Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

PanzerPowner
Topic Author

Any Potential Markets From LGB That Are Not Served?

Wed Nov 23, 2016 4:13 am

What Potential Markets From LGB that are not served or under served by current operators at the time. Such as a possibility for maybe flights not only just JFK but maybe PIT, MIA, ATL, DFW, or any other airports that could be profitable from a secondary airport in Socal.
Well uh, I obviously decided to refine this but i dont know how.

ahj2000

Re: Any Potential Markets From LGB That Are Not Served?

Wed Nov 23, 2016 4:48 am

Chicago, Dallas, and Denver are probably the largest hnserved markets, althoufh WN will begin service soon.
SEA on AS/QX, DEN on UA would not surprise me as both cohld operate with the regional slots.
-Andrés Juánez

32andBelow

Wed Nov 23, 2016 5:32 am

ahj2000 wrote:
Chicago, Dallas, and Denver are probably the largest hnserved markets, althoufh WN will begin service soon.
SEA on AS/QX, DEN on UA would not surprise me as both cohld operate with the regional slots.

Didn't AS/OO operate this already?

B6FA4ever

Wed Nov 23, 2016 6:05 am

32andBelow wrote:
ahj2000 wrote:

Alaska and Horizon operated LGB - SEA/PDX. Both have since dropped.

Frontier/F9 also had a short stint on DEN-LGB that didn't pan out well either.

Allegiant and ExpressJet also had short times in LGB as well but can't remember where they flew to.

EWR was rumored long ago on jetblue but decided to focus on intra-west flying at the time.

The best possibility would be for the international customs facility to become a reality. Because of less frequencies to Latin American compared to domestic flying, LGB could actually become a relitively decent player in those markets from competition from LAX and a lessor extent SNA

BeachBoy

Wed Nov 23, 2016 6:15 am

HNL w/ 737/A321/757/763 or OGG w/ 737/A321

WN732

Wed Nov 23, 2016 6:18 am

Are there available slots?

hispanola

Wed Nov 23, 2016 6:48 am

IAD is an unserved market. B6 used to fly the LGB-IAD flight before they were let into DCA. What caused them to drop the route was probably both the perimeter rule and the horrible scheduled times. The flight would leave LGB very late and would return quite early.
✈️

VirginFlyer

Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:41 pm

Tinian Island. LGB-TIQ. Would make an interesting pairing with the long hoped-for Helsinki to New Haven (HEL-HVN) flight.

:duck:

V/F
It is not for him to pride himself who loveth his own country, but rather for him who loveth the whole world. The earth is but one country, and mankind its citizens. —Bahá'u'lláh

RacheyFlies

Wed Nov 23, 2016 2:06 pm

VirginFlyer wrote:
Tinian Island. LGB-TIQ. Would make an interesting pairing with the long hoped-for Helsinki to New Haven (HEL-HVN) flight.

V/F

How can even Finnair A330 landed at HVN? HVN is very small airport and even a jetway is not for this big plane. In addition, the runway at HVN is 1,700 meters according to Wiki.
The best plane I've flown is an A380. They were the biggest and the best than other plane I've been on. :lol:

MIflyer12

Wed Nov 23, 2016 2:21 pm

PanzerPowner wrote:
Such as a possibility for maybe flights not only just JFK but maybe PIT, MIA, ATL, DFW, or any other airports that could be profitable from a secondary airport in Socal.

One might see some routes very specific to the carriers holding slots at LGB (like B6's service to BOS), but overwhelmingly the seconds SoCal airports are regional airports. What destinations do SNA, ONT, and BUR have? If two out of three of those airports don't get a cross-country destination, LGB isn't very likely to see it. PIT? Ha ha hah. The only destinations from SNA east of CHI/HOU are Newark and Atlanta.

slcdeltarumd11

Wed Nov 23, 2016 2:58 pm

B6FA4ever wrote:
32andBelow wrote:
ahj2000 wrote:

The best possibility would be for the international customs facility to become a reality. Because of less frequencies to Latin American compared to domestic flying, LGB could actually become a relitively decent player in those markets from competition from LAX and a lessor extent SNA

Frontier was the wrong airline for the route. DEN is really the missing city out West.

SLC was by far the busiest market served from LGB ~185,000 a year (LAS is on track to be king in 2017 though), so its funny Denver has gone this long un-served.
It has just been the perfect storm why DEN is un-served.
-UA doesnt fly to LGB
-B6 just isn't big on Denver
-airfares are so low on DEN-LA
-southwest didn't serve LGB until recently

The deck was just stacked against the route. Southwest has so few slots from LGB and the market is so use to frequency. Didn't they decide to focus on OAK/LAS frequency? is DEN for sale yet online on southwest? I hope so, DEN is badly needed and i think southwest of JetBlue can pull that route off

rbavfan

Wed Nov 23, 2016 3:03 pm

SNA also has noise restrictions & T-O procedures that make east coast tough outside of a 757.

jetero

Wed Nov 23, 2016 3:09 pm

WN732 wrote:
Are there available slots?

No.

BoeingGuy

Wed Nov 23, 2016 3:39 pm

rbavfan wrote:
SNA also has noise restrictions & T-O procedures that make east coast tough outside of a 757.

Or a 737-700. What you say is correct, but the real issue is runway length. It's a 5700 foot runway. In fact some models such as the 737-800 are authorized to do a normal takeoff profile out of SNA.

wnflyguy

Wed Nov 23, 2016 3:52 pm

slcdeltarumd11 wrote:
B6FA4ever wrote:
32andBelow wrote:

Frontier was the wrong airline for the route. DEN is really the missing city out West.

SLC was by far the busiest market served from LGB ~185,000 a year (LAS is on track to be king in 2017 though), so its funny Denver has gone this long un-served.
It has just been the perfect storm why DEN is un-served.
-UA doesnt fly to LGB
-B6 just isn't big on Denver
-airfares are so low on DEN-LA
-southwest didn't serve LGB until recently

The deck was just stacked against the route. Southwest has so few slots from LGB and the market is so use to frequency. Didn't they decide to focus on OAK/LAS frequency? is DEN for sale yet online on southwest? I hope so, DEN is badly needed and i think southwest of JetBlue can pull that route off

WN Saturday and Sunday only nonstops LGB-DEN operates from February 4 2017 to March 26 2017 on sale now at Southwest.com

Flyguy
My Wings are clipped just another Retired Airline person. The Ultimate Armchair out of the loop airline industry geek. Aloha Mr Hand!

mtnwest1979

Wed Nov 23, 2016 4:43 pm

All unserved cities are potential LGB markets lol. I personally don't think anything new will come along anytime soon.
Riddle: Which lasts longer, a start-up airline or a start-up football league?

SurfandSnow

Wed Nov 23, 2016 6:06 pm

I've long thought LGB-Hawaii could be a great niche for B6. LGB could serve as the hassle-free gateway to/from Southern California (i.e. Camp Pendleton, Coachella Valley, Disneyland, Orange County, etc.) and points beyond (such as LAS, aka "the ninth island"). Frequency isn't very important when it comes to services between Hawaii and the mainland, in fact the flights could vary based upon seasonal demand. They could partner with HA for FFers and onward connectivity/feed. The only problem? B6 would have to go through the costly and difficult ETOPS process.
Flying in the middle seat of coach is much better than not flying at all!

azjubilee

Wed Nov 23, 2016 6:19 pm

SurfandSnow wrote:
I've long thought LGB-Hawaii could be a great niche for B6. LGB could serve as the hassle-free gateway to/from Southern California (i.e. Camp Pendleton, Coachella Valley, Disneyland, Orange County, etc.) and points beyond (such as LAS, aka "the ninth island"). Frequency isn't very important when it comes to services between Hawaii and the mainland, in fact the flights could vary based upon seasonal demand. They could partner with HA for FFers and onward connectivity/feed. The only problem? B6 would have to go through the costly and difficult ETOPS process.

Or... let HAL operate the flight and codeshare on both sides with B6. It's far easier and cheaper to do it this way, than B6 setting up an entire ETOPS program for what would amount to 1 flight a day. Perhaps this is in the cards with the 321neo's...

Siren

Wed Nov 23, 2016 6:19 pm

RacheyFlies wrote:
How can even Finnair A330 landed at HVN? HVN is very small airport and even a jetway is not for this big plane. In addition, the runway at HVN is 1,700 meters according to Wiki.

Airbus is outfitting several of FI's A330s (and their new A350s) with a variant of the experimental EmDrive that recently came back from testing with successful result at NASA. Adding the EmDrive should significantly reduce takeoff distances, if it works as planned.

http://www.space.com/34797-impossible-s ... ished.html

phxsanslcpdx

Wed Nov 23, 2016 6:40 pm

Starting in January, 6 airlines will be flying nonstop LAX to MCO. It seems like a potential opportunity for at least one airline to move to a different airport to provide a little differentiation. Does Disney or Universal send any significant amount of corporate traffic on this route? And if so, are they contracted to specific airlines? Carrying at least a little corporate traffic might make Orlando viable from LGB or one of the other regional airports--there's probably plenty of demand to fill up the cheap seats, anyway.

SurfandSnow

Wed Nov 23, 2016 6:48 pm

azjubilee wrote:
Or... let HAL operate the flight and codeshare on both sides with B6. It's far easier and cheaper to do it this way, than B6 setting up an entire ETOPS program for what would amount to 1 flight a day. Perhaps this is in the cards with the 321neo's...

That had been my line of thinking as well... Until WN suddenly became interested in LGB. All mainline LGB slots are now accounted for, and I would think WN would immediately object to any attempt to transfer (a) slot(s) between B6 and HA. The LGB-Hawaii operation could be a lot more than 1 flight a day, especially during the summer months and popular holiday travel periods. I could see multiple LGB-HNL frequencies as well as LGB-OGG, LGB-KOA and LGB-LIH (depending on the season).

On a completely unrelated note, I forgot to mention the ski markets! Greater Los Angeles skiers and snowboarders have appreciated the convenience of the LGB-SLC flights (on not just B6 but also DL) for years now, and now Tahoe-bound snow sports enthusiasts can take advantage of B6's new LGB-RNO service. I think B6 could make a killing serving the likes of BZN, EGE, HDN, JAC and MTJ as well - and not just from LGB. These markets could be served from JFK too, perhaps even BOS, FLL and/or a Bay Area airport. Maybe they could even do stuff like MMH and SUN. It is important to remember that these markets can be served at very low frequencies and still do extremely well!
Flying in the middle seat of coach is much better than not flying at all!

azjubilee

Wed Nov 23, 2016 6:54 pm

SurfandSnow wrote:
azjubilee wrote:

That had been my line of thinking as well... Until WN suddenly became interested in LGB. All mainline LGB slots are now accounted for, and I would think WN would immediately object to any attempt to transfer (a) slot(s) between B6 and HA. The LGB-Hawaii operation could be a lot more than 1 flight a day, especially during the summer months and popular holiday travel periods. I could see multiple LGB-HNL frequencies as well as LGB-OGG, LGB-KOA and LGB-LIH (depending on the season).

The only reason why I suggested 1 flight, was that there are clearly slot scarcities at the airport. If it was viable and allowed, perhaps B6 could sublease slot to HAL? Or even sell one, much like they do at LHR? I'm not familiar with how the LGB airport handles the slots. A large operation could be viable for B6 flying their own metal, but in a codeshare operation with HAL, I would guess that it would be a niche part of the network and not demand flights to every island, without chipping away at the LAX operation.

flyby519

Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:00 pm

azjubilee wrote:
SurfandSnow wrote:

If B6 wants to expand TATL (as many articles have suggested) then an ETOPS program would be required. Adding Hawaii from LGB could be the same subfleet as the TATL flights. Assuming B6 goes with the A321LR then the equipment routing could easily bounce from one end of the network to the other. BOS/JFK-Europe-BOS/JFK-transcon to West Coast-Hawaii.

msycajun

Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:10 pm

I've long wondered if B6 might try MSY-LGB, or perhaps a MCO/FLL-MSY-LGB type flight. It's a pretty large market with 7 daily mainline flights on DL, WN, AA and NK.

azjubilee

Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:01 pm

flyby519 wrote:
If B6 wants to expand TATL (as many articles have suggested) then an ETOPS program would be required. Adding Hawaii from LGB could be the same subfleet as the TATL flights. Assuming B6 goes with the A321LR then the equipment routing could easily bounce from one end of the network to the other. BOS/JFK-Europe-BOS/JFK-transcon to West Coast-Hawaii.

Good point, but I suspect any foray into the Hawaii market on B6 metal, will come well after the development of a t-atl network. In the meantime, a codeshare deal with HA from LGB would likely be the quickest and least risk opportunity.

KLM11

Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:50 pm

RacheyFlies wrote:
VirginFlyer wrote:

V/F

Easy does it, you're about to give Spyhuter a run for his money. :lol:
BENAIRE - The Refined Airline

dc10lover

Thu Nov 24, 2016 12:15 am

Bypass Seattle & Portland with non - stop to Spokane, Washington. Draw passengers from the Tri - Cities in Washington State.
Why endure the nightmare and congestion of LAX when BUR, LGB, ONT & SNA is so much easier to fly in and out of. Same with OAK & SJC when it comes to SFO.

DFW789ER

Thu Nov 24, 2016 1:09 am

AA used to do DFW-LGB. I've flown B6 there a few times, both with the old and new terminals. I was not particularly impressed by either. Seems it works best as an up the west coast market airport.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos