Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

SR380
Topic Author

Etihad Regional (Darwin Airlines) New Livery?

Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:48 pm

Etihad Regional will introduce Dash-8 to replace aging SAAB-2000.

So you think they will introduce a revised livery? The new Etihad "cubes" livery would look nice with a touch of red and white to remember the Swiss flag.

Any thoughts?

LamboAston

Re: Etihad Regional (Darwin Airlines) New Livery?

Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:02 am

It seems unlikely that they would bring in new planes with an old, replaced livery
AS350, B733/4/7/8, B744/8, B762/3, B77E/L/W, B789, A319, A320, A321, A332, A346, A380, AT73/5/6, Q300, Q400, CR2/7, E190, S340, B1900C/D, E110 (E for epic)
NZ, EK, QF, SQ, UA, US, CO, FZ, FR, U2, BA, VA, VS, MH, EI, EY, LH, EN, NM, TG, GZ

RacheyFlies

Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:03 am

I don't think so, maybe this livery would only remain between Etihad and Darwin Airline.
But maybe Darwin would remain its livery with Etihad CS. So that's why EY brought Darwin by 2013 or 2014 maybe in its revised livery.
The best plane I've flown is an A380. They were the biggest and the best than other plane I've been on. :lol:

BobPatterson

Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:19 am

Somewhat off-topic, but does anyone know how/why the name Darwin came into use for this airline? I've been unable to find this explained in Internet searches.
Facts are fragile things. Treat them with care. Sources are important. Alternative facts do not exist.

SR380
Topic Author

Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:11 am

BobPatterson wrote:
Somewhat off-topic, but does anyone know how/why the name Darwin came into use for this airline? I've been unable to find this explained in Internet searches.

Because the airlines it's still named Darwin Airlines. It's actually Etihad Regional operated by Darwin Airlines. They kept the name for legal purposes.

baje427

Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:58 am

Dont they already have ATR's in the fleet when was it announced they were getting Dash 8's?

RacheyFlies

Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:02 pm

baje427 wrote:
Dont they already have ATR's in the fleet when was it announced they were getting Dash 8's?

They still have an ATR, you're correct! Somehow I think they may considering buying more ATR planes rather than buying Dash 8 planes. Because I think ATR would be easy to replace their Saab fleet if possible.
The best plane I've flown is an A380. They were the biggest and the best than other plane I've been on. :lol:

Airdolomiti

Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:04 pm

SR380 wrote:
BobPatterson wrote:

Because the airlines it's still named Darwin Airlines. It's actually Etihad Regional operated by Darwin Airlines. They kept the name for legal purposes.

While you are absolutely correct, I think he may have been wondering about the origin of the name Darwin Airline (singular, not plural) itself, not why it's still being used now :)

Back when they started operations (2003?), I seem to remember them touting something about the "evolution of air travel". This interview with their CCO published by anna.aero a decade later appears to confirm that: http://www.anna.aero/2013/05/23/darwin- ... t-uk-base/

Quote:
Christian Schneider (CS): The name Darwin Airline refers to the element of Charles Darwin that the most adaptable species (or business model) will survive, or be sustainable. The founders of Darwin Airline took this as their spirit, after Swissair and Crossair merged and as a consequence the regional network in Switzerland was significantly reduced. The founders decided to name it singular as most airlines have just one airline, even though they regard themselves as plural

Also, in keeping with the overall theme, their inflight magazine is still called "evolution".

SR380
Topic Author

Wed Nov 23, 2016 4:07 pm

RacheyFlies wrote:
baje427 wrote:

They still have an ATR, you're correct! Somehow I think they may considering buying more ATR planes rather than buying Dash 8 planes. Because I think ATR would be easy to replace their Saab fleet if possible.

Dash has been confirmed as Saab replacement:

https://www.aerotelegraph.com/etihad-re ... 8-erneuern

Plus there are recurring pilots and FAs with Dash qualifications.

I don't know if the ATRs will stay. I don't see the point of having two machines for such a small fleet.

SR380
Topic Author

Wed Nov 23, 2016 4:08 pm

Airdolomiti wrote:
SR380 wrote:
BobPatterson wrote:

While you are absolutely correct, I think he may have been wondering about the origin of the name Darwin Airline (singular, not plural) itself, not why it's still being used now :)

Back when they started operations (2003?), I seem to remember them touting something about the "evolution of air travel". This interview with their CCO published by anna.aero a decade later appears to confirm that: http://www.anna.aero/2013/05/23/darwin- ... t-uk-base/

Quote:
Christian Schneider (CS): The name Darwin Airline refers to the element of Charles Darwin that the most adaptable species (or business model) will survive, or be sustainable. The founders of Darwin Airline took this as their spirit, after Swissair and Crossair merged and as a consequence the regional network in Switzerland was significantly reduced. The founders decided to name it singular as most airlines have just one airline, even though they regard themselves as plural

Also, in keeping with the overall theme, their inflight magazine is still called "evolution".

And indeed you are completely right. Still I am wondering how different they are from anyone els...

BobPatterson

Wed Nov 23, 2016 5:28 pm

Airdolomiti wrote:

Quote:

Thank you very much for the background information about the name Darwin Airline and its publication "Evolution." I am constantly amazed by the depth of knowledge of a.netters and how much I learn here.

For about 5 years I designed and operated a website called "Darwiniana," that dealt in all aspects of biological evolution. I stopped work on it in 2003 just as the airline was forming, and never heard about the company's magazine which launched in 2011. That website is still hosted at the International Wildlife Museum in Tucson, Arizona, but is no longer being kept current with the advances in science. http://darwiniana.org/
Facts are fragile things. Treat them with care. Sources are important. Alternative facts do not exist.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos