Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

PW100
Topic Author

KLM Exel Sold?

Fri Feb 08, 2002 5:30 pm

A Dutch newspaper apparently reported this morning that KLM exel has been sold to an unknown buyer. I called a spokesman at KLM exel Public Relations, but his reply: "No comments...", meaning that he could not confirm this. However he would not deny it either...!

Does anybody knows what is going on??
Immigration officer: "What's the purpose of your visit to the USA?" Spotter: "Shooting airliners with my Canon!"

petertenthije

RE: KLM Exel Sold?

Fri Feb 08, 2002 5:53 pm

Which newspaper, any links to their website by any chance?
The first thing to remember is always treat your kite like you treat your woman.
Get inside her five times a day and take her to heaven and back!
Lord Flashheart, 1989

PW100
Topic Author

Fri Feb 08, 2002 5:55 pm

I was told: De Volkskrant, but I havn't seen it myself.
Immigration officer: "What's the purpose of your visit to the USA?" Spotter: "Shooting airliners with my Canon!"

petertenthije

Fri Feb 08, 2002 7:49 pm

In the Telegraaf there is an atricle (according to the Dutch Spotters Mailing List) that Fly Metropolis has stopped flying regular flights (had they ever started them?). Anyway, the article said Fly Metropolis is negotiation a possible collaboration with KLM Exel.

Just speculation, but maybe the person/company owning Fly Metropolis is in negotiations with KLM over the possible take-over of KLM Exel.

Would be interesting to see what KLM will do. THeir partners seem to be going away fast. Braathens, KLM Alps etc. On a more positive not, KLM did agree on a code-share with Volare. No take over though.
The first thing to remember is always treat your kite like you treat your woman.
Get inside her five times a day and take her to heaven and back!
Lord Flashheart, 1989

PW100
Topic Author

Sat Feb 09, 2002 12:28 am

What route will KLM codeshare with Volare, what will the frequencies be, and when will it take effect?

LJ

Sat Feb 09, 2002 2:33 am

Peter,

First thak you for quoting my mail (I don't mind). Second here's the link to the article (in Dutch):

http://krant.telegraaf.nl/krant/vandaag/teksten/fin.klm.grond.flymetropolis.html

Yes Peter they've started. They performed scheduled flights (AMS-MMX) for about three weeks with the former EM120 of BASE. However, they said that they would start again this Monday (due to bad sales they decided not to fly in January). However, I haven't heard anything (untill this morning)

PW100, probably Italian domestic flights ex MXP and FCO. Maybe in a later stage Volare will fly to AMS.

I don't what will happen with the KLM/Meridiane codeshare on the AMS-Florence route.

Regards
LAurens

OO-VEG

Sat Feb 09, 2002 3:46 am

According to the L1 news (regional tv station of Limburg) KLM exel has been sold indeed. Nobody wants to say a word about it but the buyer is some guy called "de Vlieger" (sorry, forgot his front name).

I saw a picture in the lateste Scramble magazine showing a Fly Metropolis emb-120 in the c/s of another airline. The comment about the photo told Fly Metropolis thought it would be more lucrative to rent their aircraft instead of flying it themselves.

jwenting

Sat Feb 09, 2002 3:53 am

No word on http://www.klm-exel.nl about it.
Either rumours or the deal is in the works but not completed. KLM does not like to loose their stranglehold on Dutch aviation so I wouldn't count on it. They'd sooner scrap Exel altogether and integrate the profitable parts into Cityhopper (something they should have done years ago IMO, but who am I).
I wish I were flying

vfw614

Sat Feb 09, 2002 4:28 am

So who was the previous owner of KLM exel if it has been sold ?

LJ

Sat Feb 09, 2002 4:33 am

Schreiner owns a bit of KLMexel

PW100
Topic Author

Sat Feb 09, 2002 6:26 am

Is this the reason why KLM cityhopper has recently taken over the Antwerp flights from KLM exel? Quite curious though.

Billy

Sat Feb 09, 2002 8:08 pm

KLM Exel will be folded up following the Metropolis take-over. The new airline will then become a KLM feeder. Part of Exel's problem was the sweetheart deal givne by Eindhoven to Ryanair for operating the STN route. This will kill the Exel STN service.

KLM is obligated to operate EIN-AMS service to keep the travel deal with Phillips.

vfw614

Mon Feb 11, 2002 1:31 am

So is my understanding correct that Fly Metropolis is rumoured to be taking over KLM exel ? And if so, who is the owner of Fly Metropolis and what qualifies a newly-established airline with one one route that was served for three weeks before it was halted to take over KLM exel with a fleet of some 10 ATRs/ERJs ? Is it a 1€ in cash and I assume all debts deal then ?

PW100
Topic Author

Mon Feb 11, 2002 1:45 am

It's all very dodgy right now. Nobody is willing to make any official comments. Apparently there is quite some financial power behind FlyMetropolis. In the current edition of P&V they state that they want to have 10 aircraft flying by the end of this year. I guess that quite nicely fits KLM exels current fleet...

I can understand that Stinga wants to get rid of the Eindhoven operation. No way in hell he can make any money out of it once Ryanair takes off from Eindhoven. You bet that these regionals are the first to go out of business.

How does a KLM-exel buy-out fits into KLM regional operation. Rumours are that KLM is gearing up for a full merger bewteen KLM cityhopper and KLM uk, 30 or so 728 Jets are on the cards for the new KLM feeder. Is Metropolis gearing up to take up all non-jet KLM flights?

Interestingly, a maintenace company in Eindhoven is gearing up for ATR (line-)maintenance. I'm really curious how this is going to end.

LJ

Mon Feb 11, 2002 4:02 am

The investment company behind Flymetropolis (IMCA-Group) will take over KLMexel (or better Air exel). One of the major investors in IMCA is Erik de Vlieger

vfw614

Mon Feb 11, 2002 4:15 am

How does a KLM-exel buy-out fits into KLM regional operation. Rumours are that KLM is gearing up for a full merger bewteen KLM cityhopper and KLM uk, 30 or so 728 Jets are on the cards for the new KLM feeder.

Wouldn't that operation be bit too small - the combined Fokker 50, Fokker 70 and Fokker 100 fleet of KLM uk and KLM cityhopper is much larger than 30 aircraft ? Or is the likely scenario that KLM will outsource all flights with aircraft smaller than 50 seats to a franchise operator like Fly Metropolis ? If so, I wonder if that would be a jet or a prop operation with the ATR42s and Fokker 50s leaving the KLM network ? (makes little sense IMHO to replace KLC/KLM uks Fokker 50s with second hand ATR42s...)

OO-VEG

Mon Feb 11, 2002 5:01 am

Billy: KLM exel flies to EIN-LHR, not EIN-STN, and I doubt if it will kill the EIN-LHR route as KLM-exel appeals a completely different public.
Besides, Eindhoven is a 1½ hour drive to Amsterdam where Easyjet flies to London and Eindhoven is also a 1½ hour drive from Brussels where Virgin Express is operating. So probably the people who used to go to BRU and AMS now go to EIN together with some KLM customers.
But I think KLM exel will be able to continue their flights as there will be Philips businessmen who want to fly with a "high-frills" airline instead of "no-frills".

PW100
Topic Author

Mon Feb 11, 2002 5:39 am

Vfw614

I was thinking along the same route. I guess in the long run KLM will get rid of their turboprops. They will probably outsource all routes that they cannot fly with their smallest jet, which could very well be the 728.

KLM uk is flying 17 F100, 9 F50 and some ATR's and 146's. KLM cityhopper has 15 (20 by years end] F70, and 13 or so F50's. So that would be a combined fleet of approx. 37 Fokker Jets, 24 Fokker Props, and some loose stuff... I don't believe I said that the 30 728 would replace the complete fleet.

However if KLM did order these 728's I guess they would be quite interested in the 928 and the possible 1128 as well. These last two would perfectly fit in the KLM uk fleet.

LJ

Mon Feb 11, 2002 6:10 am

OO-VEG you're not correct KLMexel also flies EIN-STN (XT3929/30, XT3931/2, XT3933/4) next to EIN-LHR

Billy

Mon Feb 11, 2002 6:17 am

I thought I saw XT at STN. Are they up to EM4s on the route. The biggest problem for XT is the fact that they have too many aircraft and not enough routes. If they cancel a route they have an aircraft spare (on top of their other under-utilised capacity).

LHR is good for them, but I wonder if the slots are KL's.

LJ

Mon Feb 11, 2002 6:20 am

Billy they fly the ATR42 on bthe EIN-STN route. Yes the slots at LHR are KLM slots (hence the KLM flight number unlike the EIN-STN flight)

PW100
Topic Author

Wed Feb 13, 2002 4:25 am

Billy,
STN is also served from MST by KLM exel [3x daily].

Anyway this statement is from the KLM exel website:

8 februari 2002

Naar aanleiding van vragen omtrent de aandelenverhouding bij Air Exel Netherlands BV (opererend onder de merknaam KLM exel) delen wij u het volgende mede:

Het managementteam van Air Exel Netherlands BV en NV Industriebank LIOF hebben recent het aandelenpakket van Schreiner Airways in Air Exel Netherlands BV overgenomen. Het managementteam van Air Exel en LIOF zijn daarmee op dit moment de enige aandeelhouders van de vennootschap. Over onderhandelingen met derden worden op dit moment geen mededelingen gedaan.

Noot voor de redactie
Air Exel Netherlands BV voert haar vluchten uit onder de Regional Brand KLM exel.

In English:
"The management team of Air Exel Netherlands BV (operating under the KLM brand as KLM exel) have, together with Dutch Bank LIOF, recently taken over the shares previously held by Schreiner Airways. The management team and LIOF are now the only shareholders of Air Exel. No announcements will be made regarding negotiations with third parties...(!)".

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos