Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

nicode

Re: Pacific Islands Aviation Thread

Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:12 am

planemanofnz wrote:
PieterBoth wrote:
Air Calin have the twin otter that flies the WLS - FUT route

I forgot about that - thank you for reminding us.

Does SB only have one of these planes now?

I forgot about that as well. Yes, they are still in service between WLS and FUT. (And you took the pic from AirCalin's website !).

Qantas16

Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:04 am

mariner wrote:
Samoa "tells off" Virgin Australia:

http://www.radionz.co.nz/international/ ... -air-route

"Samoa tells off Virgin over air route

The Prime Minister of Samoa, Tuila'epa Sa'ilele Malielegaoi, reprimanded Virgin Australia, saying it was selling tickets for flights from Auckland to Samoa after the decade-long Virgin Samoa joint-venture ends in two weeks time. (on the 13 Nov)"

It looks to me as if his point is valid.

mariner

All airlines sell new routes as "subject to regulatory approval" and VA had been doing this for APW flights after Virgin Samoa ended. It is my understanding that Virgin Australia should be granted access to this route, per the agreement between Australia and Samoa, and failure to do so is a breach of the agreement. If that is correct, then Virgin Australia is in the right and the Australian government should ban Polynesian Airways from flights to SYD until the issue is resolved.

PieterBoth

Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:44 pm

nicode wrote:
I forgot about that - thank you for reminding us.

planemanofnz wrote:
I forgot about that as well. Yes, they are still in service between WLS and FUT. (And you took the pic from AirCalin's website !).

No worries! I only know because I was in Wallis in 2015 and saw the Air Calin twin otter waiting to go to Futuna. It seems you can't book the WLS-FUT on their website, so I guess it can only be done in one of their offices.
Here's a photo from the tarmac at Hihifo:

mariner

Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:36 pm

Qantas16 wrote:
All airlines sell new routes as "subject to regulatory approval" and VA had been doing this for APW flights after Virgin Samoa ended. It is my understanding that Virgin Australia should be granted access to this route, per the agreement between Australia and Samoa, and failure to do so is a breach of the agreement. If that is correct, then Virgin Australia is in the right and the Australian government should ban Polynesian Airways from flights to SYD until the issue is resolved.

I think it's a very interesting case.

I think it depends on the routing. If the flights were to be a continuation of flights from Australia - SYD-AKL-APW - then, yes, I would assume that the route should be granted. That's how it works on many fifth freedom flights - the airline can buy and sell tickets to the intermediate country as long as the flight originates from the airlines home country, usually with the same flight number.

But if the flights don't originate in Australia, then I would be mildly surprised if - even under the SAM - Australia can grant what would be New Zealand rights without reference to NZ and it is required that the destination country agree to this.

If Australia can do this, then Samoa is in the wrong - and I would be mildly surprised.

mariner
aeternum nauta

VirginFlyer
Topic Author

Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:00 pm

mariner wrote:
Qantas16 wrote:

I think it depends on the routing. If the flights were to be a continuation of flights from Australia - SYD-AKL-APW - then, yes, I would assume that the route should be granted. That's how it works on many fifth freedom flights - the airline can buy and sell tickets to the intermediate country as long as the flight originates from the airlines home country, usually with the same flight number.

But if the flights don't originate in Australia, then I would be mildly surprised if - even under the SAM - Australia can grant what would be New Zealand rights without reference to NZ.

If Australia can do this, then Samoa is in the wrong - and I would be mildly surprised.

mariner

Here's the air services agreement between Australia and Samoa: http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/other/dfat ... 01/18.html

I've just had a quick glance, but it would appear from Section II of the route annex that they can't operate a stand alone AKL-APW, but they could operate a flight BNE/MEL/SYD-APW-AKL. It's not jumping out at me from my quick glance if the treaty allows an Australian airline to sell seats on the APW-AKL sector of such a routing.

Planemanofnz, before you start hitting up the Great Circle Mapper, please note this treaty was signed in 2000 and entered into force from 2001, and the presence of a number of beyond points in the route annex does not indicate that an Australian airline is imminently going to set up an Apia hub for flights to North and South America, Auckland, Nadi, Nouméa, Nuku'alofa and Port Vila. ;-)

V/F
It is not for him to pride himself who loveth his own country, but rather for him who loveth the whole world. The earth is but one country, and mankind its citizens. —Bahá'u'lláh

mariner

Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:44 pm

mariner wrote:
Qantas16 wrote:

The Samoan government has issued a clarification (some might say justification - LOL) of their decision:

https://blueswandaily.com/government-of ... a-licence/

"Government of Samoa issues statement and clarification on withdrawal of Virgin Australia licence"

I'm very conscious of copyright issues and I won't post much more than that, but the points they make are very interesting and this one is - I think - critical:

"The Samoan Government disagreed with statements by Virgin that the decision to decline the licence violates previous air service agreements given that those did not remove Samoa’s sovereign rights to consider all applications made to Samoa, and the overall impact in the country. The government added that the spirit of those agreements were to “facilitate cooperation such as past codesharing with airlines like Qantas and Polynesian Airlines; not to allow for rippling economic damage to Samoa in favour of a Multinational Airline”;"

For a very small country with very few natural resources, air rights are a national treasure, especially in the case of Samoa to NZ, and obviously they felt they are being - or have been - plundered by Virgin.

mariner
aeternum nauta

Qantas16

Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:46 am

mariner wrote:
mariner wrote:
Qantas16 wrote:

The Samoan government has issued a clarification (some might say justification - LOL) of their decision:

https://blueswandaily.com/government-of ... a-licence/

"Government of Samoa issues statement and clarification on withdrawal of Virgin Australia licence"

I'm very conscious of copyright issues and I won't post much more than that, but the points they make are very interesting and this one is - I think - critical:

"The Samoan Government disagreed with statements by Virgin that the decision to decline the licence violates previous air service agreements given that those did not remove Samoa’s sovereign rights to consider all applications made to Samoa, and the overall impact in the country. The government added that the spirit of those agreements were to “facilitate cooperation such as past codesharing with airlines like Qantas and Polynesian Airlines; not to allow for rippling economic damage to Samoa in favour of a Multinational Airline”;"

For a very small country with very few natural resources, air rights are a national treasure, especially in the case of Samoa to NZ, and obviously they felt they are being - or have been - plundered by Virgin.

mariner

Oh I could image the thousands of visitors VA would have brought to Samoa would have really damaged the economy :roll: :roll: :roll:

It's not zero sum and there would be greater benefit to Samoa from having VA, NZ and Polynesian on the route then restricting it to Polynesian and NZ. The shame is for the Samoans living in NZ who will now have to pay higher fares to get back and visit family - or won't go at all and that hurts the Samoan economy.

mariner

Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:39 am

Qantas16 wrote:
Oh I could image the thousands of visitors VA would have brought to Samoa would have really damaged the economy

Barring some successful legal manoeuvre by Virgin its done and I don't see a lot of point in being snide about it.

The Samoans want their own airline back and given that they were the majority shareholders in Virgin Samoa, I have to wonder why they didn't/don't regard it as "theirs." I can only guess that the relationship with Virgin was a lot less than optimal, at least from their perspective.

Qantas16 wrote:
It's not zero sum and there would be greater benefit to Samoa from having VA, NZ and Polynesian on the route then restricting it to Polynesian and NZ. The shame is for the Samoans living in NZ who will now have to pay higher fares to get back and visit family - or won't go at all and that hurts the Samoan economy.

The Samoans claim that the revived Polynesian, to operate as Samoa Airways, will offer the cheapest fares on the routes it flies. I'm not sure how they can achieve this, at least at the start, because I believe they're wet-leasing from Icelandic and I doubt that will be cheap. But I haven't seen the numbers so I don't know and maybe they've budgeted for a loss at the start.

They claim to have learned all the right lessons from the failure of Polynesian, and I hope that's true because the last thing they need is a rerun of what happened with that airline.

So I wish 'em luck.

mariner
aeternum nauta

USAOZ

Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:53 am

rumour out of USA, that there will be a new USA west coast to Australia east coast service timed to start in December 2018, with a stop somewhere en route. Will post more, when hear more.

LamboAston

Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:16 am

ZK-NBT wrote:
What was the second incident? This aircraft should be retired soon not because of this incident, when do FJ get their first MAX?

Two decompressions in two months. One was around AKL.
AS350, B733/4/7/8, B744/8, B762/3, B77E/L/W, B789, A319, A320, A321, A332, A346, A380, AT73/5/6, Q300, Q400, CR2/7, E190, S340, B1900C/D, E110 (E for epic)
NZ, EK, QF, SQ, UA, US, CO, FZ, FR, U2, BA, VA, VS, MH, EI, EY, LH, EN, NM, TG, GZ

USAOZ

Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:15 am

USAOZ wrote:
rumour out of USA, that there will be a new USA west coast to Australia east coast service timed to start in December 2018, with a stop somewhere en route. Will post more, when hear more.

should have said probably an A330 which means a stop somewhere in the Pacific such as HNL, APW or ?

planemanofnz

Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:40 am

Hi all,

It appears that French Blue has now confirmed its ORY - SFO - PPT flights, with the 2x weekly service operating from May 2018, with A350 equipment.

See: http://www.radionz.co.nz/international/ ... ia-flights.

IMO, this raises some interesting points for discussion, such as:

- Whether, with this new capacity from North America to French Polynesia, New Caledonia can sustain direct North American flights too

- Whether more long-haul low-cost carriers will consider the Pacific Islands - in particular, AirAsia X and Scoot (likely to Fiji, to start with)

VirginFlyer wrote:
Here's the air services agreement between Australia and Samoa: http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/other/dfat ... 01/18.html

I've just had a quick glance, but it would appear from Section II of the route annex that they can't operate a stand alone AKL-APW, but they could operate a flight BNE/MEL/SYD-APW-AKL. It's not jumping out at me from my quick glance if the treaty allows an Australian airline to sell seats on the APW-AKL sector of such a routing.

Planemanofnz, before you start hitting up the Great Circle Mapper, please note this treaty was signed in 2000 and entered into force from 2001, and the presence of a number of beyond points in the route annex does not indicate that an Australian airline is imminently going to set up an Apia hub for flights to North and South America, Auckland, Nadi, Nouméa, Nuku'alofa and Port Vila. ;-)

VirginFlyer - you are safe from my maps (for today, at least). :lol:

Interestingly, Polynesian actually used to fly services between New Zealand and Australia (e.g AKL - SYD and WLG - MEL), back in the day:

If a Samoan carrier was able to fly between New Zealand and Australia, an Australian carrier should be able to fly between New Zealand and Samoa.

This is particularly so, if aviation regulations between Australia and Samoa have not changed since 2001 (as Polynesian operated these flights since then).

USAOZ wrote:

Will this be from an Australian, North American or Pacific Island airline?

My thoughts are that this will be NAN - YVR (Fiji Airways), rather than a route to the United States.

See: http://fijisun.com.fj/2015/08/26/analys ... i-airways/.

fi622 wrote:
Air Kiribati's (IK) Dash-8-100 arrived in Tarawa (TRW) earlier. There will be a series of proving flights scheduled before it joins revenue service alongside the Twin Otter and Harbin Y-12's in their fleet.

Indeed - it will undergo 100 hours of testing, before being used to primarily connect domestic ports.

Interestingly, Air Kiribati is considering using this aircraft type to open up FUN - this would be a pretty big deal, as FUN only receives flights from Fiji Airways.

The aircraft does look a bit bland, IMO:

See: https://www.ch-aviation.com/portal/news ... aiden-q100.

PieterBoth wrote:
No worries! I only know because I was in Wallis in 2015 and saw the Air Calin twin otter waiting to go to Futuna. It seems you can't book the WLS-FUT on their website, so I guess it can only be done in one of their offices.

WLS and FUT are intriguing, with their only services being from AirCalin.

I wonder if they will receive additional services in the future - in particular, from Talofa Airways.

See: http://www.radionz.co.nz/international/ ... y-to-tonga.

Cheers,

C.

mariner

Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:41 am

planemanofnz wrote:
If a Samoan carrier was able to fly between New Zealand and Australia, an Australian carrier should be able to fly between New Zealand and Samoa

They can - conceptually, at least - as long as the flight originates in Australia, as in this post by VirginFlyer:

VirginFlyer wrote:

If the flights originate in Oz, then the AKL-APW leg would be 5th Freedom, which Australia uses all the time - SYD-DXB-LHR e.g. I'm surprised that the Virgin lawyers didn't realise this earlier - unless, of course, all the flights were scheduled to originate in Australia, in which case I doubt Samoa has a legal leg to stand.

mariner
aeternum nauta

USAOZ

Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:26 am

planemanofnz wrote:
Hi all,

It appears that French Blue has now confirmed its ORY - SFO - PPT flights, with the 2x weekly service operating from May 2018, with A350 equipment.

See: http://www.radionz.co.nz/international/ ... ia-flights.

IMO, this raises some interesting points for discussion, such as:

- Whether, with this new capacity from North America to French Polynesia, New Caledonia can sustain direct North American flights too

- Whether more long-haul low-cost carriers will consider the Pacific Islands - in particular, AirAsia X and Scoot (likely to Fiji, to start with)

VirginFlyer wrote:

VirginFlyer - you are safe from my maps (for today, at least). :lol:

Interestingly, Polynesian actually used to fly services between New Zealand and Australia (e.g AKL - SYD and WLG - MEL), back in the day:

If a Samoan carrier was able to fly between New Zealand and Australia, an Australian carrier should be able to fly between New Zealand and Samoa.

This is particularly so, if aviation regulations between Australia and Samoa have not changed since 2001 (as Polynesian operated these flights since then).

USAOZ wrote:

Will this be from an Australian, North American or Pacific Island airline?

My thoughts are that this will be NAN - YVR (Fiji Airways), rather than a route to the United States.

See: http://fijisun.com.fj/2015/08/26/analys ... i-airways/.

fi622 wrote:
Air Kiribati's (IK) Dash-8-100 arrived in Tarawa (TRW) earlier. There will be a series of proving flights scheduled before it joins revenue service alongside the Twin Otter and Harbin Y-12's in their fleet.

Indeed - it will undergo 100 hours of testing, before being used to primarily connect domestic ports.

Interestingly, Air Kiribati is considering using this aircraft type to open up FUN - this would be a pretty big deal, as FUN only receives flights from Fiji Airways.

The aircraft does look a bit bland, IMO:

See: https://www.ch-aviation.com/portal/news ... aiden-q100.

PieterBoth wrote:

WLS and FUT are intriguing, with their only services being from AirCalin.

I wonder if they will receive additional services in the future - in particular, from Talofa Airways.

See: http://www.radionz.co.nz/international/ ... y-to-tonga.

Cheers,

C.
only told that new USA/Australia operation would be low cost, with high density seating.

NAN/YVR makes sense for FJ, but not in a 737 as previously, but rather a widebody & do they have anytime with any of their 4 A330's ? Think they need another. Surely they wouldn't bother with less than 2 flights a week.

If they had better feed from MEL & ADL, ie. daylight flights to NAN, then possibly BNE, SYD, AKL, CHC. WLG + MEL & ADL could feed into services to YVR, SFO & LAX, but 2 aircraft can't be in 2 places at once & don't think they have enough 737's.

Surely when their new 737 Max's are due to arrive, they should try to negotiate continuing leases on 2 of their existing 738, so as to give them more feed in & out of NAN, turning NAN into more of a hub than it is now, just like AKL is to NZ.

USAOZ

Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:29 am

didn't French airline AOM I think it was called used to fly ORL/LAX/NOU a few times a week using DC10's ?

USAOZ

Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:30 am

USAOZ wrote:
didn't French airline AOM I think it was called used to fly ORL/LAX/NOU a few times a week using DC10's ?

yes here we go ............

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AOM_French_Airlines

planemanofnz

Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:33 am

USAOZ wrote:
only told that new USA/Australia operation would be low cost, with high density seating

Interesting - my thoughts on the potential operators:

- JQ: as OOL's runway is not that long, any North American flight would need a stop (though, JQ would not use A330s, as the rumour indicated)

- BF: it could extend its SFO - PPT flight to Australia, or serve the North America - Australia corridor via NOU (though, SFO - NOU is quite long)

- RV or TS: RV has no A330s now, but may get some of AC's - the routing could be from Canada via HNL (in the United States, as per the rumour)

USAOZ wrote:

Actually, it was with A340s, in 2000 - 2001 - it did not last very long.

There was a thread about it on this forum, all the way from back in 2001 - see: viewtopic.php?t=59933.

This was the airline's application to US DOT, for approval - see: http://airlineinfo.com/ostpdf24/727.pdf.

mariner wrote:
They can - conceptually, at least - as long as the flight originates in Australia

Which makes me wonder why VA does not just extend its daily SYD - AKL flight to APW?

Cheers,

C.

DavidByrne

Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:23 am

Many, many years ago Pan Am used to fly SYD-(LAX?) via NOU and HNL with 707s - once weekly IIRC. I think that at some point also UTA used to have a PPT-NOU tag on some of its LAX flights - but this was also 40-ish years ago!
This is not my beautiful house . . . This is not my beautiful wife

mariner

Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:45 am

planemanofnz wrote:
Which makes me wonder why VA does not just extend its daily SYD - AKL flight to APW?

I've no idea and it makes me think there's been a cock-up by the lawyers somewhere along the line.

DavidByrne wrote:
Many, many years ago Pan Am used to fly SYD-(LAX?) via NOU and HNL with 707s - once weekly IIRC. I think that at some point also UTA used to have a PPT-NOU tag on some of its LAX flights - but this was also 40-ish years ago!

I flew UTA in 1971 on the NAN-NOU leg. In those days it was one of the simplest ways of getting from Auckland to Noumea. It was quite a short flight but they gave us a great lunch - I remember that meal to this day.

mariner
aeternum nauta

planemanofnz

Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:51 am

This whole debacle could be very damaging for Samoa's ability to attract foreign investment (particularly in respect of aviation).

For all of its issues, Fiji is modernizing its economy, and sending a strong signal to foreign investors that it is open for business. For example, Fiji is in the process of upgrading its international arbitration law, to reflect best practice. In addition, even though QF has not been totally happy with its investment in FJ, it has not received significant interference from the Fijian government. As a result, on the long-haul front, Fiji has been able to court new flights on FJ to the likes of HKG and SIN, with important partnerships (like those with CX and HX) developed.

In contrast, Samoa's history with foreign investment through aviation has been nothing short of a disaster:

- In 2011, the Samoan government allegedly accused NZ of "holding it to ransom," and being both "greedy and unethical," in respect of subsidies
- After NZ and VA entered into an alliance, many Samoan MPs complained of a "lack of competition" (despite no co-operation between NZ and VA to APW)
- In 2015, New Zealand media reported that the Prime Minister of Samoa was putting pressure on Airlines PNG to launch flights to Samoa, "within 12 months"
- Prior to Talofa Airways' launch in 2016, the Prime Minister of Samoa warned the airline not to take on debt (note - this is a private (not public) airline)
- In 2016, the CEO of Samoa's Tourism Authority - Papali'i Sonja Hunter - claimed that international airlines were "patronising" Samoa, with their operations
- Now, in 2017, the Samoan government is accusing the Virgin Group of being "liars" and "stupid," for inflicting "rippling economic damage" on Samoa

See:
- http://www.radionz.co.nz/international/ ... la-service.
- http://www.radionz.co.nz/international/ ... ine-advice.
- http://www.radionz.co.nz/international/ ... nal-option.
- http://www.radionz.co.nz/international/ ... about-debt.
- http://www.radionz.co.nz/international/ ... line-going.
- http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news ... d=11939013.
- http://www.sobserver.ws/en/01_11_2017/l ... icense.htm.

In addition, Samoa has been full of false hope for international aviation development, including, for example:

- The failed talks between the Samoan government and various Chinese airlines, in 2013 and 2016, for China - Samoa flights
- The failed proposed partnership between PH and TN in 2015, to "to connect Samoa with Asia, North America and Europe"
- The failed talks between the Samoan government and EK in 2016, which would have facilitated at least in-direct new flights

See:
- http://www.radionz.co.nz/international/ ... from-china.
- http://www.radionz.co.nz/international/ ... o-tourists.
- http://www.radionz.co.nz/international/ ... o-asia,-us.
- http://www.radionz.co.nz/international/ ... s-airlines.

Samoa gained 'Approved Destination Status' from China many years ago, while New Caledonia only just received this status. Nevertheless, new Asian long-haul services continue to be launched to New Caledonia, as well as Fiji and French Polynesia, but not Samoa. There is no sign that the Samoan government is properly courting either new charter or scheduled flights. In particular, Samoa may have an opportunity to differentiate itself from more expensive island destinations in the region, by courting low-cost long-haul airlines, like D7 or TZ (but, AFAIK, it is not).

Then, of course, there are the rumours that Samoa Airways is looking at acquiring a 777 - I will not get into that. :lol:

See: http://www.radionz.co.nz/international/ ... -of-choice.

I wish Samoa well with its venture, but I am highly doubtful about its ability to compete with other airlines and nations in the region.

Cheers,

C.

VirginFlyer
Topic Author

Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:03 pm

planemanofnz wrote:
Then, of course, there are the rumours that Samoa Airways is looking at acquiring a 777 - I will not get into that. :lol:

See: http://www.radionz.co.nz/international/ ... -of-choice.

This needs to be put to bed. The press release the RNZ story cites says nothing about the 777, but rather the 737 MAX. RNZ bungled the report and have so far failed to correct it.

V/F
It is not for him to pride himself who loveth his own country, but rather for him who loveth the whole world. The earth is but one country, and mankind its citizens. —Bahá'u'lláh

planemanofnz

Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:15 pm

VirginFlyer wrote:
This needs to be put to bed. The press release the RNZ story cites says nothing about the 777, but rather the 737 MAX. RNZ bungled the report and have so far failed to correct it.

I noted in my post that it was just a rumour.

The story regarding new aircraft has been reported in various manners, including:

1. 737MAX
- https://www.ch-aviation.com/portal/news ... n-the-line.

2. 777
- http://www.samoaobserver.ws/en/22_09_20 ... option.htm.

3. 777MAX
- http://www.talamua.com/samoa-airways-73 ... -november/.

Cheers,

C.

VirginFlyer
Topic Author

Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:27 pm

planemanofnz wrote:
VirginFlyer wrote:

I noted in my post that it was just a rumour.

The story regarding new aircraft has been reported in various manners, including:

1. 737MAX
- https://www.ch-aviation.com/portal/news ... n-the-line.

2. 777
- http://www.samoaobserver.ws/en/22_09_20 ... option.htm.

3. 777MAX
- http://www.talamua.com/samoa-airways-73 ... -november/.

Cheers,

C.

It is not a rumour though; it is a misreporting of the press release which they give as the source of their information. The Samoa Observer article is a direct reproduction of the RNZ one; the Talamua one talking about a 777 MAX (no such beast, by the way) gets it from a quotation from the minister, but when you look back at what the minister's release said, you will see that specific quotation referred to the 737 MAX. I covered this earlier in this thread, when RNZ first posted the erroneous story:

VirginFlyer wrote:
An update on Samoa Airways:

Samoa Airways set Nov 14 for inaugural flights
(M.P.M.C. Press Secretary); Samoa Airways will make her international debut to Auckland from Faleolo on November 14th, the Minister responsible for Polynesian Airlines Lautafi Fio Selafi Purcell has confirmed.
The 737-800 leased from Iceland Air is schedule to arrive on Sunday November 12th with the following day set aside for the christening formalities before Samoa Airways makes her inaugural flight on Tuesday November 14th.
The aircraft has a seating capacity for 172 seating capacity including 8 in the business class.
She will also have its logo painted on it when she arrives, says Lautafi.
“As advertised, Samoa Airways will have 6 flights a week between Auckland and Faleolo and twice a week between Faleolo and Sydney,” elaborated the Minister.
“We will launch our new national carrier brand with our range of meaalofa fares already on the market (with meals included) for these destinations before we advertise the regular fairs which I can safely say are more affordable compared to the fares now.”
“And the down the line we hope to lease or acquire a 737-MAX aircraft by 2019 to expand Samoa Airways services to other destinations such as Melbourne and Brisbane in Australia.”
Lautafi says that the initial lease agreement with Iceland Air is a wet lease that includes pilots and stewards for the aircraft.
But the tentative plan is for a dry lease on the long run which will see Samoa Airways outfitting the airlines with their own pilots and supporting staff.
“So far everything is falling in place as we look forward to the return of our new branded national carrier to international services as planned,” the Minister concluded.

https://www.facebook.com/samoagovt/post ... 9131934436

Interestingly Radio New Zealand is reporting that they are looking at the 777, but it seems it may be a misreading of the above press release, which talks about the 737 MAX for the time and routes RNZ is referring to:

Samoa Airways explores Boeing 777 as next plane of choice

Samoa's national airline, Samoa Airways is exploring the acquisition of the world's largest twin jet airplane, the Boeing 777, as it's next plane of choice.

In a press release, the Minister responsible for Polynesian Airlines, Lautafi Fio Selafi Purcell indicated the airline will introduce the state of the art aircraft within a couple of years.

He said they hope to lease or acquire it by 2019 to expand Samoa Airways services to other destinations such as Melbourne and Brisbane.

Full article: http://www.radionz.co.nz/international/ ... -of-choice

V/F

It is always a good idea when something seems a little bit strange, and a source is given for it, to go back to that source and check that it hasn't been misreported.

V/F

mariner

Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:28 pm

planemanofnz wrote:
This whole debacle could be very damaging for Samoa's ability to attract foreign investment (particularly in respect of aviation).

For all of its issues, Fiji is modernizing its economy, and sending a strong signal to foreign investors that it is open for business.

Fair suck of the sav, Fiji is now coming out of a remarkably unstable time. A coup in 2000, another coup in 2006 and a constitutional crisis in 2009 with elections delayed until 2014. By comparison, Samoa's government has been a model of stability.

I have no particular regard for the Samoan government but not all the ills you list were 100% Samoa's fault and I'll always allow for some emotion if someone kicks you in the nuts, as in:

planemanofnz wrote:
- In 2011, the Samoan government allegedly accused NZ of "holding it to ransom," and being both "greedy and unethical," in respect of subsidies

Yes, the Samoan PM "blasted" NZ, but with fairly good cause:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/travel/destinati ... ges-Air-NZ

An Air New Zealand decision to can its weekly Los Angeles-Apia service has drawn a blast from Samoan Prime Minister Tuilaepa Sailele who claims it was stupid.

In an interview with the Samoa Observer he said Air New Zealand wanted to uncap the amount of money Samoa and Tonga would have to pay to cover losses.

"They made the conditions unbearable by removing the cap on losses to be subsidised.... The reality of the situation meant if there was a $100 million loss then we'd have to fork out that money and pay it to Air New Zealand."

The Prime Minister said Air New Zealand was withdrawing the service so that it would force mainly US tourists to fly to Auckland."

Even though I seriously doubt the route would ever have lost $100 million, his point is valid and I have some sympathy with his position - or at least his feelings.

As to your second point, the Samoans believe there was collusion between NZ and Virgin to keep prices high by keeping seats low. The increase in seats by NZ after Samoa acted against Virgin might seem to confirm this, at least in their minds:

https://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/press-r ... amoa-route

"Air New Zealand is growing its Samoa operation with a move to widebody aircraft services at least twice weekly year-round, adding at least 14,500 extra seats between Auckland and Apia annually"

It takes two to tango.

mariner
aeternum nauta

DavidByrne

Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:17 pm

mariner wrote:
I flew UTA in 1971 on the NAN-NOU leg. In those days it was one of the simplest ways of getting from Auckland to Noumea. It was quite a short flight but they gave us a great lunch - I remember that meal to this day.

mariner

Ah yes, I remember the days when UTA was the cheapest way of getting from NZ to Europe. You took the weekly DC10 flight AKL-NOU, and then overnighted and connected next day with the flight (PPT-originating, I think) from NOU-HLP-SIN-BAH-CDG - a 747-300 at the time I travelled that way (late 1983). And had a week's stopover in SIN en route at no extra cost.

The one and only time I travelled on a Caravelle was also to NOU - from SYD. I was seated in the last row, right next to the engines, had no window (shame, those triangular windows were rather special) and the noise made my ears ring for a couple of days thereafter!
This is not my beautiful house . . . This is not my beautiful wife

planemanofnz

Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:22 pm

VirginFlyer wrote:
It is not a rumour though; it is a misreporting of the press release which they give as the source of their information

I understand your point, but actually, several articles do not cite a press release as the source of their information - they just say that "The Minister" ... "has confirmed that."

mariner wrote:
Fiji is now coming out of a remarkably unstable time. A coup in 2000, another coup in 2006 and a constitutional crisis in 2009 with elections delayed until 2014. By comparison, Samoa's government has been a model of stability

I am not talking about 2000, or 2006, or 2009 though - I am talking about recent times, in which FJ has launched services to HKG, SFO and SIN, and upgraded its fleet.

Fiji's economy has largely out-grown Samoa's in this period (by growing ~2% more than Samoa's economy), and is forecast to continue to do so in the coming years:

- 2014: 5.6% (Fiji); 1.2% (Samoa)
- 2015: 3.6% (Fiji); 1.6% (Samoa)
- 2016: 2.0% (Fiji); 6.6% (Samoa)
- 2017: 3.5% (Fiji); 2.0% (Samoa)
- 2018: 4.0% (Fiji); 1.5% (Samoa)

See: https://www.adb.org/sites/default/files ... lights.pdf.

As Moody's notes, this growth is a result of Fiji taking a number of measures which, together, enhance Fiji's institutional framework and strengthen policy effectiveness.

In an aviation context, this includes:

- Promptly resolving air services disputes (like, with the Solomon Islands in 2015)
- Part-funding aviation initiatives (like, the Fijian Aviation Academy in 2016)
- Concluding new air services agreements (like, with India in 2017)
- Expanding existing air services agreements (like, with Australia in 2017)
- Supporting aviation events (like, Fiji hosting the DGCA Conference in 2018)

Fiji also passed the Civil Aviation (Montreal Convention, 1999) Act in 2016, and is also drafting new regulations to further increase Fiji’s compliance with ICAO standards.

All of these measures make for a far more conducive environment for aviation development, than that in Samoa, where NZ, VA and others are receiving constant criticism.

mariner wrote:
Even though I seriously doubt the route would ever have lost $100 million, his point is valid and I have some sympathy with his position - or at least his feelings

The Samoan Prime Minister said, as you quoted, "if there was a $100 million loss then we'd have to fork out that money." Yes - NZ is a for-profit, commercial entity - it is not in the business of giving preferential treatment to Samoa, for the sake of it.

The Prime Minister also said that NZ was "acting purely for its own self interest and unwilling to commit to developing the route." Yes - again, NZ is a for-profit, commercial entity, and it did try to develop the LAX service, by operating it for many years.

mariner wrote:
As to your second point, the Samoans believe there was collusion between NZ and Virgin to keep prices high by keeping seats low. The increase in seats by NZ after Samoa acted against Virgin might seem to confirm this, at least in their minds

That is a bold accusation to make, particularly when NZ was just a minority shareholder, and the NZ - VA alliance explicitly excluded services to Samoa.

Even if collusion is what the Samoans thought, they would have been wise to have kept their rumblings to themselves - they had no hard evidence whatsoever.

Finally, as to your point about the timing of NZ's increased capacity to APW potentially proving collusion between NZ and VA, I struggle to see the logic in this. After Samoa "acted against" the Virgin Group, if there was in fact collusion, NZ (and VA) would have reduced capacity on AKL - APW, to mitigate the impact of additional capacity from Samoa Airways being brought into the market. The additional NZ capacity does have clear support from fundamentals, such as New Zealand visitor arrivals to Samoa increasing ~10% in 2016.

Cheers,

C.

VirginFlyer
Topic Author

Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:13 am

planemanofnz wrote:
VirginFlyer wrote:
It is not a rumour though; it is a misreporting of the press release which they give as the source of their information

I understand your point, but actually, several articles do not cite a press release as the source of their information - they just say that "The Minister" ... "has confirmed that."

Please feel free to share them then. Then we can look and see whether they are misquoting the minister's release, drawing on another article which has misquoted the minister's release, or actually on to something. As a hint, if they talking about aircraft arriving in 2019 and allowing routes to be opened to Melbourne and Brisbane, that's a fairly good indication their source is the release from the minister.

V/F

mariner

Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:25 am

planemanofnz wrote:
I am not talking about 2000, or 2006, or 2009 though - I am talking about recent times, in which FJ has launched services to HKG, SFO and SIN, and upgraded its fleet.

2014, which is when the much delayed elections were held, is reasonably recent, but your point about Fiji's airline has resonance for Samoa and the way that Virgin Samoa was structured.

The Samoans went into the deal because with Virgin they believed they would eventually get more than just NZ/Australia services - they hoped for LAX, at least. Whether the World Bank or Virgin or both led them to believe this is unknown to me and you can say they were naive and I wouldn't argue. I don't come here to argue.

I expect the relevant points of the original contract are in the archives here (because I posted 'em). Even though Virgin was a minority shareholder (49%) as was Samoa (49%) Virgin had the authority to run the airline as it saw fit - including deciding on any additional destinations. Samoa could request destinations and Virgin would examine them but was not obligated to start them - or, if it did, Samoa was responsible for any losses on those routes.

So even if Samoa had wanted to start LAX or HKG or SFO or SIN, it couldn't if Virgin didn't agree.

It may be worth pointing out - again - that the Samoan government was not the majority shareholder, either. Like Virgin, Samoa held 49%. The spare 2% was held by the Grey Group (Aggie Grey hotels).

planemanofnz wrote:
Fiji's economy has largely out-grown Samoa's in this period (by growing ~2% more than Samoa's economy), and is forecast to continue to do so in the coming years:

- 2014: 5.6% (Fiji); 1.2% (Samoa)
- 2015: 3.6% (Fiji); 1.6% (Samoa)
- 2016: 2.0% (Fiji); 6.6% (Samoa)
- 2017: 3.5% (Fiji); 2.0% (Samoa)
- 2018: 4.0% (Fiji); 1.5% (Samoa)

See: https://www.adb.org/sites/default/files ... lights.pdf.

As Moody's notes, this growth is a result of Fiji taking a number of measures which, together, enhance Fiji's institutional framework and strengthen policy effectiveness.

I'm not quite sure what that has to do with the subject, but yes, okay.

planemanofnz wrote:
In an aviation context, this includes:

- Promptly resolving air services disputes (like, with the Solomon Islands in 2015)
- Part-funding aviation initiatives (like, the Fijian Aviation Academy in 2016)
- Concluding new air services agreements (like, with India in 2017)
- Expanding existing air services agreements (like, with Australia in 2017)
- Supporting aviation events (like, Fiji hosting the DGCA Conference in 2018)

Fiji also passed the Civil Aviation (Montreal Convention, 1999) Act in 2016, and is also drafting new regulations to further increase Fiji’s compliance with ICAO standards.

All of these measures make for a far more conducive environment for aviation development, than that in Samoa, where NZ, VA and others are receiving constant criticism.

Okay. I didn't think I was comparing Samoa to Fiji, nor am I cheer-leading for Samoa. I could say that the population of Fiji is more than five times that of Samoa but you have denigrated population size in the past, with me, so I won't bother.

planemanofnz wrote:
The Samoan Prime Minister said, as you quoted, "if there was a $100 million loss then we'd have to fork out that money." Yes - NZ is a for-profit, commercial entity - it is not in the business of giving preferential treatment to Samoa, for the sake of it.

I'm not arguing, I agree. I'm simply trying to explain why it was said, and that I do have some sympathy with their position. Rarotonga, on the other hand, decided to go on paying the subsidy.

planemanofnz wrote:
The Prime Minister also said that NZ was "acting purely for its own self interest and unwilling to commit to developing the route." Yes - again, NZ is a for-profit, commercial entity, and it did try to develop the LAX service, by operating it for many years.

Again, I'm not arguing, I agree.

planemanofnz wrote:
That is a bold accusation to make, particularly when NZ was just a minority shareholder, and the NZ - VA alliance explicitly excluded services to Samoa. Even if collusion is what the Samoans thought, they would have been wise to have kept their rumblings to themselves - they had no hard evidence whatsoever.

Well, they've said it, and no one's made a fuss. The only reaction they've had is NZ adding seats.

planemanofnz wrote:
Finally, as to your point about the timing of NZ's increased capacity to APW potentially proving collusion between NZ and VA, I struggle to see the logic in this. After Samoa "acted against" the Virgin Group, if there was in fact collusion, NZ (and VA) would have reduced capacity on AKL - APW, to mitigate the impact of additional capacity from Samoa Airways being brought into the market. The additional NZ capacity does have clear support from fundamentals, such as New Zealand visitor arrivals to Samoa increasing ~10% in 2016.

It isn't "my" point, it's their point.

Not that you've ever asked, and I doubt that you care, but I think it's a by-product of something similar to what NZ's Same Tariana Turia described as "post colonial stress disorder" in Maori.

mariner
aeternum nauta

planemanofnz

Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:56 am

Whitegrass and Pekoa airports in Tanna and Santo respectively (Vanuatu) will receive rehabilitation and upgrade works, commencing this month.

See: http://www.radionz.co.nz/international/ ... tu-airport.

Santo is interesting - it currently has international flights on NF to BNE and NOU. I wonder if NF would consider further services to SYD or AKL.

mariner wrote:
So even if Samoa had wanted to start LAX or HKG or SFO or SIN, it couldn't if Virgin didn't agree.

Samoa could have better induced other airlines to start such long-haul services though - it did not need to rely solely on the Virgin Group.

For example, the HNA Group might consider flights, if incentivized to build a hotel, like it has done in French Polynesia (which now gets HU flights).

mariner wrote:
I could say that the population of Fiji is more than five times that of Samoa but you have denigrated population size in the past, with me, so I won't bother.

I do not understand why population has been brought into this - my comparison with Fiji was merely to highlight what good policy support looks like.

If you want to argue route development based on population as a main factor, then:

- French Polynesia and New Caledonia, which have a comparable catchment area to that of Samoa, have many long-haul flights (like, to NRT)

- Fiji has flights from 5 long-haul destinations (HKG, ICN, LAX, SFO, SIN) - with 1/5 the population of Fiji, Samoa should therefore support 1 long-haul flight

Obviously, this analysis is far too simplistic - there are various other factors at play here, such as government policy support for route development.

Cheers,

C.

mariner

Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:14 am

planemanofnz wrote:
Samoa could have better induced other airlines to start such long-haul services though - it did not need to rely solely on the Virgin Group.

For example, the HNA Group might consider flights, if incentivized to build a hotel, like it has done in French Polynesia (which now gets HU flights).

Maybe they could have induced other airlines - but, as far as I know, they didn't try. For a deal of that time - who can say how long - they were putting their faith in Virgin. But its always possible that because of their somewhat restrictive contract with Virgin, they couldn't try to interest other airlines. I dunno.

And again, if you say they were naive - I'm not going to argue.

planemanofnz wrote:
I do not understand why population has been brought into this - my comparison with Fiji was merely to highlight what good policy support looks like.

If you want to argue route development based on population as a main factor, then:

I don't want to argue anything, I'm surely not counsel for Samoa - LOL. I know what policy support looks like and and I'm not arguing population as a basis of route development. I have a more arcane view. of the implications and/or consequences of population.

My governing interest is in why people do and say the things they do - motivation.

mariner
aeternum nauta

planemanofnz

Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:42 am

FJ is adding capacity on NAN - SIN.

The number of Singaporeans travelling to Fiji increased by 120 per cent between 2015 and 2016.

I wonder if this growth will encourage D7 or TZ to fly to Fiji.

See: http://fijisun.com.fj/2017/11/04/fiji-a ... singapore/.

Cheers,

C.

Qantas16

Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:31 am

planemanofnz wrote:
FJ is adding capacity on NAN - SIN.

The number of Singaporeans travelling to Fiji increased by 120 per cent between 2015 and 2016.

I wonder if this growth will encourage D7 or TZ to fly to Fiji.

See: http://fijisun.com.fj/2017/11/04/fiji-a ... singapore/.

Cheers,

C.

Potentially but it's still a small market, only 3x weekly A330 and it's (relatively) a long flight (nearly as long as NAN-LAX) which is longer than anything D7 flies at the moment (IIRC) and longer than most TZ flights.

aemoreira1981

Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:19 am

Within the Western Hemisphere (east of the International Date Line), I have to wonder if HA could really make itself a true connecting airline, given that the A321neo opens up a lot of routes that were previously restricted. Almost anywhere in the South Pacific east of the International Date Line is reachable with a narrow-body A321neo without restriction. Fiji, Tonga, and Tahiti are now reachable with a narrow-body...and Tonga is opened up now that HA will have a narrow-body.

planemanofnz

Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:29 pm

Samoa Airways' first plane has now been painted:

I must say - I do prefer the old Polynesian livery:

aemoreira1981 wrote:
Fiji, Tonga, and Tahiti are now reachable with a narrow-body

Within the region, HNL already has services to APW (FJ), NAN (FJ), PPG (HA) and PPT (HA).

Out of the following routes (a mixture of those already served, and possible new routes), I see HNL - RAR as the most likely new route.

Cheers,

C.

nicode

Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:44 pm

HNL-WLS ? Note a chance.

Orherwise, why not some triangular routes ? HNL-NAN-SUV-HNL. Same story with PPG and APW.

planemanofnz

Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:50 pm

nicode wrote:
HNL-WLS ? Note a chance.

:checkmark:

Or, at the most, a very small chance.

nicode wrote:
Orherwise, why not some triangular routes ? HNL-NAN-SUV-HNL. Same story with PPG and APW.

You raise an interesting point - in a region where distances are vast and populations are small, triangular routes might be a solution.

How about some of these?

This also sparked another interesting thought in my head, as to what the 'tag' routes within the South Pacific are - AFAIK, there is:

What routes am I missing?

Cheers,

C.

planemanofnz

Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:13 am

Samoa Airways has announced that it will deploy AirFi’s portable wireless in-flight entertainment (IFE) on its Boeing 737-800 aircraft.

See: https://apex.aero/2017/11/07/airfi-wire ... ernization.

I wonder whether Samoa Airways should even bother with IFE, particularly if it is placing a lot of importance on keeping costs (and fares) down?

Cheers,

C.

aemoreira1981

Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:19 am

nicode wrote:
HNL-WLS ? Note a chance.

Hmmm...never thought of that before. With smaller aircraft, frequencies can be increased. For instance, to Tahiti, HA currently flies an A332. That could be downgraded to an A21N and be done twice weekly as a triangular. TBU is an airport that not only could be served triangularly, but is opened up completely by the A21N as wide-bodies are generally not allowed into TBU. That said, of the map, SUV is beyond the range of the A21N (non-LR), and HIR and SON are pushing it in terms of range. The A321LR isn't a plane I see as having a fit in HA because I would presume that HA would want to carry belly cargo.

planemanofnz

Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:02 am

aemoreira1981 wrote:
With smaller aircraft, frequencies can be increased. For instance, to Tahiti, HA currently flies an A332. That could be downgraded to an A21N and be done twice weekly as a triangular.

Most markets in the Pacific Islands are not frequency-sensitive.

aemoreira1981 wrote:
TBU is an airport that not only could be served triangularly, but is opened up completely by the A21N as wide-bodies are generally not allowed into TBU.

TBU can be served by wide-bodies, as it has been by NZ in the past:

See: http://www.tongaairports.com/about/paci ... test-news/.

aemoreira1981 wrote:
SUV is beyond the range of the A21N (non-LR)

HNL - SUV (3,140 mi) is shorter than HNL - TBU (3,148 mi).

Cheers,

C.

ZK-NBT

Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:11 am

NZ fly widebodies to TBU several times a week. I’m not sure where you heard they aren’t generally allowed there.

mariner

Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:39 am

aemoreira1981 wrote:
That could be downgraded to an A21N and be done twice weekly as a triangular...........The A321LR isn't a plane I see as having a fit in HA because I would presume that HA would want to carry belly cargo.

Sorry, but I don't know what aircraft the A21N is. I thought it might be the A321Neo, but you write out A321NeoLR, so I got confused.

mariner
aeternum nauta

planemanofnz

Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:56 am

FJ is extending its codeshare relationship with QF.

"Customers can now travel on one-ticket to Nadi, Fiji from major Australian cities and regional areas, including Perth, Hobart, Canberra, Darwin, Townsville and Rockhampton, with quick connections via Sydney or Brisbane."

See: http://aviationtribune.com/airlines/pac ... nt-qantas/.

This may lay a platform for FJ to stimulate demand from these secondary Australian destinations, before serving these with FJ's own metal in the future, should the QF codeshare arrangement grow the market sufficiently.

Cheers,

C.

aemoreira1981

Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:18 pm

mariner wrote:
aemoreira1981 wrote:
That could be downgraded to an A21N and be done twice weekly as a triangular...........The A321LR isn't a plane I see as having a fit in HA because I would presume that HA would want to carry belly cargo.

Sorry, but I don't know what aircraft the A21N is. I thought it might be the A321Neo, but you write out A321NeoLR, so I got confused.

mariner

A21N...ICAO Code for A321neo. Likewise, for the MAX, it’s B37M, B38M, B39M, and likely B3JM or B3KM for the MAX 10z

mariner

Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:24 pm

aemoreira1981 wrote:
A21N...ICAO Code for A321neo. Likewise, for the MAX, it’s B37M, B38M, B39M, and likely B3JM or B3KM for the MAX 10z

Thank you. Image

mariner
aeternum nauta

planemanofnz

Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:16 am

PX is upgrading its aircraft interiors, which is a welcome development as it seeks to turn POM into a hub.

See: https://blueswandaily.com/air-niugini-e ... -of-fleet/.

Separately, FJ is mounting images of moustaches on its ATR aircraft, in support of Movember this month.

See: http://www.fijitimes.com/story.aspx?id=423254.

Cheers,

C.

planemanofnz

Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:25 am

More bad news for AF in PPT (after BF launching PPT) - a strike by AF staff in PPT has forced AF to cancel its PPT - CDG service today.

See:
- http://www.radionz.co.nz/international/ ... rom-tahiti.
- http://www.radionz.co.nz/international/ ... nce-flight.

Separately, does anyone have any further details on who will be running Samoa Airways' operations in AKL - like check-in, lounges etc?

The airline's 737-800 arrived at APW earlier today, after flying through CNS - see: http://flightaware.com/live/flight/NOS8738.

Cheers,

C.

planemanofnz

Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:20 am

SB's WLS - FUT service has been suspended since Friday, due to staff sickness (supposedly, the local firefighters).

See: http://la1ere.francetvinfo.fr/wallisfut ... 31179.html.

I wonder what would have happened to those passengers from NOU with connections - would they be put up in WLS?

Cheers,

C.

planemanofnz

Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:04 am

On the topic of WLS, a petition in Wallis and Futuna has collected close to 1000 signatures in a week to call for a better service by AirCalin to the territory.

People are supposedly unhappy about "the low number of flights as well as baggage and freight charges."

Talofa Airways of Tonga was said to be considering a service to Wallis and Futuna, in July.

Aside from this, I can see Fiji Airways considering WLS, as it can be reached from NAN and SUV using turbo-props (which would be easier to fill than jets).

See:
- http://www.radionz.co.nz/international/ ... ne-service.
- http://www.radionz.co.nz/international/ ... y-to-tonga.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Air France is reportedly furious about the striking situation in Tahiti, and is considering pulling its LAX - PPT service.

"The head of Air France in Tahiti has told the local public broadcaster if no settlement is found, the route will have to be abandoned because it's not possible to bring in tourists whose return is not assured."

See: http://www.radionz.co.nz/international/ ... iti-strike.

Even if the strikes are resolved quickly, I can see Air France's PPT service facing the chop in the next year or two, particularly when French Blue launches.

Cheers,

C.

planemanofnz

Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:02 am

Samoa Airways is not considering long-haul flights, at this stage - in fact, it is just confining itself to AKL and SYD.

See: http://www.radionz.co.nz/international/ ... nt-venture.

This is a smart move. IMHO, the Samoan government should be working to entice a Chinese carrier to APW, like HU.

Given the link between FJ and Samoa Airways, I think that QF should look at code-sharing on these new services.

Cheers,

C.

planemanofnz

Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:58 pm

Tuvalu's airport will receive a World Bank-sponsored upgrade.

"The money would go towards repairs of the runway at Funafuti Airport, which was being damaged by water infiltration exacerbated by tidal and sea level impacts."

See: http://www.radionz.co.nz/international/ ... e-upgraded.

FUN's only flights are from FJ, with ATR-72s - these are long flights (for ATR-72s), taking 2.5 hours one way (to / from SUV).

The airport at FUN is somewhat unusual in that due to limited space on the island, the runway is used as a common area for sporting and social activities when it is not in use. Sirens sound when a plane is about to land, warning residents to stay off the runway.

The terminal at FUN is very limited:

It is highly unlikely that carriers other than FJ would serve FUN, though I would be interested to hear your thoughts on potential aviation development in Tuvalu.

Cheers,

C.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos