Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

SCQ83
Topic Author

Which carriers do not fly on Christmas day?

Sun Dec 25, 2016 2:29 pm

Ryanair is well known because they don't have flights in Christmas day.

But is there any other carrier that does this? It seems Wizzair also is not flying today?

Also (such as El-Al on Sabbath) are there any other carriers that do not fly in any particular day during the year because of some holiday or religious festivity?

davies2911

Re: Which carriers do not fly on Christmas day?

Sun Dec 25, 2016 2:42 pm

Jet2 don't fly on Christmas Day or on Boxing Day as well.

n272wa

Sun Dec 25, 2016 2:50 pm

Aer Lingus don't fly Christmas Day.

MON

Sun Dec 25, 2016 2:53 pm

It's beyond me to why anyway sane who celebrates Christmas would want to go on anything but the shortest flight on Christmas Day or have an early arrival.

LeCoqFrancais

Sun Dec 25, 2016 2:56 pm

MON wrote:
It's beyond me to why anyway sane who celebrates Christmas would want to go on anything but the shortest flight on Christmas Day or have an early arrival.

We who celebrate Christmas are a minority in the world, so its totally logical for airlines and companies to offer service (maybe limited) on the 25th of December (or January 7th for some).
Sébastien C. Tourillon

flyingturtle

Sun Dec 25, 2016 3:09 pm

I was once on a train HAM-BSL on New Year's Eve. Could see the fireworks just south of Mannheim. I felt I was the only person on the train. Very relaxing...

David
Reading accident reports is what calms me down

peterj324

Sun Dec 25, 2016 3:14 pm

From the looks of it, the only flights out of DUB as a whole are 1 Cityjet and 1 BA flight to LCY tonight. Thats it according to FR24.

American airports are on a mostly normal schedule. From my experiences and hearing from others, Christmas day flights tend to be very full.

Danfearn77

Sun Dec 25, 2016 3:16 pm

I understand the more scheduled airlines operating. But charter/holiday airlines flying holiday makers to, say, Tenerife or Palma for example, can that not wait for a day. Or the day before.
Eagles may soar high, but weasels dont get sucked into jet engines!

Cubsrule

Sun Dec 25, 2016 3:22 pm

WW isn't flying, and they desperately needed the day off.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

trex8

Sun Dec 25, 2016 3:52 pm

Santa Claus Airlines stops at 2400 UTC Dec 24th.

BartSimpson

Sun Dec 25, 2016 4:02 pm

flyingturtle wrote:
I was once on a train HAM-BSL on New Year's Eve. Could see the fireworks just south of Mannheim. I felt I was the only person on the train. Very relaxing...

I was once on a flight from LHR to CPT on New Year's Eve. I thought that
a) the plane was empty
b) the ticket was quite cheap
c) there was some extra gmmick on the flight.

The reality was that
a) the plane was filled to the last seat
b) the ticket was as expensive as any other ticket I bought on the Europe - South Africa run
c) there was nothing, not even a glass of sparkling wine for dinner.

flyiguy

Sun Dec 25, 2016 4:17 pm

FedEx & UPS I don't believe fly on Christmas
The opinions I post are of mine and mine alone, not of the airline I work for.

shamrock350

Sun Dec 25, 2016 4:24 pm

Dublin Airport tweeted pictures from the terminals today, completely empty, like a ghost town with barely any staff and zero passengers.

Interestingly they also tweeted pictures of the traditional blessing of aircraft by a priest out on the ramp, Aer Lingus A320s and A330s along with a Ryanair 737 were seen getting the holy water!

ahj2000

Sun Dec 25, 2016 4:26 pm

I've flwn on domestic US flights a bit on Christmas (mostly US Airways) and from my experience, morning flights are dead empty (I flew an A321 that couldn't have had more than 40or50 people on it), while late afternoon/evening flights are full.
-Andrés Juánez

iRISH251

Sun Dec 25, 2016 4:31 pm

peterj324 wrote:
From the looks of it, the only flights out of DUB as a whole are 1 Cityjet and 1 BA flight to LCY tonight. Thats it according to FR24.

That's not correct. First passenger arrival is EI104 at 0500 on the 26th and the first departure is AF1017 to Paris at 0600.

AirbusOnly

Sun Dec 25, 2016 4:36 pm

Both Icelandic Airlines - WOW Air and Icelandair - are not flying today. That is the "reset" day WOW was needing so bad!!
Also Air Greenland let its birds freeze in on the ice today... ;-)
Last edited by AirbusOnly on Sun Dec 25, 2016 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CplKlinger

Sun Dec 25, 2016 4:36 pm

flyiguy wrote:

UPS has a few birds in the air at least.

piedmontf284000

Sun Dec 25, 2016 4:38 pm

LeCoqFrancais wrote:
MON wrote:

We who celebrate Christmas are a minority in the world, so its totally logical for airlines and companies to offer service (maybe limited) on the 25th of December (or January 7th for some).

Christmas is a public holiday in almost every country in the world except Afghanistan, Algeria, Bhutan, North Korea, Libya, Mauritania, Sahrawi Arab Democratic Republic, Saudi Arabia, Somalia, Tajikistan, Tunisia, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan,Yemen and North Sentinel which do not recognize Christmas as a public holiday.

Azerbaijan, Bahrain, Cambodia, China, Comoros, Iran, Israel, Japan, Kuwait, Laos, Maldives, Mongolia, Morocco, Oman, Pakistan, Qatar, Thailand, Turkey, the United Arab Emirates, and Vietnam do not recognize Christmas as a public holiday, but the holiday is given observance.

More than half the world designate Christmas as a public holiday while almost 90 percent of the world observe the actual day.

blueflyer

Sun Dec 25, 2016 4:39 pm

flyiguy wrote:

With their global network and most of the world not celebrating Christmas, it's not quite accurate.

UPS Air has a very reduced schedule in North America and Europe today, however, it has everything to do with UPS, and many other businesses, being closed Monday in observance. UPS will not pick up or deliver Monday and their air operations are a result of this closure. If Christmas had fallen on any business day other than Friday, UPS Air would still have operated a reduced schedule, but it would have been closer to a typical Sunday schedule to support next business day deliveries.

VSMUT

Sun Dec 25, 2016 4:43 pm

MON wrote:

In my country we celebrate christmas on the 24th in the evening, so the 25th is relatively open for travel arrangements. It's a slightly popular day to begin charter holidays too.

Not everybody has the option either. Many of my pilot friends had to travel today in order to position themselves up to flights tomorrow.

usxguy

Sun Dec 25, 2016 5:36 pm

Mokulele (Mainland ops - except 1 flt), JetSuite, and Contour doesn't seem to have flights today. I think some other EAS-type carriers also take today off.
xx

trex8

Sun Dec 25, 2016 5:40 pm

I've flown ORD-LHR on UA at least half a dozen times xmas eve or xmas day in the last decade, and often coming back new years eve or new years day. Its never completely full or very empty but can be quite variable. Its always easy getting UA miles seats though.

SCQ83
Topic Author

Sun Dec 25, 2016 5:42 pm

Danfearn77 wrote:
I understand the more scheduled airlines operating. But charter/holiday airlines flying holiday makers to, say, Tenerife or Palma for example, can that not wait for a day. Or the day before.

I flew on Wednesday to Fuerteventura from Germany and the plane was packed with families (parents + kids).

Bear in mind that few people have second homes in those secondary islands in Canarias (at least compared to Palma, Alicante or Málaga) so probably most of them were just taking a 1-week Christmas holiday away from grandparents, cousins, etc and so. So for that people X-Mas was just a way to get away from social conventions (and certainly being at the beach in FUE helps you "forget" about Santa Claus and white X-Mas).

I was quite surprised. Funny enough, even of the FAs asked me whether I was from Fuerteventura and was heading home for X-Mas, since she found odd to see a Spaniard in that flight. I then told her that I was indeed surprising about so many tourists heading for X-Mas to the Canary Islands and she said all flights 'south' were full and it was indeed the return flights that were half empty.

I just think more and more people could not care less about Christmas and taking a beach or exotic holiday is just a way to forget about it.

Fiend

Sun Dec 25, 2016 5:59 pm

LeCoqFrancais wrote:

Not everybody celebrates Xmas... I don't, I hate it.... I'm quite happy to work during the holiday period especially as I get triple time for it!!! This year it works out that I get paid an extra 60 hours for working Xmas Day, Boxing day and New Years Day and I'm just working my normal rostered shifts.... and it's paying for flights for me and the wife to fly MAN-BKK in May....
BAC 1-11, A300, A320, A321, A330, A340, A350, A380, B737, B747, B757, B777, B787, L1011, Fokker 100, ATR 72, MD83

bayside319

Sun Dec 25, 2016 6:46 pm

BartSimpson wrote:
flyingturtle wrote:

I was once on a flight from LHR to CPT on New Year's Eve. I thought that
a) the plane was empty
b) the ticket was quite cheap
c) there was some extra gmmick on the flight.

The reality was that
b) the ticket was as expensive as any other ticket I bought on the Europe - South Africa run

I'm booked ATL-AMS this NYE. Hoping I don't have the same reality

tonystan

Sun Dec 25, 2016 7:03 pm

The whole of Ireland is shut albeit to emergency diversions (SNN had an EL AL medical diversion today) so that helps make the decision for Aer Lingus and other Irish based operators. However Aer Lingus has changed in recent years to allow US eastbound departures on Christmas night meaning they lose one less day of transatlantic operations unlike the old days when the 23rd was the last day for US departures from Ireland. The aircraft now arrive on the 24th in the US and overnight.
My views are my own and do not reflect any other person or organisation.

flylku

Sun Dec 25, 2016 7:47 pm

I wonder how the airline would characterize Christmas day. I think to be consistent they would have to use GMT, midnight to midnight on the 25th. If not, then the shutdown could span more than 24 hours. If so, then they could still be technically flying on Christmas day in some parts of the world.
...are we there yet?

flyingturtle

Sun Dec 25, 2016 8:00 pm

BartSimpson wrote:
The reality was that

Oww... :ill:

David
Reading accident reports is what calms me down

slinky09

Sun Dec 25, 2016 8:05 pm

MON wrote:

Well lucky you, there are lots of people who have to work up to the 24th in retail for example and other trades too. My partner and I often visit the US from the UK for Christmas and the New Year and travel on the 24th, we can be with friends in Chicago say for a great Christmas dinner in plenty of time but can't travel before the 24th.

log0008

Sun Dec 25, 2016 10:28 pm

To add to the discussion, on who would fly on Christmas, its not overly uncommon for families to take advantage of cheaper flights (especially here in Australia as its our peak tourism season) and make it their Christmas gift to the family. Many whom do leave in the afternoon after lunch.

MON

Sun Dec 25, 2016 10:43 pm

Slinky, as a pilot, for the last twenty years I've regularly had to work up until late on Christmas Eve (or land in the early hours of Christmas Day) but honestly would not want to do a flight of any significance on Christmas Day and am surprised that anyone who celebrates Christmas is interested in doing so.

grbauc

Sun Dec 25, 2016 10:55 pm

MON wrote:

I have got insane deals by leaving on christmas day. So If your celebrating the holiday does that mean you can't head out half way through the day to a destination and not be sane? I see no reason that if your A religious christian that you can't travel.

zkncj

Sun Dec 25, 2016 11:03 pm

MON wrote:

In Australia and New Zealand flights tend to be packed on Christmas Day.

For example its not un-common to have an family breakfast in Auckland, then take an afternoon flight to Sydney for a family dinner.

Toulouse

Sun Dec 25, 2016 11:29 pm

LeCoqFrancais wrote:
My point was not about public holidays or countries observing Christmas, my point is that people who pratice a religion that does celebrate Celebrate are a minority on our planet so it is normal that if only a minority actually celebrate the holiday the rest of the population can still enjoy services like flights, restaurants, etc.

While I get what you're saying about everyone else (which is a lot of people) I doubt your use of the word minority. Christmas is a Christian celebration. Christianity is the biggest religion. It represents about 33% of the world population, so hardly minority...
Long live Aer Lingus!

jumbojet

Sun Dec 25, 2016 11:40 pm

for starters, not everyone celebrates Christmas so why stop flying? That is kind of discriminatory, no?
Last edited by jumbojet on Sun Dec 25, 2016 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Natflyer

Sun Dec 25, 2016 11:48 pm

jumbojet wrote:
not everyone celebrates Christmas #1 so why stop flying? That is kind of discriminatory, no?

No, for an airline it is a commercial decision based on demand on those days. In some parts of Europe demand is not there so it is a natural decision to avoid the cost of flying (mostly) empty airplanes.

PatrickZ80

Sun Dec 25, 2016 11:59 pm

[quote="VSMUT"]In my country we celebrate christmas on the 24th in the evening, so the 25th is relatively open for travel arrangements. It's a slightly popular day to begin charter holidays too.

That's known as Christmas Eve, the evening before Christmas. Some people have their Christmas dinner and presents that evening, others have it on Christmas Day. That's just what the local tradition is.

Then of course here in the Netherlands we're an exception to have two Christmas days. December 26th is known as Second Christmas day and it is an official holiday. Despite that many big shopping centers are opened on Second Christmas day, but small stores are closed and supermarkets got limited opening times. Most young couples spend First Christmas day with ones family and Second Christmas day with the others.

Flying on Christmas always makes me think of the Home Alone movies, specially Home Alone 2 where they both fly to different cities. Those planes were full, so flying on Christmas must be popular.

jumbojet

Mon Dec 26, 2016 12:08 am

Natflyer wrote:
jumbojet wrote:
not everyone celebrates Christmas #1 so why stop flying? That is kind of discriminatory, no?

No, for an airline it is a commercial decision based on demand on those days. In some parts of Europe demand is not there so it is a natural decision to avoid the cost of flying (mostly) empty airplanes.

and the decision is discriminatory in nature.

ben175

Mon Dec 26, 2016 12:52 am

I flew PER-SIN on SQ last year on Christmas day and the flight was full to the brim. We managed to have a family breakfast, a big lunch celebration and then leave for the airport and get on the 5:00pm service and be in Singapore just before it ticked over to the 26th.

JAmie2k9

Mon Dec 26, 2016 1:02 am

tonystan wrote:
The whole of Ireland is shut albeit to emergency diversions (SNN had an EL AL medical diversion today) so that helps make the decision for Aer Lingus and other Irish based operators. However Aer Lingus has changed in recent years to allow US eastbound departures on Christmas night meaning they lose one less day of transatlantic operations unlike the old days when the 23rd was the last day for US departures from Ireland. The aircraft now arrive on the 24th in the US and overnight.

Dublin is open as well as Shannon and could accept an emergency if required. Just no scheduled flights unless there is a spill over into early hours of the 25th from Christmas Eve.

JAmie2k9

Mon Dec 26, 2016 1:03 am

jumbojet wrote:
Natflyer wrote:
jumbojet wrote:

and the decision is discriminatory in nature.

PC Alert.......if you live in a country where there is x religion you either respect it or go back to you home country!

qf789

Mon Dec 26, 2016 1:59 am

Thread has become off topic and will be locked
Forum Moderator