User avatar
flyPIT
Posts: 1587
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:21 am

Re: PIT Update Discussion Thread Part 34

Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:42 pm

Runway28L wrote:
jsposaune wrote:
PIT-CUN on WN on the new schedule extension. Starts in June...looks like Saturday only to start.

Joining AA, DL, and G4. This is becoming a crowded route.


G4 for Apple Vacations and Viva Aerobus for Vacation Express, so Southwest becomes the 5th provider on this route. There will be 5 CUN-PIT arrivals on Saturday afternoon/early evening. I'm surprised WN is adding to this crowded market instead of adding OAK or increasing frequency to STL or BNA or MSY.
FLYi
 
fmi1
Posts: 26
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2016 2:29 pm

Re: PIT Update Discussion Thread Part 34

Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:09 pm

Midwestindy wrote:
flyPIT wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:

Hahaha okay...


Your typical childish response when proven wrong.


Wait what, who did you prove wrong? The fact is no other airport the size of PIT(IND, STL, CLE, e.t.c) has offered the kind of incentives that PIT offered DL, therefore it is, in fact, unprecidented in some respects, so you don't have to make it more complicated than it needs to be, and there is no reason to take offense....

I think you need to relax a bit, there is no reason a forum about aviation should get you cranky. I didn't try to belittle you, don't try to belittle me....


You seem to have some sort of a Napoleon complex with the regional cities surrounding Indianapolis. Anything positive or optimistic that gets posted on here, you can find a way to put a negative spin on it whether its this thread or CLE, etc. Maybe you should consider not posting in these other city threads all your doing is agitating people.
 
tooluther
Posts: 201
Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2006 4:21 am

Re: PIT Update Discussion Thread Part 34

Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:45 pm

Is it safe to come back to the forum?

Just got back from a quick Europe trip on Wow. I was very nervous as the loads inbound yesterday were pretty light, but I overheard the gate agent saying they had 154 seats booked back to KEF...so hopefully things stay strong form the through the winter.

Connecting in KEF is amazing. Beats an east coast stop anytime; It's like connecting in an Ikea. I have a much better sense of the value of the flight after using it personally.

Also finally got to see the (slightly) updated look of the international arrivals hall. They haven't put as much work into it as the departure level, but it is a noticeable upgrade. We were the only arriving flight, but customs itself is much smoother with the arrival of the self-check in kiosks. The walk to the train really needs some help, but it sure beats going through security!
 
User avatar
pitbosflyer
Posts: 347
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:18 pm

Re: PIT Update Discussion Thread Part 34

Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:34 pm

Looks like TGI Fridays got the boot. Can't say I'm sorry to see them go. The airport could really use some classier eating options. The food court has dramatically improved over the last few years. Guess it's time for the restaurants too.

http://www.post-gazette.com/business/mo ... 1711020149
 
User avatar
Midwestindy
Posts: 4011
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:56 am

Re: PIT Update Discussion Thread Part 34

Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:47 pm

fmi1 wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:
flyPIT wrote:

Your typical childish response when proven wrong.


Wait what, who did you prove wrong? The fact is no other airport the size of PIT(IND, STL, CLE, e.t.c) has offered the kind of incentives that PIT offered DL, therefore it is, in fact, unprecidented in some respects, so you don't have to make it more complicated than it needs to be, and there is no reason to take offense....

I think you need to relax a bit, there is no reason a forum about aviation should get you cranky. I didn't try to belittle you, don't try to belittle me....


You seem to have some sort of a Napoleon complex with the regional cities surrounding Indianapolis. Anything positive or optimistic that gets posted on here, you can find a way to put a negative spin on it whether its this thread or CLE, etc. Maybe you should consider not posting in these other city threads all your doing is agitating people.


I'm sorry if you or anyone else is agitated by my posts, and if my posts agitate you that much please feel free to use the ignore function a.net provides. This is an open forum and I am not going to stop posting because our views don't align, it would be one thing if I was blatantly trying to be rude and demeaning, however, I have not tried to do any of that. I actually have a pretty good relationship with many posters from other regional cities threads, and often post stats, updates, and rumors for other midwest airport threads.
Status for 2019/2020: AAdvantage Platinum, Delta Gold, Southwest A-List
 
AaronPGH
Posts: 454
Joined: Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:13 pm

Re: PIT Update Discussion Thread Part 34

Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:11 pm

Not mad at Fridays going either, but I hope they do better than Steel Cactus as a replacement. What's the point of swapping out for local establishments if it's garbage food?
 
USPIT10L
Posts: 1998
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:24 am

Re: PIT Update Discussion Thread Part 34

Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:44 pm

It certainly doesn't help that the tenants pay higher rates than the airlines do here. BAA is a ridiculous landlord and charges way too much for retail space. I heard when they were planning the opening in 1992, multiple fast food chains like Wendy's and Burger King were asked, along with McDonald's, to open at PIT. Wendy's and Burger King declined, saying it was too expensive.
It's a Great Day for Hockey!
 
USPIT10L
Posts: 1998
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:24 am

Re: PIT Update Discussion Thread Part 34

Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:49 pm

It's a rehash of what I said about the types of passengers they're getting. The AirMall trends upscale and that's what BAA wants in tenants, never mind the fact that passengers trend ULCC and don't spend that much.
It's a Great Day for Hockey!
 
PITflier
Posts: 87
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:03 am

Re: PIT Update Discussion Thread Part 34

Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:38 pm

pitbosflyer wrote:
Looks like TGI Fridays got the boot. Can't say I'm sorry to see them go. The airport could really use some classier eating options. The food court has dramatically improved over the last few years. Guess it's time for the restaurants too.

http://www.post-gazette.com/business/mo ... 1711020149


As I recall there were three TGI Fridays when the airport first opened.
 
PITflier
Posts: 87
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:03 am

Re: PIT Update Discussion Thread Part 34

Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:40 pm

USPIT10L wrote:
BAA is a ridiculous landlord


Actually BAA hasn't been running the AirMall for quite some time now. They sold to another company who recently sold to Fraport.
 
Cush
Posts: 470
Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2009 4:42 am

Re: PIT Update Discussion Thread Part 34

Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:23 pm

I think it's a shame to see Fridays go... I understand their desire to obtain more upscale vendors, but at least keep the one in Concourse A open!
Fly me to the moon let me play among the stars.
 
Flaps
Posts: 1555
Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2000 1:11 pm

Re: PIT Update Discussion Thread Part 34

Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:54 pm

The Friday's locations in the center core and on D had to close regardless due to the terminal "remodel". Those spaces are being taken out with the construction. That said there are "only" about 20-30 other vacant spots they could have moved to. Im disappointed to see Friday's go, not so much that I am a Friday's fan but the airport has in my opinion done a lousy job of finding replacement vendors for the ones they have kicked out. Quality has gone down, variety has gone way down and pricing keeps going up. They say they want local branding but you can't help but notice the lines getting longer and longer at the chain restaurants and shorter and shorter at their new "locally branded vendors".
 
Cush
Posts: 470
Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2009 4:42 am

Re: PIT Update Discussion Thread Part 34

Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:11 am

I agree with you Flaps. I know everyone has their own tastes and preferences, but as a business and leisure traveler, the only stores i visit in the Airmall are Rite Aid, Hudson News, McDonalds, the coffee place, and the Chinese food. I would occasionally have a drink at Fridays, but that is it. I don't really have a need or desire for the other stores.

I use Rite Aid for little things I forgot while packing. Hudson News for a book or magazine. McDonald's if i need a greasy bite. Coffee place for those early morning flights. Chinese food because, well, it's Chinese food.

I guess time will tell how the Airmall performs.

I remember about 15 years ago I approached the airport for information on leasing space in the food court seating area to place some computers for a basic internet cafe (pay as you go) setup. This was back before the time when everyone had smartphones and wifi. I had just returned from a trip to Europe and was amazed that there were internet cafes on every corner! I knew from the airports hefty leasing fees that an actual store was unfeasible, so i figured i could setup some computers where the tables were and open shop for less money.

Well, that plan backfired because the leasing costs were insane! I would be lucky to break even... And so went my business idea for the airport, even though it would have been a benefit to them as well, seeing that both business and leisure travelers would love to have email access while waiting for a flight or during a connection (this was back during the US Airways hub days still).
Fly me to the moon let me play among the stars.
 
flightsimer
Posts: 1044
Joined: Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:34 am

Re: PIT Update Discussion Thread Part 34

Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:31 am

A terminal is recieving new carpeting tonight. Came into A4 so didn't see how far down they had it laid. Looks a lot better than the old red carpeting.

Not sure if it's exactly the same as in C's international area or not.
Commercial / Airline Pilot
 
User avatar
flyPIT
Posts: 1587
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:21 am

Re: PIT Update Discussion Thread Part 34

Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:54 am

Not one peep from the ACAA about WN's new service to CUN. Nothing on their FB, twitter, website or in the media. Normally we would be hearing about this being their 18th destination from PIT, slow but steady growth, etc. They are probably a tiny bit frustrated with WN and their lack of commitment to growth at PIT. Especially after all the big talk from the CEO about growth at PIT last year. By the time CUN starts it will be about one year since 1x weekly service to MSY began and almost 2 years since 1x daily LAX began.


United Express (Skywest) added RJ service to both IAD and ORD from CKB, about 1 1/2 drive from PIT:
http://wvmetronews.com/2017/11/01/skywest-lifts-off-new-service-at-north-central-west-virginia-airport/


As if Pittsburgh wasn't already a center for cutting edge medical care, UPMC will spend $2 billion to build 3 new specialty hospitals. That's on top of $1 billion in capital investments already announced and $700 million by rival Allegheny Health Network. A huge piece of Pittsburgh's continuing economic transformation which in turn will benefit air service as well as continued visits by heads of state (and their aircraft). Pittsburgh will be the only city in the world with 6 specialty hospitals.
https://www.bizjournals.com/pittsburgh/news/2017/11/03/upmc-unveils-2b-plan-to-build-three-specialty.html
FLYi
 
Runway28L
Posts: 1740
Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:35 pm

Re: PIT Update Discussion Thread Part 34

Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:55 pm

flyPIT wrote:
Not one peep from the ACAA about WN's new service to CUN. Nothing on their FB, twitter, website or in the media. Normally we would be hearing about this being their 18th destination from PIT, slow but steady growth, etc. They are probably a tiny bit frustrated with WN and their lack of commitment to growth at PIT. Especially after all the big talk from the CEO about growth at PIT last year. By the time CUN starts it will be about one year since 1x weekly service to MSY began and almost 2 years since 1x daily LAX began.

Yet if WN started OAK, SAN, or made MSY go daily, etc it would be a big celebration by the ACAA. ;)

A 5th carrier to CUN isn't on the list of the ACAA's priorities right now and rightfully so (just take a look at our west Coast service for example).
 
Flaps
Posts: 1555
Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2000 1:11 pm

Re: PIT Update Discussion Thread Part 34

Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:26 pm

flightsimer wrote:
A terminal is recieving new carpeting tonight. Came into A4 so didn't see how far down they had it laid. Looks a lot better than the old red carpeting.

Not sure if it's exactly the same as in C's international area or not.

The carpeting going into A is the same style and pattern as in C but with much better colors. The new A carpeting looks really nice. The carpeting in C looks like the T-Rex puked on the floor. They have also started repainting the trim and columns in C. Its now a very dark blue instead of red. I think its a big improvement.
 
ctrabs0114
Posts: 885
Joined: Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:09 am

Re: PIT Update Discussion Thread Part 34

Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:45 pm

flyPIT wrote:
Runway28L wrote:
jsposaune wrote:
PIT-CUN on WN on the new schedule extension. Starts in June...looks like Saturday only to start.

Joining AA, DL, and G4. This is becoming a crowded route.


G4 for Apple Vacations and Viva Aerobus for Vacation Express, so Southwest becomes the 5th provider on this route. There will be 5 CUN-PIT arrivals on Saturday afternoon/early evening. I'm surprised WN is adding to this crowded market instead of adding OAK or increasing frequency to STL or BNA or MSY.


I'm pretty disappointed with the lack of movement on that front as well. Although, you have to wonder if WN's reduced fleet with the retirement of the B733s might be a reason that we haven't seen a PIT-OAK or other service expansions yet. While I'm sure that ACAA's patience might be wearing thin, it's hard to announce a major expansion for PIT - or any existing WN station - if there aren't enough planes to make the schedule work.

I'm not sure what the reasoning is behind WN adding PIT-CUN, especially on Saturdays (using June 23, 2018 as an example) when you have WN414 leaving PIT at 0730 sandwiched between AA796 leaving PIT at 0700 (arriving CUN at 1101) and DL373 leaving at PIT at 1030 (arriving CUN 1328).

Return flight CUN-PIT (using June 30, 2018 as example) is WN415 leaving CUN at 1100 and arriving at PIT at 1550; DL526 departs CUN at 1420, arrving PIT 1700 and AA796 leaving CUN 1100 and arriving PIT at 1527.

I'm not sure if AA or DL operate Saturdays only or if there's greater frequency, but this is a curious move and I wonder if WN will have this flight departing from C Concourse instead of their normal A Concourse location.
2019: DAL, MCI, PHX, LAS, DFW, SAT, ORD, SLC, SEA, DTW; B73G (WN x3), B738 (WN, AA, DL), A20N (NK), MD83 (AA), B788 (AA x2), CS1 (DL), 739 (DL), 712 (DL)
Next: AA: DFW-PHL (752), PHL-MIA (763), MIA-LAX (77W), LAX-DFW (789)
 
User avatar
flyPIT
Posts: 1587
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:21 am

Re: PIT Update Discussion Thread Part 34

Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:00 pm

ctrabs0114 wrote:
I'm pretty disappointed with the lack of movement on that front as well. Although, you have to wonder if WN's reduced fleet with the retirement of the B733s might be a reason that we haven't seen a PIT-OAK or other service expansions yet. While I'm sure that ACAA's patience might be wearing thin, it's hard to announce a major expansion for PIT - or any existing WN station - if there aren't enough planes to make the schedule work.

I dunno, this extension goes through next summer - I thought WN's fleet would be increasing by then. Seems like they've been adding at plenty of other places recently such as SAN, OAK, STL, CLE, etc.


ctrabs0114 wrote:
I'm not sure what the reasoning is behind WN adding PIT-CUN, especially on Saturdays (using June 23, 2018 as an example) when you have WN414 leaving PIT at 0730 sandwiched between AA796 leaving PIT at 0700 (arriving CUN at 1101) and DL373 leaving at PIT at 1030 (arriving CUN 1328).

No doubt its for fleet utilization. But again why CUN? Why not be the only scheduled carrier to one of WN's other Caribbean stations like NAS, BZE, SJU, MBJ, GCM or PUJ instead of the 5th provider to CUN? They would probably get solid support from both Apple Vacations and Vacation Express for any of those.
FLYi
 
ctrabs0114
Posts: 885
Joined: Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:09 am

Re: PIT Update Discussion Thread Part 34

Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:15 am

Runway28L wrote:
flyPIT wrote:
Not one peep from the ACAA about WN's new service to CUN. Nothing on their FB, twitter, website or in the media. Normally we would be hearing about this being their 18th destination from PIT, slow but steady growth, etc. They are probably a tiny bit frustrated with WN and their lack of commitment to growth at PIT. Especially after all the big talk from the CEO about growth at PIT last year. By the time CUN starts it will be about one year since 1x weekly service to MSY began and almost 2 years since 1x daily LAX began.

Yet if WN started OAK, SAN, or made MSY go daily, etc it would be a big celebration by the ACAA. ;)

A 5th carrier to CUN isn't on the list of the ACAA's priorities right now and rightfully so (just take a look at our west Coast service for example).


In fairness to WN, it's not easy to add more destinations at most stations with a reduced fleet following the mass retirements of the B733s. It might take a year or two before we see any significant increases at mid-sized WN stations, much less PIT. That said, if I'm WN and really committed to PIT, I'd be very wary about NK jumping in and stealing market share (even though it will be a cold day in hell before I personally fly NK, but that's another rant for another time). NK is already running online ads promoting their service to LAX, DFW and LAS.

Now, if you want to talk about missed opportunities by any carrier, much less WN, of the 25 most popular O&D domestic destinations out of PIT in 2013, only two lack non-stop service from PIT: SAN and SEA. You can bet that a PIT-SEA nonstop will be a major priority for ACAA with the Amazon HQ2 bid pending; PIT-SAN might be a lesser concern at this point, but I'm sure you can see what I'm talking about.
2019: DAL, MCI, PHX, LAS, DFW, SAT, ORD, SLC, SEA, DTW; B73G (WN x3), B738 (WN, AA, DL), A20N (NK), MD83 (AA), B788 (AA x2), CS1 (DL), 739 (DL), 712 (DL)
Next: AA: DFW-PHL (752), PHL-MIA (763), MIA-LAX (77W), LAX-DFW (789)
 
Runway28L
Posts: 1740
Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:35 pm

Re: PIT Update Discussion Thread Part 34

Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:33 am

Concourse C is gonna be so packed on Saturdays now for the early part of the summer season. 3 CUN arrivals from AA, DL, G4 and WN. Plus DL from CDG and WW from KEF.

I wonder if some day C is converted into an all-FIS concourse.
 
User avatar
flyPIT
Posts: 1587
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:21 am

Re: PIT Update Discussion Thread Part 34

Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:53 am

Runway28L wrote:
Concourse C is gonna be so packed on Saturdays now for the early part of the summer season. 3 CUN arrivals from AA, DL, G4 and WN. Plus DL from CDG and WW from KEF.

I wonder if some day C is converted into an all-FIS concourse.


Well that's actually 5 CUN arrivals, the four you mentioned plus VivaAerobus on behalf of Vacation Express.

Yes, looking at the new plans C looks to be all Int'l but that is only 6 gates.
FLYi
 
Runway28L
Posts: 1740
Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:35 pm

Re: PIT Update Discussion Thread Part 34

Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:10 am

flyPIT wrote:
Runway28L wrote:
Concourse C is gonna be so packed on Saturdays now for the early part of the summer season. 3 CUN arrivals from AA, DL, G4 and WN. Plus DL from CDG and WW from KEF.

I wonder if some day C is converted into an all-FIS concourse.


Well that's actually 5 CUN arrivals, the four you mentioned plus VivaAerobus on behalf of Vacation Express.

Yes, looking at the new plans C looks to be all Int'l but that is only 6 gates.

I left out Viva Aerobus since they only operate in the late winter until late spring, before the rest of the seasonal TATL flights resume.

Not sure if that's changed or if I'm incorrect.
 
Jshank83
Posts: 2773
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:23 pm

Re: PIT Update Discussion Thread Part 34

Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:15 am

flyPIT wrote:
ctrabs0114 wrote:
I'm pretty disappointed with the lack of movement on that front as well. Although, you have to wonder if WN's reduced fleet with the retirement of the B733s might be a reason that we haven't seen a PIT-OAK or other service expansions yet. While I'm sure that ACAA's patience might be wearing thin, it's hard to announce a major expansion for PIT - or any existing WN station - if there aren't enough planes to make the schedule work.

I dunno, this extension goes through next summer - I thought WN's fleet would be increasing by then. Seems like they've been adding at plenty of other places recently such as SAN, OAK, STL, CLE, etc.


WN has pretty much only been adding in California and to CUN lately, with a few warm weather spots thrown in. Most routes that non CA stations have picked up have been to CA/CUN. There haven't been many adds lately that doesn't involve those. STL's pickups have been SJC/SMF/CUN and PBI (but that is only 1x weekly for a month during spring training). CLE just started MKE and doesn't have any upcoming adds that I am aware of at the moment, so it isn't like it is growing much.
 
corkscrew
Posts: 15
Joined: Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:22 am

Re: PIT Update Discussion Thread Part 34

Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:15 am

Viva Aerobus, at least this last year, was operating Vacation Express' summer charters to CUN. I spotted them departing 7/9 and 7/23.
 
User avatar
flyPIT
Posts: 1587
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:21 am

Re: PIT Update Discussion Thread Part 34

Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:52 am

Runway28L wrote:
I left out Viva Aerobus since they only operate in the late winter until late spring, before the rest of the seasonal TATL flights resume.

Vacation Express operates PIT-CUN in to August.


Jshank83 wrote:
WN has pretty much only been adding in California and to CUN lately, with a few warm weather spots thrown in. Most routes that non CA stations have picked up have been to CA/CUN.

And OAK/SAN-PIT would not be adding in California?
FLYi
 
Jshank83
Posts: 2773
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:23 pm

Re: PIT Update Discussion Thread Part 34

Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:34 pm

flyPIT wrote:

Jshank83 wrote:
WN has pretty much only been adding in California and to CUN lately, with a few warm weather spots thrown in. Most routes that non CA stations have picked up have been to CA/CUN.

And OAK/SAN-PIT would not be adding in California?


It would be but obviously WN doesn't think any new Cali routes work from PIT at the moment and they aren't really adding anywhere else except CUN which they added to PIT. They seem to be adding those routes from bigger stations or stations that are closer in distance than PIT/Cali. There are a lot of stations who haven't added much/if anything over the plane shortage time period so I don't think it has anything to do with PIT. BNA is a big station for them and they haven't added anything except a once weekly CUN either. CLE has only added MKE, CMH has only added the CUN route and Houston(1x weekly seasonal). My point was more that no one except Cali, CUN and some Florida stations really are expanding all that much. SEA which is talked about a lot from PIT has no adds coming on WN and even is getting AUS dropped from it. So it isn't like it isn't being expanded either. SAN only has a couple adds El Paso (fairly close), TPA (another bigger WN station and in Florida), and an international add. I would think OAK has to be on the short list as an add when they can free up more planes.
 
ctrabs0114
Posts: 885
Joined: Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:09 am

Re: PIT Update Discussion Thread Part 34

Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:22 am

Jshank83 wrote:
flyPIT wrote:

Jshank83 wrote:
WN has pretty much only been adding in California and to CUN lately, with a few warm weather spots thrown in. Most routes that non CA stations have picked up have been to CA/CUN.

And OAK/SAN-PIT would not be adding in California?


It would be but obviously WN doesn't think any new Cali routes work from PIT at the moment and they aren't really adding anywhere else except CUN which they added to PIT. They seem to be adding those routes from bigger stations or stations that are closer in distance than PIT/Cali. There are a lot of stations who haven't added much/if anything over the plane shortage time period so I don't think it has anything to do with PIT. BNA is a big station for them and they haven't added anything except a once weekly CUN either. CLE has only added MKE, CMH has only added the CUN route and Houston(1x weekly seasonal). My point was more that no one except Cali, CUN and some Florida stations really are expanding all that much. SEA which is talked about a lot from PIT has no adds coming on WN and even is getting AUS dropped from it. So it isn't like it isn't being expanded either. SAN only has a couple adds El Paso (fairly close), TPA (another bigger WN station and in Florida), and an international add. I would think OAK has to be on the short list as an add when they can free up more planes.


For WN, if they were to choose a Bay Area station to fly into from PIT, OAK seems like the logical choice since they have a crew base there (though, oddly enough, flights seem to be cheaper into and out of SFO on WN from other destinations).
2019: DAL, MCI, PHX, LAS, DFW, SAT, ORD, SLC, SEA, DTW; B73G (WN x3), B738 (WN, AA, DL), A20N (NK), MD83 (AA), B788 (AA x2), CS1 (DL), 739 (DL), 712 (DL)
Next: AA: DFW-PHL (752), PHL-MIA (763), MIA-LAX (77W), LAX-DFW (789)
 
CaptainMidnight
Posts: 48
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:57 pm

Re: PIT Update Discussion Thread Part 34

Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:01 pm

I see WN has recently added weekly flights to CUN to/from Columbus and St. Louis as well, so maybe its part of some overall strategy. So the flights to/from PIT start next June? I thought Cancun was more of a spring break destination than other times of the year (besides summer obviously)? Id personally never go there as I like the Caribbean more, but I know lots of people do. As a poster above brought up, I'd rather them add service to other Caribbean destinations.

I guess a once a week flight is enough to generate some revenue and not too frequent to be a money loser. Maybe their strategy is to compete on price and snag the loyal WN folks.
 
User avatar
Midwestindy
Posts: 4011
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:56 am

Re: PIT Update Discussion Thread Part 34

Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:08 am

http://www.post-gazette.com/business/de ... 1711070038

"Spirit Airlines CEO promises to be patient in Pittsburgh"

"“I would say we’re feeling pretty good about where we are,” he said during an interview at the Fairmont Hotel Downtown on Monday. “I think we’re on track. I’m here to make sure the momentum is maintained and actually, hopefully, we can accelerate it.”

"So far, Spirit’s planes to Los Angeles and its other destinations, including Dallas/Fort Worth, Myrtle Beach, Fort Lauderdale, Orlando and Las Vegas, have been filled to the “70s and 80s” percent range."

"With Amazon’s proposed second headquarters all the buzz these days, Mr. Fornaro was asked whether Pittsburgh would get a coveted nonstop to Seattle should it win the big economic development prize, with its promise of up to 50,000 jobs and $5 billion in investment.

“I actually think in that case there’s probably a good chance,” he said."

"Even with the loss of the Houston flight, Mr. Fornaro was still looking ahead in terms of possible new destinations. He hinted, “If you look at where we’re big, those are going to be the first places that we look at.”

That could mean Minneapolis or more destinations in Florida. The airport has been lobbying for the San Francisco bay area and Seattle. Mr. Fornaro also said Spirit may consider flights to the Caribbean or Latin or Central America, as the airline looks to add service systemwide to those areas."
Status for 2019/2020: AAdvantage Platinum, Delta Gold, Southwest A-List
 
AaronPGH
Posts: 454
Joined: Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:13 pm

Re: PIT Update Discussion Thread Part 34

Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:37 am

I would rather UA get their SFO flight to year round versus Spirit coming in to muck that one up.
 
Runway28L
Posts: 1740
Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:35 pm

Re: PIT Update Discussion Thread Part 34

Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:05 am

If PIT isn't able to support a single legacy to any West Coast destination on a regular basis in the post-hub era, but it's easily able to support an LCC and ULCC at the same time and on the same route, it speaks volumes on the type of traffic that's really traveling between Pittsburgh and the West Coast: mostly VFR or leisure travelers looking for a place to visit, both of which are hunting for the absolute rock-bottom fare. All of the business pax is taken care of by AA/DL/UA and are shuttling through PHX/CLT/PHL/DFW/ATL/ORD/DEN/IAH and are more worried about FF points and less about price. It's an indicator of how demand to PHX, DEN, LAS, DFW, IAH, DAL, HOU, is strong with multiple flights, but once west of that, demand drops significantly.

I really want AS or DL to be the carrier to operate a possible SEA nonstop, but given the type of demand to the West Coast that seems apparent, how the ACAA has recently been only going after LCCs/ULCCs for domestic travel recently, and how legacies have failed on PIT-West Coast, I would not be surprised one bit to see SEA served by NK.
 
User avatar
flyPIT
Posts: 1587
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:21 am

Re: PIT Update Discussion Thread Part 34

Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:21 am

FLYi
 
msycajun
Posts: 1045
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2016 4:13 am

Re: PIT Update Discussion Thread Part 34

Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:59 am

Midwestindy wrote:
"Even with the loss of the Houston flight, Mr. Fornaro was still looking ahead in terms of possible new destinations. He hinted, “If you look at where we’re big, those are going to be the first places that we look at.”


I wouldn't be surprised to see MSY-PIT on the radar for NK. The PDEW grew by over 26% from 2016 to 2017 to 120, plenty for a daily flight, and that's only with 2-3 weekly G4 flights. It would also boost connecting options to Florida, Texas and the western US, as MSY is a fast growing NK station.
 
ctrabs0114
Posts: 885
Joined: Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:09 am

Re: PIT Update Discussion Thread Part 34

Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:44 am

AaronPGH wrote:
I would rather UA get their SFO flight to year round versus Spirit coming in to muck that one up.


Honestly, you couldn't pay me enough to fly NK under any circumstances (sorry, too loyal to WN, especially since WN flies to most of the same destinations as NK).
2019: DAL, MCI, PHX, LAS, DFW, SAT, ORD, SLC, SEA, DTW; B73G (WN x3), B738 (WN, AA, DL), A20N (NK), MD83 (AA), B788 (AA x2), CS1 (DL), 739 (DL), 712 (DL)
Next: AA: DFW-PHL (752), PHL-MIA (763), MIA-LAX (77W), LAX-DFW (789)
 
User avatar
Lemieux
Posts: 147
Joined: Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:55 pm

Re: PIT Update Discussion Thread Part 34

Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:11 am

ctrabs0114 wrote:
AaronPGH wrote:
I would rather UA get their SFO flight to year round versus Spirit coming in to muck that one up.


Honestly, you couldn't pay me enough to fly NK under any circumstances (sorry, too loyal to WN, especially since WN flies to most of the same destinations as NK).

I'm generally an AA loyalist, but I've taken NK a few times between DFW-PIT when the loads get full, it honestly wasn't that bad of an experience
Full time internet idiot. A319/20/20NEO/21/332/333, Boeing 733/734/737/738/752/753/762/763/772/773/788/789, CR2/7/9, de Havilland DHC-8, Embraer 140/145/175/190, MD82/88.
 
Cush
Posts: 470
Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2009 4:42 am

Re: PIT Update Discussion Thread Part 34

Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:35 pm

ctrabs0114 wrote:

Honestly, you couldn't pay me enough to fly NK under any circumstances (sorry, too loyal to WN, especially since WN flies to most of the same destinations as NK).


Spirit has a decent operation. Young new aircraft. Cheap prices. Happy young crew that enjoys flying.... I chose Spirit without question.
Fly me to the moon let me play among the stars.
 
User avatar
flymco753
Posts: 3252
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:09 am

Re: PIT Update Discussion Thread Part 34

Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:44 pm

Cush wrote:
ctrabs0114 wrote:

Honestly, you couldn't pay me enough to fly NK under any circumstances (sorry, too loyal to WN, especially since WN flies to most of the same destinations as NK).


Spirit has a decent operation. Young new aircraft. Cheap prices. Happy young crew that enjoys flying.... I chose Spirit without question.
My last flight on NK a few weeks ago to DTW, the flight crew was very energetic and customer service agents in both Orlando and Detroit seemed very sensible, of course you get a few bad eggs but overall Spirit is improving in the likes of old AirTran.
...the carriage of liquids, gels, and aerosols are prohibited through the screening checkpoint except for travel size toiletries of 3 ounces or less...
 
User avatar
flyPIT
Posts: 1587
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:21 am

Re: PIT Update Discussion Thread Part 34

Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:34 pm

acentauri wrote:
flyPIT wrote:
Hainan's parent company owns the tour group that is supposed to be involved with it so it makes sense that the airline will be Hainan or one of the other HNA affiliated airlines.

Speaking of China, these guys have been visiting PIT. Based in PEK, I'm curious what business dealings are going on here.
Image

Solar Cars possibly (Carnegie Mellon)


Probably either:
Aquion Energy being acquired by a Chinese firm and moving to China. Very unfortunate; I had high hopes for this company and it would have been a nice addition to Pittsburgh's energy portfolio.
http://triblive.com/local/westmoreland/12748752-74/aquion-energy-to-move-to-china-close-westmoreland-site

or

In a much brighter development:
"China Energy Investment Signs MOU for $83.7 Billion in West Virginia"
https://www.nytimes.com/reuters/2017/11/09/business/09reuters-trump-asia-energy-west-virginia.html

$84 Billion compared to the $5 billion investment the much talked about HQ2 promises, so this is a HUGE deal for WV. One article stated it is bigger than the state's entire existing GDP. Even though this is about WV, PIT is the nearest major airport to the state's shale gas industry and WVU in Morgantown which has partnerships with this company.
FLYi
 
User avatar
Lemieux
Posts: 147
Joined: Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:55 pm

Re: PIT Update Discussion Thread Part 34

Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:25 pm

Am I the only one that's surprised CUN hasn't taken that much of a dip with all of the recent news surrounding violence in the area? Believe me I'm ecstatic that PIT-CUN has another airline on it, but I'm surprised.
Full time internet idiot. A319/20/20NEO/21/332/333, Boeing 733/734/737/738/752/753/762/763/772/773/788/789, CR2/7/9, de Havilland DHC-8, Embraer 140/145/175/190, MD82/88.
 
Flaps
Posts: 1555
Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2000 1:11 pm

Re: PIT Update Discussion Thread Part 34

Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:00 pm

Lemieux wrote:
Am I the only one that's surprised CUN hasn't taken that much of a dip with all of the recent news surrounding violence in the area? Believe me I'm ecstatic that PIT-CUN has another airline on it, but I'm surprised.

It has taken a dip. I would not be at all surprised to see one or more of these drop out before Spring.
 
Cush
Posts: 470
Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2009 4:42 am

Re: PIT Update Discussion Thread Part 34

Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:20 am

Lemieux wrote:
Am I the only one that's surprised CUN hasn't taken that much of a dip with all of the recent news surrounding violence in the area? Believe me I'm ecstatic that PIT-CUN has another airline on it, but I'm surprised.


What's going on in CUN? I am going there next month. Anything to share?
Fly me to the moon let me play among the stars.
 
Jshank83
Posts: 2773
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:23 pm

Re: PIT Update Discussion Thread Part 34

Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:47 am

Cush wrote:
Lemieux wrote:
Am I the only one that's surprised CUN hasn't taken that much of a dip with all of the recent news surrounding violence in the area? Believe me I'm ecstatic that PIT-CUN has another airline on it, but I'm surprised.


What's going on in CUN? I am going there next month. Anything to share?


I just got to CUN today. I didn't have any issues. But I think there has been more vilolence lately near tourist areas and they had the whole tainted alcohol thing. I got to use the new terminal they just opened. It is nice.
 
User avatar
Lemieux
Posts: 147
Joined: Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:55 pm

Re: PIT Update Discussion Thread Part 34

Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:36 pm

Jshank83 wrote:
Cush wrote:
Lemieux wrote:
Am I the only one that's surprised CUN hasn't taken that much of a dip with all of the recent news surrounding violence in the area? Believe me I'm ecstatic that PIT-CUN has another airline on it, but I'm surprised.


What's going on in CUN? I am going there next month. Anything to share?


I just got to CUN today. I didn't have any issues. But I think there has been more vilolence lately near tourist areas and they had the whole tainted alcohol thing. I got to use the new terminal they just opened. It is nice.

Just increased drug related violence and extortion issues, tourists are still fine, but just be cautious
Full time internet idiot. A319/20/20NEO/21/332/333, Boeing 733/734/737/738/752/753/762/763/772/773/788/789, CR2/7/9, de Havilland DHC-8, Embraer 140/145/175/190, MD82/88.
 
AaronPGH
Posts: 454
Joined: Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:13 pm

Re: PIT Update Discussion Thread Part 34

Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:37 pm

1:30pm air service press conference: https://www.facebook.com/PITairport/pos ... 8210448933
 
User avatar
flyPIT
Posts: 1587
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:21 am

Re: PIT Update Discussion Thread Part 34

Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:09 pm

AaronPGH wrote:
1:30pm air service press conference: https://www.facebook.com/PITairport/pos ... 8210448933


It’s a west coast destination that “will help shape the region’s future”. The still pic looks like something from the HQ2 video.
http://www.wtae.com/article/airport-off ... e/13732285

So maybe SEA is finally getting their PIT flight :-)
FLYi
 
AaronPGH
Posts: 454
Joined: Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:13 pm

Re: PIT Update Discussion Thread Part 34

Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:20 pm

Apparently it's already bookable. Someone started a new thread about the announcement.
 
User avatar
pitbosflyer
Posts: 347
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:18 pm

Re: PIT Update Discussion Thread Part 34

Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:28 pm

Yep bookable already on Alaska's website.

PIT - SEA 5:20 pm
SEA - PIT 8:25 am

Also I assume these are introductory rates. Because the prices are super cheap.
Image
 
Runway28L
Posts: 1740
Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:35 pm

Re: PIT Update Discussion Thread Part 34

Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:58 pm

I guess AS will probably end up at either the former AirTran gates at C or the old YX/AA gates at the end of D that DL sometimes uses for IRROPS or common use.
 
AaronPGH
Posts: 454
Joined: Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:13 pm

Re: PIT Update Discussion Thread Part 34

Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:08 pm

AS interlines with American right? Good move as far as FF are concerned.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos