cvgComair
Posts: 2040
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:48 pm

Re: The Rest Of Ohio - 2017

Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:54 am

Cvgspotter15 wrote:
So rumor has it American will be going to B, and Southwest will take American’s gates. I don’t know why Southwest needs those. Maybe they will announce an expansion in early 2018 because that would line up nicely with the new acquisitions, and it is after 6 months of service. I am guessing they will not take A15 however, that lone straggler old US Airways gate the MD-83 usually parks in. It just seems inconvenient to me. So that leads Gate A1, A2, and A15 for new airlines which is plenty of space to me. Where do you think American will go in B? Possibly the end of the long end. It would make sense since almost all the vendors down there closed, and a lot of the new vendors could fill the vacant spots since there are practically none open. Also where do you guys think WOW will go at B? I think it has to be in B1-B14 due to customs.

WN’s gate area is pretty tight on the ground, especially as they bring in the 738’s, I imagine they will need more space for equipment etc, plus they will need room if they decide on future growth. Gate A15 is going to UA per the airport. I think G4 is probably going to need a 4th gate soon, I think A23 will be reactivated at some point, especially since G4 will no longer be using 757's on A21, there is no reason it can't be fit in (DL ran 757's and 767's in that area, I know there is room). F9/UA/AC should be fine with their current gate setup. SY is going to need room in A next Summer, I don't think they would use more than 1-2 gates, but you never know what they will try.

DL is not currently using B25/B27/B28. I am not sure exactly what gate WOW will use, G4/F9 seem to just use whatever gate is available, but since they arrive around 11pm, they just need a gate without a RON. I believe only 1-10 have customs access, though I am not sure if any of the gates have been closed off to customs. CDG usually uses A5, so possibly WOW will use the same gate?

AA should be taking B23-28, which they can grow quite a bit in. B27 and B28 can be configured to hold 3 CRJ's, and B25 and B26 can hold 2 CRJ's. I have no clue what they plan on adding, but they will certainly have room to do pretty much whatever they want.

So I guess this should be the approximate gate setup once everything is set and done (please correct me as you see fit!):

R27 (Concourse C Shuttle Stop) - J1

A1 - Open
A2 - Open
A3 - SY?
A4 - Charter/Open
A5 - SY?
A6 - WN
A7 - WN
A8 - WN
A9 - WN
A10 - UA
A11 - UA
A12 - UA
A13 - UA
A14 - F9
A15 - UA
A16 - AC
A17 - G4
A18 - F9
A19 - G4
A20 - Unusable
A21 - G4
A22 - F9
A23 - Reopened for G4 if needed?

ad-hoc B1-10 - G4/F9/WW/WQ/Y4
B1 - DL
B2 - DL
B3 - DL
B4 - DL
B5 - DL
B6 - DL
B7 - DL
B8 - DL
B9 - DL
B10 - DL
B11 - DL
B12 - DL
B13 - DL
B14 - DL
B15 - DL
B16 - DL
B17 - DL
B18 - DL
B19 - DL
B20 - DL
B21 - DL
B22 - DL
B23 - AA
B24 - AA
B25 - AA
B26 - AA
B27 (B29/B31) - AA
B28 (B30/B32) - AA
 
papatango
Posts: 477
Joined: Wed Dec 08, 1999 10:32 am

Re: The Rest Of Ohio - 2017

Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:30 am

Seems like Delta has put any domestic expansion from CMH on the back burner and moved any international service off the stove!
 
DeltaRules
Posts: 4899
Joined: Sat Sep 01, 2001 11:57 am

Re: The Rest Of Ohio - 2017

Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:55 am

NK schedule:
Departures (2-15-18):
1273 6:00AM TPA 319 (eff 2-16)
1669 8:00AM MCO 319
447 12:15PM FLL 319
157 1:15PM MYR 319 (eff 3-23, less than daily)
751 2:40PM RSW 319
961 4:20PM MSY 319 (eff 3-22, less than daily)
325 7:45PM LAS 319

Arrivals (2-15-18. Apparently, there will be a bookable inbound 2-14 to make up the first flight out on the 15th):
306 6:36AM LAS 319
1270 11:25AM TPA 319 (eff 2-16)
1668 1:50PM MCO 319
494 6:41PM FLL 319
752 8:20PM RSW 319
944 9:35PM MSY 319 (eff 3-22, less than daily)
158 10:05PM MYR 319 (eff 3-23, not daily)
A310/319/320/321/333, ARJ, BN2, B717/722/73S/733/734/735/73G/738/739/744/757/753/767/763/764/777, CR1/2/7/9, DH6, 328, EM2/ERJ/E70/E75/E90, F28/100, J31, L10/12/15, DC9/D93/D94/D95/M80/M88/M90/D10, SF3, SST
 
User avatar
Cvgspotter15
Posts: 359
Joined: Sat May 13, 2017 6:14 pm

Re: The Rest Of Ohio - 2017

Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:57 am

cvgComair wrote:
Cvgspotter15 wrote:
So rumor has it American will be going to B, and Southwest will take American’s gates. I don’t know why Southwest needs those. Maybe they will announce an expansion in early 2018 because that would line up nicely with the new acquisitions, and it is after 6 months of service. I am guessing they will not take A15 however, that lone straggler old US Airways gate the MD-83 usually parks in. It just seems inconvenient to me. So that leads Gate A1, A2, and A15 for new airlines which is plenty of space to me. Where do you think American will go in B? Possibly the end of the long end. It would make sense since almost all the vendors down there closed, and a lot of the new vendors could fill the vacant spots since there are practically none open. Also where do you guys think WOW will go at B? I think it has to be in B1-B14 due to customs.

WN’s gate area is pretty tight on the ground, especially as they bring in the 738’s, I imagine they will need more space for equipment etc, plus they will need room if they decide on future growth. Gate A15 is going to UA per the airport. I think G4 is probably going to need a 4th gate soon, I think A23 will be reactivated at some point, especially since G4 will no longer be using 757's on A21, there is no reason it can't be fit in (DL ran 757's and 767's in that area, I know there is room). F9/UA/AC should be fine with their current gate setup. SY is going to need room in A next Summer, I don't think they would use more than 1-2 gates, but you never know what they will try.

DL is not currently using B25/B27/B28. I am not sure exactly what gate WOW will use, G4/F9 seem to just use whatever gate is available, but since they arrive around 11pm, they just need a gate without a RON. I believe only 1-10 have customs access, though I am not sure if any of the gates have been closed off to customs. CDG usually uses A5, so possibly WOW will use the same gate?

AA should be taking B23-28, which they can grow quite a bit in. B27 and B28 can be configured to hold 3 CRJ's, and B25 and B26 can hold 2 CRJ's. I have no clue what they plan on adding, but they will certainly have room to do pretty much whatever they want.

So I guess this should be the approximate gate setup once everything is set and done (please correct me as you see fit!):

R27 (Concourse C Shuttle Stop) - J1

A1 - Open
A2 - Open
A3 - SY?
A4 - Charter/Open
A5 - SY?
A6 - WN
A7 - WN
A8 - WN
A9 - WN
A10 - UA
A11 - UA
A12 - UA
A13 - UA
A14 - F9
A15 - UA
A16 - AC
A17 - G4
A18 - F9
A19 - G4
A20 - Unusable
A21 - G4
A22 - F9
A23 - Reopened for G4 if needed?

ad-hoc B1-10 - G4/F9/WW/WQ/Y4
B1 - DL
B2 - DL
B3 - DL
B4 - DL
B5 - DL
B6 - DL
B7 - DL
B8 - DL
B9 - DL
B10 - DL
B11 - DL
B12 - DL
B13 - DL
B14 - DL
B15 - DL
B16 - DL
B17 - DL
B18 - DL
B19 - DL
B20 - DL
B21 - DL
B22 - DL
B23 - AA
B24 - AA
B25 - AA
B26 - AA
B27 (B29/B31) - AA
B28 (B30/B32) - AA


So SWA is giving up their current gates?
 
User avatar
AirportRival
Posts: 378
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:24 pm

Re: The Rest Of Ohio - 2017

Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:15 am

cvgComair wrote:
Cvgspotter15 wrote:
So rumor has it American will be going to B, and Southwest will take American’s gates. I don’t know why Southwest needs those. Maybe they will announce an expansion in early 2018 because that would line up nicely with the new acquisitions, and it is after 6 months of service. I am guessing they will not take A15 however, that lone straggler old US Airways gate the MD-83 usually parks in. It just seems inconvenient to me. So that leads Gate A1, A2, and A15 for new airlines which is plenty of space to me. Where do you think American will go in B? Possibly the end of the long end. It would make sense since almost all the vendors down there closed, and a lot of the new vendors could fill the vacant spots since there are practically none open. Also where do you guys think WOW will go at B? I think it has to be in B1-B14 due to customs.

WN’s gate area is pretty tight on the ground, especially as they bring in the 738’s, I imagine they will need more space for equipment etc, plus they will need room if they decide on future growth. Gate A15 is going to UA per the airport. I think G4 is probably going to need a 4th gate soon, I think A23 will be reactivated at some point, especially since G4 will no longer be using 757's on A21, there is no reason it can't be fit in (DL ran 757's and 767's in that area, I know there is room). F9/UA/AC should be fine with their current gate setup. SY is going to need room in A next Summer, I don't think they would use more than 1-2 gates, but you never know what they will try.

DL is not currently using B25/B27/B28. I am not sure exactly what gate WOW will use, G4/F9 seem to just use whatever gate is available, but since they arrive around 11pm, they just need a gate without a RON. I believe only 1-10 have customs access, though I am not sure if any of the gates have been closed off to customs. CDG usually uses A5, so possibly WOW will use the same gate?

AA should be taking B23-28, which they can grow quite a bit in. B27 and B28 can be configured to hold 3 CRJ's, and B25 and B26 can hold 2 CRJ's. I have no clue what they plan on adding, but they will certainly have room to do pretty much whatever they want.

So I guess this should be the approximate gate setup once everything is set and done (please correct me as you see fit!):

R27 (Concourse C Shuttle Stop) - J1

A1 - Open
A2 - Open
A3 - SY?
A4 - Charter/Open
A5 - SY?
A6 - WN
A7 - WN
A8 - WN
A9 - WN
A10 - UA
A11 - UA
A12 - UA
A13 - UA
A14 - F9
A15 - UA
A16 - AC
A17 - G4
A18 - F9
A19 - G4
A20 - Unusable
A21 - G4
A22 - F9
A23 - Reopened for G4 if needed?

ad-hoc B1-10 - G4/F9/WW/WQ/Y4
B1 - DL
B2 - DL
B3 - DL
B4 - DL
B5 - DL
B6 - DL
B7 - DL
B8 - DL
B9 - DL
B10 - DL
B11 - DL
B12 - DL
B13 - DL
B14 - DL
B15 - DL
B16 - DL
B17 - DL
B18 - DL
B19 - DL
B20 - DL
B21 - DL
B22 - DL
B23 - AA
B24 - AA
B25 - AA
B26 - AA
B27 (B29/B31) - AA
B28 (B30/B32) - AA


Frontier will be going back to A14 and A16 as their leased gates as soon as the carpet replacement is finished and the gates are repainted (A14, A16, and A18 are all getting repainted at angles due to an issue with the fuel hydrant placements). Air Canada will be going back to A18. Frontier will be leaving a hookup point at A18 and A22 for any overflow that would need to go there.

There was a rumor a while back that the airport was looking into adding A23 back but I haven't seen anything indicating that it is going to happen anytime soon.
A319, A320, A321, B1900F, B737-300, B737-400, B737-400F, B737-700, B737-800, B757-200, B757-200F, B767-200F, B767-300F, CRJ-200, CRJ-700, ERJ-145, E-170, E-175, MD-80, SD3-60F
 
DeltaRules
Posts: 4899
Joined: Sat Sep 01, 2001 11:57 am

Re: The Rest Of Ohio - 2017

Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:29 pm

papatango wrote:
Seems like Delta has put any domestic expansion from CMH on the back burner and moved any international service off the stove!


Not sure what you mean- they may very well have something or nothing in the works, but none of what Spirit added would compete with any potential DL additions (SEA, SLC, CDG/AMS, other point-to-point they could come up with). I'd agree had they taken a shot at SEA, but they only overlap on the MCO and RSW routes nonstop.
A310/319/320/321/333, ARJ, BN2, B717/722/73S/733/734/735/73G/738/739/744/757/753/767/763/764/777, CR1/2/7/9, DH6, 328, EM2/ERJ/E70/E75/E90, F28/100, J31, L10/12/15, DC9/D93/D94/D95/M80/M88/M90/D10, SF3, SST
 
DeltaRules
Posts: 4899
Joined: Sat Sep 01, 2001 11:57 am

Re: The Rest Of Ohio - 2017

Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:52 am

Now that the excitement has settled down a bit, one change I really like on CMH/LCK's updated site are the new service announcements feature the airline's logo, i.e. "(Spirit logo) launches Columbus" versus "Spirit launches Columbus". Using the logo is more eye-catching to me.
A310/319/320/321/333, ARJ, BN2, B717/722/73S/733/734/735/73G/738/739/744/757/753/767/763/764/777, CR1/2/7/9, DH6, 328, EM2/ERJ/E70/E75/E90, F28/100, J31, L10/12/15, DC9/D93/D94/D95/M80/M88/M90/D10, SF3, SST
 
Briancw
Posts: 65
Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:55 pm

Re: The Rest Of Ohio - 2017

Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:10 pm

DeltaRules wrote:
Now that the excitement has settled down a bit, one change I really like on CMH/LCK's updated site are the new service announcements feature the airline's logo, i.e. "(Spirit logo) launches Columbus" versus "Spirit launches Columbus". Using the logo is more eye-catching to me.


All around the design is much improved including what you've referenced.

I'm curious to hear your thoughts on available gate space at CMH and to what extent that would impede additional route or airline expansion. Any thoughts?
 
cvgComair
Posts: 2040
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:48 pm

Re: The Rest Of Ohio - 2017

Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:19 pm

Pretty cool that now 18L/36R is closed for repairs, they are using 18R/36L for arrivals.
 
DeltaRules
Posts: 4899
Joined: Sat Sep 01, 2001 11:57 am

Re: The Rest Of Ohio - 2017

Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:29 pm

Briancw wrote:
DeltaRules wrote:
Now that the excitement has settled down a bit, one change I really like on CMH/LCK's updated site are the new service announcements feature the airline's logo, i.e. "(Spirit logo) launches Columbus" versus "Spirit launches Columbus". Using the logo is more eye-catching to me.


All around the design is much improved including what you've referenced.

I'm curious to hear your thoughts on available gate space at CMH and to what extent that would impede additional route or airline expansion. Any thoughts?


The gates in use right now are as follows:
A:
WN- A2, 3, 4, 5, 6

B:
AA- B19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 28 (there is no 27)
UA- B29, 31, 32, 34 (there is no 33 anymore)
AC- B30
F9- B35

C:
DL/I'd also assume WN when their CUN flight starts (international arrivals only)- C46
Vacation Express (departures)- C47
J1- C48
DL- C49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56

(I know the CUN and PUJ charters leave C47, but I don't know if they tow the plane to C46 to deplane for FIS or they just isolate the area on arrival and herd them to Customs.)

I see it a couple different ways. The airport only has a handful of gates left with no knowledge of where NK will go yet. Of those:
-A1 has a parking line but no jetway. It's the only gate in A WN could use, but doesn't right now, which is ironic because it was the first gate they operated from at CMH.
-A7 is a basement gate which was for US Express when US had the whole concourse in the '90s. The vestibule leading out to the ramp is still visible. (When CO moved to A in 2005, they had "A5A" for ERJ flights instead of using A7, which didn't make sense to me.). Assuming the hold room is still there, it'd be perfect for OneJet...if they could get around the second A6 parking line described by another poster.)
-A "new" B33 could be created by attaching a double jetway to B32, which could theoretically open B34 because UA wouldn't seem to need both (credit to another poster who had the idea).
-B36 is open and needs a jetway.
-C46 and 47 are open. 46 is connected to FIS, 47 is only used by whoever is running the Vacation Express charters (Swift, Interjet, VivaAerobus...)
-C48 is currently OneJet's but needs a jetway.
-I don't know what DL's deal is with C49 other than they seem to have taken it for their own. Maybe it could be a CUTE gate in some way?

The other way of looking at it is "Who's left that could conceivably start CMH to fill those gates?":
-AS/VX seems quite possible to SEA as long as DL doesn't do it first. (There's one gate.)
-B6 is questionable. I figured either NK or B6 could run connections via FLL and NK just did.
-SY in its new ULCC form? If they're looking at CVG, there's no reason they wouldn't consider CMH.
-OneJet is considering starting a "base" at CMH, so what sort of expanded facilities might they need?
-Somebody like Southern Airways Express running Caravans to connect dots in the region?
-Then there's the possibility of whoever might start TATL service which, at this point, looks like it's either AA or DL given the CRAA minutes in August, with an outside chance of BA themselves or maybe DY.

Again, this is all speculation based on what I know about the industry and observe at the airport or through friends or the media. What they probably need to do if they want to keep adding service is find a way to create a couple more gates, because the new terminal is 15-18 years away. The only thing I can see looking at an overhead on Google Maps is somehow to build a little bit more onto A and relocate WN's baggage carts, but I don't know if they'd do that.

What doesn't make sense to me is why they lopped off the counter space around the corner leading to A and C (think where B6 and DL used to be on the C end and where WN was on the A end). If NK goes where I think they will (the Charters desk), there's nowhere else for anyone to expand using the presently-available counter space.
A310/319/320/321/333, ARJ, BN2, B717/722/73S/733/734/735/73G/738/739/744/757/753/767/763/764/777, CR1/2/7/9, DH6, 328, EM2/ERJ/E70/E75/E90, F28/100, J31, L10/12/15, DC9/D93/D94/D95/M80/M88/M90/D10, SF3, SST
 
User avatar
Midwestindy
Posts: 3935
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:56 am

Re: The Rest Of Ohio - 2017

Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:04 pm

AS/VX usually share a gate with AA (at least they do at IND), so an AS flight shouldn’t take up a gate
Delta Diamond Medallion and AAdvantage Gold for 2019
 
DeltaRules
Posts: 4899
Joined: Sat Sep 01, 2001 11:57 am

Re: The Rest Of Ohio - 2017

Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:43 pm

The gate question has me curious as to how many gates have been unused at CMH at various times over the years and how it played out. I know there were a pile open after the HP hub closed. Just before a big gate shuffle in 2005 (triggered by the HP/US merger- I remember because US moved a day or two after we got back from SXM), it looked something like this:
A: 1, 2, 3, 4 (US), 5, 5A, 6 (CO)
B: 23, 25 (HP), 28, 29, 31 (UA), 30 (AC), 32, 33, 34 (AA), 35, 36 (NW)
C: 47 (YX?), 49, 50 (WN), 52, 53, 54, 55, 56 (DL)

Unused- A7, B16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 24, 26, C46, C48

US moved to 22/24/26 and inherited 23 and 25 from HP. WN moved to A. Not long after, B6 came to CMH and used C49 and C50. The original B17, 19, and 21 were closed and converted into Skybus' ground-level gates; the numbers are back in use today with jetways. Mergermania shaped the way things are today.

Midwestindy wrote:
AS/VX usually share a gate with AA (at least they do at IND), so an AS flight shouldn’t take up a gate


I didn't think of that, but that's possible. I know they shared a gate with DL at one point at ATL before they wound up with their own on D.
A310/319/320/321/333, ARJ, BN2, B717/722/73S/733/734/735/73G/738/739/744/757/753/767/763/764/777, CR1/2/7/9, DH6, 328, EM2/ERJ/E70/E75/E90, F28/100, J31, L10/12/15, DC9/D93/D94/D95/M80/M88/M90/D10, SF3, SST
 
miaami
Posts: 888
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2007 2:27 am

Re: The Rest Of Ohio - 2017

Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:53 pm

Mar 17 sees 10 nonstops between CMH/LCK and MCO/SFB with NK entering the market. WN really ups its frequencies between most of the Midwest and Florida on Saturdays next spring. I believe this is the most scheduled nonstops between the 2 city pairs ever. Spring break obviously in play here and most are Saturday only flights, but an impressive schedule none the less.

MAR 17 2018
CMH - MCO
WN 05:05a 07:15a
NK 08:00a 10:30a
WN 09:05a 11:15a
DL 10:55a 01:10p
WN 11:55a 02:10p
WN 01:30p 03:40p
WN 03:05p 05:15p
WN 06:50p 09:00p
WN 08:05p 10:15p
LCK - SFB
G4 03:28 05:34p
 
jplatts
Posts: 2514
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:42 pm

Re: The Rest Of Ohio - 2017

Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:05 pm

Does anyone know how sales have been on the upcoming Southwest seasonal CMH-HOU nonstop service that starts on Friday, November 17th?
 
cvgComair
Posts: 2040
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:48 pm

Re: The Rest Of Ohio - 2017

Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:50 pm

AirportRival wrote:
Frontier will be going back to A14 and A16 as their leased gates as soon as the carpet replacement is finished and the gates are repainted (A14, A16, and A18 are all getting repainted at angles due to an issue with the fuel hydrant placements). Air Canada will be going back to A18. Frontier will be leaving a hookup point at A18 and A22 for any overflow that would need to go there.

There was a rumor a while back that the airport was looking into adding A23 back but I haven't seen anything indicating that it is going to happen anytime soon.

:checkmark: Thanks as always for help with gate assignments! Do you know what carriers are using A1/2/4 (if any) right now?
 
Briancw
Posts: 65
Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:55 pm

Re: The Rest Of Ohio - 2017

Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:56 pm

Appreciate your info and opinion on the gate situation, DeltaRules. Thanks.
 
brooklynchris13
Posts: 261
Joined: Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:11 am

Re: The Rest Of Ohio - 2017

Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:59 pm

miaami wrote:
Mar 17 sees 10 nonstops between CMH/LCK and MCO/SFB with NK entering the market. WN really ups its frequencies between most of the Midwest and Florida on Saturdays next spring. I believe this is the most scheduled nonstops between the 2 city pairs ever. Spring break obviously in play here and most are Saturday only flights, but an impressive schedule none the less.

MAR 17 2018
CMH - MCO
WN 05:05a 07:15a
NK 08:00a 10:30a
WN 09:05a 11:15a
DL 10:55a 01:10p
WN 11:55a 02:10p
WN 01:30p 03:40p
WN 03:05p 05:15p
WN 06:50p 09:00p
WN 08:05p 10:15p
LCK - SFB
G4 03:28 05:34p


Actually, it's 11(!!) with an F9 nonstop departure to MCO from CMH @ 7:10pm. Crazy to see how much lift on this route but they will likely all be full. On a related note, I have been looking at Spirit's timetable to see just how impressive their launch is at CMH and where they may have room to grow in terms of destinations. They fly to many of the locations that are on CMH's wish-list and with the likely lack of any point-to-point flying by the majors, they just may bring some long awaited west-coast flying if they do well. I think the Frontier issue with the plane that arrived with no bags last winter may have had an impact on the willingness of people in CMH to try F9, creating an additional weakness for Sprit to exploit. Perhaps Spirit will be a more successful version of Skybus here, time will tell. On that note, what does anyone see as likely potential adds for Spirit if they do start to succeed here? Maybe SAT, SAN, SEA first?
"Be the change you want to see in the world" (mg)
 
jplatts
Posts: 2514
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:42 pm

Re: The Rest Of Ohio - 2017

Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:06 pm

brooklynchris13 wrote:
Actually, it's 11(!!) with an F9 nonstop departure to MCO from CMH @ 7:10pm. Crazy to see how much lift on this route but they will likely all be full. On a related note, I have been looking at Spirit's timetable to see just how impressive their launch is at CMH and where they may have room to grow in terms of destinations. They fly to many of the locations that are on CMH's wish-list and with the likely lack of any point-to-point flying by the majors, they just may bring some long awaited west-coast flying if they do well. I think the Frontier issue with the plane that arrived with no bags last winter may have had an impact on the willingness of people in CMH to try F9, creating an additional weakness for Sprit to exploit. Perhaps Spirit will be a more successful version of Skybus here, time will tell. On that note, what does anyone see as likely potential adds for Spirit if they do start to succeed here? Maybe SAT, SAN, SEA first?


I could see Spirit possibly adding CMH-DFW nonstop service since Spirit has a focus city and operating base at DFW Airport, but I do not see Spirit serving SAT, SAN, or SEA nonstop from CMH in the near future.
 
User avatar
flymco753
Posts: 3242
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:09 am

Re: The Rest Of Ohio - 2017

Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:18 pm

jplatts wrote:
brooklynchris13 wrote:
Actually, it's 11(!!) with an F9 nonstop departure to MCO from CMH @ 7:10pm. Crazy to see how much lift on this route but they will likely all be full. On a related note, I have been looking at Spirit's timetable to see just how impressive their launch is at CMH and where they may have room to grow in terms of destinations. They fly to many of the locations that are on CMH's wish-list and with the likely lack of any point-to-point flying by the majors, they just may bring some long awaited west-coast flying if they do well. I think the Frontier issue with the plane that arrived with no bags last winter may have had an impact on the willingness of people in CMH to try F9, creating an additional weakness for Sprit to exploit. Perhaps Spirit will be a more successful version of Skybus here, time will tell. On that note, what does anyone see as likely potential adds for Spirit if they do start to succeed here? Maybe SAT, SAN, SEA first?


I could see Spirit possibly adding CMH-DFW nonstop service since Spirit has a focus city and operating base at DFW Airport, but I do not see Spirit serving SAT, SAN, or SEA nonstop from CMH in the near future.
Spirit isn't going to develop CMH into a hub or focus city. As of now only 1 hub and 3 focus cities are served from SEA for NK, DFW would make sense because it's a focus city. I don't think CMH will get anymore than what's offered now with the possibility of DFW over IAH.
...the carriage of liquids, gels, and aerosols are prohibited through the screening checkpoint except for travel size toiletries of 3 ounces or less...
 
DeltaRules
Posts: 4899
Joined: Sat Sep 01, 2001 11:57 am

Re: The Rest Of Ohio - 2017

Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:44 pm

brooklynchris13 wrote:
I think the Frontier issue with the plane that arrived with no bags last winter may have had an impact on the willingness of people in CMH to try F9, creating an additional weakness for Sprit to exploit. Perhaps Spirit will be a more successful version of Skybus here, time will tell. On that note, what does anyone see as likely potential adds for Spirit if they do start to succeed here? Maybe SAT, SAN, SEA first?


Whoa, I didn't hear about the F9 plane with no bags.

As for new routes, I don't know what else would be there- I'm really impressed with what they're starting with. The Florida destinations are all Fornaro/FL retreads, with MSY/MYR/LAS being new.

If you want to compare to a nearby market, CLE is mostly to Legacy hubs right now. PIT has DFW and LAX, but no MSY. Not terribly "close", but BWI has lots of point-to-point stuff in spite of not being a "focus city", including SAN and SEA.
A310/319/320/321/333, ARJ, BN2, B717/722/73S/733/734/735/73G/738/739/744/757/753/767/763/764/777, CR1/2/7/9, DH6, 328, EM2/ERJ/E70/E75/E90, F28/100, J31, L10/12/15, DC9/D93/D94/D95/M80/M88/M90/D10, SF3, SST
 
User avatar
boscmh
Posts: 79
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:49 pm

Re: The Rest Of Ohio - 2017

Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:07 pm

I wouldn't mind NK entering as a cheap option to LAX, I think they could make that work at least seasonally at CMH and not negatively affect AA or DL too much on the route. Otherwise, like has been mentioned I could see DFW being a logical addition as well.
 
brooklynchris13
Posts: 261
Joined: Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:11 am

Re: The Rest Of Ohio - 2017

Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:06 pm

More information regarding Spirit. If the location of the big yellow sign is any indication, their counter space will be between on the south side between Southwest and the Charters spot. Currently (as of 3:30pm today), there is "Fly Columbus" branding there with a large Spirit sign in front. I wonder how much of a challenge it would be for them to operate out of C with their counter that far to the right or if this means they might be going to A1, which would be very interesting. It also looks like SW may have given up some counter space, but I never really paid that much attention to that end of the terminal.
"Be the change you want to see in the world" (mg)
 
DeltaRules
Posts: 4899
Joined: Sat Sep 01, 2001 11:57 am

Re: The Rest Of Ohio - 2017

Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:34 pm

brooklynchris13 wrote:
More information regarding Spirit. If the location of the big yellow sign is any indication, their counter space will be between on the south side between Southwest and the Charters spot. Currently (as of 3:30pm today), there is "Fly Columbus" branding there with a large Spirit sign in front. I wonder how much of a challenge it would be for them to operate out of C with their counter that far to the right or if this means they might be going to A1, which would be very interesting. It also looks like SW may have given up some counter space, but I never really paid that much attention to that end of the terminal.


They could also be going to B36. It'd be a bit of a hike, but NW had their counter in roughly that same position and used B35 and B36.
A310/319/320/321/333, ARJ, BN2, B717/722/73S/733/734/735/73G/738/739/744/757/753/767/763/764/777, CR1/2/7/9, DH6, 328, EM2/ERJ/E70/E75/E90, F28/100, J31, L10/12/15, DC9/D93/D94/D95/M80/M88/M90/D10, SF3, SST
 
flyguy89
Posts: 2534
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:43 pm

Re: The Rest Of Ohio - 2017

Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:39 pm

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/money/2017/11/13/greater-cincinnatis-economy-fastest-growing-midwest/840139001/

Some good news that should hopefully continue propelling air travel at CVG!
 
flyinryan99
Posts: 1490
Joined: Sat Feb 17, 2001 6:54 am

Re: The Rest Of Ohio - 2017

Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:36 pm

Toledo finally starting to see the effects of Charlotte service. October passenger statistics are as follows:

Allegiant Air
Month Available Seats Enplanements Load Factor Deplanements Load Factor Total Passengers Change
October 4,584 3,886 85% 3,577 78% 7,463 -5.5%
YTD 52,290 44,132 84% 44,225 85% 88,357 -5%

American Airlines operated by Envoy/PSA/Skywest
Month Available Seats Enplanements Load Factor Deplanements Load Factor Total Passengers Change
October 7,438 5,619 76% 5,678 76% 11,297 81.6%
YTD 47,587 32,484 68% 32,904 69% 65,388 16%

Airport Total
Month Available Seats Enplanements Load Factor Deplanements Load Factor Total Passengers Change
October 12,139 9,622 79% 9,444 78% 19,066 32.8%
YTD 101,148 77,887 77% 78,400 78% 156,287 3.2%

Should hit between 190,000 and 195,000 passengers through TOL this year which would put it between 5% and 8% growth over 2016. Slow but steady growth going forward. Hopefully TOL can finally join the foray of 70 seat RJs with First Class service in 2018 which would keep growth moving up for 2018. No other changes at TOL other than tidying up the place a bit and investing in the facility which hasn't been done lately.
 
CMHMarc787
Posts: 88
Joined: Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:09 pm

Re: The Rest Of Ohio - 2017

Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:53 pm

DeltaRules wrote:
brooklynchris13 wrote:
More information regarding Spirit. If the location of the big yellow sign is any indication, their counter space will be between on the south side between Southwest and the Charters spot. Currently (as of 3:30pm today), there is "Fly Columbus" branding there with a large Spirit sign in front. I wonder how much of a challenge it would be for them to operate out of C with their counter that far to the right or if this means they might be going to A1, which would be very interesting. It also looks like SW may have given up some counter space, but I never really paid that much attention to that end of the terminal.


They could also be going to B36. It'd be a bit of a hike, but NW had their counter in roughly that same position and used B35 and B36.


This is going to be a bit wordy...but please just go with me.

I would suggest doing to B32 what they've done at B22/24/26; take one door and make three jetways; you could then renumber gates (eliminate B30's need to walk onto the tarmac in-order to access AC planes, and move it to B31 [making it now B30])...B31/31/33 would be the tri-gate). With this you can have UA/AC operate solely on the northside of B terminal, and freeing up B34 for F9, or NX. Add a jetway back to B36 and you would then have the ULCC's all in one area.

Just my $.02
 
cledaybuck
Posts: 1392
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:07 pm

Re: The Rest Of Ohio - 2017

Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:59 pm

I thought NK was supposed to be a ULCC? Fares on CMH-MYR are currently at $155 one way this summer. That's over $1,000 for my family of 3 once extras like baggage are added in. I doubt they are going to get too many people out of their cars with those prices (I know I won't).
 
cvgComair
Posts: 2040
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:48 pm

Re: The Rest Of Ohio - 2017

Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:17 pm

I bet G4 will extend their schedule in the next week or so, it seems like they always wait to launch their new routes at CVG, then announce the next set of new routes right after that. CVG-LAX/RDU/PVD start tomorrow, so it is about time.
 
DeltaRules
Posts: 4899
Joined: Sat Sep 01, 2001 11:57 am

Re: The Rest Of Ohio - 2017

Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:30 pm

AS added PIT-SEA.

This makes CMH the largest market with no SEA nonstop now, right?

CMHMarc787 wrote:
DeltaRules wrote:
brooklynchris13 wrote:
More information regarding Spirit. If the location of the big yellow sign is any indication, their counter space will be between on the south side between Southwest and the Charters spot. Currently (as of 3:30pm today), there is "Fly Columbus" branding there with a large Spirit sign in front. I wonder how much of a challenge it would be for them to operate out of C with their counter that far to the right or if this means they might be going to A1, which would be very interesting. It also looks like SW may have given up some counter space, but I never really paid that much attention to that end of the terminal.


They could also be going to B36. It'd be a bit of a hike, but NW had their counter in roughly that same position and used B35 and B36.


This is going to be a bit wordy...but please just go with me.

I would suggest doing to B32 what they've done at B22/24/26; take one door and make three jetways; you could then renumber gates (eliminate B30's need to walk onto the tarmac in-order to access AC planes, and move it to B31 [making it now B30])...B31/31/33 would be the tri-gate). With this you can have UA/AC operate solely on the northside of B terminal, and freeing up B34 for F9, or NX. Add a jetway back to B36 and you would then have the ULCC's all in one area.

Just my $.02


No, i'm with you there. I just hadn't thought of a triple.

cledaybuck wrote:
I thought NK was supposed to be a ULCC? Fares on CMH-MYR are currently at $155 one way this summer. That's over $1,000 for my family of 3 once extras like baggage are added in. I doubt they are going to get too many people out of their cars with those prices (I know I won't).


I've seen F9 in the mid-hundreds one-way, too.
A310/319/320/321/333, ARJ, BN2, B717/722/73S/733/734/735/73G/738/739/744/757/753/767/763/764/777, CR1/2/7/9, DH6, 328, EM2/ERJ/E70/E75/E90, F28/100, J31, L10/12/15, DC9/D93/D94/D95/M80/M88/M90/D10, SF3, SST
 
User avatar
Cvgspotter15
Posts: 359
Joined: Sat May 13, 2017 6:14 pm

Re: The Rest Of Ohio - 2017

Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:12 am

So apparently a “new airline” is operating two charter flights on Saturday at CVG for some test and then announcing service on a small schedule. I heard this from some spotters and I’m not sure if this is valid. Thoughts?
 
User avatar
Midwestindy
Posts: 3935
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:56 am

Re: The Rest Of Ohio - 2017

Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:25 am

Cvgspotter15 wrote:
So apparently a “new airline” is operating two charter flights on Saturday at CVG for some test and then announcing service on a small schedule. I heard this from some spotters and I’m not sure if this is valid. Thoughts?


SY?
Delta Diamond Medallion and AAdvantage Gold for 2019
 
cvgComair
Posts: 2040
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:48 pm

Re: The Rest Of Ohio - 2017

Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:36 am

Midwestindy wrote:
Cvgspotter15 wrote:
So apparently a “new airline” is operating two charter flights on Saturday at CVG for some test and then announcing service on a small schedule. I heard this from some spotters and I’m not sure if this is valid. Thoughts?

SY?

That was my initial thought as well. They had two flights come to CVG last weekend, not sure what their purpose was, but they seem to have a charter flight come every few weeks.

What precedence is their for airlines running "test-flights" before adding service? It seems kind of odd, especially given SY previously announced non-MSP services would begin in the mid-2018 summer, which is quite a ways from now, I would not think they would need test flights for a little while yet.
 
User avatar
flymco753
Posts: 3242
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:09 am

Re: The Rest Of Ohio - 2017

Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:46 am

cvgComair wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:
Cvgspotter15 wrote:
So apparently a “new airline” is operating two charter flights on Saturday at CVG for some test and then announcing service on a small schedule. I heard this from some spotters and I’m not sure if this is valid. Thoughts?

SY?

That was my initial thought as well. They had two flights come to CVG last weekend, not sure what their purpose was, but they seem to have a charter flight come every few weeks.

What precedence is their for airlines running "test-flights" before adding service? It seems kind of odd, especially given SY previously announced non-MSP services would begin in the mid-2018 summer, which is quite a ways from now, I would not think they would need test flights for a little while yet.
They've been doing DTW charters too, the last few times I've flown into DTW I've seen one at gate D4 or 5. I don't think they're going to focus on MCO as much, I think the first true SY market for Midwest expansion is going to be RSW.
...the carriage of liquids, gels, and aerosols are prohibited through the screening checkpoint except for travel size toiletries of 3 ounces or less...
 
User avatar
Midwestindy
Posts: 3935
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:56 am

Re: The Rest Of Ohio - 2017

Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:49 am

Cvgspotter15 wrote:
So apparently a “new airline” is operating two charter flights on Saturday at CVG for some test and then announcing service on a small schedule. I heard this from some spotters and I’m not sure if this is valid. Thoughts?


Would the announcement be Saturday, or on a different day?
Delta Diamond Medallion and AAdvantage Gold for 2019
 
User avatar
Cvgspotter15
Posts: 359
Joined: Sat May 13, 2017 6:14 pm

Re: The Rest Of Ohio - 2017

Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:58 am

Apparently we won’t want to miss it and it is International from a country with a “big land mass” maybe from the south. That’s what was related to me I guess we will just have to wait a couple days.
 
User avatar
AirportRival
Posts: 378
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:24 pm

Re: The Rest Of Ohio - 2017

Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:01 am

The only charter flight on Saturday that I know of is just that, a charter. It's not a test flight nor is it going to lead to an announcement. I don't know which of the spotters told you that but that isn't even remotely true. Unless there is a surprise charter that I don't know (which isn't likely) then I think you got told a lie.
A319, A320, A321, B1900F, B737-300, B737-400, B737-400F, B737-700, B737-800, B757-200, B757-200F, B767-200F, B767-300F, CRJ-200, CRJ-700, ERJ-145, E-170, E-175, MD-80, SD3-60F
 
cvgComair
Posts: 2040
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:48 pm

Re: The Rest Of Ohio - 2017

Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:02 am

Cvgspotter15 wrote:
Apparently we won’t want to miss it and it is International from a country with a “big land mass” maybe from the south. That’s what was related to me I guess we will just have to wait a couple days.

That would better explain the tests. Honestly I have no clue given that information, I guess we will just have to wait and see... Seems kind of sketchy imo, but who knows.
Last edited by cvgComair on Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
 
User avatar
Cvgspotter15
Posts: 359
Joined: Sat May 13, 2017 6:14 pm

Re: The Rest Of Ohio - 2017

Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:04 am

Midwestindy wrote:
Cvgspotter15 wrote:
So apparently a “new airline” is operating two charter flights on Saturday at CVG for some test and then announcing service on a small schedule. I heard this from some spotters and I’m not sure if this is valid. Thoughts?


Would the announcement be Saturday, or on a different day?


I’m not sure all I know is the flights are on Saturday and the 23rd and my “hints” I got in the previous post. I reached out to workers at the airport so I’ll keep you guys updated.
 
User avatar
Cvgspotter15
Posts: 359
Joined: Sat May 13, 2017 6:14 pm

Re: The Rest Of Ohio - 2017

Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:04 am

AirportRival wrote:
The only charter flight on Saturday that I know of is just that, a charter. It's not a test flight nor is it going to lead to an announcement. I don't know which of the spotters told you that but that isn't even remotely true. Unless there is a surprise charter that I don't know (which isn't likely) then I think you got told a lie.


Alright, as I said I never said it was valid.
 
User avatar
AirportRival
Posts: 378
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:24 pm

Re: The Rest Of Ohio - 2017

Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:09 am

I'll tell you the airline, it's Cayman Airways. It'll be a B738. It'll be coming from and going to GCM.
A319, A320, A321, B1900F, B737-300, B737-400, B737-400F, B737-700, B737-800, B757-200, B757-200F, B767-200F, B767-300F, CRJ-200, CRJ-700, ERJ-145, E-170, E-175, MD-80, SD3-60F
 
maxreds19
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:49 pm

Re: The Rest Of Ohio - 2017

Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:56 am

The reason Cayman Airways would fly a 738 to GCM Saturday and back on the 23rd is because the UC Bearcats have a basketball tournament there Mon-Wed. I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with future service at CVG.
 
cvgComair
Posts: 2040
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:48 pm

Re: The Rest Of Ohio - 2017

Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:03 pm

October stats are out, YTD up 16% with 6,559,509 pax, 18% increase for YOY October. Cargo is up 25% with 830,097 tons YTD, which is already bigger than all of 2016 combined. 2017 should round out with quite impressive numbers!
 
brooklynchris13
Posts: 261
Joined: Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:11 am

Re: The Rest Of Ohio - 2017

Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:31 pm

DeltaRules wrote:
AS added PIT-SEA.

This makes CMH the largest market with no SEA nonstop now, right?

CMHMarc787 wrote:
DeltaRules wrote:

They could also be going to B36. It'd be a bit of a hike, but NW had their counter in roughly that same position and used B35 and B36.


This is going to be a bit wordy...but please just go with me.

I would suggest doing to B32 what they've done at B22/24/26; take one door and make three jetways; you could then renumber gates (eliminate B30's need to walk onto the tarmac in-order to access AC planes, and move it to B31 [making it now B30])...B31/31/33 would be the tri-gate). With this you can have UA/AC operate solely on the northside of B terminal, and freeing up B34 for F9, or NX. Add a jetway back to B36 and you would then have the ULCC's all in one area.

Just my $.02


No, i'm with you there. I just hadn't thought of a triple.

cledaybuck wrote:
I thought NK was supposed to be a ULCC? Fares on CMH-MYR are currently at $155 one way this summer. That's over $1,000 for my family of 3 once extras like baggage are added in. I doubt they are going to get too many people out of their cars with those prices (I know I won't).


I've seen F9 in the mid-hundreds one-way, too.


Playing around with Florida destinations though, the prices in June seem to have dropped considerably. TPA, MCO, RSW and FLL all appear to be around $250 R/T, which is not bad for that period. Even peak Spring Break in March is under $300 R/T to FL.

As far as the person above that proclaimed Sprit will never really add anything to CMH above what they are starting with, does anyone else really think that is realistic? I still remember the enthusiasm that greeted People Express here so I think there is potential for a ULCC that can maintain an effective operation in CMH. It may take a little time, but I can not see a reason why Spirt or even F9 if they wanted to, could not make a pretty strong push into a market that is growing somewhat consistently, has a decent catchment area, and increasing interest nationally. Sadly (or fortunately depending on your perspective) CMH is not a huge destination itself, so this will likely have to be outbound interest. But, in time, I think it is a little presumptuous to dismiss even the possibility of NK adding 3, 4 or 5 new destinations. After all, what did Southwest start here with and what are they up to today?
"Be the change you want to see in the world" (mg)
 
cledaybuck
Posts: 1392
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:07 pm

Re: The Rest Of Ohio - 2017

Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:00 pm

brooklynchris13 wrote:
DeltaRules wrote:
AS added PIT-SEA.

This makes CMH the largest market with no SEA nonstop now, right?

CMHMarc787 wrote:

This is going to be a bit wordy...but please just go with me.

I would suggest doing to B32 what they've done at B22/24/26; take one door and make three jetways; you could then renumber gates (eliminate B30's need to walk onto the tarmac in-order to access AC planes, and move it to B31 [making it now B30])...B31/31/33 would be the tri-gate). With this you can have UA/AC operate solely on the northside of B terminal, and freeing up B34 for F9, or NX. Add a jetway back to B36 and you would then have the ULCC's all in one area.

Just my $.02


No, i'm with you there. I just hadn't thought of a triple.

cledaybuck wrote:
I thought NK was supposed to be a ULCC? Fares on CMH-MYR are currently at $155 one way this summer. That's over $1,000 for my family of 3 once extras like baggage are added in. I doubt they are going to get too many people out of their cars with those prices (I know I won't).


I've seen F9 in the mid-hundreds one-way, too.


Playing around with Florida destinations though, the prices in June seem to have dropped considerably. TPA, MCO, RSW and FLL all appear to be around $250 R/T, which is not bad for that period. Even peak Spring Break in March is under $300 R/T to FL.

As far as the person above that proclaimed Sprit will never really add anything to CMH above what they are starting with, does anyone else really think that is realistic? I still remember the enthusiasm that greeted People Express here so I think there is potential for a ULCC that can maintain an effective operation in CMH. It may take a little time, but I can not see a reason why Spirt or even F9 if they wanted to, could not make a pretty strong push into a market that is growing somewhat consistently, has a decent catchment area, and increasing interest nationally. Sadly (or fortunately depending on your perspective) CMH is not a huge destination itself, so this will likely have to be outbound interest. But, in time, I think it is a little presumptuous to dismiss even the possibility of NK adding 3, 4 or 5 new destinations. After all, what did Southwest start here with and what are they up to today?
It may not be bad, but it is not that great. You can fly WN for the same price (or less!) to MCO in June (I didn't check all of the others). Why would I choose NK over WN?
 
NoTime
Posts: 570
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2015 2:21 am

Re: The Rest Of Ohio - 2017

Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:18 pm

cledaybuck wrote:
It may not be bad, but it is not that great. You can fly WN for the same price (or less!) to MCO in June (I didn't check all of the others). Why would I choose NK over WN?


Well, I think your original post mentioned MYR. Good luck finding a WN flight to MYR.

As for MCO - I don't know. Days/Times, perhaps?
 
DeltaRules
Posts: 4899
Joined: Sat Sep 01, 2001 11:57 am

Re: The Rest Of Ohio - 2017

Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:30 pm

brooklynchris13 wrote:
DeltaRules wrote:
AS added PIT-SEA.

This makes CMH the largest market with no SEA nonstop now, right?

CMHMarc787 wrote:

This is going to be a bit wordy...but please just go with me.

I would suggest doing to B32 what they've done at B22/24/26; take one door and make three jetways; you could then renumber gates (eliminate B30's need to walk onto the tarmac in-order to access AC planes, and move it to B31 [making it now B30])...B31/31/33 would be the tri-gate). With this you can have UA/AC operate solely on the northside of B terminal, and freeing up B34 for F9, or NX. Add a jetway back to B36 and you would then have the ULCC's all in one area.

Just my $.02


No, i'm with you there. I just hadn't thought of a triple.

cledaybuck wrote:
I thought NK was supposed to be a ULCC? Fares on CMH-MYR are currently at $155 one way this summer. That's over $1,000 for my family of 3 once extras like baggage are added in. I doubt they are going to get too many people out of their cars with those prices (I know I won't).


I've seen F9 in the mid-hundreds one-way, too.


Playing around with Florida destinations though, the prices in June seem to have dropped considerably. TPA, MCO, RSW and FLL all appear to be around $250 R/T, which is not bad for that period. Even peak Spring Break in March is under $300 R/T to FL.

As far as the person above that proclaimed Sprit will never really add anything to CMH above what they are starting with, does anyone else really think that is realistic? I still remember the enthusiasm that greeted People Express here so I think there is potential for a ULCC that can maintain an effective operation in CMH. It may take a little time, but I can not see a reason why Spirt or even F9 if they wanted to, could not make a pretty strong push into a market that is growing somewhat consistently, has a decent catchment area, and increasing interest nationally. Sadly (or fortunately depending on your perspective) CMH is not a huge destination itself, so this will likely have to be outbound interest. But, in time, I think it is a little presumptuous to dismiss even the possibility of NK adding 3, 4 or 5 new destinations. After all, what did Southwest start here with and what are they up to today?


Aside from the fact they failed in under a year, look at Skybus. They were considered quirky at the time (the horror of $5 checked bags...), but I think every flight I ever took with them was packed.

I look at what G4 has done at LCK- they started with SFB and PIE and have added eight more destinations in five years, and I could see more coming. F9 has added RSW, TPA, and AUS and only permanently cut PHL, I didn't know what to expect out of them this time after they pulled out following the YX merger (they ran MCI and MKE at the time), then came back only to abruptly pull up stakes in favor of the CLE and CVG bandwagons, but they came back with four destinations and seem to at least be trying.

NK's start is both ambitious and impressive. I could see them adding if things go well.
A310/319/320/321/333, ARJ, BN2, B717/722/73S/733/734/735/73G/738/739/744/757/753/767/763/764/777, CR1/2/7/9, DH6, 328, EM2/ERJ/E70/E75/E90, F28/100, J31, L10/12/15, DC9/D93/D94/D95/M80/M88/M90/D10, SF3, SST
 
cledaybuck
Posts: 1392
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:07 pm

Re: The Rest Of Ohio - 2017

Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:41 pm

NoTime wrote:
cledaybuck wrote:
It may not be bad, but it is not that great. You can fly WN for the same price (or less!) to MCO in June (I didn't check all of the others). Why would I choose NK over WN?


Well, I think your original post mentioned MYR. Good luck finding a WN flight to MYR.

As for MCO - I don't know. Days/Times, perhaps?
I did mention MYR, but my point was how is NK going to draw customers at those prices? Google maps puts Columbus to Myrtle Beach at 9.5 hours. Most Ohioans are going to drive this unless you give them a compelling reason not to. At those prices, a family of four plus two checked bags (no carry ons) and one set of golf clubs would cost $1420!
 
jplatts
Posts: 2514
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:42 pm

Re: The Rest Of Ohio - 2017

Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:14 pm

cvgComair wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:
Cvgspotter15 wrote:
So apparently a “new airline” is operating two charter flights on Saturday at CVG for some test and then announcing service on a small schedule. I heard this from some spotters and I’m not sure if this is valid. Thoughts?

SY?

That was my initial thought as well. They had two flights come to CVG last weekend, not sure what their purpose was, but they seem to have a charter flight come every few weeks.

What precedence is their for airlines running "test-flights" before adding service? It seems kind of odd, especially given SY previously announced non-MSP services would begin in the mid-2018 summer, which is quite a ways from now, I would not think they would need test flights for a little while yet.


There have been cases in the past where an airline had flown one of its planes to a potential new destination prior to starting regularly scheduled service, and as an example, Virgin America did fly one of its planes to Dallas Love Field prior to starting regularly scheduled service at Dallas Love Field when it was seeking to serve Dallas Love Field after the repeal of the Wright Amendment on October 13, 2014. Sun Country flying one of its planes to CVG prior to starting regularly scheduled service at CVG would be similar to what Virgin America did when it flew one of its planes to DAL prior to starting regularly scheduled service out of DAL.
 
Briancw
Posts: 65
Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:55 pm

Re: The Rest Of Ohio - 2017

Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:51 pm

If I remember correctly, Skybus had a secondary airport it flew to near Seattle/Vancouver. Outside of that, has CMH ever had a non-stop to SEA? I can't recall one...

And I wish someone would turn the power switch to the jplatts bot "off"...
 
jplatts
Posts: 2514
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:42 pm

Re: The Rest Of Ohio - 2017

Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:13 pm

Briancw wrote:
If I remember correctly, Skybus had a secondary airport it flew to near Seattle/Vancouver. Outside of that, has CMH ever had a non-stop to SEA? I can't recall one...


Skybus used to serve BLI, which is located in Bellingham, WA. BLI is also located 94 miles north of Downtown Seattle, 20 miles south of the Canadian border, and 52 miles south of Vancouver, BC.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos