Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Spacepope
Topic Author

Key Lime Metroliner down in Georgia

Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:57 pm

A Key Lime SA227AC crashed today on a flight from Panama City, FL to Albany Georgia (LYM308), sadly killing the pilot. Registration N765FA. This is their first fatal accident since a Cessna 404 went down nearly 2 years ago.
The last of the famous international playboys

tb727

Re: Key Lime Metroliner down in Georgia

Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:10 pm

Looking at the flight track and the line of thunderstorms makes the hair stand up on the back of my neck. Looks like a UPS feeder run. https://flightaware.com/live/flight/LYM ... /KECP/KABY

RIP to another Freightdog.
Too lazy to work, too scared to steal!

Polot

Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:12 pm

Last night was brutal here in the Southeast with major thunderstorms. Sadly I suspect that played a role.

airtran737

Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:21 pm

Most likely a case of get-there-itis. Looking at that cell, I am sure it was moving fast, and he tried to get out before it was too late. Unfortunately, he waited a bit too long. Sometimes waiting an hour for a front to pass is the best way to live.
Nice Trip Report!!! Great Pics, thanks for posting!!!! B747Forever

lavalampluva

Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:40 pm

Polot wrote:
Last night was brutal here in the Southeast with major thunderstorms. Sadly I suspect that played a role.

The storm looked pretty intense. I'm surprised the flight wasn't cancelled or at least delayed until the storm passed. :shock:
Remind me to send a thank you note to Mr. Boeing.

DiamondFlyer

Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:47 pm

lavalampluva wrote:
Polot wrote:

The storm looked pretty intense. I'm surprised the flight wasn't cancelled or at least delayed until the storm passed. :shock:

You obviously aren't aware with how 135 freight operations go. Often, its fly or don't have a job, unfortunately.
From my cold, dead hands

b747400erf

Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:01 pm

Are their Metros fitted with wx radar? RIP to the pilot.

Armodeen

Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:28 pm

DiamondFlyer wrote:
lavalampluva wrote:
Polot wrote:

You obviously aren't aware with how 135 freight operations go. Often, its fly or don't have a job, unfortunately.

Unfortunately we see the result of this attitude today.

reltney

Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:59 pm

Spacepope wrote:
A Key Lime SA227AC crashed today on a flight from Panama City, FL to Albany Georgia (LYM308), sadly killing the pilot. Registration N765FA. This is their first fatal accident since a Cessna 404 went down nearly 2 years ago.

Might as well say " this is the first crash they had since the last time they crashed".

I realize it was a quote from another source but it is interesting how idiotic reporters are.
Knives don't kill people. People with knives kill people.
OUTLAW KNIVES.

I am a pilot, therefore I envy no one...

tb727

Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:45 pm

Don't be late, penetrate. Unfortunately that's how it goes in these types of operations.
Too lazy to work, too scared to steal!

freakyrat

Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:44 am

tb727 wrote:
Looking at the flight track and the line of thunderstorms makes the hair stand up on the back of my neck. Looks like a UPS feeder run. https://flightaware.com/live/flight/LYM ... /KECP/KABY

RIP to another Freightdog.

Looking at that line on radar I would say it was totally dumb trying to outrun the line in front and then past through the gust front for landing. Not a wise decision to fly especially for a pilot with 15yrs experience flying for Key Lime.

CARST

Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:19 am

airtran737 wrote:
Most likely a case of get-there-itis. Looking at that cell, I am sure it was moving fast, and he tried to get out before it was too late. Unfortunately, he waited a bit too long. Sometimes waiting an hour for a front to pass is the best way to live.

Can I ask, what exactly happens to an aircraft flying through a thunderstorm? Are the forces to brutal that the aircraft literally gets ripped apart? Or why does it lead to crashes?

MSJYOP28Apilot

Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:33 am

CARST wrote:
airtran737 wrote:

Can I ask, what exactly happens to an aircraft flying through a thunderstorm? Are the forces to brutal that the aircraft literally gets ripped apart? Or why does it lead to crashes?

In a thunderstorm, there can be pretty severe updrafts and downdrafts that can create severe to extreme turbulence. These can easily cause structural damage to an aircraft as well as loss of control of the aircraft. The heavy rain in a cell can cause the engines to fail if too much water gets ingested too quickly. Hail can also damage an aircraft pretty badly.

BiggerJetsPlz

Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:38 am

CARST wrote:
airtran737 wrote:

The biggest threat is turbulence and wind shear which can quickly overcome the design limits of the wings and fuselage, tearing the plane apart. Severe icing can bring it down. Downdrafts of 3000+fpm can overcome lower power planes at lower altitudes. Hail's a biatch too.

CARST

Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:47 am

Thanks for your answers... this made me think of these events, they seemed nasty, but lot life threatening, but perhaps my perception was wrong:

oldannyboy

Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:08 am

Poor man. So sad for the fate of that fragile, human, solo flyer.. How scared he must have been...
Killed by the pressures of a totally wrong system, totally based on the wrong assumptions and false needs.
People get so easily stressed these days if their envelope of stupid meaningless bureaucratic sh*t is not in the hands of the intended recipient within the fabled 24 hour bracket. As if the world is going to end...

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos