AirStunt
Topic Author

Canada-France route outside of Toronto & Montreal

Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:07 pm

Does AC have any plans in near future to expand the CDG route beyond YYZ & YUL? Are there any considerations in their management to have direct CDG flights from YVR, YYC or YOW in the near future? Why are they still at CDG 2A instead of T1 where almost all the other *A carriers are?

Until AF began the CDG-YVR route last year, it seems as if regular services have been difficult to develop on the Canadian-French direct services outside of YYZ and YUL even as it has been 7-8 years since Canada and the EU have had the open skies agreement. Any particular reasons for that? TS has limited YVR, YYC and YQB flights during peak summer months.

yoni

Re: Canada-France route outside of Toronto & Montreal

Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:30 pm

AC seems to prioritize other French destinations such Lyon, Marseilles, and Nice in direct competition with TS instead of starting new routes from Canadian airports.

They used to fly YYR-CDG years ago (probably with Canadian Airlines, I am not sure). It would be easier to fly YYR-CDG or YYC-CDG with AC rouge during the peak season.

Concerning CDG 2A, I believe that AC wants to remain in that terminal even though most of Star Alliance carriers are located in a different terminal.

Thenoflyzone

Fri Nov 25, 2016 11:47 pm

AirStunt wrote:
Does AC have any plans in near future to expand the CDG route beyond YYZ & YUL? Are there any considerations in their management to have direct CDG flights from YVR, YYC or YOW in the near future?

YYC-CDG and YVR-CDG have been identified as future route opportunities for AC. Not sure when or if they will be served. AC has been expanding internationally from YYZ, YVR and YUL, all the while ignoring YYC. I think the Albertan economy can be partly blamed for that, but also another aspect to consider is that 3 hubs is already plenty for AC. I don't think they are too interesting in expanding out of Calgary, at least not at the same pace compared to the big 3 hubs.

You also have to understand that a market like YUL-France is almost larger than all of the Western Canada-Europe flights combined (that includes YVR, YYC and YEG)

That being said, I think there is a market for Paris from Calgary and Ottawa, and I believe an LCC (like Norwegian for example) is a perfect fit to operate such routes on a seasonal basis.

AirStunt wrote:
Why are they still at CDG 2A instead of T1 where almost all the other *A carriers are?

AC interlines with AF, which is why they are at CDG 2A instead of T1. Easier for connections.

http://beta.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/hom ... tners.html
us Air Traffic Controllers have a good record, we haven't left one up there yet !!

ryan78

Sat Nov 26, 2016 1:30 am

yoni wrote:
They used to fly YYR-CDG years ago (probably with Canadian Airlines, I am not sure). It would be easier to fly YYR-CDG or YYC-CDG with AC rouge during the peak season.

By YYR I'm assuming you meant YVR Vancouver? YYR is Goose Bay, NL, population 7500. :thumbsup:

It all comes down to demand. With the amount of connectivity in YYZ and YUL the direct flights aren't exactly warranted for places like YOW. Same out West, traffic can be funneled from YVR/YYC/YEG/YWG etc. to YYZ or YUL. These connections aren't exactly ideal but I don't think the markets from other cities are big enough for a direct flight. Realistically YYC could probably support a few seasonal flights over the summer but that's about it, everything else is served well with the existing routes and seasonal demands. If anyone were to step into the smaller Canadian cities to France market, it would be Transat and I don't see that happening any time soon.

fly2yyz

Sat Nov 26, 2016 1:48 am

AirStunt wrote:
Why are they still at CDG 2A instead of T1 where almost all the other *A carriers are?.

I believe the reason for this is also because the MLL, AC's lounge, is in 2A. And its less about connecting traffic at CDG but more O&D to CDG.

pzurita1

Sat Nov 26, 2016 3:27 am

Though not big traffic, do not forget Saint Pierre et Miquelon, which is part of France. Its airport has flights to Halifax and Saint John's.
Next flight: IAH-DBX-MRU-ANT

usflyer123

Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:35 pm

pzurita1 wrote:
Though not big traffic, do not forget Saint Pierre et Miquelon, which is part of France. Its airport has flights to Halifax and Saint John's.

the airline has flights to YUL where pax can connect to AF YUL-CDG flight.
for most people the sky is the limit. for those who love aviation, the sky is home...

steveinbc

Sat Nov 26, 2016 7:12 pm

YVR-CDG is served by Air France direct nonstop on a B772. I understand that AC Rouge is starting a seasonal YVR-CDG in S17 which will compete with both the AF metal and the Air Transat (twice?) weekly service. There are no plans that I am aware of for AC mainline service within the next year
A319 320 321 330 340 380 B707 727 737 747 757 767 777 787 BAe1-11 Trident 1, 2, 3B Viscount Lancaster VC10 HS748, ATP DHC-1, 3 Dash-8 Dash-400 Shorts 330 360 Embraer Banderiante Brasileria 175 190 BAe146 Saab 200 DC-3 -8 -9 -10 MD-11 ATR42-72

goldorak

Sat Nov 26, 2016 7:12 pm

fly2yyz wrote:
AirStunt wrote:
Why are they still at CDG 2A instead of T1 where almost all the other *A carriers are?.

I believe the reason for this is also because the MLL, AC's lounge, is in 2A. And its less about connecting traffic at CDG but more O&D to CDG.

No, they could use *A lounge in T1 if they would move there. AC wants to stay in 2A because it is their interest. There is a significant number of pax connecting AF (domestic) to/from AC in CDG. So AC is much better located in 2A for that kind of connections.

Thenoflyzone

Sat Nov 26, 2016 9:12 pm

steveinbc wrote:
I understand that AC Rouge is starting a seasonal YVR-CDG in S17 which will compete with both the AF metal and the Air Transat (twice?) weekly service.

Nothing announced about this so far. Interesting if indeed true.
us Air Traffic Controllers have a good record, we haven't left one up there yet !!

fly2yyz

Sat Nov 26, 2016 9:59 pm

goldorak wrote:
fly2yyz wrote:
AirStunt wrote:

No, they could use *A lounge in T1 if they would move there. AC wants to stay in 2A because it is their interest. There is a significant number of pax connecting AF (domestic) to/from AC in CDG. So AC is much better located in 2A for that kind of connections.

they COULD...but they DONT. Like I said...its ALSO one of the reasons.

yoni

Sun Nov 27, 2016 12:39 am

ryan78 wrote:
yoni wrote:

By YYR I'm assuming you meant YVR Vancouver? YYR is Goose Bay, NL, population 7500. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the correction. YYR sounds nice too.

Viscount724

Sun Nov 27, 2016 1:44 am

fly2yyz wrote:
AirStunt wrote:

AC also has a lot of connections with AF at CDG, especially to/from domestic points in France, making T2 much more convenient. I doubt AC has much Star Alliance connecting traffic at CDG. Most of that goes via FRA/ZRH/MUC/BRU due to their revenue-sharing alliance with LH/LX/OS/SN (and UA).

I recall some years ago when AC was forced to temporarily move to T1 at CDG due to construction at T2, AC strongly protested.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos