tom11
Topic Author

Scheduling Anomaly - BDL to DCA

Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:37 am

When looking at booking a flight from Hartford, CT (BDL) to Washington, DC (DCA) for a weekend in May, I noticed an odd scheduling situation.

American Airlines/Eagle normally operates between 6 and 7 non-stop flights a day between Hartford and DCA -- so imagine my surprise when I put in the date of Saturday, May 13 and found no non-stop flights between BDL and DCA. Confused, I checked flights for the previous day - Friday, May 12. Sure enough, 7 flights that Friday. When I looked for the day after, Sunday, May 14 I again saw no non-stop flights. But looking at the following day, Monday, May 15 it showed 7 flights again. Now -- many airlines do reduce flights on weekends, especially Saturday's. I wouldn't have been surprised to see less flights -- but to see none -- that didn't seem to make any sense, especially as we were going into peak summer season. In addition, going from 7 flights on weekday's to 0 on weekends is extremely odd reduction, not matched by other airports in the area like ALB, PVD, MHT, or BOS.

Confused, I looked further into it. Looking at flights from DCA to BDL on Friday night, I noticed there is a 11:30pm ET arrival from DCA on an E175. With no more departures that night, logic would say that the E175 will RON at BDL, and depart the next day. Looking at the Saturday AA schedules -- there seems to be nowhere for it to depart to, however: LAX, MIA, and CLT are all mainline, ORD's morning flight is mainline, and both PHL flights are on RON aircraft from PHL that came in the night before (one E175 and one CRJ2).

In addition, the Monday morning BDL - DCA flight is an E175 that departs at 6am ET. Now -- E175's don't just appear out of thin air, so that plane would have to come from somewhere, and it doesn't appear to come from anywhere on Sunday night. The only solution here would be that the E175 that came in Friday night is sitting on the ground at BDL not being utilized until Monday morning -- but that seems like terrible aircraft utilization.

I noticed that the weekend DCA flights disappear on the weekend of April 8/9 -- they are in the schedule for the weekend of April 1/2. This same situation appears every weekend after April 1/2 through the end of 2017, it appears.

I did speak to a very nice AA reservations person who seemed to be as confused as me -- but offered no solution and said that they would "investigate" the issue further.

What gives?

jetblueguy22

Re: Scheduling Anomaly - BDL to DCA

Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:47 am

It's 5 months out. The finished schedule just isn't loaded yet.
Look at sweatpants guy. This is a 90 million dollar aircraft, not a Tallahassee strip club

qcpilotxf

Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:48 am

I just checked Sabre, there are not flights on the weekends there. May is a notoriously slow month, its possible that they just cut the weekend flying to DCA because its traditionally low traffic, as are most business oriented routes on the weekends in the north-east.

Edit: I also agree with above... schedule isn't finalized yet^^^

tom11
Topic Author

Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:51 am

jetblueguy22 wrote:

This starts in April -- just over 90 days out.

qcpilotxf wrote:
I just checked Sabre, there are not flights on the weekends there. May is a notoriously slow month, its possible that they just cut the weekend flying to DCA because its traditionally low traffic, as are most business oriented routes on the weekends in the north-east.

This appears to go from April thru year end-2017. Right -- but smaller stations like PVD, ALB, and MHT keep DCA? And the E175 sitting for 3 nights not doing any flying? May is slow -- but if you can fill 7 planes on Friday and Monday you can surely fill at least a couple on Saturday and Sunday.

bdlflyer

Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:35 am

One has to wonder if B6 nonstop BDL-DCA service is having some affect or impact?
Bradley International Airport (BDL) | Gateway to New England | ❤️ Love The Journey | New England's second largest airport

deltaffindfw

Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:41 am

Maybe they don't see the need. DL doesn't fly CVG-DFW on Saturdays. They fly it every other day.

CairnterriAIR

Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:37 am

What the first poster said. Schedule is not finished being loaded. There may be a few of those flights that don't fly on Saturday, but there will not be zero service. Way too busy of a route.

jetblueguy22

Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:28 pm

tom11 wrote:
jetblueguy22 wrote:

This starts in April -- just over 90 days out.

qcpilotxf wrote:

This appears to go from April thru year end-2017. Right -- but smaller stations like PVD, ALB, and MHT keep DCA? And the E175 sitting for 3 nights not doing any flying? May is slow -- but if you can fill 7 planes on Friday and Monday you can surely fill at least a couple on Saturday and Sunday.

I've had Delta flights changed at 30 days out. Still plenty of time
Look at sweatpants guy. This is a 90 million dollar aircraft, not a Tallahassee strip club

bdlflyer

Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:37 pm

tom11 wrote:
When looking at booking a flight from Hartford, CT (BDL) to Washington, DC (DCA) for a weekend in May, I noticed an odd scheduling situation.

American Airlines/Eagle normally operates between 6 and 7 non-stop flights a day between Hartford and DCA -- so imagine my surprise when I put in the date of Saturday, May 13 and found no non-stop flights between BDL and DCA. Confused, I checked flights for the previous day - Friday, May 12. Sure enough, 7 flights that Friday. When I looked for the day after, Sunday, May 14 I again saw no non-stop flights. But looking at the following day, Monday, May 15 it showed 7 flights again. Now -- many airlines do reduce flights on weekends, especially Saturday's. I wouldn't have been surprised to see less flights -- but to see none -- that didn't seem to make any sense, especially as we were going into peak summer season. In addition, going from 7 flights on weekday's to 0 on weekends is extremely odd reduction, not matched by other airports in the area like ALB, PVD, MHT, or BOS.

Confused, I looked further into it. Looking at flights from DCA to BDL on Friday night, I noticed there is a 11:30pm ET arrival from DCA on an E175. With no more departures that night, logic would say that the E175 will RON at BDL, and depart the next day. Looking at the Saturday AA schedules -- there seems to be nowhere for it to depart to, however: LAX, MIA, and CLT are all mainline, ORD's morning flight is mainline, and both PHL flights are on RON aircraft from PHL that came in the night before (one E175 and one CRJ2).

In addition, the Monday morning BDL - DCA flight is an E175 that departs at 6am ET. Now -- E175's don't just appear out of thin air, so that plane would have to come from somewhere, and it doesn't appear to come from anywhere on Sunday night. The only solution here would be that the E175 that came in Friday night is sitting on the ground at BDL not being utilized until Monday morning -- but that seems like terrible aircraft utilization.

I noticed that the weekend DCA flights disappear on the weekend of April 8/9 -- they are in the schedule for the weekend of April 1/2. This same situation appears every weekend after April 1/2 through the end of 2017, it appears.

I did speak to a very nice AA reservations person who seemed to be as confused as me -- but offered no solution and said that they would "investigate" the issue further.

What gives?

Just booked BDL- DCA Friday 04-14-2017 and Sunday DCA-BDL 04-16-2017. Sunday 04-16-2017 is showing 6 nonstop DCA-BDL so it seems that the schedule wasn't loaded at the time you viewed.
Bradley International Airport (BDL) | Gateway to New England | ❤️ Love The Journey | New England's second largest airport

jetmatt777

Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:30 pm

Anything 3 months out or greater is essentially a rough draft. There are open ends, bad connection times, and equipment issues that will be ironed out. I wouldn't put too much concern on it.
Lighten up while you still can, don't even try to understand, just find a place to make your stand and take it easy

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos