flyingdoc787
Topic Author

Airport in two time zones?!

Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:35 am

I just read an article by Ken Jennings in Condé Nast Traveller posted today (January 3, 2017) about how the Gold Coast's Twin Towns are able to celebrate New Year's twice. The two cities of Tweed Heads and Coolangatta are in different time zones during the Australian summer, with Tweed Heads (New South Wales) being one hour ahead of Coolangatta (Queensland). That piqued my curiosity, so I checked it out on Google Maps, and sure enough, I noticed that Gold Coast Airport lies on the state line. Most of the terminal building is in Queensland, and half of the runway is in each state!
I've heard of airports in two different countries (e.g. Geneva), but are there any other airports in two different time zones?

flyingturtle

Re: Airport in two time zones?!

Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:04 am

flyingdoc787 wrote:
I've heard of airports in two different countries (e.g. Geneva), but are there any other airports in two different time zones?

Interesting question. Googling doesn't give me any other such airports. Perhaps many airports are in two time zones, when crew use UTC instead of local time. :biggrin:

GVA, by the way, is 100% in Switzerland. They even made a land swap so the extended runway is fully located in Switzerland. Only the customs stuff is different from most other airports. (BSL, on the other hand, is fully in France, but again part of the airport is Swiss "territory" for customs purposes.)

David
Reading accident reports is what calms me down

scandinavian590

Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:59 am

flyingturtle wrote:
flyingdoc787 wrote:

Interesting question. Googling doesn't give me any other such airports. Perhaps many airports are in two time zones, when crew use UTC instead of local time. :biggrin:

GVA, by the way, is 100% in Switzerland. They even made a land swap so the extended runway is fully located in Switzerland. Only the customs stuff is different from most other airports. (BSL, on the other hand, is fully in France, but again part of the airport is Swiss "territory" for customs purposes.)

David

You mean EuroAirport Basel-Mulhouse-Freiburg. That one has a special French-Swiss status.

jsfr

Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:41 pm

I've flown twice from OOL, called them a lot of times to make sure I had my flight times... annoyingly worriesome...

I always thought (before Switzerland joined Schengen) that the high fenced road Under the runway to the "French" terminal was part of France. I often rented a car on the French side as it was cheaper and had to go via that road/tunnel before doing a U-turn to pass through the immigration checkpoint and drive back through the tunnel on the other side of the fence.....

flyingturtle

Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:04 pm

scandinavian590 wrote:
You mean EuroAirport Basel-Mulhouse-Freiburg. That one has a special French-Swiss status.

I visit that airport every few weeks... just to hang around a bit.

jsfr wrote:
I always thought (before Switzerland joined Schengen) that the high fenced road Under the runway to the "French" terminal was part of France.

Part of the French customs area, perhaps, but not French territory. So when buying something on that area, you pay the French taxes, and when importing goods from within that area, you may have to pay customs duties.

David
Reading accident reports is what calms me down

Joelatbsl

Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:17 pm

Said fenced road has been the source of many amusing stories during long spotting days at GVA ... seems that occasionally people get or at least feel quite lost there ... :D

bmacleod

Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:30 pm

As far as I know - no major US or Canadian airports in two time zones but likely a few regional airports located very close to or on time zone borders.
"What good are wings without the courage to fly?" - Atticus

MaxTrimm

Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:43 pm

See Yuma Airport in Arizona. Within a couple miles at most

c933103

Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:46 pm

As Xinjiang in China is a region where two timezones are used simultaneously so it can be argued that all the airports in Xinjiang are "airports in two timezones"
The message in signature have been removed according to demand.

Joelatbsl

Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:16 pm

There was actually a time when countries around Europe introduced daylight saving during summer time - except Switzerland. So with the before-mentioned bilateral agreements in place already in the late 70s, BSL/MLH (Euroairport Basel-Mulhouse) as well as GVA would have had two clock regimes in place at the same time then ... :D

PDX88

Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:20 pm

bmacleod wrote:
As far as I know - no major US or Canadian airports in two time zones but likely a few regional airports located very close to or on time zone borders.

I used to work at MAF, and passengers would leave home in New Mexico to fly out of Midland, crossing from the Mountain to Central time zone. They'd show up at the airport thinking their flight left in 45 minutes, when it left 15 minutes ago because they didn't take the time change into account. It happened fairly often, never charged anyone for a rebooking (unless they got irrationally angry and tried to blame the airline) because it's an unusual thing to take into account when buying a ticket.

BNAOWB

Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:08 am

bmacleod wrote:

In North America, IFP (Laughlin/Bullhead) could be closest commercial airport to a time zone border. Its western fence appears to be 1000 feet from the MST-PST border in the Colorado River.

DFW789ER

Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:47 am

Interesting. While I knew the airport is on a state line, I didn't realize Queensland doesn't observe DST. Much more confusing to me is that Australian Central Western time is 30 minutes behind eastern and 1:30 ahead of western. I guess living there make it easier for people to get adjusted to.

XAM2175

Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:22 am

The old joke when flying into Queensland (usually BNE) from the likes of SYD or MEL during summer was "Welcome to Brisbane. You'll need now to set your watches back by one hour... and twenty years".

Another oddity of the DST change between Qld and NSW is that the CountryLink train service between Brisbane and Sydney is operated by the NSW government and so the timetable is adjusted for DST, moving the BNE arrival and departure time back and forward by an hour relative to the intrastate services.

Qantas16

Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:36 am

DFW789ER wrote:
Interesting. While I knew the airport is on a state line, I didn't realize Queensland doesn't observe DST. Much more confusing to me is that Australian Central Western time is 30 minutes behind eastern and 1:30 ahead of western. I guess living there make it easier for people to get adjusted to.

It gets more confusing because South Australia has daylight savings so in summer is 30minutes ahead of Queensland, even though ADL is much further west than BNE.

pzurita1

Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:53 pm

Guerrero Negro in Baja, Mexico comes to my mind. The city it serves is in Baja California Sur state. However, the airport is located 4kms north, in Baja California State. Both states have different time zones. Baja California has Pacific time (similar to LAX) while Baja California Sur has Mountain time. The airport is very small receiving only four or five daily flights (AereoCalafia and Aeroservicios Guerrero). And it is a good place to arrive in order to visit the gray whales in the surrounding bays.

So, though the airport is not actually divided by two time zones, it is in a different time zone as the city is serves.
Next flight: IAH-DBX-MRU-ANT

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos