Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

TurnaroudUK
Topic Author

QF 787-9 Question

Wed Nov 23, 2016 9:32 pm

Okay with QF launch the 787-9 with plans to fly direct from PER-LHR, my question is how is it going to be feesably possible. I get that some seat will be removed etc but I still dont believe that will be enought especially with differing winds on each leg. Does any one have any insight into this?

JeremyB

Re: QF 787-9 Question

Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:16 pm

TurnaroudUK wrote:
Okay with QF launch the 787-9 with plans to fly direct from PER-LHR, my question is how is it going to be feesably possible. I get that some seat will be removed etc but I still dont believe that will be enought especially with differing winds on each leg. Does any one have any insight into this?

According to Qantas it is possible. According to gcmapper it's just over 7800nm, 390nm longer then United's SFO-SIN. On that flight United expects to block a maximum of 35 seats during the winter months while heading west. Don't think Qantas would have to block more seats then that so it should be possible, around 200 passengers on the flight to London and close to full capacity towards Perth?

TWA772LR

Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:29 pm

I know a lot of the pax will be travelling to Sydney and Melbourne, but is there actually demand for Australia-London nonstop outside of those 2 cities? Or is QANTAS just going for prestige?
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

RacheyFlies

Thu Nov 24, 2016 12:32 am

I have seen the aircraft interior looks like for Business and Economy, but not yet for the Premium Economy. Interior looks like on the existing A330 to me.

I have understand that the 787-9 can possibly operate the LHR-PER route. In addition, QF has some other routes that the 787-9 features in.
The best plane I've flown is an A380. They were the biggest and the best than other plane I've been on. :lol:

DFW789ER

Thu Nov 24, 2016 12:58 am

TurnaroudUK wrote:

Don't buy those tickets just yet.....

http://www.news.com.au/travel/travel-up ... c83784f678

alasizon

Thu Nov 24, 2016 1:03 am

RacheyFlies wrote:
I have seen the aircraft interior looks like for Business and Economy, but not yet for the Premium Economy. Interior looks like on the existing A330 to me.

I have understand that the 787-9 can possibly operate the LHR-PER route. In addition, QF has some other routes that the 787-9 features in.

The interior that has been released looks nothing like the A330 other than an almost identical business class seat. Obviously you can't see the PE product since it hasn't been released yet. Not to mention the 787 uses different seats in economy (they appear to feature bigger IFE and a redesigned back)

And yes, obviously QF has other routes besides LHR-PER, they don't just order a place for one single route. Then again, I think all you did here was restate that QF is an airline that operates with a brain...
Airport (noun) - A construction site which airplanes tend to frequent

RacheyFlies

Thu Nov 24, 2016 1:26 am

alasizon wrote:
RacheyFlies wrote:

The interior that has been released looks nothing like the A330 other than an almost identical business class seat. Obviously you can't see the PE product since it hasn't been released yet. Not to mention the 787 uses different seats in economy (they appear to feature bigger IFE and a redesigned back)

And yes, obviously QF has other routes besides LHR-PER, they don't just order a place for one single route. Then again, I think all you did here was restate that QF is an airline that operates with a brain...

Note: I bet the interior is different than the A330's.
The best plane I've flown is an A380. They were the biggest and the best than other plane I've been on. :lol:

JAAlbert

Thu Nov 24, 2016 1:47 am

When an airline, such as United or Qantas, blocks seats, what method do they use? Do they simply block the last 35 seats, or 35 middle seats? Or are they random throughout the aircraft?

adamblang

Thu Nov 24, 2016 3:12 am

JAAlbert wrote:
When an airline, such as United or Qantas, blocks seats, what method do they use?

United blocks the sale of the tickets, not the selection of the seats.

benjjk

Thu Nov 24, 2016 3:29 am

TWA772LR wrote:
I know a lot of the pax will be travelling to Sydney and Melbourne, but is there actually demand for Australia-London nonstop outside of those 2 cities? Or is QANTAS just going for prestige?

Don't count on that... You'd get some for sure but I think most passengers would rather do SYD/MEL-DXB-LHR rather than SYD/MEL-PER-LHR.

Perth does have a large British expat population who would probably like this. The WA government and Perth Airport seem to be keen to subsidise the crap out of the route, like CBR and SQ. So there's probably enough in its favour to get the route going if oil prices behave but I can't see it ever being a huge money-maker.

N809FR

Thu Nov 24, 2016 3:37 am

RacheyFlies wrote:

Not trying to cause a big stir, but why are you using someone else's photo for your profile? It's easy to tell based on your English alone that you're not the Australian FA for Emirates. Probably best not to steal someone's username and a picture they posted from Instagram.

RacheyFlies

Thu Nov 24, 2016 8:11 am

Note: Qantas 787-9 Economy seat is previewed.
Source: http://www.ausbt.com.au/up-close-qantas ... onomy-seat

OA940

Thu Nov 24, 2016 11:08 am

With ~230 seats that's much less than the standard so there will be more range in play.
A350/CSeries = bae