Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

neutrino

Re: Carrie Fisher suffers cardiac arrest on LHR-LAX

Tue Dec 27, 2016 6:33 pm

Star Wars actor Carrie Fisher dies at 60
Posted 27 Dec 2016 06:20pm Updated 27 Dec 2016 06:25 (GMT)

NEW YORK: Carrie Fisher, who rose to fame as Princess Leia in the "Star Wars" films and later endured drug addiction and stormy romances with show business heavyweights, died on Tuesday, People magazine reported, citing the family's publicist.

“It is with a very deep sadness that Billie Lourd confirms that her beloved mother Carrie Fisher passed away at 8:55 this morning,” the statement from family spokesman Simon Halls read. Fisher was 60 years old.

(Reporting by Daniel Wallis; Editing by Toni Reinhold)

- Reuters

RIP, Princess.. The Force will be with you, always.
Last edited by neutrino on Tue Dec 27, 2016 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Potestatem obscuri lateris nescitis

Revelation

Tue Dec 27, 2016 6:35 pm

:-( :-( :-(
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

Ronaldo747

Tue Dec 27, 2016 6:37 pm

Sad. May the force be with her, forever. Thoughts to her family and friends.

Thunderboltdrgn

Tue Dec 27, 2016 6:38 pm

enilria wrote:
She was unconscious for too long it seemed when I first heard this. So sad.

I'd say that the real issue was the Myocardial infarction itself.When an inaction happen, the heart muscle starts to die due lack of oxygen supply.
The longer this goes untreated, the more of the heart muscle will die.This in it's turn means that the heart looses more and more
of it's ability to function. Eventually too much of the heart muscle have died and the heart cannot function at all.

Even if a person is unconscious CPR can keep the blood circulation going. A young woman, who's blog I was reading, suffered a cardiac arrest
for 40 minutes but still survived without suffering any brain damage. She died a earlier this year though when her transplanted heart stopped working,

Disclaimer: I am not a doctor/trained medical professional (not am I going to be one) but I am currently studying anatomy at
college level and we've just talked about the blood circulation and heart related illnesses.
Like a thunderbolt of lightning the Dragon roars across the sky. Il Drago Ruggente

atcsundevil
Topic Author

Tue Dec 27, 2016 8:49 pm

Thunderboltdrgn wrote:
enilria wrote:
She was unconscious for too long it seemed when I first heard this. So sad.

I'd say that the real issue was the Myocardial infarction itself.When an inaction happen, the heart muscle starts to die due lack of oxygen supply.
The longer this goes untreated, the more of the heart muscle will die.This in it's turn means that the heart looses more and more
of it's ability to function. Eventually too much of the heart muscle have died and the heart cannot function at all.

Even if a person is unconscious CPR can keep the blood circulation going. A young woman, who's blog I was reading, suffered a cardiac arrest
for 40 minutes but still survived without suffering any brain damage. She died a earlier this year though when her transplanted heart stopped working,

Disclaimer: I am not a doctor/trained medical professional (not am I going to be one) but I am currently studying anatomy at
college level and we've just talked about the blood circulation and heart related illnesses.

You're exactly right. It isn't the amount of time she was down, it was likely the damage done to her heart when she suffered the MI after she had a return of spontaneous circulation. The cause of the MI very well could have come as a result of her having coded, but I would be highly skeptical if her death was a direct result of her having been down for only 15 minutes. ROSC after 15 minutes is actually pretty good, and well within the realm of survivability.

eksath
Crew

Tue Dec 27, 2016 11:08 pm

enilria wrote:
TMZ says EMTs worked for 15 minutes to get a pulse on arrival. If true, that is pretty bad news.

Correct. Some other questions are how long was she ailing on the plane and if she had a pulse during it.

Has there been any transcript of the ATC to aircraft communication published ,yet? Am curious if the aircraft got any priority.

R.I.P Carrie Fisher. She was too young to go. :-(
World Wide Aerospace Photography

a36001

Wed Dec 28, 2016 4:41 am

Very sad for all concerned. She was too young to go! Hope she did not suffer any pain and knew all those around her were fighting the best they could for her survival.

A couple questions relating to the days events for the fellow passengers, crew and aircraft
1) Was the actress suffering any illness before the flight?
2) Are the crew given a debrief that would differ to a normal post flight debrief? (if they have one at all)
3) I would imagine all passengers would have been asked to delay de boarding until the ill passenger was stabilized and taken to the hospital?
4) Does the aircraft involved get released straight away for its next flight or does it form part of an investigation by authorities and is unable to leave on its next assigned service?
5) How far from LA was the flight when it happened? It seems not far.

Again, my thoughts are with her family

wjcandee

Wed Dec 28, 2016 5:06 am

eksath wrote:

Has there been any transcript of the ATC to aircraft communication published ,yet? Am curious if the aircraft got any priority.

http://www.liveatc.net/recordings.php Look at the one at 22:54. They got priority.

The initial communication doesn't seem to be recorded on liveatc, as it probably was with the Center. Although maybe folks haven't looked hard enough. Apparently, the incident happened about 15 minutes before landing. By the time the recorded discussion took place, the aircraft had already notified the company to call for and coordinate the paramedics at the gate. The aircraft, according to the pilot, was about 5 minutes from landing. ("Sitting 'em down in 2 minutes, on the deck in 5.") TMZ has the paramedic dispatch, which is pro forma. Nothing interesting.

777PHX

Wed Dec 28, 2016 6:13 am

a36001 wrote:
Very sad for all concerned. She was too young to go! Hope she did not suffer any pain and knew all those around her were fighting the best they could for her survival.

A couple questions relating to the days events for the fellow passengers, crew and aircraft
1) Was the actress suffering any illness before the flight?

She suffered from mental illness and abused drugs for quite a long period of time. This outcome shouldn't be much of a surprise.

benbeny

Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:57 am

May the force be with her. RIP.

Revelation

Wed Dec 28, 2016 2:30 pm

777PHX wrote:
She suffered from mental illness and abused drugs for quite a long period of time. This outcome shouldn't be much of a surprise.

Talking about a "blame the victim" response, sigh. There's lots of people a lot younger than her who've died from heart disease regardless of mental illness or drug/alcohol abuse. You have no evidence that those circumstances contributed to her demise. We do know is her acting performances made many people happy, and she is leaving behind a lot of people sad to see her pass, including her mother and her children. It's a shame she had mental illness and abused drugs/alcohol, but she's far from the only person to ever have these issues, and to a large degree her work shows she overcame these issues.

fsx98

Wed Dec 28, 2016 2:36 pm

First went George Michael (WHAM!), and now Carrie Fisher (Star Wars), a big blow to the 2016 holiday season before New Years; so many famous people like these two passing in 2016. So fed up with 2016 and 2016 must be gone right now. May the force be with her, resting in peace.

Personal note: This is my first forum post because I have watched a few Star Wars movies myself and that I have a close friend who is named after the namesake character (Princess Leia). The news of the passing of Carrie Fisher had sorely touched me as well as all of Carrie Fisher, Princess Leia, and Star War fans around the world.
Last edited by fsx98 on Wed Dec 28, 2016 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Revelation

Wed Dec 28, 2016 2:50 pm

fsx98 wrote:
First went George Michael (WHAM!), and now Carrie Fisher (Star Wars), a big blow to the 2016 holiday season before New Years; so many famous people like these two passing in 2016. So fed up with 2016 and 2016 must be gone right now. May the force be with her, resting in peace.

David Bowie. Glenn Frey. Keith Emerson. Paul Kanter. Merle Haggard. Prince. Leonard Cohen. Leon Russell. Greg Lake. George Michael.

The grim reaper has been doing overtime this year.

neutrino

Wed Dec 28, 2016 4:08 pm

Another SW stalwart is Kenny Baker aka R2-D2. Too many more artistes to list out, with the oldest being Zsa Zsa Gabor at 99.
In other areas, the standout in sports is Muhammad Ali. Then there's the oldest astronaut John Glenn.. For heads of states there's Shimon Peres and Fidel Castro though their passing were not universally grieved in their countries. However, the demise of Thailand's King Bhumibol Adulyadej witnessed a nation-wide outpouring of extreme grief.

For a very comprehensive but mot exhaustive list, here goes:
http://fiftiesweb.com/dead/dead-people-2016/
Potestatem obscuri lateris nescitis

KarelXWB

Wed Dec 28, 2016 6:58 pm

Revelation wrote:
David Bowie. Glenn Frey. Keith Emerson. Paul Kanter. Merle Haggard. Prince. Leonard Cohen. Leon Russell. Greg Lake. George Michael.

Yes 2016 was a sad year.

R.I.P.

What we leave behind is not as important as how we've lived.

CONTACREW

Thu Dec 29, 2016 2:05 am

Its now being reported her Mom actress Debbie Reynolds has also sadly passed away 1 day after her daughter

RIP.
Flight Attendants prepare doors for departure, cross check verify straps standby for all call

eksath
Crew

Thu Dec 29, 2016 3:14 am

wjcandee wrote:
eksath wrote:

http://www.liveatc.net/recordings.php Look at the one at 22:54. They got priority.

The initial communication doesn't seem to be recorded on liveatc, as it probably was with the Center. Although maybe folks haven't looked hard enough. Apparently, the incident happened about 15 minutes before landing. By the time the recorded discussion took place, the aircraft had already notified the company to call for and coordinate the paramedics at the gate. The aircraft, according to the pilot, was about 5 minutes from landing. ("Sitting 'em down in 2 minutes, on the deck in 5.") TMZ has the paramedic dispatch, which is pro forma. Nothing interesting.

Thank you. That clears up the question quite well.
World Wide Aerospace Photography

fsx98

Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:05 am

CONTACREW wrote:
Its now being reported her Mom actress Debbie Reynolds has also sadly passed away 1 day after her daughter

RIP.

This is yet another blow to the 2016 holiday season, especially 2016 itself. Did I mention that 2016, in my personal terms, is personally my worst year yet? I'm not in liberty to go into detail on that but 2016 must end soon! RIP Carrie & Debbie. May the force be with them.

georgiabill

Thu Dec 29, 2016 3:27 pm

May the force be with you Princess Leia and your mother. Condolences to family and friends for your loses.

Sooner787

Thu Dec 29, 2016 3:34 pm

Best summary I can come up with for 2016;

"...it was the best of times, it was the worst of times.."

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos