Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

8herveg
Topic Author

BA announce Gatwick - Limoges for May 2017

Wed Nov 23, 2016 9:43 am

http://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/fli ... new_routes

Surprised there aren't other French destinations they would launch first such as Strasbourg, Brest, Pau, Toulon, Rennes, Clermont-Ferrand, Carcassone, Perpignan etc. Actually, Gatwick - Rennes has just been announced by Vueling...

seansasLCY

Re: BA announce Gatwick - Limoges for May 2017

Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:13 am

Many of these French routes get big subsidies from the local authorities. Hence the BA flights to Quimper and Angers from LCY.

8herveg
Topic Author

Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:27 am

seansasLCY wrote:
Many of these French routes get big subsidies from the local authorities. Hence the BA flights to Quimper and Angers from LCY.

I'm assuming as this route is served from LGW, it's going to be primarily O&D traffic. Therefore, would it not be more suitable for a less 'premium' airline to serve these types of routes, such as BE? I know BE don't fly from LGW anymore (apart from to NQY), but would EZY or FR not be better suited? I would have thought this route is primarily served by leisure pax rather than business pax. I can't imagine there would be many people booking Club Europe seats to small French airports? I could be wrong...

[email protected]

Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:34 am

Lots of second home owners and more sophisticated tourists.
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

SCQ83

Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:36 am

I reckon the logic of Gatwick-Rennes with VY and Gatwick-Limoges with BA is that Rennes will be a mix of French and British pax and Limoges will be overwhelmingly British.

So BA prioritizes British passengers (Oneworld status, etc) while those with a mix of passengers in cities where VY is known get the Vueling treatment.

Btw Ryanair already serves Stansted-Limoges. They serve a trillion small French airports, mainly from STN and CRL.

8herveg
Topic Author

Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:50 am

SCQ83 wrote:
I reckon the logic of Gatwick-Rennes with VY and Gatwick-Limoges with BA is that Rennes will be a mix of French and British pax and Limoges will be overwhelmingly British.

So BA prioritizes British passengers (Oneworld status, etc) while those with a mix of passengers in cities where VY is known get the Vueling treatment.

Btw Ryanair already serves Stansted-Limoges. They serve a trillion small French airports, mainly from STN and CRL.

Yep,aware that FR serve lots of French airports from STN. Just surprised that there is a market for BA to serve these types of routes to with a Business Class section.

Bongodog1964

Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:54 am

8herveg wrote:
SCQ83 wrote:

Yep,aware that FR serve lots of French airports from STN. Just surprised that there is a market for BA to serve these types of routes to with a Business Class section.

Its an area that attracts British expats with a fair amount of money. The Club Europe section will probably be filled with BA pilots commuting to work :rotfl: :rotfl:

GCT64

Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:33 am

8herveg wrote:
Just surprised that there is a market for BA to serve these types of routes to with a Business Class section.

Do they need to offer business class. Aren't the seats and seat pitch up front exactly the same as the economy class seats, so can't they just simply configure the booking system for these flights to be all Y and not offer business class at all?
Flown in: A20N,A21N,A30B,A306,A310,A319,A320,A321,A332,A333,A343,A346,A359,A388,BA11,BU31,(..56 more types..),VC10,WESX

8herveg
Topic Author

Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:55 am

GCT64 wrote:
8herveg wrote:
Just surprised that there is a market for BA to serve these types of routes to with a Business Class section.

Do they need to offer business class. Aren't the seats and seat pitch up front exactly the same as the economy class seats, so can't they just simply configure the booking system for these flights to be all Y and not offer business class at all?

In theory, yes. But I can't imagine there has ever been a flight into Europe which hasn't sold any Club seats. Perhaps just 3 or 4 seats on a flight, but not none. They would never block it off/not sell them altogether.

RacheyFlies

Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:24 pm

Oh, but does anyone know which aircraft is going to operate this route?
The best plane I've flown is an A380. They were the biggest and the best than other plane I've been on. :lol:

Bongodog1964

Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:45 pm

RacheyFlies wrote:

As its from LGW it will be either an A319 or A320. I'd bet on it being a 319.

Cunard

Sat Nov 26, 2016 12:36 am

RacheyFlies wrote:

As Bongodog1964 points out, as the British Airways short haul fleet at LGW only consist of only two aircraft types the Airbus 319 and Airbus 320 it's obvious it will be flown by that type although I agree with Bongodog1964 it will more than likely be a 319 were see on the route.

Limoges is a popular destination flown by BE from SOU for a few years now and this new route with BA may well have an affect on SOU route.

One fact of the day Limoges being a beautiful town as it is but it's also known for its Porcelain.
94 Countries, 327 Destinations Worldwide, 32 Airlines, 29 Aircraft Types, 182 Airports, 335 Flights.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos