Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Transtar
Topic Author

Question About 777 Landings....

Wed Aug 18, 1999 2:12 am

I noticed when I flew AF's 777 this summer, that when the plane landed, once the main landing gear made contact, the pilot seemed to have problems centering the aircraft (this was before nosewheel contact) on the runway.

I know that on the 777 triple wheel main landing gear, the last set of wheels can be turned with the gear steering controls to further the pilot's ability to taxi the runway. I was wondering if that could have contributed to the back and forth motion upon first contact with the ground.

I have never experienced that feeling when landing before, and we had different pilots on each flights.

Thanks for anybody's answers in advance.

ATL Traveller

RE: Question About 777 Landings....

Wed Aug 18, 1999 2:30 am

I took a Delta 777 ATL-MCO a couple of months ago and noticed the same thing. The passengers next to me made the assumtion that since the 777 is new to the Delta fleet that the pilots may still be getting used to the plane and landed a bit off center. Maybe this is common in the 777.

MAC_Veteran

Wed Aug 18, 1999 2:30 am

Weird! Very weird!

But not that uncommon, the C-5A and B model employed a system that in some ways is similar to the rear bogies being steerable and if there is a problem with alignment no doubt you could have some bumpyness on landing. I've got to try a 777 out and see if this trait bears out. I'll comment that the most graceful and smooth landings so far I've ever had have been on Airbus A340s flown by Singapore Airlines and Malaysia Airlines B747-400s, And I might add..Northwest 747-200s. Smooth as glass. (G)

Regards
MAC_Vet

The777Man

Wed Aug 18, 1999 5:58 am

Hi!!I've flown on 18 different 777 carriers and I haven't noticed anything you're talking about. I would say that a landing in 777 feels very solid, always landing on both landing gears rather than on one first. One doesn't seem to bounce either like on other planes sometimes, like 744. I think an accurate comparison would be landings in L-1011 which has a similiar feel.

kaitak

Wed Aug 18, 1999 6:10 am

I have flown 777s with three carriers, including twice on the 773 and it seems to be down to the conditions. As big an aircraft as the 777 is, it is still subject to crosswinds. One interesting point about 777 landings is that the large wing area does allow a low flare height (a Cathay crew told me that it can be a s low as 8', but you really don't want to try that). Flare at about 20-30 and pull back to about 3 or 4 degrees, watch the VSI bleed off and just let it float down . . .

Capt.Fantastic

Wed Aug 18, 1999 6:42 am

I'm not certain on the 777, but I know on other aircraft, the rudder will steer the aircraft on the runway as opposed to the landing gear at speeds above 80 knots or so. On the 747 for example, the body gear steering mechanism is armed below 80 knots after touchdown, and is disarmed just before take-off role. Anything above 80 knots, the rudder is used for correction.

I think the feeling of moving side-to-side was a sensation, not a reality. The aircraft is quite big, and it may have just been crosswinds or just the energy from the touchdown that made you feel as if the aircraft was swaying.

Hope this helps  

Jim

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos