Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

enilria
Topic Author

DY to Launch EDI-NYC (SWF?) in Summer 2017, No LGW-SWF?

Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:54 pm

Putting together earlier statements, it would appear he is talking about SWF. Interesting the comment that there would be no LGW service. Possible reaction to BA? Or slots? Or incentives? Or overlap with JFK? This probably means JFK remains alongside SWF.

Flights between Britain and the US for less than £60 are set to be introduced in the new year, the chief executive of low-cost carrier Norwegian Airways has said.

Budget airline Norwegian Airways is to launch a one way fare from Edinburgh to secondary airports in New York from the UK for just £56 from summer 2017.

Although, the airline has a UK base at Gatwick airport the new low-cost flights will only be available from Edinburgh.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/busin ... 00451.html

adamh8297

Re: DY to Launch EDI-NYC (SWF?) in Summer 2017, No LGW-SWF?

Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:05 pm

enilria wrote:
Possible reaction to BA? Or slots? Or incentives? Or overlap with JFK? This probably means JFK remains alongside SWF.

From my understanding of the articles that have come out JFK/BOS will remain when other flights are started at SWF/PSM/PVD/BDL etc.

Its the D8 (NAI) business model - lowest landing fees possible and incentives probably are included somewhat but was SWF really dangling a carrot for an international carrier.

I'm not sure LGW will have any 737 MAX 8 TATL flights in the near future.
Airlines flown: A3, AA, AC, AF, AM, BA, B6, CA, CO, CX, DL, EA, EL, IB, LH, MI, MQ, NH, NW, NZ, OU, PE, QF, S4, SQ, TP, UA, US, VS, WE, WN

2019: CX BOS-HKG, WE HKG-HKT, CA HKT-PEK-EWR, B6 EWR-BOS

sevenair

Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:07 pm

Despite Brexit TATL links seem to be stronger than ever. An exciting future ahead for us all.

spinkid

Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:09 pm

I imagine they might stagger these announcements out to get the most publicity out of them. They might be announcing them as they are able to verify them on both ends. Lots more to come!

georgiabill

Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:13 pm

I wonder if when DY get's their 737 Max aircraft will they consider adding EDI-BOS ?

David_itl

Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:44 pm

Given that DY announced a 2nd daily LGW-JFK on 789s then it shouldn't come as a surprise that there's no "secondary" airport near New York for LGW, with just the UK & Irish regionals getting SWF. MAN will feature as there's been a few articles stating both EDI & MAN to get US links, with "Boston" being added in the form of Portsmouth Pease.

skipness1E

Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:51 am

Just as Ryanair and short haul loco stopped doing this "seconadary" airport stuff, Norwegian go for it on long haul. If my JFK-LGW is cancelled I have options, SWF-EDI not so much. Bad enough facing that in Germany or France but on a different continent just to save a few quid? This could be interesting.

oldannyboy

Fri Dec 30, 2016 8:55 am

sevenair wrote:
Despite Brexit TATL links seem to be stronger than ever. An exciting future ahead for us all.

Actually due to Brexit ties and connections between the UK and the US will probably have to deepen and broaden, at a cost of those with the rest of continental Europe. It is part of the logic (if there is any?) behind Brexit: favouring commercial/economic ties with other markets/economies/regions vis-à-vis the "imposed" unhappy marriage with the EU.

sevenair

Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:45 am

I've seen northing but more and more routes added to the EU, no signs of any slowdown of any links.

Trade, travel & tourism will still happen between the UK & EU. We will now have a more global outlook so it is likely that further links will grow. More Chinese links than ever before. The first ever non stop regularly flown passenger flight between Australia and England.

Exciting times..

SCQ83

Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:38 pm

skipness1E wrote:
Just as Ryanair and short haul loco stopped doing this "seconadary" airport stuff, Norwegian go for it on long haul. If my JFK-LGW is cancelled I have options, SWF-EDI not so much. Bad enough facing that in Germany or France but on a different continent just to save a few quid? This could be interesting.

Ryanair hasn't stopped flying to secondary airports. They keep CRL and BRU, GRO and BCN, etc

They just segment the market. I wouldn't be surprised though on a future LGW-SWF in addition to the JFK services, so they find a new niche not competing with anyone.

rutankrd

Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:52 pm

sevenair wrote:
I've seen northing but more and more routes added to the EU, no signs of any slowdown of any links.

Trade, travel & tourism will still happen between the UK & EU. We will now have a more global outlook so it is likely that further links will grow. More Chinese links than ever before. The first ever non stop regularly flown passenger flight between Australia and England.

Exciting times..

You know very well the UK remains a full and paid up EU member state with all existing treaties including the US-EU openskys and EU and Morocco and Israeli air treaties in force at this time and probably for the at least another three or four years.

As for China the UK has recently negotiated a revised bilateral with an increase in available slots and route allocations however so far the move has actually been rather negative with BA binning Chengdu and Hainan considering adding Dublin as a tag to the MAN-PEK route true going daily but with reduced seats on the MAN-PEK sector. Whilst Tianjin has had their applications denied !

As for the UK-Mediterranian routes we continue to see some redeployment from the longer Eastern sectors to the traditional Iberian destinations and a resurgence in Italy - a market much neglected by the UK travel industry for the last thirty years or so largely because the Italian Hotel trade priced themselves uncompetitively !

Beyond the four year EU exit programme we in the UK have no idea what air treaties will be in force or their effects !

Qantas Perth- LHR none stop is a publicity stunt imho.

Now getting back to this thread many talk about the sixty mile to Manhattan however if anything and in European experience these type of services generate far more new travellers.

The upper Hudson is a pretty interesting historic and indeed pretty place to visit, as is Edinburgh and surrounding Scotland.

There are also a number of University ties between those areas particularly in Medicine and Veterinary industries.

As a plane enthusiast like me landing behind a C17 might also have some interest.

Locally there are some rather pleasant upper Hudson river cruises to enjoy.

Again these services WILL generate new traffic opportunities.

DaveFly

Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:54 pm

I agree that SWF has great potential, and not necessarily as a NYC reliever airport. Although I lived in NYC for 30 years, I've spent the subsequent 30 years in the Hudson Valley. The pace of development is staggering; in fact, too much for me. Although its character remains rural, there is private and public development everywhere. Perhaps this is what Norwegian is aiming for. There is also great demand for travel to Europe, and while JFK/EWR offer far greater options, many people want to avoid the nightmares of traffic and the airport experience of JFK/EWR. Of course the public transport options at SWF are laughable; but with a car rental (and a bit of luck with traffic), you can be in NYC in a reasonable time. I drive into the city often for shows, concerts, symphony, automotive shows, etc. And if I avoid holidays and weekends, I can reach the city in one hour+ and even find free parking on the street. I think Norwegian's plan is a worthwhile pursuit, and I hope it's successful.
L1011,DC8,DC9,DC10,MD80/90
A300,A319,320,321,330,340,
CRJ,E135/45/190,
DH8,Avro85,DHBeaver,AstarHelo,F100,ATR42

PatrickZ80

Sat Dec 31, 2016 10:09 am

Here is another news article about it (in Dutch):

http://www.luchtvaartnieuws.nl/nieuws/categorie/2/airlines/enkeltje-schotland-vs-voor-65-euro

It says that they'll start an introductionary fare of 65 euros one way on the Edinburgh-Stewart route (they don't mention Stewart by it's name, but it's obvious what they mean). It also says they double their capacity on the Gatwick-New York JFK route. Fares on that route are usually between 150 and 200 euros one way, so the Edinburgh-Stewart route is going to be a lot cheaper.

David_itl wrote:
with just the UK & Irish regionals getting SWF.

Don't forget that Edinburgh is also a Ryanair base. It's easy to make a self-transfer there. First fly from anywhere in Europe to Edinburgh on Ryanair and then on to Stewart on Norwegian. The two of them might even set up a feeder agreement at Edinburgh just like they do at Gatwick.

jomur

Sat Dec 31, 2016 10:35 am

So Norwegian are going to lose money on each seat sold at £56 at the moment as APD is still £75 per adult plus all the other airport taxes. Or will this be postponed until the Scottish Government actually reduces APD. Or is it more likely only a few seats will ever be available at £56 just to grab the headlines..

If they are going to fly narrow body aircraft to the US then I won't be using them what ever the cost even though I live 50 miles from Edinburgh.

usflyer123

Sat Dec 31, 2016 10:36 am

If DY will offer shuttle services between SWF and Manhattan, it will boost the number of pax on the SWF routes.
for most people the sky is the limit. for those who love aviation, the sky is home...

Eindhoven

Sat Dec 31, 2016 2:05 pm

usflyer123 wrote:
If DY will offer shuttle services between SWF and Manhattan, it will boost the number of pax on the SWF routes.

They would be crazy not to. Here at EIN we have shuttle services to Amsterdam and it gets a lot of people to fly through EIN instead of AMS. Actually I'm surprised DY still prefers AMS over EIN.

by738

Sat Dec 31, 2016 2:14 pm

Is SWF really 60-90mins away from NYC?! Will they have efficient fully staffed international immigration and onward transport links?
Mmm, I remain unconvinced, £59 or not.
A proper primary BOS would have been better as a launch.
Hopefully EDI congestion/immigration can cope better for this expansion.
Wonder what the impact on Legacy carriers will be.
Presume it will just be summer seasonal?

303dk

Sat Dec 31, 2016 2:27 pm

by738 wrote:
Is SWF really 60-90mins away from NYC?! Will they have efficient fully staffed international immigration and onward transport links?

It's a nice little airport. In a zero traffic situation, you could be to Manhattan in an hour. Realistically, it's longer.

There's a shuttle to the Metro North station. It's something like a 90 minute train ride to Grand Central.

JA

Sat Dec 31, 2016 7:49 pm

There will be bus service directly to Midtown Manhattan for any international scheduled flights flying into SWF.

Ryanair01

Sat Dec 31, 2016 8:51 pm

by738 wrote:

It takes about an hour and a quarter to get from midtown to Stewart, there is a very good road. I guess the special Norwegian coach would take slightly longer, maybe 90 minutes. Stewart would work fine for European's heading for Manhattan who can take the dedicated coach, but it's less useful for origin passengers who won't want to go from home to Manhattan to Stewart. On the plus side Stewart is a much quicker, easier and less stressful airport terminal experience than any terminal at JFK or EWR.

by738

Sun Jan 01, 2017 12:12 am

What is there international immigration capacity/facilities?

303dk

Sun Jan 01, 2017 12:17 am

by738 wrote:
What is there international immigration capacity/facilities?

They already have the ability to process international arrivals. I believe the PANYNJ added it as part of their capital improvement plan when they took over.

jumbojet

Sun Jan 01, 2017 12:27 am

usflyer123 wrote:

Do you have any idea what traffic on the NY State Thruway looks like during rush hour? I do, my house overlooks the thruway, I can see the traffic at a standstill every night. They will have to have multiple busses leaving NYC 5 hours before the flight. This has failure written all over it.

toltommy

Sun Jan 01, 2017 4:52 am

jomur wrote:
So Norwegian are going to lose money on each seat sold at £56 at the moment as APD is still £75 per adult plus all the other airport taxes.

I think it's safe to say that the 56GBP fare does not include taxes, just as Ryanair's 1EUR fares don't include the taxes.
A300/A310/A319/A320/A321/A332/A333 / 707/712/727/732/733/734/735/738/739/752/753
/762/763/764/772/788/789/DC8/DC9-10/30/40/50/MD81/83/87/88/90/L1011-/250/500/CRJ200/440 /700/900/EMB135/140/145/170/175/190/328Jet/F70/SF3/BE1/J31

rutankrd

Sun Jan 01, 2017 9:48 am

toltommy wrote:
jomur wrote:
So Norwegian are going to lose money on each seat sold at £56 at the moment as APD is still £75 per adult plus all the other airport taxes.

I think it's safe to say that the 56GBP fare does not include taxes, just as Ryanair's 1EUR fares don't include the taxes.

In the UK the ASA (Advertising Standards Authority) state that all quoted prices in Print and Media shall include ALL TAXES and DUTIES and other NON OPTIONAL FEEs, so any prices quoted by Norwegian or Ryanair today shall be available (could be just one ticket per flight) to buy at that all in price.

Exceptions not relevant here is in B2B where VAT exclusive prices may be quoted provided a clear statement is made to that effect.
And that both parties are VAT registered the buyer may claim the VAT element back.
The concept is VAT is actually only paid on final retail prices.

LuxuryTravelled

Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:16 am

6 737MAX 8's will be dedicated to transatlantic operations later this year - from what I have heard definitely EDI, but also likely Ireland. No MAX's will be based at Gatwick - therefore no secondary market flying from there - apparently they can't get the slots. An announcement is due early February.

caaardiff

Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:46 am

It took me well over an hour for a cab ride from JFK to manhattan and vice versa when I went before. We arrived into taxi at JFK about 1500 on the way in and left manhattan about 1700 on the way back. Not sure what it normally would take outside of rush hour.. But if the timings are right on this flight to avoid traffic then there may not be much in it

finnishway

Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:56 am

Why don't they choose to fly to Islip airport?

reidar76

Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:19 am

rutankrd wrote:
toltommy wrote:
jomur wrote:

In the UK the ASA (Advertising Standards Authority) state that all quoted prices in Print and Media shall include ALL TAXES and DUTIES and other NON OPTIONAL FEEs, so any prices quoted by Norwegian or Ryanair today shall be available (could be just one ticket per flight) to buy at that all in price.

Norwegian sells one way tickets. It is quite common that one direction is cheap, while the opposite direction is more expensive. Sometimes the difference are do to taxes, other times it is just marketing.

UK taxes, like APD, is paid for passengers departing from a British airport, while US taxes is paid for passengers departing from an American airport.

Departing from JFK to LGW, all taxes and airport surcharges amount to: £24.80
It is highly likely at SWF is even cheaper than JFK.

Departing from LGW to JFK, all taxes and airport surcharges amount to: £108.50
EDI won't be much cheaper than LGW, as the APD at £75 is the same for both airports. Note that transfer/ connecting passengers are not subject to APD.

I think it's safe to say that the £56 fare includes all taxes, but will only be available departing from SWF.

PatrickZ80

Sun Jan 01, 2017 12:24 pm

finnishway wrote:
Why don't they choose to fly to Islip airport?

I guess that's mainly because of the runway length. Long Island MacArthur only has 2135 meters, Stewart has 3602 meters. That makes quite a difference. A 737 TATL from ISP would have to be weight limited, meaning that they can take fewer passengers along otherwise they can't make it off the ground before they run out of runway. Stewart doesn't have that problem.

JA

Sun Jan 01, 2017 1:54 pm

jumbojet wrote:
usflyer123 wrote:

Do you have any idea what traffic on the NY State Thruway looks like during rush hour? I do, my house overlooks the thruway, I can see the traffic at a standstill every night. They will have to have multiple busses leaving NYC 5 hours before the flight. This has failure written all over it.

Most people are leaving 4-5 hours before the flight anyway on an international flight. I don't think it will be a deal breaker for everyone.

Ryanair01

Sun Jan 01, 2017 2:39 pm

JA wrote:
jumbojet wrote:
usflyer123 wrote:

Most people are leaving 4-5 hours before the flight anyway on an international flight. I don't think it will be a deal breaker for everyone.

Assuming they land around the usual 1400 and depart early evening then rush hour traffic is totally irrelevant as they'll be operating well after the morning rush and leaving Manhattan before the evening. I'm not sure I get the point?

PatrickZ80

Sun Jan 01, 2017 2:45 pm

JA wrote:

I agree. Besides, you can also take the train from Hoboken to Salisbury Mills - Cornwall station which is very near Stewart Airport. Trains may be crowded, but they do run on time.

Channex757

Sun Jan 01, 2017 4:08 pm

toltommy wrote:
jomur wrote:

Here's the most important word on the poster or banner ad.

FROM

That £56 might apply to the first five seats sold on the aircraft. Perfectly legal, and advanced software on their website or ticketing system adjusts prices north the fuller the plane gets.

The first seats might go for £56 but those above 180 will be fetching legacy carrier type fares.

jumbojet

Sun Jan 01, 2017 5:40 pm

JA wrote:
jumbojet wrote:
usflyer123 wrote:

Most people leave 4-5 hours before a international flight? seriously? Then those bussing it up to SWF will be leaving their houses as much as 6 to 7 hours before the flight. Dont forget that they first have to make it to the Port Authority bus terminal or wherever the bus will leave from. So, as another poster above suggested a 1400 hour departure from SWF, you will basically have to leave your house at 6 t0 7 in the morning just to make it to the bus terminal to catch the two plus hour ride up to SWF. Also, with a 1400 hour departure, your arriving into your destination around midnight. Gee, no thanks. In the event of irrops, hotels can become a problem because there really just isn't a lot of them up there. If they are only flying into SWF a few times a week, in the event of an irrop, people will have to spend an additional 2 plus hours on a bus just to make it back down to NYC to catch a replacement flight in case DY cant get a plane into SWF. This has trouble written all over it. People will be sleeping in the terminal at SWF. This simply is a very bad idea and it wont work.

jumbojet

Sun Jan 01, 2017 5:56 pm

Choices for hotels near SWF...

Days Inn - very small property.
Residence Inn by Marriott. Possibly, but probably to expensive a property for DY
Super 8. More in line with a DY budget but again, very small property.
The Roundhouse (never heard of that)
4 points by Sheraton. Out of DY's league.

That's it and I will bet you they are normally filled close to capacity without there being the need to fill a planes worth of passengers. These hotels are only 1 to 2 floors. I would love to read what DY's contingency plan is in the event of irrops.

Does EDI close after a certain time?

JA

Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:08 pm

jumbojet wrote:
Most people leave 4-5 hours before a international flight? seriously? Then those bussing it up to SWF will be leaving their houses as much as 6 to 7 hours before the flight. Dont forget that they first have to make it to the Port Authority bus terminal or wherever the bus will leave from.

Most of these tourists will still stay at hotels in Midtown Manhattan. All of Midtown's hotels are within a 15 minute cab ride to the PABT.

jumbojet wrote:
So, as another poster above suggested a 1400 hour departure from SWF, you will basically have to leave your house at 6 t0 7 in the morning just to make it to the bus terminal to catch the two plus hour ride up to SWF.

The ride is 80-90 minutes long from PABT to SWF. A 915am departure from PABT arrives by 1045am. That is plenty of time for a 2pm flight.

jumbojet wrote:
Also, with a 1400 hour departure, your arriving into your destination around midnight. Gee, no thanks. In the event of irrops, hotels can become a problem because there really just isn't a lot of them up there. If they are only flying into SWF a few times a week, in the event of an irrop, people will have to spend an additional 2 plus hours on a bus just to make it back down to NYC to catch a replacement flight in case DY cant get a plane into SWF. This has trouble written all over it. People will be sleeping in the terminal at SWF. This simply is a very bad idea and it wont work.

I think this can work if done properly.

jumbojet

Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:45 pm

If people are staying in midtown hotels that cost hundreds of dollars a night, I seriously doubt those travelers will want to be on a bus for 2 plus hours just to save $100.00.

A 2 PM flight gets into EDI at midnight. I guess DY isn't interested in the business traveler or connecting passengers. Again, good luck.

Just not a good idea, if your planning a flight based on bus connections from NYC to Upstate NY, to many things can go wrong. The NY State thruway is just to unreliable traffic wise. Some days it takes only 90 minutes from NYC, other days it can take twice as long or more. The flight will be plagued with delays since I doubt they will leave with bus loads of people stranded on the thruway. I mean, unless they plan on once a day summer service, it just has disaster written all over it.

I wish them luck. They will need it.

How many commercial flights are there a day from SWF? I think its less than 10? There is a reason for that. SWF just doesn't work all that great as a domestic airport let alone a international one.

by738

Mon Jan 02, 2017 5:43 pm

jumbojet wrote:
Does EDI close after a certain time?

No it does not and is 24hr op
With all this expert and local knowledge at the US end, the usually vocal EDI enthusiasts are surprisingly quiet?

rutankrd

Mon Jan 02, 2017 5:49 pm

jumbojet wrote:
If people are staying in midtown hotels that cost hundreds of dollars a night, I seriously doubt those travelers will want to be on a bus for 2 plus hours just to save $100.00.

A 2 PM flight gets into EDI at midnight. I guess DY isn't interested in the business traveler or connecting passengers. Again, good luck.

Just not a good idea, if your planning a flight based on bus connections from NYC to Upstate NY, to many things can go wrong. The NY State thruway is just to unreliable traffic wise. Some days it takes only 90 minutes from NYC, other days it can take twice as long or more. The flight will be plagued with delays since I doubt they will leave with bus loads of people stranded on the thruway. I mean, unless they plan on once a day summer service, it just has disaster written all over it.

I wish them luck. They will need it.

How many commercial flights are there a day from SWF? I think its less than 10? There is a reason for that. SWF just doesn't work all that great as a domestic airport let alone a international one.

There is almost no chance that these flights will be day time East bound with a midnight arrival in Europe - Just give up on that idea.

I would hazard a guess that they would depart the States in the usual window for East bound departures and that's between 6 and 8 pm arriving in Edinburgh somewhere between 7 and 9 am the following morning .

Going West it will be probably be mid-morning out of Edinburgh with arrival in Stewart around 1 or 2 in the afternoon.

The business model of European Flexible fare carriers may be alien (The SW model modified to meet European Leisure markets in the main) however millions of Europeans seem satisfied with it and yes much of it is predicated around POINT TO POINT with a secondary City at either or indeed both ends.

Further Europeans are more adventurous in their travel decisions.

I suspect they may have an up hill struggle however they may yet surprise - There are plenty of potential customers in the Upper Hudson that may find it quite convenient, equally wouldn't expect to many customers from the Hamptons and even fewer from Montauk !

Scranton, to New Haven , Albany to Yonkers its a pretty easy drive with easy parking - Stewart- Europe why not ?

Unless you value the "bribes" offered by the various alliances of course to force you through the Hub snd Spoke system via points at each end you don't in fact want to go !

Jumbojet you have a very Metropolitan view of the world that affects dwellers of large cities and more particularly those so called Global Cities - London. New York, Tokyo and Paris where the residents seem blind to the needs/desires of other surrounding areas and neighbouring cities in the same country.
Last edited by rutankrd on Mon Jan 02, 2017 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Turnhouse1

Mon Jan 02, 2017 5:54 pm

I haven't seen anything to suggest Norwegian would do anything other than the standard morning departure from Edinburgh, arriving New York at about mid-day. Then a ~6pm departure from New York arriving Edinburgh 6-7am. Therefore passengers in both directions will be travelling between the airport and Manhattan in the afternoon, not during rush hour.

PatrickZ80

Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:34 pm

jumbojet wrote:

If I look at Booking.com I see a whole lot more hotels nearby than the ones that you listed. The Ramada hotel for example has 156 rooms available, so it can take up a whole lot of passengers if needed and is very affordable.

Eindhoven

Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:33 pm

reidar76 wrote:
EDI won't be much cheaper than LGW, as the APD at £75 is the same for both airports. Note that transfer/ connecting passengers are not subject to APD.

That is unfair! DY does not provide a feeder EIN-EDI flight. In fact no airline is flying this route (and no EIN-LGW too by the way). I can get to EDI on FR from NRN or U2 from AMS, but they're no registered feeder flights so I still end up paying the APD.

Is it possible to book OSL-EDI-SWF on DY and then skip the OSL-EDI leg? Just show up in EDI on my own? Would that be cheaper?

If anyone from DY is reading this, please add EDI-EIN to your network!

eurowings

Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:54 pm

Reading the above thread made me think of the infamous Frankfurt Hahn which has the poorest connection to the city it serves I've ever encountered in Europe, and I am pretty sure there is only one small hotel. Yet the ULCC flights now pull in millions each year, so if the price is right I guess...
"Freddie Laker may be at peace with his Maker, but he is persona non grata with IATA."- HRH Duke of Edinburgh

skipness1E

Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:38 pm

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frankfurt–Hahn_Airport

Using HHN as the analogy, they did ok in the loco bubble years but are continually loss making and losing business now. Remember Ryanair drove much of this but moving away from focussing only on secondary airports proved many were always untenable outside the bubble years.

hibtastic

Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:32 am

Norwegian are currently recruiting 30 pilots and 100 cabin crew for their new base at EDI. It is likely that EDI will have 2-3 based aircraft.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-s ... s-38498359

I am very excited to see how this will all work out for them. Their European services from EDI are extremely popular and it's clear that they will be targeting a very different type of clientele than the current legacy carriers. I'd guess that the majority will be new pax.

I wish them all the very best.

DaveFly

Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:33 pm

PatrickZ80 wrote:
jumbojet wrote:

If I look at Booking.com I see a whole lot more hotels nearby than the ones that you listed. The Ramada hotel for example has 156 rooms available, so it can take up a whole lot of passengers if needed and is very affordable.

And only 15-20 minutes to the south of SWF is Woodbury Commons. There are new hotels there as well, mainly for shoppers who actually make a holiday out of their sprees.

And the NYS Thruway is not the only highway near SWF. There is also Interstate 84, and State Routes 17 and 32.

I'm surprised by the naysayers. According to Norwegian, this has great potential. For the people who live or work in the Hudson Valley/Northern PA/Western CT area, this avoids not only traffic, but the very high cost of parking or town-car service to the Big Three airports.
L1011,DC8,DC9,DC10,MD80/90
A300,A319,320,321,330,340,
CRJ,E135/45/190,
DH8,Avro85,DHBeaver,AstarHelo,F100,ATR42

PatrickZ80

Wed Jan 04, 2017 5:08 pm

hibtastic wrote:
Norwegian are currently recruiting 30 pilots and 100 cabin crew for their new base at EDI. It is likely that EDI will have 2-3 based aircraft.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-s ... s-38498359

I am very excited to see how this will all work out for them. Their European services from EDI are extremely popular and it's clear that they will be targeting a very different type of clientele than the current legacy carriers. I'd guess that the majority will be new pax.

I wish them all the very best.

I'm curious to hear what their European destinations from Edinburgh will be. I hope somewhere nearby, otherwise it would still be useless for me.

dabpit

Wed Jan 04, 2017 5:18 pm

Since I can't post the actual image with the routes I recreated them using GCM (tried to get help from the airliners.net crew but they never respond)
These are route that Norwegian has expressed interest serving with the 737

Here is the link...
Carpe Diem

TC957

Wed Jan 04, 2017 5:22 pm

Turnhouse1 wrote:
I haven't seen anything to suggest Norwegian would do anything other than the standard morning departure from Edinburgh, arriving New York at about mid-day. Then a ~6pm departure from New York arriving Edinburgh 6-7am. Therefore passengers in both directions will be travelling between the airport and Manhattan in the afternoon, not during rush hour.

But the LCC business model isn't based on 5 - 6 hr turnaround times. I suspect it will be something like EDI - SWF 0745 - 1020, SWF - EDI 1115 - 2300.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos