77H
Topic Author

Island Air (WP) Leasing 3 Q400's

Wed Dec 21, 2016 12:24 am

Aloha All,

Just read that Island Air (WP) is leasing 3 Q400's to replace their aged ATR72 fleet. WP has taken delivery of their first aircraft which is expected to arrive in HNL by month's end. The airline has options to lease 2 additional Q400's.Very exciting news for Hawaii residents and tourists alike as Hawaii's second airline will finally have an aircraft that will compete with Hawaiian's 712 aircraft. I have flown on HA and WP extensively the past few years and while I enjoy flying WP for turboprop appeal their old ATR's are delay prone and quite a bit slower than HA's 712's. The interiors are also very worn out compared to HA's cabins which are brightly lit with new colorful slimline seats. It will certainly be exciting to see how the new aircraft change WP's perception in the island chain and if it translates into positive performance for the airline. All that said, I'm not a fan of the new livery. This is the 3rd livery in about 5 years for WP. I think the current livery their ATR's wear is very vibrant and sophisticated. The new livery is a Euro white nightmare.

Article below with picture of the new aircraft:
http://www.bizjournals.com/pacific/news ... fleet.html

Mahalo,
77H

Varsity1

Re: Island Air (WP) Leasing 3 Q400's

Wed Dec 21, 2016 12:36 am

Are these the Ex-YX aircraft sitting in YYZ in UA colors? Didn't WP already operate the Q400??
"PPRuNe will no longer allow discussions regarding Etihad Airlines, its employees, executives, agents, or other representatives. Such threads will be deleted." - ME3 thug airlines suing anyone who brings negative information public..

77H
Topic Author

Wed Dec 21, 2016 1:22 am

Varsity1 wrote:
Are these the Ex-YX aircraft sitting in YYZ in UA colors? Didn't WP already operate the Q400??

WP was slated to take delivery of Q's ~2 years ago but dropped the order for financial reasons.

T prop

Wed Dec 21, 2016 2:36 am

Varsity1 wrote:

By the s.n. this one is a new build.

RWA380

Wed Dec 21, 2016 5:19 am

77H wrote:
Aloha All,

Just read that Island Air (WP) is leasing 3 Q400's to replace their aged ATR72 fleet. WP has taken delivery of their first aircraft which is expected to arrive in HNL by month's end. The airline has options to lease 2 additional Q400's.Very exciting news for Hawaii residents and tourists alike as Hawaii's second airline will finally have an aircraft that will compete with Hawaiian's 712 aircraft. I have flown on HA and WP extensively the past few years and while I enjoy flying WP for turboprop appeal their old ATR's are delay prone and quite a bit slower than HA's 712's. The interiors are also very worn out compared to HA's cabins which are brightly lit with new colorful slimline seats. It will certainly be exciting to see how the new aircraft change WP's perception in the island chain and if it translates into positive performance for the airline. All that said, I'm not a fan of the new livery. This is the 3rd livery in about 5 years for WP. I think the current livery their ATR's wear is very vibrant and sophisticated. The new livery is a Euro white nightmare.

Mahalo,
77H

Mahalo 77H for posting this. Well, I guess it was good I got my WP experience in last month on the ATR-72, my first time on their ATR-72's as I mostly fly with HA Interisland.

I agree with your assessment of the situation, The plane I was on N944WP (Lanai), was not in great condition, it reminded me of the days of Mahalo Air with their F-27's then ATR-42's. The flight from HNL to OGG was scenic as we never broke 10k, but also took 47 minutes, as we took off the reef runway at HNL, but the commuter terminal is sooooo much better than the Hawaiian terminal at HNL, for ease & much smaller crowds.

I was not too keen on the deplaning process at OGG, as the jetway you come up is steep & if you have a health issue, it could be tiresome.

I like the Q-400, my hometown airline is still exclusive to them, Horizon. I would think that the Q-400 will be a nice Interisland aircraft. Bottom line, people like jets, I wish we could see another small jet carrier in the Islands.

A month before last months flight, WP opened up a larger schedule for HNL-OGG, I called in days to see if they would accommodate us on an earlier flight, they were happy to do so & no charge as well.

Less than 2 weeks later the flight we were put on was cancelled & now our flight that we had been on was sold out. WP did in the end make it right, but with that kind of major schedule change 30 days prior to a flight makes me wonder what may be going on.

707 717 720 727-1/2 737-1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9 747-1/2/3/4 757-2/3 767-2/3/4 777-2/3 DC8 DC9 MD80/2/7/8 D10-1/3/4 M11 L10-1/2/5 A300/310/320
AA AC AQ AS BA BD BN CO CS DL EA EZ HA HG HP KL KN MP MW NK NW OZ PA PS QX RC RH RW SA TG TW UA US VS WA WC WN WP YS 8M

77H
Topic Author

Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:28 am

RWA380 wrote:
77H wrote:
Aloha All,

Mahalo,
77H

Mahalo 77H for posting this. Well, I guess it was good I got my WP experience in last month on the ATR-72, my first time on their ATR-72's as I mostly fly with HA Interisland.

I agree with your assessment of the situation, The plane I was on N944WP (Lanai), was not in great condition, it reminded me of the days of Mahalo Air with their F-27's then ATR-42's. The flight from HNL to OGG was scenic as we never broke 10k, but also took 47 minutes, as we took off the reef runway at HNL, but the commuter terminal is sooooo much better than the Hawaiian terminal at HNL, for ease & much smaller crowds.

I was not too keen on the deplaning process at OGG, as the jetway you come up is steep & if you have a health issue, it could be tiresome.

I like the Q-400, my hometown airline is still exclusive to them, Horizon. I would think that the Q-400 will be a nice Interisland aircraft. Bottom line, people like jets, I wish we could see another small jet carrier in the Islands.

A month before last months flight, WP opened up a larger schedule for HNL-OGG, I called in days to see if they would accommodate us on an earlier flight, they were happy to do so & no charge as well.

Less than 2 weeks later the flight we were put on was cancelled & now our flight that we had been on was sold out. WP did in the end make it right, but with that kind of major schedule change 30 days prior to a flight makes me wonder what may be going on.

I can't believe they're getting rid of that beautiful livery. I wonder if the current one is costly to maintain.

77H

Passedv1

Wed Dec 21, 2016 12:16 pm

Passedv1 wrote:
77H wrote:
Varsity1 wrote:

WP was slated to take delivery of Q's ~2 years ago but dropped the order for financial reasons.

They operated the 400 for several months but the type was plaqued with implementation issues. They had a whole cadre of pilots trained, mechanics ground crews trained, etc.

DaveFly

Wed Dec 21, 2016 2:53 pm

I last flew Island Air in 2012, before the ATRs, on Dash-8s! But it was fine. I chose them because I wanted to use West Kapalua, not OGG. Service was good, they carried my luggage from the mainland HA flight, and JHM was much more convenient for me. Does JHM still have any airline service?
L1011,DC8,DC9,DC10,MD80/90
A300,A319,320,321,330,340,
CRJ,E135/45/190,
DH8,Avro85,DHBeaver,AstarHelo,F100,ATR42

azjubilee

Wed Dec 21, 2016 5:53 pm

DaveFly wrote:
Does JHM still have any airline service?

Hawaiian will be resuming service to JHM in 2017, through the Ohana by Hawaiian brand, flying ATR42-500's. It was to launch in January, but TSA issues has pushed that back a bit. I believe Mokulele flies their caravans there now.

Varsity1

Wed Dec 21, 2016 6:41 pm

Passedv1 wrote:
Passedv1 wrote:
77H wrote:

They operated the 400 for several months but the type was plaqued with implementation issues. They had a whole cadre of pilots trained, mechanics ground crews trained, etc.

So they just gave up?

The Q400 seems like an ideal inter island aircraft. It is just as fast as a jet on these stage lengths.
"PPRuNe will no longer allow discussions regarding Etihad Airlines, its employees, executives, agents, or other representatives. Such threads will be deleted." - ME3 thug airlines suing anyone who brings negative information public..

baje427

Wed Dec 21, 2016 6:57 pm

Given the dispatch reliability issues which seem to plague the Q400 would they not of been better off with getting some ATR 72-600's ?

jaybird

Wed Dec 21, 2016 7:57 pm

azjubilee wrote:
DaveFly wrote:

Hawaiian will be resuming service to JHM in 2017, through the Ohana by Hawaiian brand, flying ATR42-500's. It was to launch in January, but TSA issues has pushed that back a bit. I believe Mokulele flies their caravans there now.

West Maui needs better service than the Caravans. Hawaiian's flights are zeroed-out in SABRE - but I'm hoping they go in with more than 2 daily flights. Right now the HNL departures are 1206pm and 230pm - there needs to be morning service. And the returns back to HNL are 1045am and 113pm. There needs to be later return flights. I know the airport closes early - it's daylight operations only - but something later in the day between 4pm and 5pm to allow a same-day business trip would be helpful. Fingers crossed!

tjwgrr

Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:36 pm

azjubilee wrote:
DaveFly wrote:

ATR42-500's on a 3000' runway. That could be exciting.
Direct KNOBS, maintain 2700' until established on the localizer, cleared ILS runway 26 left approach.

azjubilee

Thu Dec 22, 2016 6:03 pm

jaybird wrote:
West Maui needs better service than the Caravans. Hawaiian's flights are zeroed-out in SABRE - but I'm hoping they go in with more than 2 daily flights. Right now the HNL departures are 1206pm and 230pm - there needs to be morning service. And the returns back to HNL are 1045am and 113pm. There needs to be later return flights. I know the airport closes early - it's daylight operations only - but something later in the day between 4pm and 5pm to allow a same-day business trip would be helpful. Fingers crossed!

They're zero'd out until the TSA gets its act together. When they do I would imagine the flights will go back on sale. The Ohana fleet is constrained with only 3 airplanes. Looks like they fly the full schedule with 2 and use 1 as a spare. The marketing times fit into the busiest connecting banks in HNL for the HAL transpac flights, so that's what I'm guessing is driving the schedule. The other thing is that it appears the OGG-ITO Ohana flying is going away to take on the JHM flying, so it had to fit into that block of time. If Ohana had more planes or didn't operate with a spare, I would imagine they could offer a different schedule, but I agree... a morning HNL departure with afternoon return would be great.

ha763

Fri Dec 23, 2016 4:59 am

Varsity1 wrote:
Passedv1 wrote:
Passedv1 wrote:

So they just gave up?

The Q400 seems like an ideal inter island aircraft. It is just as fast as a jet on these stage lengths.

The Q400s also came online around shortly before go! started operations. Once go! started flying, there was too much capacity and they couldn't keep up with the fare wars.

pdxswa

Fri Dec 23, 2016 8:59 am

Island Air's first Q400 sits at KPDX awaiting to go to KMMV for ferry tank installation. It diverted here the night before on its delivery due to fog at KMMV.

Pohakuloa

Mon Dec 26, 2016 4:14 am

Love the livery on the first Q400 in the daylight. My favorite WP livery thus far.

photo link
http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/2560 ... CRAR-s.jpg
Fast cars and 'Jet A' - such a sweet smell!

77H
Topic Author

Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:37 am

An update on the WP Q400's. It appears that the first flight will be on January 12 between HNL-OGG. The aircraft will be configured with 78 seats. 14 seats to be considered premium seating with 32 inch pitch and 64 standard seats with30 inch pitch. The plan appears call for the Q400 operating alongside the ATRs for the time being.

77H

embraer175e2

Sun May 28, 2017 1:48 am

baje427 wrote:
Given the dispatch reliability issues which seem to plague the Q400 would they not of been better off with getting some ATR 72-600's ?

Agree. I have a new topic on this question.

drdisque

Sun May 28, 2017 2:34 am

tjwgrr wrote:
azjubilee wrote:
DaveFly wrote:

ATR42-500's on a 3000' runway. That could be exciting.

ATR's operate on 3000' runways in French Polynesia every day. No drama. ATR's are very good in and out of short fields, that's however why their cruise speed leaves a bit to be desired.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos