Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

AtlasRise
Topic Author

Pacific hub

Sat Dec 24, 2016 4:01 pm

Pardon me if this topic has been mentioned before.
A quick search in US DOT data shows that the number of pax traveling between the US and Australasia has increased over 33% in the last decade. Keep in mind, this does not even capture traffic from Canada. With all of this growth and more to come, are nonstops such as SYDDFW, MELSFO, BNELAX the most efficient way? Could there be an opportunity a carrier such as FJ to grow their fleet and open up a mega hub in NAN to efficiently feed traffic from North America to MEL/SYD/BNE/PER/ADL/CNS/OOL/AKL/CHC and perhaps other smaller markets such as CBR/ZQN/WLG? It could also create competitive opportunities for travelers going to/from Southeast Asia (e.g. SIN and KUL). In addition, it could also be an option for trafffic to/from East Asia as well.

Of course, when placing a hub it is important to have a large base O&D demand and not depend only on connecting traffic since the yields are generally lower. Would there be other opportunities with this concept of a Pacific connecting hub such as APW or HNL? Or has the lack of a large O&D base been the reason a Pacific connecting hub never materialised?

If this concept is worth looking at, the other hurdle is the cost to expand NAN or APW to have enough space and infrastructure to become a connecting hub. HNL could probably already handle it.

MaxTrimm

Re: Pacific hub

Sat Dec 24, 2016 4:36 pm

HNL already fits this criteria. Multiple nonstops to a slew of destinations in North America, as well as a couple destinations in Australia/NZ, a few in the Pacific Islands, and a whole bunch in Asia, especially Japan. I don't see the need for a new hub.

AtlasRise
Topic Author

Sat Dec 24, 2016 5:09 pm

You are correct in that HNL serves N.A. well and I agree that there is no "need" for a pacific hub. However, HNL does not serve smaller markets such as CBR & ZQN and my question was is it worth looking at. Not just to simply start a CBRHNL nonstop, but to build HNL (or APW or NAN) into a larger connecting hub. I don't think would ever happen due to the lack of O&D base and yields are too low. Just wondering if all the P2P routes are the most efficient way to go.

PatrickZ80

Sat Dec 24, 2016 5:11 pm

I think Fiji is too close to Australia and too far from America to be a good hub. A good hub should be more halfway, with a more or less equal distance each way. Then Hawaii comes closest, and it has the O/D traffic too. Kiribati might be another option, but it's a rather small airport with a reasonably short runway. Not long enough for heavies to America or Australia.

westgate

Sat Dec 24, 2016 5:47 pm

HNL, or any other Pacific hub for that matter, might not really work that well for North American to Australasia traffic as although there are a few direct flights from the East Coast of the US/Canada to HNL, there aren't nearly as many as to LAX or SFO. So you either have a situation as current, where pax flying from LAX, SFO, DFW and YVR have non-stop flights to Oz/NZ and everyone else has a single connection, or what you're proposing where pax from LAX and SFO have to connect in HNL, and a lot of other pax would have to make a double connect i.e. PHL-LAX-HNL-SYD. The whole point of the DFW service is so almost everyone in the US can get to Oz with only a single connection, even from some of the very small east cost markets.

Air Tahiti Nui did in fact have non-stop flights from Tahiti to New York a few years back where they were pushing connections onto Australia, so they were attempting a bit of a South Pacific mini-hub, but it didn't work too well and JFK was dropped soon after.

ahj2000

Sun Dec 25, 2016 1:12 am

I'd say Honolulu is already thus. Make a google search for SYD/BNE/AKL to the US and Hawaiian will show up. However, I'm not sure abvout the smaller flights (they have VA for domestic cnnx) as they are still a good bit away from Oz o NZ. Perhaps in the far future, but besides maybe adding a few more a week to ther current destinations, HA doesn't have much to work off except ADL and MEL (which I'd say is important)
-Andrés Juánez

zkncj

Sun Dec 25, 2016 1:46 am

NZ has pretty much already established an Pacific Hub in AKL, with onwards connections to Australia.

YVR,SFO,LAX,IAH,HNL-AKL
AKL-CNS,MCY,BNE,OOL,SYD,MEL,ADL,PER
Also to the Pacific Islands AKL-NOU,NAN,TBU,APW,RAR,PPT,VLI

NZ provides the most frequent connections within the Pacific, with most major Islands getting 1-2 daily services to AKL with some being 777 services.

smi0006

Tue Dec 27, 2016 12:50 am

zkncj wrote:
NZ has pretty much already established an Pacific Hub in AKL, with onwards connections to Australia.

YVR,SFO,LAX,IAH,HNL-AKL

NZ provides the most frequent connections within the Pacific, with most major Islands getting 1-2 daily services to AKL with some being 777 services.

I agree AKL and NZ have the best hub possible. How do their hub banks line up? Does PER and ADL connect to IAH,SFO,YVR and EZE? Be good to see small feed added from AU- NTL, CBR, ADL daily. ORD could be another good route from them, I'm no expert but I feel they are at a brink- grow to a true hub, or risk being uncompetitive with more non-stops being added into the AU market. I think for NZ and AKL to remain relevant as a hub NZ need to increase frequency daily 789s to YVR, SFO and build IAH,EZE to daily. Shouldn't be too hard with their new 789 config

AKL is also well placed for Asia to South American. NZ just struggle with good slits for effective connections.

HNL isn't attractive as clearing bags and customs at the first point is an epic drainer! Why not simply go on-stop? At least in on direction!

c933103

Tue Dec 27, 2016 8:44 am

AtlasRise wrote:
You are correct in that HNL serves N.A. well and I agree that there is no "need" for a pacific hub. However, HNL does not serve smaller markets such as CBR & ZQN and my question was is it worth looking at. Not just to simply start a CBRHNL nonstop, but to build HNL (or APW or NAN) into a larger connecting hub. I don't think would ever happen due to the lack of O&D base and yields are too low. Just wondering if all the P2P routes are the most efficient way to go.

HNL is already on pacific and serve as a hub for islands ranging fron Guam to Papeete.
For AU/NZ, maybe SYD/AKL are already good enough?

smi0006 wrote:
zkncj wrote:

YVR,SFO,LAX,IAH,HNL-AKL

I agree AKL and NZ have the best hub possible. How do their hub banks line up? Does PER and ADL connect to IAH,SFO,YVR and EZE? Be good to see small feed added from AU- NTL, CBR, ADL daily. ORD could be another good route from them, I'm no expert but I feel they are at a brink- grow to a true hub, or risk being uncompetitive with more non-stops being added into the AU market. I think for NZ and AKL to remain relevant as a hub NZ need to increase frequency daily 789s to YVR, SFO and build IAH,EZE to daily. Shouldn't be too hard with their new 789 config

AKL is also well placed for Asia to South American. NZ just struggle with good slits for effective connections.

HNL isn't attractive as clearing bags and customs at the first point is an epic drainer! Why not simply go on-stop? At least in on direction!

For Asia - South America market, let say from Singapore to EZE, connecting via AKL is only 700km, 3% longer than via AUH in term of total GC diatance, and to other Asian cities like Bangkok or other South American cities like GIG/GRU then middle east would offer shorter total gc distance. South Africa seems to be better for connection between South Asia and South America?
It's pointless to attempt winning internet debate. 求同存異. よく見て・よく聞いて・よく考える
A placeholder line
You are now at your youngest moment in your remaining life.

tayser

Tue Dec 27, 2016 1:59 pm

Yeah/nah/yeah.

With MEL getting more and more direct/non-stop connections (most recent to be announced was SCL-MEL with Latam, the high likelihood that there will be a QF MEL-DFW in the next few years and the outside chance there'll be a MEL-YVR at some point in the next 5-10 years), the point of 'hubbing' flights at some point in the Pacific takes a hit.

Sure, there are many more worthy ports in Australia, but with SYD holding its own - like it always has - and increasingly MEL moving into the same position, there goes half your O&D market on direct/non-stop flights.

NZ advertise its connections through Auckland like mad in local Melbourne media (I assume it's the same in other AU cities) but even they'll be stretching things when new non-stops start flying to MEL. Hawaiian don't have a HNL-MEL as yet.

A dedicated hub at some dot in the Pacific ocean is an interesting idea, but with 787s and 350s becoming the norm (and the right carriers buying them), I think the idea's a little past its use by date IMO

qf002

Tue Dec 27, 2016 3:47 pm

The single biggest issue is the distances involved. You would be forced to use widebodies which are all far too big for most of the markets that you would need to reach to create a network large enough to make the whole operation viable.

Really the most logical location for such a hub would be within narrowbody range of the entire US/Canada with traffic coming in from Australia/NZ on very large aircraft like A380s...like um...LAX or SFO maybe?

zkncj

Tue Dec 27, 2016 6:32 pm

smi0006 wrote:

All of NZ's North American flights arrive into AKL between 0500-0730, then depart again from 1830-2000. Which enables seamless connections from most Australian Airport.

PER-AKL only connects 3x weekly, but AKL-PER works Daily.

AKL-ADL is currently operating an Daily Service.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos