Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ahj2000
Topic Author

Could CLT-South America happen again?

Sat Dec 17, 2016 6:23 pm

The Brazil routes from CLT were some of the first on the chopping block after the merger. Could CLT get service to South AAmerica again? Even if it is just Lima/Bogotá?
I'd imagine a LATAM JV would be key for this, however any possibility otherwise?

usflyer123

Re: Could CLT-South America happen again?

Sat Dec 17, 2016 7:02 pm

I think that when the economy in Brazil is strengthened, a CLT-GRU route could work. Not sure about BOG/LIM though...

peterj324

Sat Dec 17, 2016 7:06 pm

I could definitely see LATAM adding CLT-LIM on a 767 in the near future. With both LATAM and AA being OneWorld members they could fill the plane with connections on both ends.

guillelds

Sat Dec 17, 2016 7:42 pm

I dont see service either from CLT to BOG. Most of connecting is done through JFK, MIA and probably DFW, if you are thinking to travel to the west coast, middle west states or even Asia. Instead of CLT, a fourth destination is desirable in Florida (Tampa) and it would be perfect AV to ATL

Cointrin330

Sat Dec 17, 2016 7:45 pm

I don't think you'll see CLT to Latin America services that were dropped restored, or new ones started. CLT is a profitable hub for AA and the #2 one in the network, but much of what can be done ex-CLT to Latin America can and is covered ex-MIA and even DFW.

NYCVIE

Sat Dec 17, 2016 8:12 pm

I think AA is fine connecting Latin American pax through MIA and to a lesser extent DFW. I don't think that CLT service is necessary. At the bare minimum, maybe LIM, but other than that I don't see it happening.

spinkid

Sat Dec 17, 2016 8:23 pm

LIke others have said, the connections can be made in DFW or MIA. CLT doesn't have the O & D to any one specific city in Latin America to one work otherwise.

B752OS

Sat Dec 17, 2016 9:20 pm

How big is the local CLT-GRU/GIG/EZE/SCL/LIM market? I cannot imagine it's that big.

AA has the massive hub down in MIA, why bother with CLT?

DFW789ER

Sat Dec 17, 2016 9:32 pm

It didn't work before the merger when US attempted it on it's own. With a hub in MIA that flies to practically every city of significance in Latin America and offering more domestic feed, I can't see it happening in CLT.

303dk

Sat Dec 17, 2016 9:36 pm

B752OS wrote:
AA has the massive hub down in MIA, why bother with CLT?

The domestic network is much larger from CLT. It depends on where the connecting traffic is coming from. It wouldn't be totally outside the box to start service from CLT to another OW hub.

mercure1

Sat Dec 17, 2016 9:53 pm

Remember CLT-South America service existed because US Airways did not have much else of a choice. It was the most southern of hubs.

Now the merged airline has better hubs for such traffic flow and does not need CLT as access point to South America.

Its obvious these CLT flights were the worst performing so they were cut early when retrenchment was needed.

enilria

Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:12 pm

With a MIA hub this becomes much less likely.

USAirALB

Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:18 pm

TBH, I had expected the combined AA/US to keep CLT-GRU around, but I'm not surprised to see it gone considering everything going on in Brazil.

US applied for CLT-BOG but never received approval.

I suppose LIM might work. It has a good mix of business and tourist traffic plus it's a LATAM hub.

Cubsrule

Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:24 pm

enilria wrote:
With a MIA hub this becomes much less likely.

No disagreement. They likely could force enough connections over CLT to make stuff like GRU, EZE or LIM work. I don't know how much it gains them, though, unless MIA starts to get congested.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos