dubaiamman243
Topic Author

Arabian aviation thread - 2017

Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:14 am

its better to have a thread for all Arab carriers instead of opening a new thread every time an issue arises.

Admins feel free to delete if not appropriate.
Last edited by SQ22 on Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Title updated
The next airline CEO :crossfingers:

dubaiamman243
Topic Author

Re: Arab Carriers thread.

Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:16 am

Qatar AIrways will be suspending flights to Asmra at year end.

Clipper101

Fri Nov 25, 2016 11:45 am

Nice one, but I suggest to have the thread as 'Arabian Aviation' so as to include & discuss wider aviation news emanating from the Arab states other than what concerns airlines, such as airport & air travel news for example, this is same direction as from other threads on A.net.

dubaiamman243
Topic Author

Fri Nov 25, 2016 11:47 am

Admins please change the title to "Arabian Aviation".

Clipper101

Fri Nov 25, 2016 1:05 pm

dubaiamman243 wrote:
Admins please change the title to "Arabian Aviation".

I think, but not so sure, that since you are the author of OP you have controls to change post title from your end.

PerfectGriffin

Fri Nov 25, 2016 6:08 pm

I don't know if this is thread worthy, but EK is in trouble. Profits are falling, aircraft are being parked, staff morale is low etc. EK had a big meeting on the 24th Nov, with Mueller in charge, to introduce all the changes they need implement. Some rumors even suggest the cancellation or conversion of future A380 orders. Not sure what is true or not, but clearly without EK the A380 won't survive.

http://www.economist.com/news/business/ ... cast-doubt

Clipper101

Fri Nov 25, 2016 6:15 pm

PerfectGriffin wrote:
I don't know if this is thread worthy, but EK is in trouble. Profits are falling, aircraft are being parked, staff morale is low etc. EK had a big meeting on the 24th Nov, with Mueller in charge, to introduce all the changes they need implement. Some rumors even suggest the cancellation or conversion of future A380 orders. Not sure what is true or not, but clearly without EK the A380 won't survive.

You have picked a source well known in this region for its exaggerated rehetoric !

PerfectGriffin

Fri Nov 25, 2016 6:25 pm

Clipper101 wrote:
PerfectGriffin wrote:

You have picked a source well known in this region for its exaggerated rehetoric !

Well that's not my only source. I just read what the EK pilots say on the pprune Middle East forum. Again, I'm not sure what is true or not, but I think EK's own staff would know more than anyone else.

Clipper101

Fri Nov 25, 2016 7:10 pm

PerfectGriffin wrote:
Clipper101 wrote:
PerfectGriffin wrote:

Well that's not my only source. I just read what the EK pilots say on the pprune Middle East forum. Again, I'm not sure what is true or not, but I think EK's own staff would know more than anyone else.

i.c., one of the posts (#228) stated there will be an announcement this Sunday, so lets wait for Sunday then.

coolian2

Fri Nov 25, 2016 7:27 pm

Middle Eastern Aviation may be a better title....
Q300/ATR72-600/737-200/-300/-400/-700/-800/A320/767-200/-300/757-200/777-300ER/
747-200/-300/-400/ER/A340-300/A380-800/MD-83/-88/CRJ-700/-900

dtw2hyd

Fri Nov 25, 2016 7:59 pm

Clipper101 wrote:
PerfectGriffin wrote:

Really, I thought The Economist was considered the most reputed magazine by troll army. For years they were always giving positive spin of management agenda and building positive brand image.

CM is smart, he is forcing TC to parrot his views thru established channels like The Economist. If you notice the last three interviews about 1) Competition from low-cost long haul 2) auxiliary fees and now about 3) A380 not working out.

This thread is a sign of things to come, hide behind a consolidated thread.

Clipper101

Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:10 pm

dtw2hyd wrote:
Really, I thought The Economist was considered the most reputed magazine

..... and you became to know that many do not necessarily share that view.

winginit

Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:29 pm

Clipper101 wrote:
PerfectGriffin wrote:

While you may have your opinions on the source, do you object to any of their claims?

- EK's profits have taken a beating as of late
- Uncertainty around the safety and security of the wider Middle East region has passengers choosing non-ME connect points
- Currency volatility is eating away at EK's revenues in many markets

Not sure I see anything in the linked article that is even controversial irrespective of where the information is coming from.

Clipper101

Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:08 pm

winginit wrote:
Clipper101 wrote:
PerfectGriffin wrote:

While you may have your opinions on the source, do you object to any of their claims?

- EK's profits have taken a beating as of late
- Uncertainty around the safety and security of the wider Middle East region has passengers choosing non-ME connect points
- Currency volatility is eating away at EK's revenues in many markets

Not sure I see anything in the linked article that is even controversial irrespective of where the information is coming from.

First & third points were already conveyed by EK itself, so it is not like these are a scoop material.

The second point about ‘middle east’, the situation has been around since 2011; you tell me from 2011 through 2016 how many airline fiscal years have passed & how many reportings in the ups & downs have been made !!?? But from 2011 thru 2016 some movements happened in air travel pattern: So instead blaming it on the ‘situation’ may be someone needs to do more homework to be more subjective by may be being more investigative on how carriers such as Air India & Air Canada are eating into some of their North American markets, or may be whether nordic airlines’ hubs are doing some influence on diverting East-West traffic away, may be even Ethiopian is beginning to do a good hubing job. BTW dig a little bit down from 2011 & reach 2008 and you would see same scrambling to tighten costs & conserve cash to weather that storm as you have today. Again, where is the scoop.

klm617

Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:12 pm

Does anyone have the inside scoop when on of the ME3 will land in Detroit. Their arrival is long over due.
the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...

winginit

Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:40 pm

Clipper101 wrote:

First & third points were already conveyed by EK itself, so it is not like these are a scoop material.

The second point about ‘middle east’, the situation has been around since 2011; you tell me from 2011 through 2016 how many airline fiscal years have passed & how many reportings in the ups & downs have been made !!?? But from 2011 thru 2016 some movements happened in air travel pattern: So instead blaming it on the ‘situation’ may be someone needs to do more homework to be more subjective by may be being more investigative on how carriers such as Air India & Air Canada are eating into some of their North American markets, or may be whether nordic airlines’ hubs are doing some influence on diverting East-West traffic away, may be even Ethiopian is beginning to do a good hubing job. BTW dig a little bit down from 2011 & reach 2008 and you would see same scrambling to tighten costs & conserve cash to weather that storm as you have today. Again, where is the scoop.

And yet the point of the article is that EK in particular but likely all of the ME3 are entering a period of relative financial hardship, which seems undeniable. So why attack the source if their point is accurate?

Clipper101

Fri Nov 25, 2016 11:15 pm

winginit wrote:
And yet the point of the article is that EK in particular but likely all of the ME3 are entering a period of relative financial hardship, which seems undeniable. So why attack the source if their point is accurate?

Before you raise up the volume, where did you see that conclusion of yours in the article exactly ? Besides throwing hints to drive up conclusions similar to your statement:

winginit wrote:

All what I am seeing is an article that is circling around the fate of A380 taking EK situation as a background.

winginit

Fri Nov 25, 2016 11:19 pm

Clipper101 wrote:
winginit wrote:

Before you raise up the volume, where did you see that conclusion of yours in the article exactly ? Besides throwing hints to drive up conclusions similar to your statement

Seems obvious no?

But over the past year or so problems have mounted. Low oil prices have hit the economies of many of Dubai’s neighbours, reducing regional passenger traffic. Terrorist attacks in cities and airports in Europe and the Middle East have dampened tourism activity generally.

In the year to March, Emirates made a record $1.9bn in profits, but since April its earnings have tumbled by 75%. Weak demand has forced it to slash its fares to keep planes full.

Does that not point out, in no uncertain terms whatsoever, that the carrier is entering a period of relative financial hardship?

Clipper101

Fri Nov 25, 2016 11:33 pm

winginit wrote:

Seems obvious no?

No its not !

senatorflyer

Fri Nov 25, 2016 11:45 pm

A company which expands and grows far too quickly will encounter a few problems and issues one way or the other resulting in right sizing at some point in the future. Nothing lasts forever without adjustments. It's only natural. Also the ME3 are fighting all for the same piece of cake which doesn't make it easier.

dtw2hyd

Sat Nov 26, 2016 11:12 am

Clipper101 wrote:
All what I am seeing is an article that is circling around the fate of A380 taking EK situation as a background.

What is your beef with The Economist? They as a close friend of TC, pinning blame solely on Airbus and A380 for current EK's pickle. TC has nothing to do with it, correct?

Glad Airbus didn't take the NEO bate.

Clipper101

Sat Nov 26, 2016 8:44 pm

Looks like Mr Samir Majali returned to RJA, but as member of the board this time as the representative on behalf of Mint Trading.

N14AZ

Sun Nov 27, 2016 9:57 am

So what about this "Sunday-EK-announcement"?

SVJ77W

Sun Nov 27, 2016 10:20 am

UAE's Air Arabia has confirmed 5 additional A320s

The delivery of original contract covering 44 firm orders and 5 options will be completed in 2017, the airline said in a statement.

http://www.arabianbusiness.com/uae-s-air-arabia-confirms-485m-deal-for-new-planes-653917.html

Clipper101

Sun Nov 27, 2016 2:52 pm

SVJ77W wrote:
UAE's Air Arabia has confirmed 5 additional A320s

The delivery of original contract covering 44 firm orders and 5 options will be completed in 2017, the airline said in a statement.

http://www.arabianbusiness.com/uae-s-air-arabia-confirms-485m-deal-for-new-planes-653917.html

These A320's look to be 'ceo', aren't Air Arabia going to switch to A320neo's soon?!

Rajahdhani

Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:01 pm

http://atwonline.com/airlines/brazil-cl ... tam-iag-jv
Conselho Administrativo de Defesa Econômica (CADE), Brazil’s competition authority, has approved Qatar Airways’ investment in LATAM Airlines Group, but the regulator has also expressed misgivings about LATAM’s proposed joint venture (JV) with International Airlines Group (IAG).

The approval of Qatar Airways taking up to a 10% stake in LATAM worth more than $600 million is welcome news for LATAM, the largest Latin American airline company, which believes foreign investment and transnational JVs are critical to its future.

I wonder how the likely denial of the JV (between AA and LATAM) will affect the quality of QR's investment in LATAM?

CanadaFair

Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:59 am

Flight radar is showing SW Italia 744 operating DOH-HKG for QR,, is this a second freighter they have leased or replaced the myCargo one?

atal17

Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:27 am

CanadaFair wrote:
Flight radar is showing SW Italia 744 operating DOH-HKG for QR,, is this a second freighter they have leased or replaced the myCargo one?

They've had several such changes in the past from Cargolux to a Chinese cargo carrier (I believe it came under the Hainan group, IIRC)

atal17

Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:49 am

Ignoring the above pointless discussion over the semantics of the title - lets move on to some news, shall we?

[*] Gulf Air returns to Colombo

5 times a week using the A320 -> http://www.routesonline.com/news/38/air ... -jan-2017/

The flights will connect to all of Gulf AIr's ME network + EU. This is another destination they've returned to, now that they have largely stabilised all their operations, following their resumptions into Dhaka, Hyderabad and Thiruvananthapuram & additions into Sialkot, Multan and Faisalabad

[*] Nesma Airlines expands within Saudi Arabia

Nesma AIrlines formally launched domestic operations into Saudi last month with domestic operations out of Ha'il using an ATR72-600 (initial destinations were to Qaisumah and Tabuk).

Last week, they took delivery of 2 wetleased A321s and 1 wetleased A320s from Small Planet AIrlines Poland, and used it to launch 6 daily Jeddah-Riyadh (mix of A320 & A321), 2 daily Jeddah-Dammam (A321) & 1 daily Jeddah-Ha'il (A320)

They've additionally added more ATR routes out of Ha'il including 1 additional daily Ha'il-Jeddah, and 1 daily each on Ha'il-Madinah & Ha'il-Turaif

http://www.routesonline.com/news/38/air ... 20airlines
http://www.routesonline.com/news/38/air ... -nov-2016/
http://www.routesonline.com/news/38/air ... 20airlines

[*] flynas expansion for the month of November/December

From the beginning of the month, flynas has opened their 4th base at Abha, with daily operations each to Al-Baha, Bisha, Jizan and Wadi-al-Dawasir (also advertised according to their routemap are Abha-Nejran and Abha-Sharurah, but not launched).

Last week, flynas also commenced operations between Madinah and Istanbul-Sabiha Gokcen (hard to pull up schedule for this route, but the route is being advertised on their website).

From next month, flynas is expected to expand cooperation with Etihad Airways by adding a new 4 weekly service between Dammam & Abu Dhabi, following their June addition of Jeddah-Abu Dhabi, and their increase of Riyadh-Abu Dhabi to 2 daily.

[*] Salam Air receives its first A320

Salam Air, Oman's first LCC, received the first of 3 A320s from LATAM. It hopes to begin operations by the end of this year, with the debut destination to be Salalah, followed by Dubai and Jeddah.

http://www.flights.com.kw/omani-startup ... irst-a320/

dubaiamman243
Topic Author

Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:33 am

Emirates has been rejected from flying the A380 to Casablanca, Morocco despite completing all the requirements.

Clipper101

Mon Nov 28, 2016 1:22 pm

dubaiamman243 wrote:
Emirates has been rejected from flying the A380 to Casablanca, Morocco despite completing all the requirements.

I found this article which I translated from French:

https://translate.google.jo/translate?h ... rev=search

And as I understood it, the service should have been started from Nov 27th (translated quote):

In a statement, Emirates confirms that it has not received permission to operate the airliner "even though it has met all the necessary conditions to land at Mohammed V Airport". The services of the A380 to the economic capital of Morocco were to start yesterday, Sunday 27 November.

but there was a refusal due to technical reasons (translated quote):

An Emirates spokesman said that the group had received information "from the airport authorities that they were not prepared to receive the plane for technical reasons".

But still not clear if they meant the start of a regular service from 27th Nov. or if it was a once-off ceremonial visit for the time being like they did with Amman !

Clipper101

Wed Nov 30, 2016 3:56 pm

Good, since wider A.net audience are now starting accepting the reality of the thread, we are moving on!

redadeco wrote:
Regarding the A380 at CMN, there's a technical issue that prevents the aircraft from landing (lack of appropriate gates). The refurbished T1 will be ready in March and the A380 will land for the first time on March 27th as agreed between EK and CMN authority.

As for the expected flight, are we sure if it is the start of a regular A380 service from March 27th or is it a one-off visit ? I saw schedules on EK portal beyond 27th March and there is only one flight with equipment still showing B773ER, could it be system is still not updated for an A380?!

Clipper101

Wed Nov 30, 2016 4:10 pm

OGLOBAL wrote:
is there really a huge demand between cmn and dxb and beyond ? i would've never imagined cmn being a 380 destination to be honest

QR are also promoting themselves in Morocco:

http://www.qatarairways.com/uk/en/press ... 0000001105

redadeco

Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:20 pm

OGLOBAL wrote:

is there really a huge demand between cmn and dxb and beyond ? i would've never imagined cmn being a 380 destination to be honest

Of course there is demand, Asian and Gulf tourists mainly come through DXB/AUH/DOH (same goes for Asia-bound Moroccans), lots of Moroccans based in the Gulf, strong political relationships, in short EK won't have a hard time filling the A380.

EY now serves RBA and QR extended its CMN flight to RAK, I personally was not surprised to see EK upgauge from 77W to A380.

OGLOBAL

Thu Dec 01, 2016 3:34 am

redadeco wrote:
OGLOBAL wrote:

Of course there is demand, Asian and Gulf tourists mainly come through DXB/AUH/DOH (same goes for Asia-bound Moroccans), lots of Moroccans based in the Gulf, strong political relationships, in short EK won't have a hard time filling the A380.

EY now serves RBA and QR extended its CMN flight to RAK, I personally was not surprised to see EK upgauge from 77W to A380.

RAK isn't non stop from Doha ? i am going to RAK for new year and prices are very high from gcc or asia in general so i might just fly through europe

atal17

Thu Dec 01, 2016 3:38 am

OGLOBAL wrote:
redadeco wrote:
OGLOBAL wrote:

RAK isn't non stop from Doha ? i am going to RAK for new year and prices are very high from gcc or asia in general so i might just fly through europe

Its nonstop one way ->

QR1395 DOH0730 – 1325CMN1450 – 1540RAK1640 – 0245+1DOH 788 357

debonair

Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:47 am

New Croatian start-up airline SOUTH EUROPEAN AIRLINES confirmed the acquisition of two ex Emirates B777-200 via a "major investment bank".
These 2 a/c will operate for German tour operator Meridian Air Charter Service to Colombo and Bangkok from 2017 onwards...

Can anyone confirm, that EK most recently sold 2 of their B777-200 (to a major investment bank)? Which registrations?

dubaiamman243
Topic Author

Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:02 pm

The first scheduled Emirates A380 flight has landed earlier today at Doha Hamad international Airport.

dubaiamman243
Topic Author

Sun Dec 11, 2016 5:12 pm

MEA is in discussion to buy 4 A330s or B788. The order is expected in January 2017.

dubaiamman243
Topic Author

Sun Dec 18, 2016 9:42 am

Emirates is in the process of announcing a partnership deal with a LCC.

dubaiamman243
Topic Author

Sun Dec 18, 2016 9:43 am

Emirates will be flying the A380 to Casablanca starting from March 2017

Clipper101

Sun Dec 18, 2016 11:15 am

I have noticed they switched from A380 to B77W on their MUC morning flight !

dubaiamman243
Topic Author

Sun Dec 18, 2016 12:26 pm

Emirates First and Business class lounges will be accessible for non-skywards members.

First class lounge = $200
Business class lounge = $100

Erebus

Mon Dec 19, 2016 4:38 am

Couldn't find a thread specific to this news but I thought I'd introduce it in here.

Etihad Airways is cutting jobs to reduce costs as growth slows

With this news, EK's profitability pressures, and QR's slow uptake of aircraft, are the ME3 carriers headed for some difficult times ahead with respect to growth?

dubaiamman243
Topic Author

Fri Dec 30, 2016 9:27 am

QATAR Airways to operate A350 service to Male in Maldives, Brussels and Geneva.

CanadaFair

Sat Dec 31, 2016 2:27 am

Etihad Cargo have reduced their 747 fleet to just one 747-400, they had two of the type plus a 747-8. New service started to Columbus USA, Copenhagen, East Midlands and Stansted.

Emirates Cargo have returned to Kabul, this time with 777 once weekly.

dubaiamman243
Topic Author

Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:40 am

Qatar Airways to operate A350 to Tehran Imam Khomeini 31MAR17, 08/14/25APR17, 01MAY17, 12AUG17. Further changes possible

Qatar Airways A350 to fly to Dammam on regular basis from 26MAR17, Amman from 03APR17

Source: https://twitter.com/Airlineroute

Eyad89

Sun Jan 01, 2017 12:25 pm

dubaiamman243 wrote:
Qatar Airways to operate A350 to Tehran Imam Khomeini 31MAR17, 08/14/25APR17, 01MAY17, 12AUG17. Further changes possible

Qatar Airways A350 to fly to Dammam on regular basis from 26MAR17, Amman from 03APR17

Source: https://twitter.com/Airlineroute

The Dammam flight would be the shortest flight A350 is currently operating? that's a half an hour flight. I guess it is used there to increase fleet utilization instead of having them sit around between long haul flights.

Clipper101

Sun Jan 01, 2017 12:49 pm

dubaiamman243 wrote:
Amman from 03APR17

If I am not mistaken, they already had visits to Amman so this won't be a first

CanadaFair

Wed Jan 04, 2017 5:27 am

Why are Qatar Airways showing Al Maha livery aircraft in their inflght magazine fleet section, isnt this airline over with after Saudi refused them AOC to fly domestic?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos