Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

SpaceshipDC10
Topic Author

Air Transat to start YUL-TLV

Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:14 am

The route will be served twice weekly with an A332 from mid-June till the end of October. Frankly, I didn't see this coming.

http://www.routesonline.com/news/38/air ... june-2017/

b747400erf

Re: Air Transat to start YUL-TLV

Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:26 am

Why not Toronto, more tech and biotech friendly city right?

tlvflyguy

Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:43 am

b747400erf wrote:
Why not Toronto, more tech and biotech friendly city right?

YYZ is already served by AC and LY. Perhaps they decided their chances are smaller there.

usflyer123

Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:22 am

Wow thats a surprise, although a smart move! Many jews live in Montreal area, which generates alot of VFR traffic, but not that much corporate relations so I guess Air Transat is the perfect carrier for that route. I do wonder if AC will strike back and launch YUL-TLV with Rouge.
for most people the sky is the limit. for those who love aviation, the sky is home...

Thenoflyzone

Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:09 pm

With AC eating away at TS's market share to Europe, Transat needs to get bolder with their strategy on long haul. Seems this is it.

AC has identified YUL-TLV as a possible future route, so this is a preemptive strike by Transat.
us Air Traffic Controllers have a good record, we haven't left one up there yet !!

lesfalls

Sat Jan 07, 2017 4:52 pm

Does is route also have to do with the increase of people moving to Israel? I have heard numbers have been going up since the attacks in Paris.
Lufthansa: Einfach ein bisschen besser.

Thenoflyzone

Sat Jan 07, 2017 4:55 pm

The attacks in Europe (or terrorism in general) have nothing to do with TS launching YUL-TLV. I don't think the Jews in Montreal are leaving Canada by the droves. This is purely a VFR and tourist route. They should be able to fill the plane quite easily. I think the market is there from YUL to TLV. Let's see if the yields will be there too. Hopefully the route succeeds and sticks around.
us Air Traffic Controllers have a good record, we haven't left one up there yet !!

Skywatcher

Sat Jan 07, 2017 5:43 pm

ElAl flew to YUL for years back in the eighties and nineties. There is a market for sure, particularly amongst the relatively large YUL Hasidic community I would think.

SCQ83

Sat Jan 07, 2017 6:17 pm

Thenoflyzone wrote:
The attacks in Europe (or terrorism in general) have nothing to do with TS launching YUL-TLV. I don't think the Jews in Montreal are leaving Canada by the droves..

But more French Jews are moving to (French-speaking) Quebec. So indirectly this has something to do with the attacks.

yowza

Sat Jan 07, 2017 6:23 pm

SCQ83 wrote:
Thenoflyzone wrote:
The attacks in Europe (or terrorism in general) have nothing to do with TS launching YUL-TLV. I don't think the Jews in Montreal are leaving Canada by the droves..

But more French Jews are moving to (French-speaking) Quebec. So indirectly this has something to do with the attacks.

That's a real stretch.

I seem to recall AC running YMX/YUL-LHR-TLV some years back. Am I mistaken? I recall flying either YYZ or YMX to LHR with the flight continuing on to TLV. Somehow I don't see AC sitting idly by. Perhaps a Rouge offering YUL-TLV?

SpaceshipDC10
Topic Author

Sat Jan 07, 2017 6:47 pm

Thenoflyzone wrote:
With AC eating away at TS's market share to Europe, Transat needs to get bolder with their strategy on long haul. Seems this is it.

Where next?

Thenoflyzone wrote:
AC has identified YUL-TLV as a possible future route

I wonder whether they'll make it happen sooner?

1900Driver

Sat Jan 07, 2017 6:59 pm

Wow! Very surprising! Wonder which tour operator they will be working will with in Israel?

drgmobile

Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:10 pm

As a consumer, I love to see a little competition on this route. Air Canada's nonstop from Toronto is fantastic. One of my favorite flights. My sense is that they have a solid route there. The fares are quite reasonable and comparable to other long haul routes on AC although it is an expensive destination for frequent flyer tickets. There should be room for another carrier.

YYZSpotter1991

Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:59 am

The late-90s were probably most recent time there were direct connections between Montreal and Tel Aviv. I myself flew from YYZ-TLV with a stopover in YUL round trip on my first flight to Israel in 1998 with LY; aboard a 742 over there and a 762 heading back home.
Toronto-based flyer since 1997

aemoreira1981

Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:01 am

SCQ83 wrote:
Thenoflyzone wrote:

Montreal's Jewish population is now close to 100,000, with about 10,000 Jews having fled France for Montreal in the past few years. I have to wonder if LY might consider a TLV-YUL-YYZ-TLV winter-seasonal triangular route and a TLV-YUL terminator route in the summer season to handle demand. Conditions appear ripe to add service to Montreal if there are planes available; a 767-300ER could do this route and also provide a second competitor to Air Transat. The El Al brand is very significant among Jewish people and they very often sell out flights. The triangular routing in winter would eliminate any weight restriction.

whywhyzee

Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:03 am

aemoreira1981 wrote:
SCQ83 wrote:
Thenoflyzone wrote:

Montreal's Jewish population is now close to 100,000, with about 10,000 Jews having fled France for Montreal in the past few years. I have to wonder if LY might consider a TLV-YUL-YYZ-TLV winter-seasonal triangular route and a TLV-YUL terminator route in the summer season to handle demand. Conditions appear ripe to add service to Montreal if there are planes available; a 767-300ER could do this route and also provide a second competitor to Air Transat. The El Al brand is very significant among Jewish people and they very often sell out flights. The triangular routing in winter would eliminate any weight restriction.

That would be contingent on EL AL having the frames available (which they don't) and YYZ being able to support another TLV service. The current flights are quite popular from what I understand, I can't reasonably see an eventuality where they would sacrifice their competitiveness with AC just to start another route which would fragment their offering.

Dominion301

Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:30 pm

SCQ83 wrote:
Thenoflyzone wrote:

That might be true, however, +95% of all Jews in Quebec are anglophones. This route should work well for Transat. AC used to fly YUL-TLV twice weekly. They never had a problem with filling the flights, the problem was always the yield on mainline. Now that they have Rouge, I won't be surprised to see AC re-enter YUL-TLV 3x weekly.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos