Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

dubaiamman243
Topic Author

CX ends Riyadh

Thu Dec 22, 2016 6:59 pm

Starting from 04MAR17, Cathay Pacific will ends its thrice weekly flights to the Saudi Capital, Riyadh. The route is currently served with the A333.

Source: http://www.routesonline.com/news/38/air ... =hootsuite

Cathay will be the second airline to end flights to Riyadh after Korean. I think due to the weak Saudi economy.
The next airline CEO :crossfingers:

CanadaFair

Re: CX ends Riyadh

Thu Dec 22, 2016 7:41 pm

I dont know if youre aware they are both leaving the country, so did Singapore although replaced by Scoot, Cebu Pacific also left after a brief stint in Dammam, China Southern also went from Jeddah, I hope it dosent end up with only Muslim airlines from east flying there, currently Scoot and Philippines are the only ones left, Chinese carriers including Air China and China Eastern fly there with hajj charters and apparently even Thai does that.

Saudi used to get JAL and China Airlines as well in the past besides Thai scheduled flights.

KWI

Thu Dec 22, 2016 9:33 pm

I'm pretty sure Garuda still flies to Saudi as a scheduled airline (besides the Hajj charters)

Not sure about Malaysian, I think they've pulled out out the entire Middle East when they stopped their Dubai flights.

RL777

Thu Dec 22, 2016 9:39 pm

CX have slowly been dialling back service to the Middle East for a few years now, this isn't surprising given its weak performance of late.

CanadaFair

Thu Dec 22, 2016 10:40 pm

Malaysian and Garudai as well as Royal Brunei, AirAsiaX and Lionair are considered Muslim airlines, they all still serve JED, Brunei is now seasonal only. Scoot and Philippines are non-Muslim ones left there.

Another Indonesian one called Batavia used to fly there before it went bankrupt.

diesel33

Thu Dec 22, 2016 10:48 pm

Philippines Airlines serves RUH daily from MNL and Cebu Pacific 3x weekly.

I wonder if the new surge of seats between Riyadh and the Philippines is also a cause for CX to shut down their RUH station. I know a lot of Filipinos used CX before PR and 5J were in the picture.

CanadaFair

Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:17 pm

So from April its:

Cebu Pacific - Riyadh
Philippines - Jeddah, Riyadh
Royal Brunei - Jeddah seasonal
Garuda - Jeddah
Lionair - Jeddah
Scoot - Jeddah
Malaysian - Jeddah
AirAsiaX - Jeddah, Madinah

thekorean

Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:22 pm

KE pulled out of Saudi Arabia as well. Oil price tanking is really wrecking demand for Saudi Arabia flights.

Anansaudiajet

Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:44 pm

Maybe the best thing is CX pulls an SQ and uses Cathay Dragon for RUH or adds JED, the lower cost of KA can make it profitable, possibly.PS, does anyone know the loads of the TZ SIN-JED flight?

CanadaFair

Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:59 pm

Then Korean could send in Jin Air.

RacheyFlies

Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:12 am

Does SQ previously served the RUH-SIN route in the past? I think they previously served this route until a long time ago.
The best plane I've flown is an A380. They were the biggest and the best than other plane I've been on. :lol:

CanadaFair

Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:31 am

Yes they did, here are the former routes of all:

Batavia - Jeddah
Cebu Pacific - Dammam
China Airlines - Dhahran, Jeddah
Cathay - Dhahran, Jeddah
China Southern - Jeddah
Garuda - Dammam/Dhahran, Riyadh
JAL - Jeddah
Korean - Dhahran
Malaysian - Dammam
Philippines - Dhahran
Singapore Airlines - Dhahrah, Jeddah, Riyadh
Thai - Dhahran, Riyadh
Last edited by CanadaFair on Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:47 am, edited 3 times in total.

AngMoh

Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:38 am

TurnerJet wrote:
Does SQ previously served the RUH-SIN route in the past? I think they previously served this route until a long time ago.

There were flights to Riyadh with a tag on to Jeddah. Terminated in Dec 2014 and replaced with the Scoot flight to Jeddah.

http://www.routesonline.com/news/29/bre ... nd-riyadh/

The question is why anyone from South East Asia would want to travel to these two places other than as a religious destination. Saudi Arabia is unattractive as a tourist destination and there are very few business links. Oil and Gas related business is normally managed from Europe or in some cases Dubai and not from Asia.So there is no high value tourism and there is no business demand, so there is no place for airlines like SQ and CX.
727 732 733 734 735 73G 738 739/ER 742 743 744/M 752 753 762 772 77E 773 77W 788 A300 A310 A319 A320 A321 A332 A333 A343 A345 A346 A359 A35K A388 DC-9 DC-10 MD11 MD81 MD82 MD87 F70 ERJ145 E170 E175 E190 E195 ATR72 Q400 CRJ200 CRJ700 CRJ900 BAE146 RJ85

PayaLebar

Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:40 am

TurnerJet wrote:

Way way back in the early 80s, SQ served Dhahran only. It was with a DC-10.

CanadaFair

Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:42 am

Well CX and SQ were in Dhahran in the 70s or 80s, no religious traffic there.

PayaLebar

Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:46 am

CanadaFair wrote:
China Airlines - Dhahran,

Sometime in mid-1981, I was on a China Airlines flight out of Dhahran for Singapre. It was a 9 abreast 747 and they had Singaporean stewardesses.

LAX772LR

Fri Dec 23, 2016 1:13 am

Always figured that they'd switch it up with Dragon, but I guessing they don't see it as improving enough to save.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

juliuswong

Fri Dec 23, 2016 3:29 am

CanadaFair wrote:
So from April its:
Cebu Pacific - Riyadh
Philippines - Jeddah, Riyadh
Royal Brunei - Jeddah seasonal
Garuda - Jeddah
Lionair - Jeddah
Scoot - Jeddah
Malaysian - Jeddah
AirAsiaX - Jeddah, Madinah

Negative for Royal Brunei- BI operates 2x weekly Tuesday and Saturday, according to their 2016 Summer/Winter schedule.
https://www.flyroyalbrunei.com/static/p ... r_2016.pdf
https://www.flyroyalbrunei.com/static/p ... r_2016.pdf
- Life is a journey, travel it well -

zulhisham7888

Fri Dec 23, 2016 5:20 am

CanadaFair wrote:
Yes they did, here are the former routes of all:

Batavia - Jeddah
Cebu Pacific - Dammam
China Airlines - Dhahran, Jeddah
Cathay - Dhahran, Jeddah
China Southern - Jeddah
Garuda - Dammam/Dhahran, Riyadh
JAL - Jeddah
Korean - Dhahran
Malaysian - Dammam
Philippines - Dhahran
Singapore Airlines - Dhahrah, Jeddah, Riyadh
Thai - Dhahran, Riyadh

--
Malaysia Airlines used to fly to Riyadh (RUH) before.The route been suspended around 2013 if I'm not mistaken

CanadaFair

Fri Dec 23, 2016 5:21 am

What is negative about BI, that the service isn't seasonal?

MH never served Riyadh, it was planned in 2010 but did not launch.

HiJazzey

Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:28 pm

No surprise. These throwback routes that are infrequent and often have a stop belong in the past.
Not enough frequency and convenience for business traffic, and not cheap enough for the VFR traffic. Why fly CX when the gulf carriers have better schedules, service and price? Either go daily or go home.

AngMoh wrote:
TurnerJet wrote:

There were flights to Riyadh with a tag on to Jeddah. Terminated in Dec 2014 and replaced with the Scoot flight to Jeddah.

http://www.routesonline.com/news/29/bre ... nd-riyadh/

The question is why anyone from South East Asia would want to travel to these two places other than as a religious destination. Saudi Arabia is unattractive as a tourist destination and there are very few business links. Oil and Gas related business is normally managed from Europe or in some cases Dubai and not from Asia.So there is no high value tourism and there is no business demand, so there is no place for airlines like SQ and CX.

That's patently wrong. There's plenty of business links between Saudi Arabia and Asia, particularly in the E&C sector.
The big engineering companies in Japan, Korea and China all have sizeable business in Saudi. Singapore is a secondary player, but they still have companies like Ezra and Hyflux doing good business. And this sector continues to be attractive, since the Saudi O&G and industrials sectors are still growing and investing.
CX and SQ have just lost out to EK and QR and co for that business.

SCQ83

Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:41 pm

dubaiamman243 wrote:
Cathay will be the second airline to end flights to Riyadh after Korean. I think due to the weak Saudi economy.

Economy is one thing, but the effect of the ME3 is another.

Saudi Arabia used to have extremely restricted bilaterals even with their GCC "brothers" until they liberalised the system in 2010 or 2011. The reason why Emirates scheduled the A380 to JED from the very beginning (at the time the shortest in the world by far) was the lack of weekly frequencies (I think they were allowed to fly only about 5 weekly (!) between DXB and JED). A quick search shows now 3 daily A380s.

This was similar with Qatar and Etihad. And now QR and FlyDubai even serve secondary markets that connect them one-stop to everywhere in the world.

For carriers like Cathay and Singapore it is now much harder to compete with their sparse frequencies and one-stops.

juliuswong

Fri Dec 23, 2016 5:11 pm

CanadaFair wrote:
What is negative about BI, that the service isn't seasonal?

MH never served Riyadh, it was planned in 2010 but did not launch.

Negative as in it is not seasonal. It is a all year round service.

BestWestern

Fri Dec 23, 2016 5:19 pm

That leaves Saudi without a connection to HK. Quite surprising.
Greetings from Hong Kong.... a subsidiary of China Inc.

usflyer123

Fri Dec 23, 2016 5:27 pm

CanadaFair wrote:
I dont know if youre aware they are both leaving the country, so did Singapore although replaced by Scoot, Cebu Pacific also left after a brief stint in Dammam, China Southern also went from Jeddah, I hope it dosent end up with only Muslim airlines from east flying there, currently Scoot and Philippines are the only ones left, Chinese carriers including Air China and China Eastern fly there with hajj charters and apparently even Thai does that.

Saudi used to get JAL and China Airlines as well in the past besides Thai scheduled flights.

Is Thai even allowed flying to Saudi Arabia? I know that Thailand and Saudi Arabia dont have diplomatic relations.
for most people the sky is the limit. for those who love aviation, the sky is home...

juliuswong

Fri Dec 23, 2016 5:41 pm

usflyer123 wrote:
CanadaFair wrote:

Is Thai even allowed flying to Saudi Arabia? I know that Thailand and Saudi Arabia dont have diplomatic relations.

They did before back in 1985.
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-yZeroaSGWnM/T ... 2B2927.jpg
https://www.flickr.com/photos/caribb/53 ... n/set-635/

That's being said, the Blue Diamond Affairs happened in 1989, everything stopped. Both countries have been in cold war since then.

In total, TG operated flight into Cairo, Dhahran, Riyadh, Bahrain, Kuwait City and Baghdad before.

CanadaFair

Sat Dec 24, 2016 3:20 pm

Thai operated to Saudi till 1990 if not later, airlineroute showed them doing hajj charters last year or so.

Saudia have also leased aircraft from Orient Thai and Phuket Air throughout the years after the Diamond Affiar, both Thai carriers also operated hajj charters for other airlines with no problem.

Saudia Cargo served BKK right upto 2014.

flyfresno

Sat Dec 24, 2016 9:05 pm

India is East of Saudi Arabia...

CanadaFair

Sun Dec 25, 2016 5:17 am

The discussion is on far east carriers.

Channex757

Sun Dec 25, 2016 10:45 am

Looks like it's just airlines from nations that provide guest workers and military to Saudi Arabia. The airlines from places that are more commercially driven are the ones being cut back as the Saudis don't have cash to splash like they did, so much less freight and business traffic.

B777LRF

Sun Dec 25, 2016 11:06 am

AngMoh wrote:
TurnerJet wrote:
The question is why anyone from South East Asia would want to travel to these two places other than as a religious destination.

Might have gotten your (rhetorical) question wrong, but did you know that almost every single position in the service, construction and gas industries of KSA is filled by a person from SE Asia? It's a sad fact the vast majority KSA nationals are either too arrogant, lazy or incompetent to hold a job, unless it's a 'non-job' within the ranks of government, and certainly think any job in the service industry is well beneath them, however unfathomable that may seem given their level of 'competence'. Hence the reason several million expat workers from all over the world are there, to run everything from assembling your Big Mac to managing the national oil company.

Expat workers is, in fact, the sole reason why anyone flies to KSA outside of religious service. It's difficult getting a business visa to KSA and, besides, anyone unfortunate enough to work there will jump at the chance of getting out of dodge. I worked for several years in the GCC, and never once did we hold a meeting in KSA - mainly to allow our KSA based staff the chance of joining the meeting somewhere else.

PS
The 'real' police of KSA is mainly made up of Pakistani nationals. Same with fire and EMS services. Yes, even those tasks so vital to a functioning nationstate are unable to attract local 'talent'.
Signature. You just read one.

HiJazzey

Sun Dec 25, 2016 10:08 pm

B777LRF wrote:
AngMoh wrote:
TurnerJet wrote:
The question is why anyone from South East Asia would want to travel to these two places other than as a religious destination.

Might have gotten your (rhetorical) question wrong, but did you know that almost every single position in the service, construction and gas industries of KSA is filled by a person from SE Asia? It's a sad fact the vast majority KSA nationals are either too arrogant, lazy or incompetent to hold a job, unless it's a 'non-job' within the ranks of government, and certainly think any job in the service industry is well beneath them, however unfathomable that may seem given their level of 'competence'. Hence the reason several million expat workers from all over the world are there, to run everything from assembling your Big Mac to managing the national oil company.

Expat workers is, in fact, the sole reason why anyone flies to KSA outside of religious service. It's difficult getting a business visa to KSA and, besides, anyone unfortunate enough to work there will jump at the chance of getting out of dodge. I worked for several years in the GCC, and never once did we hold a meeting in KSA - mainly to allow our KSA based staff the chance of joining the meeting somewhere else.

PS
The 'real' police of KSA is mainly made up of Pakistani nationals. Same with fire and EMS services. Yes, even those tasks so vital to a functioning nationstate are unable to attract local 'talent'.

Wrong on all counts, but it's nice to peddle stereotypes without backing it up with facts.

flyfresno

Mon Dec 26, 2016 7:40 am

CanadaFair wrote:

Funny, this post was the first time "far" was mentioned before "east."

tanorini

Mon Dec 26, 2016 9:00 am

B777LRF wrote:
AngMoh wrote:
TurnerJet wrote:

PS

You can mock KSA all you want but atleast be factual, the Saudi police is all Saudis the Fire fighters and EMS are Saudis, it is countries like UAE that use Yemeni police officers and Bahrain has some police officers who are not Bahraini not sure what their nationality was. Even when it comes to the Saudi Airlines most of their pilots are Saudi and most of their flight attendants are Saudi men, the same is with Oman air, the population in of Saudis in KSA is not as low as the UAE or Bahrain.

tanorini

Mon Dec 26, 2016 10:21 am

Moving on to the main topic, people in KSA can still travel from DMM (Dammam) to BAH (Bahrain) using the bus CX provides then use the CX flight from bahrain to Hong kong via Dubai.

CanadaFair

Mon Dec 26, 2016 2:06 pm

flyfresno wrote:
CanadaFair wrote:

Have you never come accross the term Far East? there is even an airline in Taiwan called that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Far_East

flyfresno

Mon Dec 26, 2016 5:34 pm

CanadaFair wrote:
flyfresno wrote:
CanadaFair wrote:

Have you never come accross the term Far East? there is even an airline in Taiwan called that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Far_East

It was referencing that nobody mentioned the term "Far East" in this thread. Your direct quote from above "I hope it dosent end up with only Muslim airlines from east flying there." I added that India is East of SA (there are a couple Indian airlines flying to SA), and you decided that wasn't good enough for the discussion because India isn't in the "Far East," even though your post was the first time "Far East" was mentioned in this thread.

CanadaFair

Tue Dec 27, 2016 6:45 pm

Talk about making a mountain out of a molehill, did you see the airlines being discussed, they are from a specific region that India is not part of, SriLankan is not included in the discussion either nor Pakistani airlines no Bangladesh ones all of they serve Saudi as well, because they are all south Asian along with India, and FYI EASTERN Asia begins from Pakistan.

klwright69

Thu Dec 29, 2016 12:19 pm

I have seen the KE flight in JED many times, it doesn't seem to go out with a lot of people. Lots of Saudi's do have "real jobs" by the way.
HiJazzey is right about all of this, listen to him.
I personally believe EK, QR, and EY are responsible for a lot of this.
It seems the ME3 are cleaning up to a lot of points in Asia from the Middle East.

Rajahdhani

Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:46 pm

AngMoh wrote:
The question is why anyone from South East Asia would want to travel to these two places other than as a religious destination. Saudi Arabia is unattractive as a tourist destination and there are very few business links. Oil and Gas related business is normally managed from Europe or in some cases Dubai, and not from Asia.
So there is no high value tourism and there is no business demand, so there is no place for airlines like SQ and CX.

Firstly, let's look at some the presence of foreign workers in Saudi Arabia;

At as close to present, as verifiyable;
https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/sa.html

Population - 28,160,273 (July 2016 est.)
note: immigrants make up more than 30% of the total population, according to UN data (2015)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foreign_w ... udi_Arabia
Indian 1,300,000
Pakistan 900,000
Egyptian 900,000
Yemeni 800,000
Bangladeshi 400,000–1,000,000
Filipino 500,000-800,000
Sri Lankan 350,000–850,000
Jordanian/Palestinian 260,000
Indonesian 250,000–500,000
Sudanese 250,000–900,000
Syrian 2,100,000
Turkish 80,000
Westerners 100,000 (2007)

n.b. these numbers are not current (2004), however are some of the easiest available. Since then, there has been some changes to the Saudi Economy, and so I presented the 2nd link/article to demonstrate how that is currently changing.

Apart from the half-million 'domestic workers' (and the ensuing issues faced by that community based on their ability to be exploited upon easily), most of these foreign nationals benefit from working in (and earning in) an economy that has a higher standard of living, than their own nation. In the case of many Indian workers - the wages earned in Saudi Arabia are often significantly higher than even more skilled work, in India (in some cases). These foreign workers in turn send remittances (in most cases) back to the nation of origin (to support families, et al). Traffic associated with this segment may be lower-yielding, but not insignificant in sheer numbers demanding. Based on the numbers, above - all but the "Westerners", Indonesian, Sri-Lankan and Filipino communities could be served by LCCs with 737/A32X aircraft from the nations of origin. That would further increase the pressure on a carrier with higher costs - and so I can see the LCCs coming to dominate those markets as they gain greater prominence in the markets. The means of control, on the Saudi side of the equation (apart from restricting bi-laterals) would be to limit the amount of visas offered to visitors (via tightened criteria et al), or discourage the workers within the nation.

As the price of oil essentially collapsed, and is slowly building - the Saudi capacity to provide for itself, much less for the services paid to Saudis (which essentially capitalizes their high standard of living) diminished as well (though, not entirely, and not as severely as if they had no reserves, or as if their commodity was rendered useless - it's just a temporary slide in the market, and they are on the path to/already seeing some early gains of recovery). To marry two points - here's a modern conversion;

http://www.arabnews.com/node/973966/saudi-arabia
Ahmed Al-Amoudi, former vice president at the Council of Saudi Chambers (CSC), said some workers violate regulations, but the income tax and fees on remittances will allow for more control and ensure that remittances are commensurate with the income. This will be done by requiring all foreign workers to open bank accounts for salary deposits.

Dr. Sami Al-Abidi of the Taif Chamber of Commerce and Industry believes the move aims to regulate demand for laborers in the Kingdom, and eventually replace them with locals. "We hope there will be more Saudization. Matching jobs is the responsibility of all, not only the private sector and the Ministry of Labor and Social Development,” he said.

n.b. I had to highly edit down the quote fro Dr. Al-Abidi. He does a fantastic job of comprehensively explaining how the Saudis are attempting to grow Saudi employment/participation in the economy, and thus these foreign workers present a credible source of competition/threat to those jobs.

I'll greatly thank JuliusWong, for introducing me to the Blue Diamond Affair! What a read, but specifically to demonstrate market potential of said remittences;
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Diamond_Affair
The number of Thais working in Saudi Arabia fell from 150,000-200,000 in 1989 to just 10,000 in 2008. The cost to Thailand was about 200 billion baht in remittances, as fewer Thai workers were permitted to work in Saudi Arabia

So, in discussing this/these markets - the only ones that are not in the range of the LCCs, would be Saudi Arabia-Phillipines, Saudi Arabia-Indonesia, Saudi Arabia-'Westerner'stan, Saudi Arabia-Sri Lanka. On those markets the needs for the long-haul equipment favored the use of wide-bodies. In most cases, the emergence of the ME3, and their wide-body use, frequency of service, and ability to operate at a lower cost than either the local carriers, or Saudia - made them favorites. I can see how that would then increase the pressures on carriers like CX and SQ - who are aptly matched by the ME3 and their advantageous hub locations. I can see CX and SQ (especially in the face of limited resources) allocating them to higher-yeilding and less competitive markets - up to and including complete retraction from some markets. What is interesting is that, increasingly - the LCCs in the area (and LCCs in the region) are now spearheading the next revolution in the industry. I can see that if CX has assumed that their higher costing platform does not perform as expected, a lower costing might (a la Cathay Dragon), and if they had an LCC brand available it would be better suited yet. SQ can, via Scott, offer either market proliferation (using both SQ and Scoot), or shift completely. What is interesting, is to see how the local LCCs and regional LCCs compete especially as they expand...

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos