NichCage
Topic Author
Posts: 916
Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:43 pm

Questions about El Al

Tue Dec 20, 2016 3:03 am

I have some questions about El Al:

1) What day and time do they park there planes as a result of Shabbat?

2) El Al only flies six days a week, would the Israeli market that El Al relies on allow them to fly seven days a week?

3) Why is it so hard for El Al to fly seven days a week and break the religious rule? Running an airline and religion should not stop an airline from being competitive.

4) Will El Al ever fly seven days a week?

5) What future routes will El Al fly with the Dreamliner?

6) What new cities will El Al start service to in the future?
 
User avatar
mercure1
Posts: 4561
Joined: Sun Jul 13, 2008 5:13 am

Re: Questions about El Al

Tue Dec 20, 2016 3:13 am

Sabbath is from sunset to sunset Friday to Saturday.

As part of the privatization of El Al, the carrier has no state-imposed restrictions, however like much business in Isreal including ground transportation services it opts not to operate during sabbath.

As been made clear in the past and deviation from such cultural norms would cost it not only public boycott by rabbinical and orthodox parties but it would create negative political dimensions in Israel that certainly would not benefit the company and its owners.
mercure f-wtcc
 
keitherson
Posts: 241
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:00 pm

Re: Questions about El Al

Tue Dec 20, 2016 3:16 am

mercure1 wrote:
Sabbath is from sunset to sunset Friday to Saturday.

As part of the privatization of El Al, the carrier has no state-imposed restrictions, however like much business in Isreal including ground transportation services it opts not to operate during sabbath.

As been made clear in the past and deviation from such cultural norms would cost it not only public boycott by rabbinical and orthodox parties but it would create negative political dimensions in Israel that certainly would not benefit the company and its owners.

And what other airline will these Orthodox go to instead? :roll:

Will they also continue to make requests not to be seated next to females because it's against their religion?

El Al needs to grow up and act like a real airline.
 
User avatar
LAXintl
Posts: 24008
Joined: Wed May 24, 2000 12:12 pm

Re: Questions about El Al

Tue Dec 20, 2016 3:40 am

I see no point of operating on the sabbath for El Al.

The market demand is greatly reduced. Look at foreign airlines who pull down their schedules during the sabbath as well. El Al would operate half empty planes.

But no, I don't see anything changing atleast the next few decades. Israel is actually becoming more religiously observant. Even cosmopolitan Tel Aviv is half dead during the sabbath as much business outside of restaurants are closed and people spend the day with family. Its even more of a ghost town in other parts of the country. During the period public buses/trains don't operate with reduced taxi availability.

But those El Al planes don't always sit on the ground, they have for years been leased/chartered on occasion to companies like Sun d'Or and Israir.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California
 
32andBelow
Posts: 4126
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:54 am

Re: Questions about El Al

Tue Dec 20, 2016 3:41 am

El Al does operate some of their planes under a different brand or two on the other day. Also if you landed in Israel on that day there wouldn't be a whole lot to do, and traveling on the ground could be challenging.
 
rutankrd
Posts: 3025
Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2003 6:08 am

Re: Questions about El Al

Tue Dec 20, 2016 5:34 am

El-AL's aircraft operate extensive charter schedules on Saturdays in support of Sun D'Or and Arkia. In the summer this employs most of the 737 fleet.
 
avi
Posts: 901
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2001 1:27 am

Re: Questions about El Al

Tue Dec 20, 2016 6:52 pm

You need to understand one simple thing: to operate 7 days a week instead of 6 means increase workload by 17%. That's a lot. El Al does many of its maintenance work during the weekend (especially "small and quick" things). If they operate 7 days a week, they will need to schedule this maintenance work during the weekdays and this means they will not have enough aircraft.
To operate 7 days a week means they will need more aircraft, more air crews, more ground crews etc. This is not a simple thing.
As said, during the summer many of their aircraft are in the air on Sabbath and on holidays (so they do make money, they are not just on the ground) and I think they are happy as it is now.
Long live the B747
 
777klm
Posts: 551
Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2005 12:23 am

Re: Questions about El Al

Tue Dec 20, 2016 7:11 pm

32andBelow wrote:
El Al does operate some of their planes under a different brand or two on the other day. Also if you landed in Israel on that day there wouldn't be a whole lot to do, and traveling on the ground could be challenging.

Plenty to do in Tel Aviv. Also, taking a taxi would be no problem at all.
Home airport: AMS
Next flight: CNX - BKK
 
winGl3t
Posts: 318
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:52 pm

Re: Questions about El Al

Tue Dec 20, 2016 7:18 pm

Any word on product upgrades on El Al wide bodies?
 
Armodeen
Posts: 1227
Joined: Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:17 am

Re: Questions about El Al

Tue Dec 20, 2016 7:21 pm

avi wrote:
You need to understand one simple thing: to operate 7 days a week instead of 6 means increase workload by 17%. That's a lot. El Al does many of its maintenance work during the weekend (especially "small and quick" things). If they operate 7 days a week, they will need to schedule this maintenance work during the weekdays and this means they will not have enough aircraft.
To operate 7 days a week means they will need more aircraft, more air crews, more ground crews etc. This is not a simple thing.
As said, during the summer many of their aircraft are in the air on Sabbath and on holidays (so they do make money, they are not just on the ground) and I think they are happy as it is now.


If they operate an extensive charter schedule on the Sabbath then they already have the crews etc.
 
avi
Posts: 901
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2001 1:27 am

Re: Questions about El Al

Tue Dec 20, 2016 7:33 pm

Armodeen wrote:
If they operate an extensive charter schedule on the Sabbath then they already have the crews etc.


It is not the same.
Long live the B747
 
c933103
Posts: 3929
Joined: Wed May 18, 2016 7:23 pm

Re: Questions about El Al

Wed Dec 21, 2016 3:37 am

mercure1 wrote:
Sabbath is from sunset to sunset Friday to Saturday.

As part of the privatization of El Al, the carrier has no state-imposed restrictions, however like much business in Isreal including ground transportation services it opts not to operate during sabbath.

As been made clear in the past and deviation from such cultural norms would cost it not only public boycott by rabbinical and orthodox parties but it would create negative political dimensions in Israel that certainly would not benefit the company and its owners.

Is that local time or Israel time?
The message in signature have been removed according to demand.
 
User avatar
VirginFlyer
Posts: 5300
Joined: Sun Sep 10, 2000 12:27 pm

Re: Questions about El Al

Wed Dec 21, 2016 4:15 am

c933103 wrote:
mercure1 wrote:
Sabbath is from sunset to sunset Friday to Saturday.

Is that local time or Israel time?

I'm not sure I understand your question. Sunset is sunset. Are you asking does the cessation of trading last from local sunset to local sunset, or is there a standard time used?

V/F
It is not for him to pride himself who loveth his own country, but rather for him who loveth the whole world. The earth is but one country, and mankind its citizens. —Bahá'u'lláh
 
User avatar
AAlaxfan
Posts: 664
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:08 am

Re: Questions about El Al

Wed Dec 21, 2016 6:10 am

I believe LY ceases operations worldwide from sunset to sunset Tel Aviv time.
Grumpy. Not a dwarf, not an attitude. It's a lifestyle.
 
c933103
Posts: 3929
Joined: Wed May 18, 2016 7:23 pm

Re: Questions about El Al

Wed Dec 21, 2016 7:36 am

VirginFlyer wrote:
c933103 wrote:
mercure1 wrote:
Sabbath is from sunset to sunset Friday to Saturday.

Is that local time or Israel time?

I'm not sure I understand your question. Sunset is sunset. Are you asking does the cessation of trading last from local sunset to local sunset, or is there a standard time used?

V/F

Yes, that's what I was asking. Or in another word, if their plane is at Tokyo, can they start flying after Tokyo's sunset or do they have to wait till Jerusalem sunset? And what will happen if thet want to fly into Arctic during season of polar day/night?
The message in signature have been removed according to demand.
 
omerlich
Posts: 110
Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:29 pm

Re: Questions about El Al

Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:03 am

c933103 wrote:
VirginFlyer wrote:
c933103 wrote:
Is that local time or Israel time?

I'm not sure I understand your question. Sunset is sunset. Are you asking does the cessation of trading last from local sunset to local sunset, or is there a standard time used?

V/F

Yes, that's what I was asking. Or in another word, if their plane is at Tokyo, can they start flying after Tokyo's sunset or do they have to wait till Jerusalem sunset? And what will happen if thet want to fly into Arctic during season of polar day/night?


Local time at place of origin as long as the plane lands after sunset on saturday which is usually the case as most of these flights anway would land sunday early morning (BKK BOM HKG LHR CDG BCN ZRH SXF FCO MXP )
 
omerlich
Posts: 110
Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:29 pm

Re: Questions about El Al

Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:09 am

NichCage wrote:
I have some questions about El Al:

1) What day and time do they park there planes as a result of Shabbat?

2) El Al only flies six days a week, would the Israeli market that El Al relies on allow them to fly seven days a week?

3) Why is it so hard for El Al to fly seven days a week and break the religious rule? Running an airline and religion should not stop an airline from being competitive.

4) Will El Al ever fly seven days a week?

5) What future routes will El Al fly with the Dreamliner?

6) What new cities will El Al start service to in the future?


To answer all of your questions combine:simply put it,it's not economical to operate full 7 days schedule.
If you would watch TLV airport friday night and saturday day time,the place is a ghost town.To simply put it,the market isn't there so why do it?
That being said: during the peak of summer and holidays the planes do ly under IZ/6H codes.
As for your last 2 questions: the dreamliner wil bring a change of strategy: flying direct to cities in the US instead of funneling passengers through JFK/BOS with AA/B6..rumors for now indicate the first cities would be MIA/IAD.
 
omerlich
Posts: 110
Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:29 pm

Re: Questions about El Al

Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:12 am

winGl3t wrote:
Any word on product upgrades on El Al wide bodies?

Well:the B763 got flat bed seats bringing the entire wide body fleet to this status.There won't be any changes bearing in mind 787 will start arriving next summer.
The planes will feature a brand new platinum/business class and a true premium economy.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos