Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

atlflyer
Topic Author

United Polaris Debuts

Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:48 pm

The Points Guy has some beautiful photos of the first Polaris Lounge. Looks like a huge step forward for United.

https://thepointsguy.com/2016/11/united ... irst-look/

TWA772LR

Re: United Polaris Debuts

Thu Dec 01, 2016 3:05 pm

Great job United!
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

CBBW

Thu Dec 01, 2016 3:16 pm

I think United has done a great job with Polaris from what I've seen so far. Hopefully it lives up to its promise and delivers a really world class experience. Aesthetically the lounge and cabin look beautiful IMO.

LeCoqFrancais

Thu Dec 01, 2016 3:45 pm

I find it weird that they open the lounge but don't serve hot dishes until a day after the opening. I find it illogical, they should have opened the lounge only when everything was ready IMHO, that way all guests can have the same experience.
Sébastien C. Tourillon

SFOA380

Thu Dec 01, 2016 3:50 pm

Fortune has a big spread on Oscar Munoz in the Dec. 1 issue. Things are definitely looking rosier for United!

Polot

Thu Dec 01, 2016 3:55 pm

LeCoqFrancais wrote:
I find it weird that they open the lounge but don't serve hot dishes until a day after the opening. I find it illogical, they should have opened the lounge only when everything was ready IMHO, that way all guests can have the same experience.

It wasn't open then (at least to the general public), it opened this morning.

This looked like a soft opening/sneak peak for members of the press and to give the employees the opportunity to practice the service.

LAXintl

Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:05 pm

As always the devil is in the detail. Key will be how UA manages expectations and if they can consistently deliver for the customer.

Initially this will be not much more than a name for many travellers.
The new seats and lounge refreshes will take years to roll out, so the only real changes most will see are new onboard menus and updated bedding amenities plus amentity kits that changed on December 1st.
Last edited by LAXintl on Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

BobbyPSP

Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:05 pm

Read this morning this is a complete "hard" cutover on the soft product which they say is challenging logistically versus combining say old cocktail napkins with Polaris ones. I'm booked using miles on the SFO-ICN 744 UA flight in February. Don't mind the old seats, looking forward to the bedding

LeCoqFrancais

Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:08 pm

Polot wrote:
LeCoqFrancais wrote:

It wasn't open then (at least to the general public), it opened this morning.

This looked like a soft opening/sneak peak for members of the press and to give the employees the opportunity to practice the service.

Ah, than I am sorry. I would still think you would want to impress the media with all that you have to offer but that is my opinion.
Sébastien C. Tourillon

ldvaviation

Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:26 pm

The lounge looks like the lobby of a W hotel and not in the best way. It lacks any warmth. The color palette is sterile.

The cubicle in the lounge is better designed than the business class seat on the plane.

(The Pointsguy also reviewed the new business class seat a while back. He concluded it was inferior to the AA and DL seats.)

clrd4t8koff

Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:33 pm

It looks beautiful and congrats UA on your new flagship product.

What stood out to me was the fact that not even Global Services passengers can use the lounge unless flying on an int'l biz/first ticket on UA or *A airline. I think that it's fantastic they're fiercely protecting the Polaris brand image by keeping it so exclusive, but I have to wonder how long until some high spender GS member who oversees a huge corporate account complains they're going to pull their business because they weren't let in. Perhaps it won't happen, but if it does I hope UA holds strong on that rule and doesn't cave.

chiawei

Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:53 pm

Having just ate cold Japanese Appetizer on UA838 this monday, I still have 0 hope that UA services will be on part with foreign carriers.

Cold Yakitori, Eel with Soy Sauce jelly (suppose to be dashi)... It was especially tough to eat after arriving from DUS via Abu Dhabi on EY.

LAXintl

Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:04 pm

clrd4t8koff wrote:
What stood out to me was the fact that not even Global Services passengers can use the lounge unless flying on an int'l biz/first ticket on UA or *A airline. I think that it's fantastic they're fiercely protecting the Polaris brand image by keeping it so exclusive, but I have to wonder how long until some high spender GS member who oversees a huge corporate account complains they're going to pull their business because they weren't let in. Perhaps it won't happen, but if it does I hope UA holds strong on that rule and doesn't cave.

They are free to use the UA Club - most which are being refreshed themselves.

The few number of planned Polaris lounges are smaller in size and simply cannot accommodate as many people.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

tonystan

Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:45 pm

And not one smiling staff member in the pictures. Maybe they should work on that too!
My views are my own and do not reflect any other person or organisation.

hayzel777

Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:38 am

Lets see how long this lasts before the hype with the crew is over and the service returns to "normal" aka the crappy service they gave before Polaris launched. Was listening to a group of crew talk the other day, they were complaining how UA wants them to do so many "new things" and they don't want to do it.

VC10er

Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:57 am

From the pics in the first link, the Polaris lounge design is near flawless in beauty. Congrats to the designers and to UA for approving it. The colors, surfaces and lines are stunning. BRAVO TO UNITED GETTING BETTER!
To Most the Sky is The Limit, For me, the Sky is Home.

atlflyer
Topic Author

Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:31 am

VC10er wrote:
From the pics in the first link, the Polaris lounge design is near flawless in beauty. Congrats to the designers and to UA for approving it. The colors, surfaces and lines are stunning. BRAVO TO UNITED GETTING BETTER!

I definitely agree. The use of dark blues, grays with the touches of yellow really make it feel modern yet warm. The various finishes look impressive too and were definitely thought out. Not surprised though considering Priestmangoode designed it...one of the best.

VC10er

Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:45 am

Priestman Goode is the envy to any other agency of it's kind, and clearly United didn't paint them into the corner and make it boring, so UA gets credit too. No agency can do great work for bad clients! I can see the new UNITED brand emerging. It will take time, and UA haters will always find fault always, but I like competition, and if others were kicking UA's butt, and UA responds properly, that is good for all. I also realize that United will never be Singapore and there are reasons for that, but looks like they will close the gap just enough to make their loyal base and contract bound fliers happy enough.

trent1000

Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:55 am

ldvaviation wrote:
The Pointsguy also reviewed the new business class seat a while back. He concluded it was inferior to the AA and DL seats.

So that's his opinion. So be it. Whoopdeedo. I have an opinion, too and I've parked myself on many an airline seat in all classes on various airlines. Everyone has their own tastes, idiosyncrasies and preferences. Try out the new Polaris experience and form your own opinion.

intotheair

Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:16 am

trent1000 wrote:
ldvaviation wrote:
The Pointsguy also reviewed the new business class seat a while back. He concluded it was inferior to the AA and DL seats.

So that's his opinion. So be it. Whoopdeedo. I have an opinion, too and I've parked myself on many an airline seat in all classes on various airlines. Everyone has their own tastes, idiosyncrasies and preferences. Try out the new Polaris experience and form your own opinion.

I also don't put much stock in what he or any of the credit card peddlers think. They have different motives for how they review products.
300 319 320 321 332 333 345 346 380 717 733 734 735 73G 738 739 744 752 753 762 763 772 77W 788 789 CR2 CR7 CR9 CRK Q400 E175 DC10 MD82 MD90
AA AF AS AY AZ B6 BA BR DL F9 FI GA HA KF LH MI QX SK SN SQ UA US VY WN

rnav2dlrey

Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:31 am

the hard product is sufficient both on the ground and in the air, and the soft product (based on early reports) is a significant step above businessfirst. nobody is saying polaris is an ME3 killer, but it's on par with the vast majority of global airlines' business classes.

it will all come down to how UA's personnel can execute. otherwise great flights can be ruined by FAs who hide behind the curtain and/or have less than positive attitudes. i'm not blaming FAs per se - as oscar has said, it's not their fault they have to constantly say "i'm sorry" to unhappy pax because of catering issues and the like. the same goes for ground staff. i (1K) have seen a systemwide improvement in employee-customer relations since oscar has been in charge. hopefully that trend continues.

Travelmanager

Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:22 am

Anytime something like this rolls out is is a great step for the US aviation industry. For example, I am simply amazed at how competitive the lounge offerings here in Seattle are compared to 2 years ago. Amex Centurion and the new Delta Skyclub. With United Polaris, it is another great step in improving the travel experience. In the end, the whole industry benefits. Well done!

777222LR

Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:36 am

Question: I'm flying SFO-ICN in February. It's on the 744, so I know visually there will be no difference in seat or interior, as these birds are on their way out, but United has since changed my reservation from "Global First" to "Polaris First" - Will there be any changes in comparison to current Global First?

RL777

Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:40 am

It has its strengths, but from those photos it looks like there's still some to be desired. The pods amongst other design choices won't age well, the silver metallic look already looks dated. Opinion aside, its nice to see an American career investing in their passenger experience.

77H

Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:10 am

clrd4t8koff wrote:
It looks beautiful and congrats UA on your new flagship product.

I was thinking the same thing. I was in this lounge last February when it was the United Club. How many standard clubs will be in the terminal ?

spacecadet

Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:25 am

Travelmanager wrote:
In the end, the whole industry benefits. Well done!

Let's keep some perspective. The "whole industry" doesn't benefit from a new first class lounge. Who benefits are the people who can afford to use it, that's all.

Keep in mind I say this as an Amex Platinum cardholder; I have multiple lounge access at basically any airport I'd ever go to, and I enjoy that perk. But I don't pretend that this benefits anyone but me.

The Polaris lounge does look nice, though.
I'm tired of being a wanna-be league bowler. I wanna be a league bowler!

Bald1983

Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:46 am

It looks like United is working to upgrade its product and display more class.

redrooster3

Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:20 pm

777222LR wrote:
Question: I'm flying SFO-ICN in February. It's on the 744, so I know visually there will be no difference in seat or interior, as these birds are on their way out, but United has since changed my reservation from "Global First" to "Polaris First" - Will there be any changes in comparison to current Global First?

I am pretty sure none of the 744s will actually receive the actual Polaris product, but will still receive the Polaris offerings. For example, the new food options and Amenities kit. I'm not certain though!
Marry one of us, and you'll fly for free!

CONTACREW

Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:26 pm

redrooster3 wrote:
777222LR wrote:

I am pretty sure none of the 744s will actually receive the actual Polaris product, but will still receive the Polaris offerings. For example, the new food options and Amenities kit. I'm not certain though!

Correct 744s have the polaris soft product but don't and will not receive the hard product (seat).
Flight Attendants prepare doors for departure, cross check verify straps standby for all call

etoile

Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:41 pm

spacecadet wrote:
Travelmanager wrote:
In the end, the whole industry benefits. Well done!

Keep in mind I say this as an Amex Platinum cardholder; I have multiple lounge access at basically any airport I'd ever go to, and I enjoy that perk. But I don't pretend that this benefits anyone but me.

Have you been in the Centurion lounge in Seattle or when any Centurion lounge is packed with crowds of well-to-do people who are willing to stand 3-4 deep waiting for "free" tipple at the bar, act like they are at a cheap Vegas buffet and work their deals aloud on their mobiles without any regard to their NDAs? Or have you seen the "lounge" you have access to in Honolulu? I don't pretend that this benefits anyone except the shareholders of American Express and the bars and restaurants in the main terminal areas.

EWRCabincrew

Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:45 pm

I worked the NRT-EWR flight on day one for Polaris and was VERY excited, as was my crew and customers. There was a buzz on the aircraft about it from everyone and we are very proud to have this as our service. It is a HUGE step up and in the right direction. The feedback was excellent and very positive!

We have an amazing work force to deliver this product and look forward to providing this service to those who fly us.

As for the negative comments, you can never please 100% of the people.
You can't cure stupid

CBBW

Fri Dec 02, 2016 8:01 pm

EWRCabincrew wrote:
I worked the NRT-EWR flight on day one for Polaris and was VERY excited, as was my crew and customers. There was a buzz on the aircraft about it from everyone and we are very proud to have this as our service. It is a HUGE step up and in the right direction. The feedback was excellent and very positive!

We have an amazing work force to deliver this product and look forward to providing this service to those who fly us.

As for the negative comments, you can never please 100% of the people.

This is great to hear and I am pleased that you and your colleagues are excited to have a product you can be proud of. :)

VC10er

Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:06 pm

Thanks EWRCabincrew! I am sure I have been on one of your flights. I am off to Rio for the holidays, and in Global Polaris First on the way back on and old UA 777. I think I am as excited to fly back as I am to go! Are you using that 3 glass wine flight holder that is in the video?

9w748capt

Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:20 pm

Good on UA. Hopefully this pushes the cheapskates at AA to improve their product even further. Still think AA's 77W J seat is probably better than Polaris (at least from the pics, haven't tried UA Polaris yet), but the soft product looks seriously good - in the pics anyway.

I do wonder though if UA's award availability will remain as good. Right now UA's FFP is far better than AA's from a redemption standpoint. Will be interesting to see how that changes.

piedmont762

Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:43 pm

Read on Flyer Talk that some F/A remarked to a passenger on Polaris that they only stock the custom bedding for 60% of the cabin? Seems risky to me.

To me it's an immediate upgrade for soft product and lounges (major bar menu, like 7 pages long) but not much else. Still gotta expect the spotty crews who will forget to implement parts of the service as well. It will take them YEARS to install those new seats as only the new 773ERs will be getting them in the short term. Also I think they should keep "The Bear" around for longer than just the first week. Maybe up to the first year as it's a cute touch.

"Good on UA. Hopefully this pushes the cheapskates at AA to improve their product even further. Still think AA's 77W J seat is probably better than Polaris (at least from the pics, haven't tried UA Polaris yet), but the soft product looks seriously good - in the pics anyway."

??? Not sure about this. AA has some of the best catering on long haul and has been that way for years. They've also have handed out PJ's since circa 2012 and is doing a real Premium Economy. UA hasn't even considered that idea and AA and DL are doing it!

VC10er

Sat Dec 03, 2016 12:37 pm

I can tell you right now, with certainty, that using your Global and Regional upgrade certificates on United today is far, far more difficult than it once was. I am 1k and 3 million miler and that doesn't really help, and a friend who is Global Services out of Denver who flies to Asia and Australia often, cannot use his upgrades to Global "Polaris" First from business barely ever due to a full cabin. The waitlist rarely clears. This is not the UA of the past. Before 8 out of 10 times you were able to use your earned upgrades with ease, those days seem to be over and I bet Polaris will make it even more difficult. Using miles works best, but miles are almost money, vs free. Once upon a time your "SYSTEMWIDE" upgrades allowed up to 6 flights from economy to business on international flights a year. Nowadays they expire before you get the chance to use them. If Polaris sells more seats that before Dec 1st, I am sure UA will like that better.

United1

Sat Dec 03, 2016 2:07 pm

LuxuryLiner767 wrote:
. It will take them YEARS to install those new seats as only the new 773ERs will be getting them in the short term. Also I think they should keep "The Bear" around for longer than just the first week.

Not entirely correct....the 3 class 763 will get the hard product starting next year when they are reconfigured and the 789s that are delivered in 2017/2018 will also have Polaris. Even money says the 772s will get the seats starting in 2018....
I know the voices in my head aren't real but sometimes their ideas are just awesome!!!

9w748capt

Sat Dec 03, 2016 3:16 pm

LuxuryLiner767 wrote:

??? Not sure about this. AA has some of the best catering on long haul and has been that way for years. They've also have handed out PJ's since circa 2012 and is doing a real Premium Economy. UA hasn't even considered that idea and AA and DL are doing it!

Hahaha what on earth you smoking? AA some of the best catering? Are you out of your mind? Sure, after JL and QF told AA their product wasn't up to snuff they improved it, but hahaha seriously?

And PJs? Maybe in F, but J class PJs are only on select routes like LAX-SYD, LAX-HKG, DFW-HKG (probably left a few out). So that's new also, and also because of the pressure from JL/QF. Don't be ridiculous.

United1

Sat Dec 03, 2016 4:52 pm

9w748capt wrote:
LuxuryLiner767 wrote:
and is doing a real Premium Economy. UA hasn't even considered that idea and AA and DL are doing it!

Also worth noting that UA is looking at changing up Economy Plus a bit and is evaluating Premium Economy.

The investor presentation talked about how UA was systematically going through their products and evaluating what they can do differently. Polaris, Domestic First, Basic Economy and Economy have all been revamped....Y+/Premium Economy is up next.
I know the voices in my head aren't real but sometimes their ideas are just awesome!!!

piedmont762

Sat Dec 03, 2016 8:00 pm

United1 wrote:
LuxuryLiner767 wrote:
. It will take them YEARS to install those new seats as only the new 773ERs will be getting them in the short term. Also I think they should keep "The Bear" around for longer than just the first week.

Not entirely correct....the 3 class 763 will get the hard product starting next year when they are reconfigured and the 789s that are delivered in 2017/2018 will also have Polaris. Even money says the 772s will get the seats starting in 2018....

Then you are confirming what I basically said, it's going to take them years to install those seats (2018 is years, not months). Initially only the 77W will get them and while the 763s will get them, I don't think they published a schedule as to when they will be completed.

So for the Polaris seat to be installed on even a portion of the fleet will take them *well* into 2018. Then you figure they have to go back and re-do the 787s. Not sure if the 788 are even getting the Polaris seat product.

piedmont762

Sat Dec 03, 2016 8:03 pm

9w748capt wrote:
LuxuryLiner767 wrote:

Hahaha what on earth you smoking? AA some of the best catering? Are you out of your mind? Sure, after JL and QF told AA their product wasn't up to snuff they improved it, but hahaha seriously?

And PJs? Maybe in F, but J class PJs are only on select routes like LAX-SYD, LAX-HKG, DFW-HKG (probably left a few out). So that's new also, and also because of the pressure from JL/QF. Don't be ridiculous.

I think you're being a bit ridiculous. I should have been more specific and said AA has some of the best catering of the domestic carriers internationally. I wasn't referring to US3 or other foreign carriers that obviously blows all 3 major US airlines out of the water across the board. At the very least UA is finally using Polaris as a way to reshape their F & J menus which essentially haven't been significantly modified in almost 5 years.

CONTACREW

Sat Dec 03, 2016 8:24 pm

LuxuryLiner767 wrote:
United1 wrote:
LuxuryLiner767 wrote:

Then you are confirming what I basically said, it's going to take them years to install those seats (2018 is years, not months). Initially only the 77W will get them and while the 763s will get them, I don't think they published a schedule as to when they will be completed.

So for the Polaris seat to be installed on even a portion of the fleet will take them *well* into 2018. Then you figure they have to go back and re-do the 787s. Not sure if the 788 are even getting the Polaris seat product.

The 763s will get Polaris seats first followed by the international 772s. 764s should be getting them. 787-10s will come with them already installed. 787-8/9 won't be getting them because of contract issues with the current BF seat (unsure what it is) may change. Company is also evaluating plans how to install the Polaris seat on the 75B fleet without loosing too much real estate.
Flight Attendants prepare doors for departure, cross check verify straps standby for all call

United1

Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:10 pm

CONTACREW wrote:
Luxuryr76Line7 wrote:
United1 wrote:

The 763s will get Polaris seats first followed by the international 772s. 764s should be getting them. 787-10s will come with them already installed. 787-8/9 won't be getting them because of contract issues with the current BF seat (unsure what it is) may change. Company is also evaluating plans how to install the Polaris seat on the 75B fleet without loosing too much real estate.

I had not heard there was any issue with retrofitting the seats onto the 787s but guess we will find out next year.

LuxuryLiner767: I think you are overestimating how long it will actually take UA to roll out the product fleet wide. The Polaris hard product should be on roughly 20% of the international wide body fleet by the end of 2017 with conversions picking up the pace in 2018 and 2019.

That's a fairly fast roll out period....AA still hasn't replaced all of their angled lie flat seats and they have been at it for what three years now? Change takes time....

piedmont762

Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:53 pm

United1 wrote:
CONTACREW wrote:
Luxuryr76Line7 wrote:

I had not heard there was any issue with retrofitting the seats onto the 787s but guess we will find out next year.

LuxuryLiner767: I think you are overestimating how long it will actually take UA to roll out the product fleet wide. The Polaris hard product should be on roughly 20% of the international wide body fleet by the end of 2017 with conversions picking up the pace in 2018 and 2019.

That's a fairly fast roll out period....AA still hasn't replaced all of their angled lie flat seats and they have been at it for what three years now? Change takes time....

AA might be slow on the 772 conversions but they have a lot going on with the hardcore 787 deliveries and existing 77W with the new seats. 763s have them as well, as much as it's a blow they don't have AVOD in F and Y like DL did with their conversions.

20% by end of 2017? I think that's even quite a stretch, but that's just me. 763 conversion schedule I can easily see being delayed as that's a major overhaul (including whatever cockpit upgrades they are doing) by the end of 2017.

From what I understand, it's the 77W net new deliveries with the new seats, 763s next up, and then it's a draw between the ex-Continental 777 or 3-Class United 777 that will get the conversions next. Those 777 conversions along with the 787s would take well into 2018 I'd imagine. Then you have the existing 2-class 763s which were recently done that I would think would be at the bottom of the list for Polaris conversions.

At least the soft product is there. Like I said, from a marketing perspective it would be cool to keep the stuffed Teddy Bear around for a while longer for that "feel good / cute" take away from Polaris. They should do more with that bear, pretty good holiday gift for 1K and GS.

atcsundevil

Sun Dec 04, 2016 3:04 am

LuxuryLiner767 wrote:
20% by end of 2017? I think that's even quite a stretch, but that's just me. 763 conversion schedule I can easily see being delayed as that's a major overhaul (including whatever cockpit upgrades they are doing) by the end of 2017.

20% is less than 40 aircraft (excluding the 744). You have to take into account the 16 or so 763s that are receiving nose to tail modifications in 2017 (I think those have taken roughly six to eight weeks on two lines on the previous mod), and the 77Ws deliveries that will also factor into that percentage. That's at least 10% of the fleet right there, so another 10% would be doable on just one modification line. So yeah, 20% is definitely doable in 2017. I think they could hope to have the bulk of the fleet finished by 2019 depending on the level of resources dedicated to the conversions and the number of aircraft they plan on keeping to make the conversion worth the effort.

piedmont762

Sun Dec 04, 2016 4:09 am

atcsundevil wrote:
LuxuryLiner767 wrote:

20% is less than 40 aircraft (excluding the 744). You have to take into account the 16 or so 763s that are receiving nose to tail modifications in 2017 (I think those have taken roughly six to eight weeks on two lines on the previous mod), and the 77Ws deliveries that will also factor into that percentage. That's at least 10% of the fleet right there, so another 10% would be doable on just one modification line. So yeah, 20% is definitely doable in 2017. I think they could hope to have the bulk of the fleet finished by 2019 depending on the level of resources dedicated to the conversions and the number of aircraft they plan on keeping to make the conversion worth the effort.

Fair enough. I feel those 3-class 763 conversions would be a huge undertaking and glad they are sticking around. Bigger question is those 777 conversions and which subfleet will go first and where they will be based. Never been on a 744 but might need to catch a ride on them before they are out.

No idea about the existing 2-class 763 but because they were just done, I feel like they are last to be converted. No clue on that one. 20% on an entire network isn't very good with a seat that has had if nothing but quite mixed reviews.

atcsundevil

Sun Dec 04, 2016 5:24 am

LuxuryLiner767 wrote:
Fair enough. I feel those 3-class 763 conversions would be a huge undertaking and glad they are sticking around. Bigger question is those 777 conversions and which subfleet will go first and where they will be based. Never been on a 744 but might need to catch a ride on them before they are out.

No idea about the existing 2-class 763 but because they were just done, I feel like they are last to be converted. No clue on that one. 20% on an entire network isn't very good with a seat that has had if nothing but quite mixed reviews.

I agree on the 763s -- plenty of life left in those birds even though they've been neglected (in Y, at least) for years. I have to imagine the already two class 763s aren't exactly getting priority, but it isn't like they're running very long trips. Most of them are eight hours or less. Having flown in that J seat quite a lot, it's definitely adequate. An improved soft product would go a long way, and hopefully Polaris accomplishes that to the extent a US airline will. The 772s and 787s should get priority due to the stages they're flying (especially the Australia and Singapore flights), because that long in the PMCO J seat is excessive and uncompetitive. The seat is fine for a few hours, but 15+ hour journeys need the latest and greatest to be competitive.

I'll be sad to see F get phased out though. I know it's not economically viable, but I've loved that UA F suite since it's debut ten years ago. I've had a lucky few times to fly in it, and while it doesn't match my CX F experiences, it was always a great ride. Seeing First Class fade into obscurity around the world makes it feel like aviation is losing part of its history. It looks as though F at United will be history in just a short few years.

piedmont762

Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:59 pm

atcsundevil wrote:
LuxuryLiner767 wrote:

I agree on the 763s -- plenty of life left in those birds even though they've been neglected (in Y, at least) for years. I have to imagine the already two class 763s aren't exactly getting priority, but it isn't like they're running very long trips. Most of them are eight hours or less. Having flown in that J seat quite a lot, it's definitely adequate. An improved soft product would go a long way, and hopefully Polaris accomplishes that to the extent a US airline will. The 772s and 787s should get priority due to the stages they're flying (especially the Australia and Singapore flights), because that long in the PMCO J seat is excessive and uncompetitive. The seat is fine for a few hours, but 15+ hour journeys need the latest and greatest to be competitive.

I'll be sad to see F get phased out though. I know it's not economically viable, but I've loved that UA F suite since it's debut ten years ago. I've had a lucky few times to fly in it, and while it doesn't match my CX F experiences, it was always a great ride. Seeing First Class fade into obscurity around the world makes it feel like aviation is losing part of its history. It looks as though F at United will be history in just a short few years.

At least the Y seats on the 3-class 763s are comfortable. That's all I would need for the long haul.

Tried doing P.S. in row 4 on a 757 & those footwells are miserably small for someone who's 6'0". Can't imagine that on anything longer than 6 hours.

Sucks about dumping the F cabin. At least AA still has it on some of their planes to certain markets.

hkcanadaexpat

Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:55 pm

The first 3-class 763ER entered XMN yesterday to receive the Polaris seats (N642UA). Rumours that UA was reconsidering the life extension program of these birds can now be put to bed. As a result, EWR-GVA migrated to a 2-class route, leaving ORD-TATL routes as the only remaining 3-class 763ER routes.

More interestingly, do we have a seat map of what the 763ER with Polaris will look like? Rumours as to where they will be initially based (ORD/IAH/EWR)? And what routes they may fly?

I imagine this first frame will be in XMN for a while as it is not only going through Polaris installation but full refurbishment (and probably heavy maintenance check). A second frame should follow soon as ORD-MUC moves from 3-class 763ER to 772 on March 9th.

A

Cointrin330

Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:06 pm

hkcanadaexpat wrote:
The first 3-class 763ER entered XMN yesterday to receive the Polaris seats (N642UA). Rumours that UA was reconsidering the life extension program of these birds can now be put to bed. As a result, EWR-GVA migrated to a 2-class route, leaving ORD-TATL routes as the only remaining 3-class 763ER routes.

More interestingly, do we have a seat map of what the 763ER with Polaris will look like? Rumours as to where they will be initially based (ORD/IAH/EWR)? And what routes they may fly?

I imagine this first frame will be in XMN for a while as it is not only going through Polaris installation but full refurbishment (and probably heavy maintenance check). A second frame should follow soon as ORD-MUC moves from 3-class 763ER to 772 on March 9th.

A

Good to know. I noticed that UA 956/957 transitioned to a 2 class 767-300ER a few days ago (I travel on this route often). It was a 2-class 763 during late Spring and Early Summer 2016 and then went back to the 3-class plane, and the delays racked up again both out of EWR and GVA due to mechanical issues.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos