbus makes factory built freighter versions of the A330-200, not the A330-300.

frigatebird wrote:
Anyway, just learned from Karel production of the first A338s has already started, so my question is answered

Interesting. I'm surprise that the A339 wasn't ahead of the A338, given its stronger order book which would yield cashflows sooner. I'm sure Airbus has their reasons though.

Polot wrote:
Arkia is going to take "up to" 4 A339s (and based on the language of the press release and the fact there has been no order from them it sounds like Arkia are taking them from a lessor).

That would explain it, thanks. :)

kriskim

Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:06 pm

According to the airline, the suspensions are only for 1 day, however they are not confirming if operations will continue after.

PA515

Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:12 pm

They had two ATR 72-600s due for delivery.

The first c/n 1341 F-WWEZ in Transasia colours (B-22825) is stored at Toulouse Francazal.
John Spencer Photo https://www.flickr.com/photos/mehereint ... otostream/

The second c/n 1355 F-WWEP is now going to Air Caledonie as F-OZIP.
Vilbert Mickael Photo https://www.flickr.com/photos/mikaplane ... 013352645/

PA515
Last edited by PA515 on Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

YLWbased
Topic Author

Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:15 pm

kriskim wrote:
According to the airline, the suspensions are only for 1 day, however they are not confirming if operations will continue after.

There is no possible way they can just come around operating like nothing happened day after tomorrow. Any confident consumer have in this company has completely faded with this grounding, even if they were to fly again in 2 days, their ridership will go way down. Not to mention that they'll have loss all credits at the ground service companies, where likely they'll be force to pay up front for their future services; than add to that Credit Card companies are going to increase their fund holding period due to increased risk.

GE is done, the only way to make them fly again is that some company magically shows up tomorrow and buy everything that GE has for its AOE, and decide to keep the old name.

YLWbased

RacheyFlies

Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:21 pm

PA515 wrote:

The first c/n 1341 F-WWEZ in Transasia colours (B-22825) is stored at Toulouse Francazal.

Vibert Mickael Photo https://www.flickr.com/photos/mikaplane ... 013352645/

PA515

So these ATR were ordered, but never taken by TransAsia, so I think the A339 would be heading to another operator in addition to active fleet.

TransAsia has been suffering so bad since 2015 after the 2 ATR crash in history of the airline.

But will any passenger who book this airline got affected for a new ticket or airline?

hayzel777

Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:41 pm

RacheyFlies wrote:
PA515 wrote:

Vibert Mickael Photo https://www.flickr.com/photos/mikaplane ... 013352645/

PA515

So these ATR were ordered, but never taken by TransAsia, so I think the A339 would be heading to another operator in addition to active fleet.

TransAsia has been suffering so bad since 2015 after the 2 ATR crash in history of the airline.

But will any passenger who book this airline got affected for a new ticket or airline?

No airline will recognize the Transasia ticket unless travel was coordinated by Transasia directly, which isn't happening since no Transasia employee is working tomorrow. They have already said they will refund everyone the tickets. Anyone affected will have to rebook themselves.

BTW, Transasia ordered A338, not the -9 variant.

hayzel777

Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:44 pm

[photoid][/photoid]
YLWbased wrote:
kriskim wrote:

There is no possible way they can just come around operating like nothing happened day after tomorrow. Any confident consumer have in this company has completely faded with this grounding, even if they were to fly again in 2 days, their ridership will go way down. Not to mention that they'll have loss all credits at the ground service companies, where likely they'll be force to pay up front for their future services; than add to that Credit Card companies are going to increase their fund holding period due to increased risk.

GE is done, the only way to make them fly again is that some company magically shows up tomorrow and buy everything that GE has for its AOE, and decide to keep the old name.

YLWbased

There might be a chance EVA Air will buy the ATRs since everything is the same except for the color of the seats and the livery. Other than that, GE is done. The board of trustee meeting they planned tomorrow is probably to decide what to do next.

The rest of the fleet will probably be sold off to other airlines not in Taiwan, since the engine type/fleet don't match either local airlines specifications. BR has A321s and A330s but they use GE engines on the 333 and CFM on the 321s while GE uses others. CI also uses GE powered. Tigerair Taiwan doesn't need any aircraft because they are barely afloat right now.
Last edited by hayzel777 on Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hayzel777

Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:45 pm

kriskim wrote:

Its going to be more than a day. All staff and station managers that were deployed from Taiwan to the outstations were recalled over the weekend.

bzcat

Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:14 pm

This is the second time GE has suspended all flight operations. The first time was 1958 and it didn't resume service until 1988. Let's see how long this suspension lasts.

It's premature to say what will happen to the fleet because I'm sure the banks and leasing company will get them.

The domestic routes will probably be assigned immediately to CI and BR because the Taiwanese Govt will have to ensure adequate air service to outlying islands. GE's Japanese routes won't be reassigned because open sky and I suspect the other LCCs will fill the void quickly.

trex8

Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:25 pm

CI had brand new VS A333s with Rollers for 2 years on lease while the rest of the fleet were GE. If they need the capacity I dont think the engine issue is a deal killer.

Ytraveller

Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:06 pm

RacheyFlies wrote:
zkojq wrote:
frigatebird wrote:

RacheyFlies wrote:

What signature? Can u please tell me.

"Because I am a Christian, I love Jesus, I am a Cabin Crew..."

YLWbased
Topic Author

Tue Nov 22, 2016 4:17 am

bzcat wrote:
This is the second time GE has suspended all flight operations. The first time was 1958 and it didn't resume service until 1988. Let's see how long this suspension lasts.

It's premature to say what will happen to the fleet because I'm sure the banks and leasing company will get them.

The domestic routes will probably be assigned immediately to CI and BR because the Taiwanese Govt will have to ensure adequate air service to outlying islands. GE's Japanese routes won't be reassigned because open sky and I suspect the other LCCs will fill the void quickly.

It's a done deal, GE will enter liquidation at 14:00 today.

Source (in Chinese): http://udn.com/news/story/1/2121427

YLWbased

bennator

Tue Nov 22, 2016 4:56 am

I wonder what this will mean for airlines who they provide ground handling to. I know that 3K, among others many others is handled by GE at TPE, I wonder if we'll see disruption of service by other airlines as well.

hayzel777

Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:00 am

They had a 23million loan that was due next month and im pretty sure they couldn't pay that loan. Ground handling will most likely be affected but maybe SIGMU(the parent company) can have that subsidiary remain in place.

YLWbased
Topic Author

Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:38 am

hayzel777 wrote:
They had a 23million loan that was due next month and im pretty sure they couldn't pay that loan. Ground handling will most likely be affected but maybe SIGMU(the parent company) can have that subsidiary remain in place.

Official announcement made, GE will not enter liquidation immediately. But will rather suspend all operation, dismiss all staffs with full pay and refund all paying passengers with valid tickets.

I think the reason behind this is that the company knows that they won't be able to pay back the loan next month, instead of having a bad ending and everybody caught in the act without notice, they shuts down the operation a month in advance. Allowing them to refund everyone and pay their staffs properly before shutting the entire thing down.

Sad ending but they handled it the best they could.

YLWbased

bzcat

Tue Nov 22, 2016 8:03 pm

Another cautionary tale of airline over expansion.

Rajahdhani

Tue Nov 22, 2016 8:27 pm

YLWbased wrote:
Official announcement made, GE will not enter liquidation immediately. But will rather suspend all operation, dismiss all staffs with full pay and refund all paying passengers with valid tickets.

I think the reason behind this is that the company knows that they won't be able to pay back the loan next month, instead of having a bad ending and everybody caught in the act without notice, they shuts down the operation a month in advance. Allowing them to refund everyone and pay their staffs properly before shutting the entire thing down.

Sad ending but they handled it the best they could.

YLWbased

Considering how horribly it goes, normally - this was an elegantly clean handle to that situation. Kudos to them, despite the loss - and if they do incorporate into another airline (and need the good will of the public, past employees, future creditors, and/or the government), they should be praised for handling this shut-down with a management system/style and civility that is rarely seen at other examples.

Back to topic - I wonder who will those A338s on order go to? Not yet assembled (so, likley to never be), but with such few A338s to begin with, if there is any fat to trim on pricing (which is already unlikely) - might need to go to enticing a new customer.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos