winterlight
Topic Author

Ryanair flights could one day be free

Wed Nov 23, 2016 3:30 pm

Ryanair chief executive Michael O'Leary has claimed that seats on the airline's flights could be free by 2026.

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/news/rya ... =ACERDHP15
Question everything. Trust no-one.

JAmie2k9

Re: Ryanair flights could one day be free

Wed Nov 23, 2016 3:34 pm

Also claimed 10 €$£ T/A flights. Both will never happen!

N202PA

Wed Nov 23, 2016 3:34 pm

Free is entirely too expensive for Ryanair...

jomur

Wed Nov 23, 2016 5:23 pm

Is that completely "free" to the passenger or just the flight part so the passenger will still have to pay all the taxes and fees imposed by the governments etc?

Can't see them making any money doing that... Why would passengers get a free flight then spend money at the airport.. I certainly wouldn't...
If I was another airline flyinf to the same airport I wouldn't want my passenegrs giving money to another airline.
Ryanair might as well just buy the airport and be done with it.
Just more free publicity for Ryanair

c933103

Wed Nov 23, 2016 5:32 pm

Local LCC UO have had quite a few free ticket promotions in the past but then there are all sort of additional fee adding together and round trip cost become US$100.
Say NO to Hong Kong police's cooperation with criminal organizations like triad.

yyz717

Wed Nov 23, 2016 5:39 pm

This is not new per se. MOL stated years ago that his goal was to drive fares to zero (or close to) and derive most revenue (or all revenue) from ancillary fares.
I dumped at the gybe mark in strong winds when I looked up at a Porter Q400 on finals. Can't stop spotting.

PatrickZ80

Wed Nov 23, 2016 5:44 pm

jomur wrote:
Is that completely "free" to the passenger or just the flight part so the passenger will still have to pay all the taxes and fees imposed by the governments etc?

Can't see them making any money doing that... Why would passengers get a free flight then spend money at the airport.. I certainly wouldn't...
If I was another airline flyinf to the same airport I wouldn't want my passenegrs giving money to another airline.
Ryanair might as well just buy the airport and be done with it.
Just more free publicity for Ryanair

In Europe all airlines, including Ryanair, are obliged to include all taxes and fees in the ticket price. Charging for them on top of the ticket price is illegal and doesn't happen, so if Ryanair claims these flights to be free they will really be free.

Of course it's only the flight itself that is free, but not all the extras. No free checked luggage, no free priority boarding, no free seat picking, no free online check-in more than a week in advance, no free food and drinks on board. All of those extras still cost money, so mostly you still end up paying. Plus they offer all kind of things for sale on board on which they also make money. The cheaper you got your flight, the more you're willing to spend money on board.

Besides that, it'll never be all seats that are free. Even if they offer half their seats for free, the other half will still pay so they still earn enough money to operate the flight.

And don't forget, FR has got other sources of income as well. I once heard that at NRN they own the parking lot at the airport, so all parking fees go directly to Ryanair.

adamblang

Wed Nov 23, 2016 5:58 pm

We all know Michael O'Leary says crazy things to grab headlines and generate free marketing for his airline, right? Nothing he says – free flights, paid bathrooms, standing-only flights – should be taken at face value.

It's a publicity stunt.

And we fall for it every. single. time.
146 319 320 321 332 333 343 717 734 735 73G 738 739 744 752 753 763 764 772 773 789 AR1 AT4 CNA CR2 CR7 DC9 ER3 ERD ER4 E70 E75 E90

persiangulf93

Wed Nov 23, 2016 6:19 pm

JAmie2k9 wrote:

That does exist. BRU-Berlin and Hamburg 4.99 or 9.98 return. ;)

piedmontf284000

Wed Nov 23, 2016 6:31 pm

As PT Barnum once said..."There is a sucker born every minute"

Cipango

Wed Nov 23, 2016 6:54 pm

persiangulf93 wrote:
JAmie2k9 wrote:

T/A means Transatlantic which has not happened and probably never will...
Let's fly! Unless it's on a CRJ 200, then I'll stay down here.

BartSimpson

Wed Nov 23, 2016 6:56 pm

persiangulf93 wrote:
JAmie2k9 wrote:

JAmie is talking of transatlantic (= T/A) flights.

Mortyman

Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:54 pm

Michael O'Leary has said this for several years now. Nothing new ...

panampreflight

Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:25 pm

N202PA wrote:
Free is entirely too expensive for Ryanair...

:lol: :lol: :lol:

11725Flyer

Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:38 pm

Free flights will never happen. Never. Ever.

JibberJim

Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:52 pm

Many, many years ago, when Ryanair were needing passengers to fly to SUF to meet their subsidy guarantees, we paid 50p all taxes, fees and bags included for the flight.

senatorflyer

Thu Nov 24, 2016 12:01 am

I've paid once 1 € per leg for a return plus taxes with Lufthansa.

DFW789ER

Thu Nov 24, 2016 4:44 am

adamblang wrote:
We all know Michael O'Leary says crazy things to grab headlines and generate free marketing for his airline, right? Nothing he says – free flights, paid bathrooms, standing-only flights – should be taken at face value.

It's a publicity stunt.

And we fall for it every. single. time.

Not everyone falls for it. No such thing is free no matter what they say.

PatrickZ80

Thu Nov 24, 2016 7:22 am

senatorflyer wrote:

But "plus taxes" is no longer allowed in Europe, so if a flight is advertised for one euro you really only pay one euro. There have been times when additional taxes were common, but those are gone.

UAL777UK

Thu Nov 24, 2016 7:59 am

I think he is right and in other news British Airways is going to purchase Virgin Atlantic and the new carrier will be known as British Virgin!

Not going to happen!

SCQ83

Thu Nov 24, 2016 8:03 am

PatrickZ80 wrote:
senatorflyer wrote:

But "plus taxes" is no longer allowed in Europe, so if a flight is advertised for one euro you really only pay one euro. There have been times when additional taxes were common, but those are gone.

I bought yesterday a 1 euro Volotea ticket in their Black Friday sale. When I saw the split in the confirmation email, there was a negative fare (something like -27 euro) to make up for the 28 euro taxes, so it ends up being 1 euro.

I wonder how legal it is to sell tickets to a loss.

flyingbird

Thu Nov 24, 2016 8:31 am

The day Ryanair flights are free you will have to pay

50€ for bus to airport
75€ for train from airport
100€ per day for airport parking
25€ to drop off from a car near the airport
10€ for a glass of water at the airport
15€ for a glass of water on board
5€ for using the toilet at the airport
10€ for using the toilet on board
30€ for a sandwich at the airport
40€ for airport wifi
10€ for a permission to use your smart phone on the airport
20€ to put a bag in the bins
15€ to use a personal electronic item on board
10€ to close the window blinds

CONGRATS! You are flying for FREE!

Every thinking person knows that there is nothing for free, someone has to pay for the party...

PanHAM

Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:30 am

You are wrong, there is FREE PR for Ryanair and MOL, all over Europe, by launching such press Releases.
Was Erlauben Erdogan!!!

stratocruiser

Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:44 am

11725Flyer wrote:
Free flights will never happen. Never. Ever.

Actually, for publicity purposes, I would not be surprised if we see some free seat offers from FR, but they would just be a very limited number of seats, on a very limited number of flights, bookable for a very limited period of time (as with most FR offers). Offering a seat for €4.99 is not much different to offering a free seat as neither is going to be profitable, but these offers attract potential customers to their website and I suspect the loss incurred on the few 'special offer seats' available is more than balanced by the additional bookings gained and the charges from the various ancillary fees. The bottom line is that it is all free publicity for FR, which is a philosophy they have utilised very effectively for years and which, though often laughable and even incredulous, has clearly had the desired effect of boosting their profitability making them one of the most successful airlines in the world.

bobscousin

Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:56 am

People here are saying that it will never be free or that there will still be extra charges, but go back ten years ago and I certainly did a free return flight with ryanair from London to Norway. Actually free, didn't need to enter any card details. They've done it before!

PhilBy

Thu Nov 24, 2016 12:48 pm

flyingbird wrote:
CONGRATS! You are flying for FREE!

Every thinking person knows that there is nothing for free, someone has to pay for the party...

I agree! The flights will have to cost at least as much as we currently pay to communicate via facebook, search on google and debate on Airliners. However given a similar business model there is reason that we need to pay more than that for our flights!

rojo

Thu Nov 24, 2016 3:27 pm

bobscousin wrote:
People here are saying that it will never be free or that there will still be extra charges, but go back ten years ago and I certainly did a free return flight with ryanair from London to Norway. Actually free, didn't need to enter any card details. They've done it before!

Back in 2004 - 2006 I flew 28 one way flights with Ryanair for £0.01 (under UK regulations you couldn't offer them for free so they had to charge you £0.01). I still have my credit card statements to prove it since most people on here keep thinking that one of the most profitable airlines in the world (FR) will go bankrupt if they offer flights for free...

FR has done it before and can do it again without having a huge impact to its profits... free flights generare a lot of free marketing (word of mouth)

cerealspiller

Thu Nov 24, 2016 3:49 pm

winterlight wrote:
Ryanair chief executive Michael O'Leary has claimed that seats on the airline's flights could be free by 2026.

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/news/rya ... =ACERDHP15

The flight itself is free, but the service fee for having your boarding pass scanned is $99.

ThePilot4Life

Thu Nov 24, 2016 4:11 pm

I don't think that you'll ever get a "free" flight, even not when you're choosing Ryanair. I guess that's just one another of O'Leary's insane ideas, like once as he wanted his passengers to pay for using the lavatory. As I read, they want to negotiate an agreement with their main hubs, which sets that Ryanair earns half of the turnover achieved by the airport. But I actually don't know how that should work out.

DoktorR

Thu Nov 24, 2016 8:10 pm

rojo wrote:
bobscousin wrote:

Back in 2004 - 2006 I flew 28 one way flights with Ryanair for £0.01 (under UK regulations you couldn't offer them for free so they had to charge you £0.01). I still have my credit card statements to prove it since most people on here keep thinking that one of the most profitable airlines in the world (FR) will go bankrupt if they offer flights for free...

FR has done it before and can do it again without having a huge impact to its profits... free flights generare a lot of free marketing (word of mouth)

I had the same experience. In my case 0.01€. I did 3 trips in total. The most "expensive" one was to Paris and including all transports to GRO (from Barcelona) and to BVA the overall cost was 47€ round trip. A total bargain.
Every time I talk about FR people still remember that, so indeed lots of free marketing.

eicvd

Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:56 pm

ThePilot4Life wrote:
I don't think that you'll ever get a "free" flight, even not when you're choosing Ryanair. I guess that's just one another of O'Leary's insane ideas, like once as he wanted his passengers to pay for using the lavatory. As I read, they want to negotiate an agreement with their main hubs, which sets that Ryanair earns half of the turnover achieved by the airport. But I actually don't know how that should work out.

Do people actually think O'Leary was serious when talking about paying to use the lavatory?, Jesus wept as they say! Like 99% of what Mick says it was BS that got people talking!
COYBIB

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos