Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

planespotter20
Topic Author

A380 to ORD

Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:46 am

When the A380 gate(s) at ORD are complete, which airlines are going to fly there?

I think the possible ones are:

- Emirates
- British Airways
- Lufthansa

ORD officials said that they won't let an airline monopolize the a380 slots, so there can be more than one. Which ones do you think will bring the a380 to ORD, and when?

globalcabotage

Re: A380 to ORD

Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:17 am

EK brought it in for a test this past summer and it was damaged by the jetway. Not a great first impression.

Given AA is going to 4x daily 788 this summer, BA could fly one in for capacity a F product. EK is always a possibility, but someone needs to learn how to use a jetway. LH is possible, but they depart out of T1, and I'm not sure if T1 can handle the whale. QR and EY are options as their ORD ops appear to be strong, but they have a limited fleet (BA and LH would have the same issue).

TWA772LR

Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:53 am

It's not hard to drive, or teach, someone how to drive a jetbridge. I'm sure that has no effect on any decisions EK makes regarding aircraft type into ORD.
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

kordcj

Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:03 am

KE could be a possibility as they come and go during a relatively quiet time at T5.

Doubt LH will as T1 can't accommodate the whale. Where did you see there would be slot times?
The most obvious proof for intelligent life in the universe is that they haven't tried to contact us.

rufusmi

Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:14 am

I'm going to go a little crazy here, and say that maybe QR will make ORD their first US A380 station. Qatar has 4 more A380s on order, and ORD seems to be one of their best performing US destinations. AA codeshares on the route, and they provide massive feed. I took the route in April and both inbound and outbound flights were completely full. DOT data also suggests that load factors are consistently high. I don't know what Emirates LFs are for ORD, but I guess they can make the whale work anywhere.

Call me crazy, but I certainly hope QR brings the A380 to ORD.

piedmontf284000

Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:34 am

rufusmi wrote:
I'm going to go a little crazy here, and say that maybe QR will make ORD their first US A380 station. Qatar has 4 more A380s on order, and ORD seems to be one of their best performing US destinations. AA codeshares on the route, and they provide massive feed. I took the route in April and both inbound and outbound flights were completely full. DOT data also suggests that load factors are consistently high. I don't know what Emirates LFs are for ORD, but I guess they can make the whale work anywhere.

Call me crazy, but I certainly hope QR brings the A380 to ORD.

I don't think that Qatar wants to give up utilizing Terminal 3 for departures. It is a a huge part of their success. They love that their customers can connect without any hassle. If they utilize the A380, they will have to go out of Terminal 5, which is a pain for anyone connecting because they have to leave one secured area, get on a the tram and then go back thru security. The only thing I think that would make it work would be for a similar situation where passengers connecting from AA to BA utilize a bus from Terminal 3 across the tarmac to Terminal 5 and avoid all the hassle.

Kbud

Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:22 am

Qatar hasn't departed out of T3 @ ORD in over a year. Arrivals and departures use T5.

My vote is on Emirates.

dubaiamman243

Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:53 am

I think it will be Emirates. Its one of their major destinations in the U.S. Most of the EK's U.S destinations have received the A380 on a scheduled basis.
The next airline CEO :crossfingers:

Channex737

Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:58 am

It would more than likely be EK, I would want it to be BA but as said in an earlier post their A380 fleet is quite small and is already fairly highly utilized
Farewell Channel Express 733s, enjoy your retirement :wave:
FINALLY managed to spot an A220: HB-JBI at BHX :veryhappy:
Recent flights: LS MAN-NCE, NCE-MAN

StTim

Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:01 am

BA used to run a shuttle bus across to T5 so that you didn't have to go out of and into secure areas. I have used it a couple of times and it worked well.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos