Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

dcajet
Topic Author

Norwegian to operate in Argentina

Fri Dec 16, 2016 6:53 pm

Following an exploratory trip to the South American nation in October, led by its CEO Bjorn Kjos, Norwegian has taken the decision to operate domestic routes in Argentina.

The company appointed an executive to take charge of the start-up in the country. This is Ole Christian Melhus, a pilot who was Deputy Director of Norwegian Group Flight Operations for the last thirteen years. In a few days he will arrive in Argentina with an immediate objective: to attend, as a listener, the hearing that the Government called for the 27 of December to grant routes.

Plans call for ops to begin late 2017, with aprox 10 737-800 and 2 bases, one in BUE and another in COR, with a third possible one in MDZ.

http://www.lanacion.com.ar/1967516-la-l ... en-el-pais
Keep calm and wash your hands.

rufusmi

Re: Norwegian to operate in Argentina

Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:14 pm

This airline continues to amaze me, once again.

flyingturtle

Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:29 pm

Monty Python's Flying Circus...

Will they fly under the "Noruega" trademark?

David
Reading accident reports is what calms me down

olle

Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:37 pm

They have a point... The current market is split up between a few big carriers. Norvegian can probably play a nice game... them South America to Europe is in the cards, together with perhaps Argentina - Santiago de Chile?

A388

Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:40 pm

As someone else already said, Norwegian continues to amaze me too. I mean wow, I haven't seen an airline expand in foreign territories/countries the way Norwegian is doing. Outside of the EU they have that small base in the Caribbean which is doing reasonable what I understand. Good luck to Norwegian!!!

A388

SCQ83

Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:48 pm

Flying domestic in Argentina is very expensive, so they have a good point.

The article says the average flights per capita (per year) in Argentina is 0.23 compared to 1.73 in Spain (despite Spain being more compact and having the largest motorway and HSL network in Europe). So even if Spain has quite more disposable income per person, it is a ratio of 7.50.

It seems that good prices could stimulate the market a lot.

Polot

Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:00 pm

SCQ83 wrote:

All that is easier said then done when the main airline is Government owned though. Everything is fine and dandy up until the flag carrier starts to feel the heat.

VCEflyboy

Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:05 pm

Norwegian is the new EK!

Mortyman

Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:10 pm

The company plans to open two or three operating bases and begin passenger flights by November. It already has begun the relevant regulatory processes. Spokesman Alfons Claver did not say which routes the airline plans to run but expects to have bases in Buenos Aires, Cordoba and possibly Mendoza.

He said the company was in the process of sending representatives to Argentina to set up bases and routes. International flights were also a possibility.

Norwegian plans to devote between six and 10 aircraft to Argentina and expects to transport between 2 million and 3.5 million people in its first full year of operations in the country.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-argen ... SKBN14526B

SCQ83

Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:29 pm

Polot wrote:
SCQ83 wrote:

All that is easier said then done when the main airline is Government owned though. Everything is fine and dandy up until the flag carrier starts to feel the heat.

Macri would be looking to sell Aerolíneas. And FlyBondi (another low-cost) should start next year too.

It seems that the Argentinian market will become finally liberalised.

Kilopond

Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:34 pm

flyingturtle wrote:
Monty Python's Flying Circus...

Will they fly under the "Noruega" trademark?

David

It sounds totally crazy, you are right. But my guess is that there must be some kind of nostalgia involved. From the times when Scandinavian sailors had been proud Cape Horn rounders. (Today, Maersk does not employ those expansive locals).

Even in the piston era there were flights from Scandinavia to South America and one reason had been the support of the sailing business. At timetableimages.com there is a facsimile of the combined DNL/SAS 1948 schedule. (Interesting to note that night flights had been performed between French West Africa and Brazil, but not between Portugal and Switzerland so that night stops had been scheduled in Lisbon on both ways).
Note: avg.=dep., ank.=arr.

Mistral1

Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:39 pm

Hope they succeed... Argentina is no easy country for airlines.

flyingturtle

Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:11 pm

I can almost imagine a Norwegian executive lurking on this board, opening a thread like "Which country does still has expensive domestic air fares?", and then opening some bases there...

Kilopond wrote:
It sounds totally crazy, you are right. But my guess is that there must be some kind of nostalgia involved. From the times when Scandinavian sailors had been proud Cape Horn rounders. (Today, Maersk does not employ those expansive locals).

Wow, that's nostalgia. Overnight stays as a part of airline travel.

David
Reading accident reports is what calms me down

lesfalls

Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:47 pm

I find this quite a shock! I wonder if the companys name will be "Norwegian.Argentina" or "Norwegin.AR" or would it be a completely different name from its parent company.
Lufthansa: Einfach ein bisschen besser.

dcajet
Topic Author

Fri Dec 16, 2016 11:46 pm

The Norwegian name is perfectly fine. After all, they operate domestic and regional services in Spain and no one thinks that is a problem or a linguistic catastrophe. And last time I checked, Spaniards are not known for their foreign language abilities! Keeping it allows for consistency with the other Norwegian divisions in Europe and the US and with the Europe- EZE fights that apparently are part of this package.

VCEflyboy

Sat Dec 17, 2016 5:29 am

So any correlation between this decision and the recent argentine government tender seeking air service from domestic and foreign carriers?

Mortyman

Sat Dec 17, 2016 7:50 am

Why do certain people feel the need to change the name ? There is no reason for that . When is American Airlines, British Airways gonna change their name ?

OA940

Sat Dec 17, 2016 8:22 am

Will they ever stop amazing me?
A350/CSeries = bae

atcsundevil

Sat Dec 17, 2016 8:54 am

Mortyman wrote:
Why do certain people feel the need to change the name ? There is no reason for that . When is American Airlines, British Airways gonna change their name ?

Probably because there are numerous brands the world over who do exactly that. easyJet, AirAsia, and Tigerair just to name a few.

SCQ83

Sat Dec 17, 2016 9:04 am

flyingturtle wrote:
I can almost imagine a Norwegian executive lurking on this board, opening a thread like "Which country does still has expensive domestic air fares?", and then opening some bases there...

Ahah true.

In any case, I don't find it that stupid. Argentina is an extreme case, but in general LATAM (fortunately this is changing a bit with more competition and low-cost carriers in countries like Peru or Colombia) is quite uncompetitive when it comes to air travel.

Establishing Norwegian Argentina could help them to expand over other countries. I think about Uruguay (no national carrier now, so they might welcome Norwegian Uruguay), Chile (very liberal policies overall; however it is the home of LATAM), maybe Paraguay and of course Brazil which is the big prize.

[email protected]

Sat Dec 17, 2016 9:35 am

Don't forget Viva Argentina and FlyBondi are both meant to start in 2017. This is on the back of the country beginning to liberalise.
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

VSMUT

Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:55 am

Kilopond wrote:

What, Scandinavian locals/sailors? They most certainly do employ Scandinavian officers. I think you will have a hard time finding a Maersk vessel without one.

SCQ83

Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:01 am

[email protected] wrote:
Don't forget Viva Argentina and FlyBondi are both meant to start in 2017. This is on the back of the country beginning to liberalise.

There is also Andes which is a local carrier flying old MDs and planning to get B737. http://www.andesonline.com. Not strictly a modern low-cost but it adds some competition. They started AEP-COR this month.

I have wanted to visit Argentina for a while but the main thing that pushed me off were the high prices of domestic tickets. Moving a bit from Buenos Aires to Iguazú, El Calafate and Ushuaia (OK I know those are quite big distances) will be more expensive than a typical TATL ticket from Europe to EZE. Really hard to justify. It seems I will need to wait a couple of years to allow the market develop.

AR385

Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:08 am

This is going to present an interesting situation between Macri and the long haul bus unions. They have already said they are against LCC air carriers in the country. Later on, AR unions may join in the battle. Let´s hope this liberalization attempt is won by the government. Argentina needs cheaper air transport. I would have thought, though, Macri would have waited for his 2nd term before undertaking this kind of pulses vs unions. Good luck.

Byron1976

Sat Dec 17, 2016 12:28 pm

There are many anouncements of many airlines to opérate in Argentina. There's Norwegian, Fly Bondi, Ryanair and Avianca. Of all them, just Avianca seems to be the most realistic approach to argentinian market, since brand new ATR in AV Argentina are coming this month from France. It will be interesting to see how LCC will manage in a not so easy scenario: there are not alternative airports in the most important cities, and (sadly) a lot of lot of politics involved... if foreign airlines do something, they will be labeled as anti-patriotics by the fans of the Kirchner goverment, if Airlines do ather thing, they will be target of another labels... I hope this experiment opening the market do something good for passengers and of course, connectivity between cities of Argentina.

guillelds

Sat Dec 17, 2016 12:45 pm

I wish i could see intra south america flights... AV, LAN and AR are really expensive....

VSMUT

Sat Dec 17, 2016 2:40 pm

Mortyman wrote:

Because neither AA nor BA operate flights between two 3rd party countries that aren't the home-countries*, or routes that don't somehow terminate in the home country**. It sorta lies in the name. You must admit, the idea of an airline in Argentina operating under the name of a country in the complete opposite end of the world is a little bit strange. A bit like getting onto a Nepal Airlines or PNG Air plane in Oslo for a flight to Tromsø.

*Sun Air of Scandinavia and Comair do however operate BA branded flights between non-British destinations. Air Berlin also comes to mind, as they operate flights between cities other than Berlin.

**Varig and numerous others flew multi-stop flights in Europe where passengers could get on and off without going to Brazil, and so on...

:)

Mortyman

Sat Dec 17, 2016 5:13 pm

VSMUT wrote:
Kilopond wrote:

What, Scandinavian locals/sailors? They most certainly do employ Scandinavian officers. I think you will have a hard time finding a Maersk vessel without one.

I'm sure he ment non officers. There are still Norwegian officers on many Norwegian vessels, but very little other Norwegian personell. That is a long time ago ... and I'm fairly certain that that is the case throughout Scandinavia.

Cubsrule

Sat Dec 17, 2016 5:26 pm

AR385 wrote:
This is going to present an interesting situation between Macri and the long haul bus unions. They have already said they are against LCC air carriers in the country. Later on, AR unions may join in the battle. Let´s hope this liberalization attempt is won by the government. Argentina needs cheaper air transport. I would have thought, though, Macri would have waited for his 2nd term before undertaking this kind of pulses vs unions. Good luck.

I think it is to some extent more than just a union question. Argentina has a fairly strong bus riding culture; it's not like somewhere like the States where the perception is that only poor people ride the bus. Could that affect LFC success? It's hard to say.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

dcajet
Topic Author

Sat Dec 17, 2016 5:54 pm

Byron1976 wrote:
There are many anouncements of many airlines to opérate in Argentina. There's Norwegian, Fly Bondi, Ryanair and Avianca. Of all them, just Avianca seems to be the most realistic approach to argentinian market, since brand new ATR in AV Argentina are coming this month from France. It will be interesting to see how LCC will manage in a not so easy scenario: there are not alternative airports in the most important cities, and (sadly) a lot of lot of politics involved... if foreign airlines do something, they will be labeled as anti-patriotics by the fans of the Kirchner goverment, if Airlines do ather thing, they will be target of another labels... I hope this experiment opening the market do something good for passengers and of course, connectivity between cities of Argentina.

Oh the kirchnerites have been reduced to a cult that spends its days in a pilgrimage from courthouse to courthouse led by Cristina Kirchner, who spends her days dodging jail, conniving, counting her Ill gotten gains and spewing nonsense on Twitter. Politically they are the equivalent of the black pest. They have the stench of failure and thievery.

The market in Argentina is ready for some competition and the genie is out of the bottle. Let's see how fast things evolve. So far the pace has surprised most.

As to a lack of alternative airports in Argentina, that is not accurate. Buenos Aires alone has five airports, two of which are mostly idle. In fact FlyBondi will operate from El Palomar, one of those two. In other cities, in most cases the existing airports have plenty of room to grow. The challenge in Argentina is the cost of doing business there, courtesy of decades of policies designed to protect the local fat cats (businesses and union bosses) and avoiding competition.

Byron1976

Sat Dec 17, 2016 6:23 pm

dcajet wrote:
As to a lack of alternative airports in Argentina, that is not accurate. Buenos Aires alone has five airports, two of which are mostly idle. In fact FlyBondi will operate from El Palomar, one of those two. In other cities, in most cases the existing airports have plenty of room to grow. The challenge in Argentina is the cost of doing business there, courtesy of decades of policies designed to protect the local fat cats (businesses and union bosses) and avoiding competition.

Of course that in the airport net of Argentina there's a lot of room to grow, remember that only Buenos Aires got alternatives to an airline operations, the other provinces got just an airport and eventually few military bases, and few airfields that aren't suitable for comercial ops. I can see that airlines will got to face some issues with some unions, like on it's moment 4M got to face with Intercargo (the only one ground support company in all the country). Few time ago SOL tryed to grow with a small fleet of Saab 340 in a regional model, but was depredated by AR thanks to Mariano Recalde's bussines model sustained basically by injections of tons of public money... luckily he is not the CEO of AR any more. I got to agree that now it's a different time and different economic time in Argentina, and the cultural tradition of traveling by bus is strong, but busses companies abused with their fares, and I understand that they will be the primary target of the LCC fares in Argentina. AR and AU are doing fine, making adjustments to be more competitive and drawnning less money from tax payers, and sharing some strong routes with 4M without hurting between them, but it wil interesting to see how the market and people's mind develope during the starting of the LCC ops and eventually their growing.

dcajet
Topic Author

Sat Dec 17, 2016 9:28 pm

SCQ83 wrote:
[email protected] wrote:

There is also Andes which is a local carrier flying old MDs and planning to get B737. http://www.andesonline.com. Not strictly a modern low-cost but it adds some competition. They started AEP-COR this month.

I have wanted to visit Argentina for a while but the main thing that pushed me off were the high prices of domestic tickets. Moving a bit from Buenos Aires to Iguazú, El Calafate and Ushuaia (OK I know those are quite big distances) will be more expensive than a typical TATL ticket from Europe to EZE. Really hard to justify. It seems I will need to wait a couple of years to allow the market develop.

Without knowing what your budget and or expectations look like, one must remember that distances in Argentina are, oftentimes, considerable. Especially for the European traveler. A BUE-USH or a BUE-FTE segments mean almost 3-4 hour flights, so flights are priced accordingly. That said, here are some promotional prices AR/AU are running for those in connection with an international ticket to EZE and the prices are very reasonable, given the vastness of the territory. LATAM probably matches those fares, their drawback is that they do not offer inter-provincial flights like AR/AU do,. All of LATAM's flights are to/from AEP, making a hypothetical AEP-USH-FTE-AEP or AEP-IGR-SLA-AEP very expensive compared to AR/AU.

http://www.aerolineas.com.ar/en-us/chea ... _argentina

Andes has been around for over ten years and operates MD83s. True, they are not the latest model in the skies but it is far from being an obsolete aircraft. Ten B738 are planned to be on the fleet by EOY 2017. Irelandia Aviation (of Ryanair fame) has been holding talks with Andes and this change of business model for Andes (thus far they were mostly an affinity chartes outfit) to a low cost operator is rumored to be part of a deal with Irelandia. This week they have started with 2x d flights on the AEP-COR route, matching the bus fare. AEP-COR is the most heavily traveled domestic route in Argentina.

Planeflyer

Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:49 pm

Norwegian is a disruptor which is just what Argentina needs.

The place should be a 1st world country and will be if they can develop strong private property rights .Argentina can be the shining star to the rest of Latam. I'm rooting for both to succeed.

MalevTU134

Sun Dec 18, 2016 4:06 am

SCQ83 wrote:
[email protected] wrote:

I really don't get this "internal flights in Argentina are sooooo expensive" thing. As an example, LATAM is offering a Buenos Aires- El Calafate roundtrip, all-in at 2949 Argentine Pesos for end of February (still high season in El
Calafate). That's roughly 170 USD for an almost 4-hour flight, including taxes and all. Sure, maybe not entirely Ryanair-ish, but what would a legacy in Europe, North America or Asia charge you for 8 hours of flight??

flyingcat

Wed Dec 21, 2016 5:39 pm

The market is currently not large however it has really never been truely deregulated so it's true potential is unknown. LATAM was capped by political and infrastructure limitations, frequently both at the same time. I am intrigued by moves to allow airline service at El Palomar. The government should allow new entrants and focus in airport infrastructure support. It's astonishing that in all these years neither EZE or AEP has no connected rail service and yet it is located not far away. I had hopes for AR once but it is clear that that they are stuck on the bandwagon of neverending consultants and backroom government agreements.

redzeppelin

Wed Dec 21, 2016 5:46 pm

What are the legal considerations in this endeavor?
The Google translation of the linked article says that Norwegian plans to register 6 to 10 aircraft in Argentina, but I assume that also requires getting an Argentine operating certificate? what does that require? Do they need to create a subisidiary with Argentine ownership?
I can find information on the web that Argentina has no cabotage restrictions, at least for biz-jets, but does that extend to commercial carriers?

Mortyman

Mon Dec 26, 2016 3:03 am

redzeppelin wrote:
What are the legal considerations in this endeavor?
The Google translation of the linked article says that Norwegian plans to register 6 to 10 aircraft in Argentina, but I assume that also requires getting an Argentine operating certificate? what does that require? Do they need to create a subisidiary with Argentine ownership?
I can find information on the web that Argentina has no cabotage restrictions, at least for biz-jets, but does that extend to commercial carriers?

These are interesting questions. Does anyone have any thoughts / answers to this ?

MalevTU134

Mon Dec 26, 2016 3:22 am

flyingcat wrote:
The market is currently not large however it has really never been truely deregulated so it's true potential is unknown. LATAM was capped by political and infrastructure limitations, frequently both at the same time. I am intrigued by moves to allow airline service at El Palomar. The government should allow new entrants and focus in airport infrastructure support. It's astonishing that in all these years neither EZE or AEP has no connected rail service and yet it is located not far away. I had hopes for AR once but it is clear that that they are stuck on the bandwagon of neverending consultants and backroom government agreements.

El Palomar used to be open to airline passenger service, albeit by LADE, operated by the Argentine Air Force. I flew out of there in 2004 on a 707, to FTE (El Calafate). Quite interesting...flight was scheduled from AEP, checked in there, then military buses showed up to transport luggage and passengers to El Palomar (an Air Force base), where screening of passengers and hand luggage was done, all by military personnel.

Rail Link to AEP will not happen as it sits in the middle of the city (kind of). There is a newish station on the Sarmiento rail line, but it drops you on the wrong side of the runway from the terminal, so it's useless to get to the airport. EZE, on the other hand, could use rail service. Having said that, once you get to know the (lack of) quality and speed of train services around Buenos Aires, you rapidly stop clamoring for rail service, and happily take the bus or taxi. Railways are simply not a big thing in Argentina (any longer) due to decades of lack of investment, and in fact, I cannot think of a single major airport in Latin America that has a railway link to the city. Railways and trains are a big thing in Europe, and parts of Asia and North America. Not so in Latin America, where roads make up a more important part of the transportation infrastructure.

tysmith95

Mon Dec 26, 2016 6:08 am

MalevTU134 wrote:
, I cannot think of a single major airport in Latin America that has a railway link to the city. Railways and trains are a big thing in Europe, and parts of Asia and North America. Not so in Latin America, where roads make up a more important part of the transportation infrastructure.

MEX has metro service.

MalevTU134

Mon Dec 26, 2016 6:31 am

tysmith95 wrote:
MalevTU134 wrote:
, I cannot think of a single major airport in Latin America that has a railway link to the city. Railways and trains are a big thing in Europe, and parts of Asia and North America. Not so in Latin America, where roads make up a more important part of the transportation infrastructure.

MEX has metro service.
You're right, and SDU has the light railway. What I meant was railway in the form of trains, which would be what is needed for EZE, as it is around 30 kms outside the city centre.

DLPMMM

Mon Dec 26, 2016 7:56 am

And MEX is in North America....to be pendantic

Mortyman

Mon Dec 26, 2016 9:03 am

DLPMMM wrote:
And MEX is in North America....to be pendantic

I would have said Central America ...

PanHAM

Mon Dec 26, 2016 9:38 am

flyingturtle wrote:
I...

[quot

Wow, that's nostalgia. Overnight stays as a part of airline travel.

David[/quote]

you can still have that at FRA occasionally, when the fully loaded Long distance flight misses the Guillotine curfew by 1 second, you get a free overnight stay..
Was Erlauben Erdogan!!!

aviationaware

Mon Dec 26, 2016 11:08 am

They are overextending themselves. But good luck anyway.

jumbojet

Mon Dec 26, 2016 1:33 pm

OA940 wrote:
Will they ever stop amazing me?

I guess there are just some people in this world that get amazed rather easily.

I mean seriously, whats the big deal? Nothing really to be amazed at. Its not like they invented supersonic flight for budget fliers. They are VERY simply opening up shop in a few different areas of the world. Were you also amazed when UA started service from SFO-SIN?

This is essentially an airline flying from point A to point B. They buy planes which companies do all the time and they fly them from one airport to another. Its not like they are flying from this planet to another. Now THAT would be AMAZING..

westgate

Mon Dec 26, 2016 1:44 pm

Cubsrule wrote:
Argentina has a fairly strong bus riding culture; it's not like somewhere like the States where the perception is that only poor people ride the bus. Could that affect LFC success? It's hard to say.

This is very true, long distance bus travel in that country is like nowhere else I've seen on the planet, many are in 2-1 configuration with wide seats and some very significant recline as well (semi-cama), with many fully flat seat/bed services as well (cama completo), they serve meals, snacks and drinks and every bus has an attendant on board who will even organize games such as bingo for the passengers to play. Afterwards I was travelling in Venezuela and some woman came on board who I thought was the bus attendant as she started handing out things to the passengers that looked like a game, no idea what she was talking about as my Spanish wasn't very good at that stage, turned out she was just trying to sell something . . . I was very disappointed, this obviously wasn't Argentina !!!

Mortyman

Mon Dec 26, 2016 4:03 pm

aviationaware wrote:
They are overextending themselves. But good luck anyway.

How so ?

gatibosgru

Mon Dec 26, 2016 6:39 pm

I wonder how LAN will react to this
@DadCelo

MalevTU134

Mon Dec 26, 2016 7:10 pm

[list=][/list]
gatibosgru wrote:
I wonder how LAN will react to this

In the whole, LATAM's situation will improve if the Argentinian market is deregulated or at least if more operators are allowed to compete. Their big problem up to now (or at least recently) has been the unleveled playing field that was heavily tilted to favour government owned and subsidised AR. Those policies have to stop if airlines (foreign or domestic) are to invest in Argentina, and the current Government understands this. The Finance Minister, Alfonso Prat-Gay was fired today by President Macri, just days after the resignation of Isela Costantini as CEO of Aerolineas Argentinas (but for reasons totally unrelated), so it'll be interesting to see what happens next.

dcajet
Topic Author

Mon Dec 26, 2016 11:05 pm

Well, AR's CEO did not leave of her own accord. She was, in plain language, fired. Basically two things got her in that predicament,

1. The pilots' union collective bargaining agreement for 2017 (called "paritaria" in Argentina) which will see their wages raised by 42%. That is waaaaay above what any other union in the country negotiated and already set the red alarms flashing. That generosity also got the guy in charge of HR at AR fired.

2. Her opposition to the entry of new airlines to the Argentinian market. Specifically, she was opposed to Avianca's entry and the use of provincial tax payers' money to set up a hub at TUC. Her second, a guy by the name of Mario Alvarez Tronge was sacked too, Both had worked on a document that highlighted some unsavory aspects of AV's landing in Argentina, including some potential illegalities, It should be remembered that Avianca got its OAC in Argentina by buying MacAir, an air taxi operation owned by Grupo Socma, owned by Franco Macri, He is the father of Mauricio Macri, the current president of Argentina.

Additionally, tomorrow (27th) is when the government is holding its first hearing to award routes to the new entrants, The government can ill afford to have this happening while the CEO of its very own airline is talking to the unions about publicly objecting the process.

In her defense, she reduced AR's needs of treasury assistance by half, while maintaining a very positive relationship with AR's 7 unions. She believed in a gradual cleaning of the house, and she refused to lay off staff. She had been told that for FY 2017 treasury remittances would be cut by a further half, and with the new competition knocking at the door, it seems she would have needed magical powers to continue her soft approach to reigning in losses.

Rumors have her returning her to her former employer, GM, where she was CEO for Argentina, Uruguay and Paraguay,

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos