Jkraid
Topic Author
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2016 5:29 am

Qatar Airways: DOH-CBR

Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:06 am

Qatar Airways has announced it's plans to make direct flights from Doha, Qatar to Canberra, Australia in 2017-18. The dates aren't confirmed but it will be Canberra's 2nd flight in and out of Australia along side Singapore Airlines.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-11-29/canberra-airport-international-flights-qatar-airways/8073550
 
Gemuser
Posts: 5044
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2003 12:07 pm

Re: Qatar Airways: DOH-CBR

Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:42 pm

Nowhere in that article does it say that the QR flight is direct. Remembering that to an airline "direct does NOT equal non-stop". I assume it would be a direct flight via an intermediate point as I seriously doubt that a B777 can get out of CBR non stop to DOH. SQ operate non stop CBR-SIN with a B772 but DOH is almost twice as far.

Gemuser
 
DFW789ER
Posts: 399
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2016 11:20 pm

Re: Qatar Airways: DOH-CBR

Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:10 am

Gemuser wrote:
Nowhere in that article does it say that the QR flight is direct. Remembering that to an airline "direct does NOT equal non-stop". I assume it would be a direct flight via an intermediate point as I seriously doubt that a B777 can get out of CBR non stop to DOH. SQ operate non stop CBR-SIN with a B772 but DOH is almost twice as far.

Gemuser


I doubt it'll be nonstop, and not necessarily on a 772. Depending on the stop, a 789 could work.
 
IndianicWorld
Posts: 3309
Joined: Mon Jun 04, 2001 11:32 am

Re: Qatar Airways: DOH-CBR

Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:27 am

I can see it being DOH-CBR-SYD-DOH.

It makes sense to add additional capacity into SYD, which is said to be doing very well for QR, and this is a way of getting around the bi-lateral restrictions.

Non-stop DOH-CBR-DOH seems harder to see paying off but lets wait and see. QR love their announcements but sometimes things drag out and decisions change.
 
DeltaB717
Posts: 1692
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:49 am

Re: Qatar Airways: DOH-CBR

Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:51 am

Quoting Stephen Byron, the Managing Director of Canberra Airport in a press conference on Tuesday:

"They'll be direct to Doha. So, in the same way that the flights from Dublin will be direct to Doha, the flights from Las Vegas and from Canberra and Santiago will all be direct to Doha".
 
VapourTrails
Posts: 3771
Joined: Fri Aug 17, 2001 9:30 pm

Re: Qatar Airways: DOH-CBR

Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:06 am

DeltaB717 wrote:
Quoting Stephen Byron, the Managing Director of Canberra Airport in a press conference on Tuesday:

"They'll be direct to Doha. So, in the same way that the flights from Dublin will be direct to Doha, the flights from Las Vegas and from Canberra and Santiago will all be direct to Doha".


Gemuser wrote:
Nowhere in that article does it say that the QR flight is direct. Remembering that to an airline "direct does NOT equal non-stop". I assume it would be a direct flight via an intermediate point as I seriously doubt that a B777 can get out of CBR non stop to DOH. SQ operate non stop CBR-SIN with a B772 but DOH is almost twice as far.

Gemuser


The aircraft will likely be the A350, according to the press conference.
 
VapourTrails
Posts: 3771
Joined: Fri Aug 17, 2001 9:30 pm

Re: Qatar Airways: DOH-CBR

Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:20 am

DFW789ER wrote:
I doubt it'll be nonstop, and not necessarily on a 772. Depending on the stop, a 789 could work.


A 777-300ER did a non-stop DOH-CBR flight in December 2014, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yj3Pf-wu5ME,
Qatar Airways Boeing 777-300ER - Golden Hour Landing at Canberra Airport, SydneyAirportSpotter, Dec 29, 2014.
 
winginit
Posts: 2622
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:23 pm

Re: Qatar Airways: DOH-CBR

Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:33 am

Am I going to be the first to say that this route will unquestionably bleed red ink? Madness.
 
jupiter2
Posts: 1735
Joined: Tue Jan 02, 2001 11:30 am

Re: Qatar Airways: DOH-CBR

Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:47 am

RWY 17/35 is 3283 metres or 10770 ft, plenty of distance to get something nonstop to Doha. I would expect it to be a 350, or possibly a 77L to start with. Couldn't see it more than 3 p/w, unless it is linked through another Australian port though.
 
User avatar
mariner
Posts: 19473
Joined: Fri Nov 23, 2001 7:29 am

Re: Qatar Airways: DOH-CBR

Wed Nov 30, 2016 2:22 am

winginit wrote:
Am I going to be the first to say that this route will unquestionably bleed red ink? Madness.


Well, maybe.

I don't know enough about it to say that it is "madness" - I don't know the frequency or times, I don't know if Qatar will have any deals for feed from other places. I don't know if it will tag on to SYD which might make the service a bit more attractive for some.

And who knows what it might provoke? It might even be the kick in the arse that Air New Zealand seems to need to start AKL-CBR.

I guess I prefer to wait and see rather than rush to judgement, but my hope is that it does well.

mariner
 
smi0006
Posts: 2443
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:45 am

Re: Qatar Airways: DOH-CBR

Wed Nov 30, 2016 3:01 am

mariner wrote:
winginit wrote:
Am I going to be the first to say that this route will unquestionably bleed red ink? Madness.


Well, maybe.

I don't know enough about it to say that it is "madness" - I don't know the frequency or times, I don't know if Qatar will have any deals for feed from other places. I don't know if it will tag on to SYD which might make the service a bit more attractive for some.

And who knows what it might provoke? It might even be the kick in the arse that Air New Zealand seems to need to start AKL-CBR.

I guess I prefer to wait and see rather than rush to judgement, but my hope is that it does well.


mariner


I agree! Too much negativity on Anet these days. Let's just be excited for a new route, and aircraft into CBR. It's not like they will ruin the cooperative landscape with this move.

I do believe QR has a significant freight custom in AU. They used to often fly & road freight ex-MEL to PER to uplift ex-MEL as they didn't have the capacity out of MEL. Not certain if this still occurs with ADL closer. Perhaps with SYD being an 380 (hardly a freight hauler) over flow cargo can be roaded to CBR? The same for MEL should it ever be upgauged to a 380.

Cargo combined with a subsidy from CBR airport could make this route work ok.
 
CBRboy
Posts: 179
Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2007 2:03 pm

Re: Qatar Airways: DOH-CBR

Wed Nov 30, 2016 3:27 am

Some comments have been quick to dismiss this route's profitability. It is easy to underestimate the significance of the government-generated premium fare international traffic originating in Canberra. Combine that with a comparatively well-paid population with a propensity for international holiday travel and the outrageous international add-on fares charged by domestic airlines for connections to international fights from SYD and MEL, and you may be surprised at demand. Connecting via SYD or MEL also adds hours to an international trip from or to CBR. Do not be surprised if QF+EK and VA+EY lose a significant part of their business from CBR to the Middle East and Europe.
 
behramjee
Posts: 5007
Joined: Sat Aug 02, 2003 4:56 am

Re: Qatar Airways: DOH-CBR

Wed Nov 30, 2016 5:23 am

Question for all...does Australia govt travel policy have anything similar to the Fly America Act which in turn would force Aussie officials into using QF or VA or their codeshared flight to the furthest point wherever possible ?

If there is something in place then wouldn't the purpose of QR getting a lot of premium J class traffic on this route be irrelevant due to the law of the land in Australia?
 
skyhawkmatthew
Posts: 480
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2005 4:42 pm

Re: Qatar Airways: DOH-CBR

Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:42 am

jupiter2 wrote:
RWY 17/35 is 3283 metres or 10770 ft, plenty of distance to get something nonstop to Doha.


The runway is long, but it also has terrain off both ends, is at 1900' elevation, and is often hot. A 77W can hardly even break 300 tonnes TOW in nil wind, 15°C off 35.
Qantas - The Spirit of Australia.
 
Clarkxwb
Posts: 18
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2016 5:15 am

Re: Qatar Airways: DOH-CBR

Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:05 am

I cannot see this route lasting. What about Brisbane instead?
 
User avatar
Qatara340
Posts: 1686
Joined: Mon May 29, 2006 2:07 am

Re: Qatar Airways: DOH-CBR

Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:16 am

QR cannot increase flights to SYD, MEL, PER, without stopping at another secondary AUS city. QR has used all its bilaterals to AUS--but they do have unlimited frequencies to cities other SYD, BNE, MEL, and PER.
لا اله الا الله محمد رسول الله
 
bill142
Posts: 7864
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 1:50 pm

Re: Qatar Airways: DOH-CBR

Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:49 am

behramjee wrote:
Question for all...does Australia govt travel policy have anything similar to the Fly America Act which in turn would force Aussie officials into using QF or VA or their codeshared flight to the furthest point wherever possible ?


No it doesn't. But it does have a panel of airlines who offer the government preferential rates. Qatar is on the panel.

https://www.finance.gov.au/procurement/ ... l#airlines
 
BNEFlyer
Posts: 218
Joined: Fri Oct 27, 2006 6:41 am

Re: Qatar Airways: DOH-CBR

Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:29 am

Qatara340 wrote:
QR cannot increase flights to SYD, MEL, PER, without stopping at another secondary AUS city. QR has used all its bilaterals to AUS--but they do have unlimited frequencies to cities other SYD, BNE, MEL, and PER.


That's currently under review and is expected to be expanded, allowing service to BNE.
 
User avatar
Qatara340
Posts: 1686
Joined: Mon May 29, 2006 2:07 am

Re: Qatar Airways: DOH-CBR

Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:14 am

BNEFlyer wrote:
Qatara340 wrote:
QR cannot increase flights to SYD, MEL, PER, without stopping at another secondary AUS city. QR has used all its bilaterals to AUS--but they do have unlimited frequencies to cities other SYD, BNE, MEL, and PER.


That's currently under review and is expected to be expanded, allowing service to BNE.


I hope so; I would love to visit BNE directly from here!
لا اله الا الله محمد رسول الله
 
incitatus
Posts: 3333
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2005 1:49 am

Re: Qatar Airways: DOH-CBR

Wed Nov 30, 2016 5:36 pm

CBR by itself seems to be just a fantasy. It is not CBR-DOH, it is CBR-DUHH!

A similar route would be DOH-YOW, Ottawa, Canada. Just like Canberra is served from Singapore, Ottawa is served from London, and those are about the same distance flights. But SIN-CBR is just 4 x week, and YOW is daily in the Summer and gets FRA seasonal too. DOH-YOW is also almost a couple of hours shorter than DOH-CBR. Ottawa has triple the population of Canberra. YOW would be much more viable except Canada does not want QR. There would be plenty of Middle East, India and Pakistan traffic to fill a QR flight.
I do not consume Murdoch products including the Wall Street Journal
 
User avatar
mariner
Posts: 19473
Joined: Fri Nov 23, 2001 7:29 am

Re: Qatar Airways: DOH-CBR

Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:23 pm

bill142 wrote:
behramjee wrote:
Question for all...does Australia govt travel policy have anything similar to the Fly America Act which in turn would force Aussie officials into using QF or VA or their codeshared flight to the furthest point wherever possible ?


No it doesn't. But it does have a panel of airlines who offer the government preferential rates. Qatar is on the panel.

https://www.finance.gov.au/procurement/ ... l#airlines


Image

This link has is guide to air travel for Commonwealth staff, with two embedded pdf links - one for domestic, one for international, and also the use of business class.

There's some emphasis on "Best Fare of the Day" - meaning total value including all ancillaries (and presumably, a connecting leg to SYD) - and if Qatar in CBR is conscious of that, it could probably do okay from Commonwealth travel.

mariner
aeternum nauta
 
DFW789ER
Posts: 399
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2016 11:20 pm

Re: Qatar Airways: DOH-CBR

Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:12 pm

VapourTrails wrote:
DFW789ER wrote:
I doubt it'll be nonstop, and not necessarily on a 772. Depending on the stop, a 789 could work.


A 777-300ER did a non-stop DOH-CBR flight in December 2014, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yj3Pf-wu5ME,
Qatar Airways Boeing 777-300ER - Golden Hour Landing at Canberra Airport, SydneyAirportSpotter, Dec 29, 2014.


I know QR has planes that can make the flight nonstop, my question is can they put butts in enough seats to make a nonstop work, even if not daily.
 
User avatar
mariner
Posts: 19473
Joined: Fri Nov 23, 2001 7:29 am

Re: Qatar Airways: DOH-CBR

Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:26 pm

DFW789ER wrote:
I know QR has planes that can make the flight nonstop, my question is can they put butts in enough seats to make a nonstop work, even if not daily.


It's the same question that everyone has.

Its the same question that was asked about Singapore's new Canberra service, and - at least anecdotally - that seems to be doing okay. Certainly, it has been well-received locally.

The Canberra Times puts a good case for CBR to be a SYD alternate:

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/comment ... szk9c.html

"An opportunity too good to miss for Qatar Airways

While Qatar's major focus in Australia is likely to remain the established gateway destinations of Sydney, Brisbane and Melbourne, Canberra offers it significant potential. It's relatively close to Sydney without any of the drawbacks that characterise Mascot airport such as congestion, limited landing slots at peak times, and high rents and charges. It's also curfew-free. Even Canberra's hotel accommodation – essential tourist infrastructure that's lagged well behind Sydney in terms of quality and quantity – has improved markedly in recent years. And there's more coming on line.


Since no one - here - has the answer to your question, there's only one way to find out.

mariner
aeternum nauta
 
DFW789ER
Posts: 399
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2016 11:20 pm

Re: Qatar Airways: DOH-CBR

Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:49 pm

mariner wrote:
DFW789ER wrote:
I know QR has planes that can make the flight nonstop, my question is can they put butts in enough seats to make a nonstop work, even if not daily.


It's the same question that everyone has.

Its the same question that was asked about Singapore's new Canberra service, and - at least anecdotally - that seems to be doing okay. Certainly, it has been well-received locally.

The Canberra Times puts a good case for CBR to be a SYD alternate:

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/comment ... szk9c.html

"An opportunity too good to miss for Qatar Airways

While Qatar's major focus in Australia is likely to remain the established gateway destinations of Sydney, Brisbane and Melbourne, Canberra offers it significant potential. It's relatively close to Sydney without any of the drawbacks that characterise Mascot airport such as congestion, limited landing slots at peak times, and high rents and charges. It's also curfew-free. Even Canberra's hotel accommodation – essential tourist infrastructure that's lagged well behind Sydney in terms of quality and quantity – has improved markedly in recent years. And there's more coming on line.


Since no one - here - has the answer to your question, there's only one way to find out.

mariner


Are there any figures for the WLG-CBR portion of the SQ flight? I'd expect it would contribute to SQ's numbers. I personally would like to see the CBR service succeed.
 
DeltaB717
Posts: 1692
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:49 am

Re: Qatar Airways: DOH-CBR

Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:55 pm

Qatara340 wrote:
QR cannot increase flights to SYD, MEL, PER, without stopping at another secondary AUS city. QR has used all its bilaterals to AUS--but they do have unlimited frequencies to cities other SYD, BNE, MEL, and PER.


They also can't add BNE without dropping one of SYD, MEL or PER as the current bilateral only permits 21 return services per week. Despite all the chatter, the 'agreement' signed by Australia and Qatar a week or two ago does NOT provide any additional capacity nor any other actual changes to the bilateral, only a framework for future negotiations.
 
VapourTrails
Posts: 3771
Joined: Fri Aug 17, 2001 9:30 pm

Re: Qatar Airways: DOH-CBR

Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:15 pm

DFW789ER wrote:
I know QR has planes that can make the flight nonstop, my question is can they put butts in enough seats to make a nonstop work, even if not daily.


Thanks for your clarification here, yes. Good question.

CBR have got what they wanted, more international flights, and I for one am prepared to wait and see how QR go with this, and SQ for that matter.

It is better to try and fail, than not to have tried it at all, having made a business decision I would say with enough forethought (they've done their homework) to go ahead with the route/s in the first place.

As mentioned, the curfew-free airport, the less busy and less crowded CBR, and the freight aspects and the road link and proximity to SYD with regard to these are defnitely are plusses in that.
 
DeltaB717
Posts: 1692
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:49 am

Re: Qatar Airways: DOH-CBR

Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:29 pm

VapourTrails wrote:
the curfew-free airport, the less busy and less crowded CBR, and the freight aspects and the road link and proximity to SYD with regard to these are defnitely are plusses in that.


I think the freight element was probably one of CBR's higher priorities, as they've been working towards a freight hub for many years - the anticipated 'late evening' schedule doesn't lend itself well to inbound connections to SYD, MEL or BNE (unless QF has something up its sleeve), but does lend itself reasonably well to a convoy of trucks heading up and down the highway.
 
incitatus
Posts: 3333
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2005 1:49 am

Re: Qatar Airways: DOH-CBR

Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:51 am

Let's not overstate freight as a component of viable routes. In a few cases, it makes a difference. But a route that has 20% of its revenue underfloor is just outstanding. Freight will not make any terrible route work.
I do not consume Murdoch products including the Wall Street Journal
 
DavidByrne
Posts: 1501
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2007 4:42 pm

Re: Qatar Airways: DOH-CBR

Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:53 am

DFW789ER wrote:
Are there any figures for the WLG-CBR portion of the SQ flight? I'd expect it would contribute to SQ's numbers. I personally would like to see the CBR service succeed.


BITRE stats are only available up to August so far, so there's a couple of months' wait for the first stats.
This is not my beautiful house . . . This is not my beautiful wife
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Posts: 9573
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Qatar Airways: DOH-CBR

Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:04 am

Latest news is CBR could be announced in coming months by QR, tipped to begin in February 18

http://www.smh.com.au/act-news/canberra ... uchfc.html

In another article it has mentioned that QR's CBR service would be a tag on from a second daily SYD service. They are also planning a second daily to MEL as well

https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct= ... WOrIU8bexQ
Forum Moderator

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos