BayAreaFlyer
Topic Author

SMF vying for low-cost carriers

Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:16 pm

From the Sacramento Bee,

A new lease deal for air carriers at SMF could help the airport lure low-cost airlines. SMF has been in talks with G4, F9 and NK to offer possible additional air service to Sacramento this year.

http://www.sacbee.com/news/local/transportation/article119307238.html#storylink=cpy

DesertAir

Re: SMF vying for low-cost carriers

Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:39 pm

I am happy to see this development. I am a monthly flyer into SMF and would like to see lower fares. SMF serves not only Sacramento but San Joaquin County to the south and the foothill communities. I would like to see some Jet Blue expansion as well as Frontier.

DCA-ROCguy

Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:59 pm

Good for the current SMF administration. $14 per passenger will probably still be high for a medium-size airport seeking ULCC service, but it'll be an improvement over $18. Terminal B is a ridiculous Taj Mahal for 19 gates at a medium-size airport--a remote concourse and people mover?? Really? When the real estate would clearly have fit something more reasonable, like, I don't know, a slightly larger duplicate of Terminal A??

Anyway, best wishes to SMF in trying to get ULCC's. Southwest isn't low-cost and low-fare anymore, so if you want low-fare stimulation, ULCC's are the next step.

Jim
Need a new airline paint scheme? Better call Saul! (Bass that is)

ahj2000

Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:37 pm

I hope they throw the ULCCs into A and move the FSCs to B if this happens...
-Andrés Juánez

FATFlyer

Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:32 am

On the other side though, SCK has been in discussions with Volaris about Mexico service. I'm not sure Volaris would operate from both SMF and SCK if that happened.

SCK has funding and is looking at a $4 million dollar 16,500 sq ft modular construction FIS.
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness." - Mark Twain

yeginleduc

Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:57 am

Terminal A is faster to get to the gate from the Daily A lot. I agree with the previous comment in saying Terminal B is way too much for a medium airport and Southwest. Extending Terminal A would have made more sense to me as you can have shared amenities on both sides of security.

On a side note - where do you get parking for less then $10/$12 a day at SMF or where do you find discount coupons for the airport lots? I spent a fortune over Christmas cause they dont seem to have the park and shuttle options that most other airports have.

flyfresno

Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:15 am

DCA-ROCguy wrote:
Good for the current SMF administration. $14 per passenger will probably still be high for a medium-size airport seeking ULCC service, but it'll be an improvement over $18. Terminal B is a ridiculous Taj Mahal for 19 gates at a medium-size airport--a remote concourse and people mover?? Really? When the real estate would clearly have fit something more reasonable, like, I don't know, a slightly larger duplicate of Terminal A??

Totally agree. Looks like this airport lost the bet that a "Taj Mahal" would be good for attracting airlines when, in reality, a more modest addition and the resulting lower PFCs would have gotten them much further...

dc10lover

Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:52 am

I bet politics played a roll in building the "Taj Mahal" and politicians were payed off. Like all airports, only demand will bring in more service.
Why endure the nightmare and congestion of LAX when BUR, LGB, ONT & SNA is so much easier to fly in and out of. Same with OAK & SJC when it comes to SFO.

Prost

Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:55 am

Many on this board bemoan that US cities don't dream big when building their airports, and when they do, they complain that per passenger enplanement costs are too high.

I can see why we don't have better politicians.

flyfresno

Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:19 am

Prost wrote:
Many on this board bemoan that US cities don't dream big when building their airports, and when they do, they complain that per passenger enplanement costs are too high.

I can see why we don't have better politicians.

I don't think anyone is complaining about the actual gate area in terminal B, and I don't think anyone would be complaining if they had added a few more gates beyond that. However, the ticketing area and the ridiculous monorail are extravagant luxuries that do nothing for capacity. They're just there to look nice. Terminal A is a beautiful facility and the city certainly "dreamed big" with that. But they went off the deep end when they designed terminal B.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos