Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
Sparrow787
Topic Author
Posts: 163
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2015 7:22 pm

Virgin Airlines Alliance

Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:42 am

Alright, so it's no secret that while all 3 deliver great customer service (VA, VS, VX), but all have struggled financially. Now, what if they would've all ran as an alliance? VX would've brought some feed to both VA and VS and vice versa to VX. Would all 3 comoanies be in a different position today?
 
User avatar
UnitedIsBae
Posts: 156
Joined: Sun Oct 23, 2016 2:39 am

Re: Virgin Airlines Alliance

Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:12 am

i think 2 became subsidiaries and one became a parent company.
If it ain't Boeing I ain't going PERIOD
 
User avatar
atcsundevil
Moderator
Posts: 4347
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:22 pm

Re: Virgin Airlines Alliance

Wed Nov 23, 2016 3:48 am

I'm thinking VX would have had a hard time with that. They had enough trouble getting over the regulatory hurdles to even get started. It took a couple of years for them to prove it would be an American held business interest. Forming an alliance with the rest of the Virgin Group could have run afoul of that. I'm no expert on the specifics, but I'm fairly confident that if an alliance were indeed a possibility, it would have been done.
 
MaverickM11
Posts: 18251
Joined: Thu Apr 06, 2000 1:59 pm

Re: Virgin Airlines Alliance

Wed Nov 23, 2016 3:51 am

They do have a solid alliance. It's called DL.;-)
I don't take responsibility at all
 
ahj2000
Posts: 1235
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:34 pm

Re: Virgin Airlines Alliance

Wed Nov 23, 2016 5:07 am

MaverickM11 wrote:
They do have a solid alliance. It's called DL.;-)

Which VX currently does not partner with and probably won't get to as Alaska's relationship with Delta sours and very well may be asked to be dismantled by the DOT.
An alliance between Virgins Atlantic and Australia will almost definitely not happen because one has a deep partnership with Etihad and the other Singapore Air. THey really dont need each other and are o ly connected by branding.
-Andrés Juánez
 
kriskim
Posts: 422
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:44 am

Re: Virgin Airlines Alliance

Wed Nov 23, 2016 9:07 am

ahj2000 wrote:
Which VX currently does not partner with and probably won't get to as Alaska's relationship with Delta sours and very well may be asked to be dismantled by the DOT.
An alliance between Virgins Atlantic and Australia will almost definitely not happen because one has a deep partnership with Etihad and the other Singapore Air. THey really dont need each other and are o ly connected by branding.


I think you have gotten a little mixed up there! VA's major shareholders include SQ, EY and HNA Group (HU), whilst VS's major shareholders include DL. Both airlines work extensively with DL, both airlines have JV's with DL from both sides of the USA.

I personally don't think that there is a need for a Virgin Alliance, VX will be gone soon, VA is pretty much a shambles with major interests from 4 differing shareholders, whilst it looks like VS could be heading to ST along with DL. All 3 airlines sometimes have joint marketing efforts, which work quite well, they advertise themselves as a "family", but I think thats the extent of co-operation between all 3 airlines.
A world built upon connectivity.
 
LHRFlyer
Posts: 1041
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:50 pm

Re: Virgin Airlines Alliance

Wed Nov 23, 2016 9:44 am

There was talk of a "Virgin Alliance" many years ago with the three all co-operating but it proved to be just hype from Richard Branson.

There seems to be very little co-operation and co-ordination between Virgin branded businesses beyond occasional PR events.
 
User avatar
intotheair
Posts: 1899
Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:49 pm

Re: Virgin Airlines Alliance

Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:09 am

Even if VX weren't going away, what would a Virgin alliance accomplish really? There's so little overlap between the three that I can't imagine there's that much potential for feed to begin with.

kriskim wrote:
ahj2000 wrote:
Which VX currently does not partner with and probably won't get to as Alaska's relationship with Delta sours and very well may be asked to be dismantled by the DOT.
An alliance between Virgins Atlantic and Australia will almost definitely not happen because one has a deep partnership with Etihad and the other Singapore Air. THey really dont need each other and are o ly connected by branding.


I think you have gotten a little mixed up there! VA's major shareholders include SQ, EY and HNA Group (HU), whilst VS's major shareholders include DL. Both airlines work extensively with DL, both airlines have JV's with DL from both sides of the USA.

I personally don't think that there is a need for a Virgin Alliance, VX will be gone soon, VA is pretty much a shambles with major interests from 4 differing shareholders, whilst it looks like VS could be heading to ST along with DL. All 3 airlines sometimes have joint marketing efforts, which work quite well, they advertise themselves as a "family", but I think thats the extent of co-operation between all 3 airlines.


It's the DOJ that's the hurdle in the AS/VX acquisition, not the DOT. And I'd love to see VS join Sky, but I'd be a little surprised if that happened. I don't know whether AF/KL would take kindly to a major competitor joining their alliance, and VS never joined Star despite being 49% owned by SQ for years.
300 319 320 321 332 333 345 346 380 717 733 734 735 73G 738 739 744 752 753 762 763 772 77W 788 789 CR2 CR7 CR9 CRK Q400 E175 DC10 MD82 MD90
AA AF AS AY AZ B6 BA BR DL F9 FI GA HA KF LH MI QX SK SN SQ UA US VY WN
 
RacheyFlies
Posts: 191
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2016 2:48 pm

Re: Virgin Airlines Alliance

Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:39 am

I figured out that VS, VA has a codeshare with DL on almost all flights from DL hub and LAX. VS has many codeshare as they have a partner with DL back in likely 2013 and almost all flights were in VS flights. In VA, they codeshare not only almost all flight in DL, but some should be also in VA all out of LAX hub. VX does not have a codeshare with DL at all. But the VX/AS merger is not approved yet.
The best plane I've flown is an A380. They were the biggest and the best than other plane I've been on. :lol:
 
SonOfABeech
Posts: 207
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:51 pm

Re: Virgin Airlines Alliance

Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:41 am

Would we call such an alliance "the convent"?
 
brad1823
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2007 4:48 am

Re: Virgin Airlines Alliance

Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:40 pm

I don't understand why the Virgin airlines didn't go the way that Airasia have gone. Airasia have one booking system, a consistent product and consistent marketing. They too have various different owners but still manage it. At the moment Virgin is effectively three separate airlines with just Virgin in the name which I, along with others I know found odd as you would assume that hey would work together in the way Airasia does.

I can't help but wonder if they did this that they would have been more successful and if Virgin Express, Nigeria and even Sun would still be around. It seems that they had a great opportunity and didn't take advantage of it.
 
RacheyFlies
Posts: 191
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2016 2:48 pm

Re: Virgin Airlines Alliance

Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:47 pm

brad1823 wrote:
I don't understand why the Virgin airlines didn't go the way that Airasia have gone. Airasia have one booking system, a consistent product and consistent marketing. They too have various different owners but still manage it. At the moment Virgin is effectively three separate airlines with just Virgin in the name which I, along with others I know found odd as you would assume that hey would work together in the way Airasia does.

I can't help but wonder if they did this that they would have been more successful and if Virgin Express, Nigeria and even Sun would still be around. It seems that they had a great opportunity and didn't take advantage of it.

Not only AirAsia I think, but some Euro LCC like Easyjet does it too. Easyjet has another division Easyjet Switzerland and they can also have one booking system to both airline. Jetstar has many division like AirAsia does and also have 1 booking system too. The reason for Virgin is: They were all from seperated regions I think.
The best plane I've flown is an A380. They were the biggest and the best than other plane I've been on. :lol:
 
MaverickM11
Posts: 18251
Joined: Thu Apr 06, 2000 1:59 pm

Re: Virgin Airlines Alliance

Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:35 pm

ahj2000 wrote:
MaverickM11 wrote:
They do have a solid alliance. It's called DL.;-)

Which VX currently does not partner with and probably won't get to as Alaska's relationship with Delta sours and very well may be asked to be dismantled by the DOT.
An alliance between Virgins Atlantic and Australia will almost definitely not happen because one has a deep partnership with Etihad and the other Singapore Air. THey really dont need each other and are o ly connected by branding.

Right, VA/VS get much more value out of DL than they could ever hope to get out of VX. DL is probably larger than SFO in terms of ASKs than VX...
I don't take responsibility at all

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos