atypical
Topic Author

How Usable is TIJ as an Alternate to SAN?

Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:56 pm

Since there are US facilities for TIJ is that making it a viable alternate to SAN particularly for Mexico destinations and southern international service?

blacksoviet

Re: How Usable is TIJ as an Alternate to SAN?

Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:15 am

TIJ has always been the preferred airport for flights to Mexico. SAN only has flights to three cities in Mexico. TIJ has flights to every Mexican airport.

qcpilotxf

Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:45 am

It is the preferred Mexico service for a lot of people, its much easier than SAN, and has service to everywhere

Scooter

Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:56 am

I flew out of TIJ for the first time earlier this year (via the Cross Border Xpress) and it was really fast and easy. I was certainly skeptical about it beforehand, but I'm sure I will do it again for future trips to Mexico and points south.
My name is Scott, and I am addicted to writing obnoxiously-detailed trip reports.

lesfalls

Wed Nov 23, 2016 2:23 am

TIJ also has a flight to PVG so it's not only for people flying to Mexico.
Lufthansa: Einfach ein bisschen mehr.

DolphinAir747

Wed Nov 23, 2016 3:03 am

The TIJ flight to PVG runs both ways? It's not just a westbound stop?

TWA772LR

Wed Nov 23, 2016 3:18 am

TIJ and SAN only really work for their respective countries. Of course TIJ has flights to all over Mexico, it's their SAN! And San Diego is large enough to warrant it's own flights to within Mexico, so that gives SAN the edge.

Once TIJ starts getting regularly scheduled flights on part 121 characters from the US, then comparisons can be made.

And TIJ only has PVG service because the plane can't make it nonstop from MEX because it's a hot and high airport.
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

spoonman1

Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:01 am

^ Not exactly true. Besides non-stops to Shanghai (yes, both ways) and intra-Mexico flights, TIJ is also getting a Beijing flight in 2017. Nearly 20% of TIJ passengers now come from north of the border.

I believe the question of the original poster was more related to whether TIJ complements SAN as opposed to whether they compete. I would say they are complimentary and that having TIJ sit on the border helps add flights for the region (as is shown from Hainan's addition of TIJ to PEK).

upwardfacing

Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:56 am

blacksoviet wrote:
TIJ has always been the preferred airport for flights to Mexico. SAN only has flights to three cities in Mexico. TIJ has flights to every Mexican airport.

What are the three cities?

I know SJD (Alaska) continues, but MEX (Volaris) was suspended a few months back.

TIJ remains popular for SAN area residents; this is why the so-called Cross-Border Express facility was opened quite recently.

tootallsd

Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:58 am

When I worked in Shanghai, I used the AM flight from Tijuana several times. It was good.

DesertAir

Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:37 am

I would like to suggest the TJ is also a great gateway for Central America. Both Interjet and Volaris have flights to Central America from MEX: Guatemala, Cost Rica; Caribbean: Cuba and San Juan; South America: Lima and Bogotá not to mention the multi destinations on Aeromexico.

LAXintl

Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:43 am

One big reason why TIJ works great is one avoids paying all the international taxes and fees when flying from SAN to Mexican points. Domestic fares in Mexico only have a fraction in charges.

Additionally TIJ is a very competitive market with Volaris, Aeromexico, Interjet and some less known players being quite aggressive with pricing.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos