Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
hoons90
Topic Author
Posts: 3778
Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2001 10:15 pm

Flights that depart in 2017 and arrive in 2016

Sat Dec 31, 2016 2:31 am

Are there any flights that will depart in the year 2017 but arrive in the year 2016?

All I can find so far is this one: https://flightaware.com/live/flight/UAL ... /PGUM/PHNL

If FJ822 operated on Sundays, then it would qualify as well, but alas it's only flown on Wednesdays.
Flown: 2L 7C 9E 9L AA AB AC AF AY AZ BA BR BX B6 CA CO CP CX DL EK EY JL KE KL LA LH LX MQ NW OZ PD RW SQ TG TP TR TS US WG WN WS XE XJ
 
tilerchin
Posts: 57
Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2016 3:32 am

Re: Flights that depart in 2017 and arrive in 2016

Sat Dec 31, 2016 2:36 am

CSN445/CZ445 ZSPD-KLAX, 12:05AM-7:30PM
 
belfordrocks
Posts: 75
Joined: Sat Nov 10, 2007 2:43 am

Re: Flights that depart in 2017 and arrive in 2016

Sat Dec 31, 2016 2:38 am

Anything from Auckland to Rarotonga
A340-500 Queen of the Skies
 
tilerchin
Posts: 57
Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2016 3:32 am

Re: Flights that depart in 2017 and arrive in 2016

Sat Dec 31, 2016 2:42 am

UA890 ZSPD-KSFO, 12:15AM-7:20PM

A couple of cargo flights from Shanghai to Anchorage too
 
redadeco
Posts: 116
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:13 am

Re: Flights that depart in 2017 and arrive in 2016

Sat Dec 31, 2016 2:53 am

tilerchin wrote:
UA890 ZSPD-KSFO, 12:15AM-7:20PM

A couple of cargo flights from Shanghai to Anchorage too


12:15AM departure means you won't get to see and take photos of fireworks in Shanghai.

HA898 gives slightly more time although passengers will most likely have to be airside when 2017 rolls in.
 
smi0006
Posts: 2593
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:45 am

Re: Flights that depart in 2017 and arrive in 2016

Sat Dec 31, 2016 3:08 am

Won't most AU/NZ flights heading across the dateline?

In the opposite direction people will leave and loose 2days
 
CBRboy
Posts: 182
Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2007 2:03 pm

Re: Flights that depart in 2017 and arrive in 2016

Sat Dec 31, 2016 3:34 am

smi0006 wrote:
Won't most AU/NZ flights heading across the dateline?

No, flights from Australia and New Zealand to the Americas arrive earlier the same day after departing late morning, afternoon or evening from AU/NZ. They would need to depart at an unsociable early hour from Australia (in most cities prevented by curfew) to arrive the day before, given the length of the flights.
 
mdavies06
Posts: 547
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:28 pm

Re: Flights that depart in 2017 and arrive in 2016

Sat Dec 31, 2016 5:17 am

A few CX flights that leaves HKG to Canada and USA tonight will. Look up the Hong Kong airport website for full listing.
 
CHCalfonzo
Posts: 120
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2007 8:56 am

Re: Flights that depart in 2017 and arrive in 2016

Sat Dec 31, 2016 5:20 am

CX880 HKG-LAX, CX872 HKG-SFO, CX888 HKG-YVR and no doubt a few CX freighter flights HKG-ANC that leave in the small hours on new years day.
 
cschleic
Posts: 1835
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2002 10:47 pm

Re: Flights that depart in 2017 and arrive in 2016

Sat Dec 31, 2016 7:21 am

And who says time travel isn't possible?
 
zkncj
Posts: 3988
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:57 pm

Re: Flights that depart in 2017 and arrive in 2016

Sat Dec 31, 2016 8:20 am

From AKL this year its only - NZ46 AKL/RAR.

There are plenty of USA-AKL flights that are arriving in AKL early tomorrow morning that will have skipped New Years.
 
zkncj
Posts: 3988
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:57 pm

Re: Flights that depart in 2017 and arrive in 2016

Sat Dec 31, 2016 8:21 am

CBRboy wrote:
smi0006 wrote:
Won't most AU/NZ flights heading across the dateline?

No, flights from Australia and New Zealand to the Americas arrive earlier the same day after departing late morning, afternoon or evening from AU/NZ. They would need to depart at an unsociable early hour from Australia (in most cities prevented by curfew) to arrive the day before, given the length of the flights.


Most New Zealand to USA flights depart between 4pm and 10pm, so arriving the same day they left.
 
b747400erf
Posts: 3172
Joined: Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:33 am

Re: Flights that depart in 2017 and arrive in 2016

Sat Dec 31, 2016 9:57 am

tilerchin wrote:
CSN445/CZ445 ZSPD-KLAX, 12:05AM-7:30PM

Pack yourself in a box otherwise you will not be able to get on that flight.
 
User avatar
angusjt
Posts: 251
Joined: Sat Apr 23, 2016 4:08 am

Re: Flights that depart in 2017 and arrive in 2016

Sat Dec 31, 2016 10:25 am

Tonight QF12 will skip the 31st meaning it will depart in 2016 (it already has) and arrive in 2017
 
ryan78
Posts: 369
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:29 am

Re: Flights that depart in 2017 and arrive in 2016

Sat Dec 31, 2016 10:51 am

The 35 min Twin Otter flights from Pago Pago, American Samoa, to Apia, Samoa, cross the date line. In fact, if one departed at the time of this post they would leave Pago Pago at 11:45pm on Dec 30th and arrive in Apia at 01:20am Jan 1st due to a +25 hour time difference between the two islands. Probably causes some massive scheduling headaches for Polynesian Airlines which operates numerous shuttle flights a day between APW/FGI & PPG. Looks like Polynesian Airlines has 10 departures out of Fagali (FGI) scheduled for Jan 1 but arrive in Pago Pago on Dec 31st! I've always been fascinated with the placement of the date line in that region!
 
User avatar
readytotaxi
Posts: 7621
Joined: Mon Dec 11, 2006 2:09 am

Re: Flights that depart in 2017 and arrive in 2016

Sat Dec 31, 2016 11:08 am

So, it's Back to the Future :old:
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!
Growing older, but not up.
 
usflyer123
Posts: 567
Joined: Thu May 26, 2016 6:21 pm

Re: Flights that depart in 2017 and arrive in 2016

Sat Dec 31, 2016 11:35 am

Thats so cool! seeing New Years celebration twice!
for most people the sky is the limit. for those who love aviation, the sky is home...
 
usflyer123
Posts: 567
Joined: Thu May 26, 2016 6:21 pm

Re: Flights that depart in 2017 and arrive in 2016

Sat Dec 31, 2016 12:34 pm

angusjt wrote:
Tonight QF12 will skip the 31st meaning it will depart in 2016 (it already has) and arrive in 2017


Same with UA98!
for most people the sky is the limit. for those who love aviation, the sky is home...
 
ttm
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:20 am

Re: Flights that depart in 2017 and arrive in 2016

Sat Dec 31, 2016 4:31 pm

Wait! I thought you would have to be traveling west (and not east) to be able to gain time. Most examples given here are traveling east and are for arriving a day or two later rather than a day earlier as the OP seems to be asking! Am I reading it wrong? This beer is great :champagne:
 
aeropix
Posts: 273
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2005 2:08 pm

Re: Flights that depart in 2017 and arrive in 2016

Sat Dec 31, 2016 5:11 pm

ttm wrote:
Wait! I thought you would have to be traveling west (and not east) to be able to gain time. Most examples given here are traveling east and are for arriving a day or two later rather than a day earlier as the OP seems to be asking! Am I reading it wrong? This beer is great :champagne:


Transpacific flights cross the date line...
 
User avatar
flyingturtle
Posts: 6010
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:39 pm

Re: Flights that depart in 2017 and arrive in 2016

Sat Dec 31, 2016 5:19 pm

I wonder why no charter company sells tickets for a round-the-North-Pole flight, for example HFT-OME-YYQ-YQX-KEF-HFT. Celebrate Silvester err.... New Year's Eve several times at exotic places...


David
Reading accident reports is what calms me down
 
flyinghighryan
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2017 12:45 am

Re: Flights that depart in 2017 and arrive in 2016

Sun Jan 01, 2017 12:52 am

 
steex
Posts: 1438
Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2007 8:45 am

Re: Flights that depart in 2017 and arrive in 2016

Sun Jan 01, 2017 1:00 am

aeropix wrote:
ttm wrote:
Wait! I thought you would have to be traveling west (and not east) to be able to gain time. Most examples given here are traveling east and are for arriving a day or two later rather than a day earlier as the OP seems to be asking! Am I reading it wrong? This beer is great :champagne:


Transpacific flights cross the date line...


Yep. You have to travel westbound to "gain" time in small increments, but you have to cross the international date line eastbound to "gain" 24 hours at once.
 
RetiredWeasel
Posts: 816
Joined: Sat Jul 05, 2014 8:16 pm

Re: Flights that depart in 2017 and arrive in 2016

Sun Jan 01, 2017 1:38 am

flyingturtle wrote:
I wonder why no charter company sells tickets for a round-the-North-Pole flight, for example HFT-OME-YYQ-YQX-KEF-HFT. Celebrate Silvester err.... New Year's Eve several times at exotic places...


David

Sounds like my daughter dribbling a soccer ball through 4 states in less than 30 seconds. Of course it was done at the four corners national monument in the southwest.
 
User avatar
flyingturtle
Posts: 6010
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:39 pm

Re: Flights that depart in 2017 and arrive in 2016

Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:47 am

RetiredWeasel wrote:
Sounds like my daughter dribbling a soccer ball through 4 states in less than 30 seconds. Of course it was done at the four corners national monument in the southwest.


But unlike your daughter's superb soccer playing, this flight has a business plan! :bouncy:

1. Offer HFT-OME-YYQ-YQX-KEF-HFT.
2. ???
3. PROFIT!

David
Reading accident reports is what calms me down

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos