TWA772LR
Topic Author

Austalia/NZ to East Coast USA?

Sun Dec 11, 2016 6:09 am

With Qantas taking a huge leap of faith with Perth-London nonstop on the 787, and QFs history of flying to the US via AKL, is it possible that QF or NZ would start AKL-JFK/EWR/MIA/CLT/IAD?

I remember the buzz on a.net when QF announced SYD-DFW, it was met with mixed feelings. And now it's reported to be their most profitable international route. Similar can be said with NZ on AKL-IAH. The 787 brings about great possibilities for these airlines especially, given the remoteness of their countries. QF has their great European connections through EK, so maybe this would be more up NZs alley? Especially with the huge aray of UK destinations UA offers from EWR?
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

aerorobnz

Re: Austalia/NZ to East Coast USA?

Sun Dec 11, 2016 6:33 am

It will come, but maybe not immediately. .Rangewise it has to be AKLto cope with a workable payload.The issue is really one of which alliance hub to connect. The route will need at least 2-3 aircraft depending on frequency, which really limits it when you're talking of an airline with a small fleet like NZ. especially when you consider the cost of the flight will be
The contenders that I can see AKL-EWR with NZ/UA, and AKL-JFK with QF/AA, with an outside option of AKL-MIA QF/AA or AKL-ATL DL, which is actually closer than SYD-DFW in distance.
Flown to 147 Airports in 62 Countries on 83 Operators and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.

LionelHutz

Sun Dec 11, 2016 6:45 am

aerorobnz wrote:
It will come, but maybe not immediately. .Rangewise it has to be AKLto cope with a workable payload.The issue is really one of which alliance hub to connect. The route will need at least 2-3 aircraft depending on frequency, which really limits it when you're talking of an airline with a small fleet like NZ. especially when you consider the cost of the flight will be
The contenders that I can see AKL-EWR with NZ/UA, and AKL-JFK with QF/AA, with an outside option of AKL-MIA QF/AA or AKL-ATL DL, which is actually closer than SYD-DFW in distance.

I think SYD-AKL-JFK for QF wouldn't be economical as they use the 744 that operates BNE-LAX to continue on and do JFK?
Otherwise it would be sitting around for the day at LAX unused waiting to do LAX-BNE?

ZK-NBT

Sun Dec 11, 2016 7:27 am

Not sure I get the last reply QF have 2 A380's parked all day at LAX from 0600ish till 2230ish, they used to have up to 4 aircraft doing that when they had AKL and 2x SYD, they would do it with the BNE aircraft aswell.

I doubt QF will touch AKL long haul again, they will wait till an aircraft can do SYD-JFK non stop. Will be interesting to see QF/AA with the JV not approved.

I agree with AKL-EWR on NZ/UA plus ORD.

LionelHutz

Sun Dec 11, 2016 8:18 am

ZK-NBT wrote:
Not sure I get the last reply QF have 2 A380's parked all day at LAX from 0600ish till 2230ish, they used to have up to 4 aircraft doing that when they had AKL and 2x SYD, they would do it with the BNE aircraft aswell.

I doubt QF will touch AKL long haul again, they will wait till an aircraft can do SYD-JFK non stop. Will be interesting to see QF/AA with the JV not approved.

Well I guess they have enough onward pax off the SYD / MEL / BNE morning arrival bank to make money off the JFK leg with the 744, rather than let it sit idle at LAX like the A388's.

You don't think QF would look at routing SYD-AKL-ORD to try and make a service to ORD viable?

ZK-NBT

Sun Dec 11, 2016 1:27 pm

LionelHutz wrote:
ZK-NBT wrote:

Well I guess they have enough onward pax off the SYD / MEL / BNE morning arrival bank to make money off the JFK leg with the 744, rather than let it sit idle at LAX like the A388's.

You don't think QF would look at routing SYD-AKL-ORD to try and make a service to ORD viable?

QF have mentioned SYD-ORD for the 789, it remains to be seen what they will do but I honestly don't see them doing any long haul from AKL again, AA might do AKL-DFW but again the JV declined so I'm not sure.

Zkpilot

Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:50 pm

aerorobnz wrote:

Yeah Aerorob has it. I think eventually DL might look to do the ATL-AKL since that is a bit of a gap for them.

NZ is definitely considering another US destination and the contenders are (in no particular order): SEA/DEN/ORD/EWR. They might even be considering more than 1.
Part of the decision will come down to price of fuel. The main factor I feel is that if NZ decides to go down the route of being an all 787 airline. If they did this then due to it's smaller size it would allow them to operate to more destinations (more point to point rather than sending the bulk to LAX and SFO). By dropping 77W off LAX and SFO that effectively is another 789 worth of capacity that could be sent to another destination. The market is also growing especially for NZ using AKL as a hub from Australia.
AKL-HNL/LAX/SFO/SEA/IAH/ORD/EWR/YVR has a pretty amazing amount of coverage (especially since they have been working closely with UA of late). As you can see in the below image ORD and EWR are quite a stretch at over 7000nm (which in light of QF PER-LHR etc isn't that big of a deal - particularly since there are alternates enroute (RAR, PPT etc)
64 types. 44 countries. 24 airlines.

910A

Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:59 pm

ZK-NBT wrote:
Not sure I get the last reply QF have 2 A380's parked all day at LAX from 0600ish till 2230ish, they used to have up to 4 aircraft doing that when they had AKL and 2x SYD, they would do it with the BNE aircraft as well.

I wouldn't say the A380's are doing nothing all day (there were three went I flew in on Saturday one in the hanger and two parked outside) LAX is QF's maintenance center for the whale.

ZK-NBT

Mon Dec 12, 2016 1:00 am

910A wrote:
ZK-NBT wrote:
Not sure I get the last reply QF have 2 A380's parked all day at LAX from 0600ish till 2230ish, they used to have up to 4 aircraft doing that when they had AKL and 2x SYD, they would do it with the BNE aircraft as well.

I wouldn't say the A380's are doing nothing all day (there were three went I flew in on Saturday one in the hanger and two parked outside) LAX is QF's maintenance center for the whale.

True they do do line maintanence there as they have more time on the ground there than anywhere else. Still not sure why there were 3 there on 1 day, I must have broken, wouldn't usually be a n extra 744 on a Saturday either the Extra MEL flights run on Monday and Wednesday.

Personally ZKpilot I could see DL give AKL-LAX ago and due to distance AKL-ATL would seem more likely than SYD-ATL but not before they tried LAX.

LAX772LR

Mon Dec 12, 2016 1:02 am

Zkpilot wrote:
I think eventually DL might look to do the ATL-AKL since that is a bit of a gap for them.

Sincerely hope you're not holding your breath for that....
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

Zkpilot

Mon Dec 12, 2016 1:55 am

LAX772LR wrote:
Zkpilot wrote:
I think eventually DL might look to do the ATL-AKL since that is a bit of a gap for them.

Sincerely hope you're not holding your breath for that....

Not holding my breath but think it is one of the more likely routes for the US since AA and UA are both here but no DL.
It's true that they could do LAX-AKL but that already has both NZ (multiple flights) and AA on the route. Would depend on what DL was trying to achieve: LAX would give them greater overall feed into the US (no back tracking from ATL and a shorter flight rather than ULH flight). On the other hand with their partner VA than could offer a quick and easy service from BNE/SYD/MEL (on VA) to AKL then on to ATL.
Personally though I think NZ is more likely to get in first with extra US destinations (ORD/EWR) making DL less likely to jump in.
64 types. 44 countries. 24 airlines.

Swadian

Mon Dec 12, 2016 2:11 am

Not really East Coast but I could see AA eventually giving DFW-AKL a shot with a 788.

LAX772LR

Mon Dec 12, 2016 4:17 am

Zkpilot wrote:
Not holding my breath but think it is one of the more likely routes for the US

If by "more likely" you meant "not a chance in hell"... then we could agree on something.

A hub with no corporate demand to that destination, in a location where the majority of the country has to backtrack, that overflies the markets that DO have a demand for it, which BTW are already being flown by immunized partners------- all on a 16hr+ ULH, where you're tanking fuel to carry fuel, when you don't even have to because you have a better-situated gateway with far higher demand.

If they wanted to shred money *that* badly, they could just toss it into a woodchipper.
If DL launches AKL any time in the remoteeeeeeely foreseeable future, it's going to be from (and only from) the West Coast.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

downdata

Mon Dec 12, 2016 4:26 am

Ok at some point we will need supersonic jets that can cover long distances in hours rather than spending 5 days in the air with our 'slowjets'

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos