Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

rbavfan

Re: NY Giants trash UA 767 charter plane last night.

Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:34 am

KLDC10 wrote:
From that article, it sounds like the players had quite the tantrum. It is more unfortunate that fare-paying passengers were delayed as a result of their child-like petulance - I'd be pretty annoyed if that had been my flight.

One question I do have is this: Given the emphasis put on flight safety, and the numerous incidents of airplanes diverting due to poor onboard behavior, why on earth were they allowed to behave so badly without any sort of repercussion? Was it because of their "celebrity" status? If so, that stinks.

The only passengers on a sports charter are the team & personnel, maybe a reporter. There we no delayed fare paying passengers.

enzo011

Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:44 am

rbavfan wrote:
KLDC10 wrote:
From that article, it sounds like the players had quite the tantrum. It is more unfortunate that fare-paying passengers were delayed as a result of their child-like petulance - I'd be pretty annoyed if that had been my flight.

One question I do have is this: Given the emphasis put on flight safety, and the numerous incidents of airplanes diverting due to poor onboard behavior, why on earth were they allowed to behave so badly without any sort of repercussion? Was it because of their "celebrity" status? If so, that stinks.

The only passengers on a sports charter are the team & personnel, maybe a reporter. There we no delayed fare paying passengers.

I believe KLDC10 is referring to the passengers on the subsequent flight that the aircraft was used on that had to be delayed due to the time to get the aircraft prepared for the fare paying flight.

AirstairFear

Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:52 am

b747400erf wrote:
who was reporting that? the same people claiming the uppity athletes trashed the entire plane?

The bit about the seat cushions being carried out was in the article linked in the OP. It was seen by either the gate agent or a passenger from brooklyn; I can't quite tell because of the ambiguous way it was written. Certainly you can count on some exaggeration in all of these claims, but either cushions were carried out of the plane or they weren't. I find it hard to believe it was a complete fabrication.

smokeybandit

Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:59 am

FLIHGH wrote:
Penn State absolutely trashed their 747 that they flew to the Rose Bowl a few weeks ago. The UA cleaners at LAX said it was the dirtiest they had ever seen a plane. I'm not able to post pictures, but it looked like one of those pictures of a plane going through EXTREME turbulence.

In knowing someone who was on this plane, I find this as believable as the report that the Giants trashed their plane.

26point2
Topic Author

Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:57 pm

jetwet1 wrote:
spacecadet wrote:

I'm sure every team charter ends up dirtier than most commercial flights and requires a little extra cleaning - that's part of what the teams are paying the airlines for. UA just got a late start on this one because the plane was pressed back into service earlier than planned.

I've been on an NHL charter (La Kings) and I have to say, they left that plane probably cleaner than when they got on it, though I have to agree with you, in this case if the aircraft had been trashed i'm sure we would have seen pictures by now of the destruction.

Perhaps because many hockey players are Canadian? Canadians...a respectful and polite lot. (Disclaimer: I am not Canadian)

VolvoBus

Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:19 pm

enzo011 wrote:
rbavfan wrote:
KLDC10 wrote:

I believe KLDC10 is referring to the passengers on the subsequent flight that the aircraft was used on that had to be delayed due to the time to get the aircraft prepared for the fare paying flight.

My recollection from the earlier posts was that the transatlantic flight would probably have been delayed anyway as the originally scheduled plane went tech. Would it have been delayed even more waiting for another available plane to have been subbed in ?

Also,I understood that the Giants charter was scheduled for cabin cleaning later in the day,presumably in time for it's next planned operation. How much notice did the cleaning crews have that it was required as a substitute ? and what other work would have had to be deferred ?

Overall,how much attention would this have garnered if the original transatlantic aircraft had not gone tech and operated the flight normally ?

B737900ER

Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:35 pm

AirstairFear wrote:
b747400erf wrote:
who was reporting that? the same people claiming the uppity athletes trashed the entire plane?

The bit about the seat cushions being carried out was in the article linked in the OP. It was seen by either the gate agent or a passenger from brooklyn; I can't quite tell because of the ambiguous way it was written. Certainly you can count on some exaggeration in all of these claims, but either cushions were carried out of the plane or they weren't. I find it hard to believe it was a complete fabrication.

Seat cushions are probably the most changed part on the A/C at UA. The old cloth seats modeled after burlap sacks attract stains and won't let go. Even a stray M&M left on the seat will prompt a change. So hearing there were cushion changes doesn't tell you much

ckfred

Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:44 pm

Professional teams tend to charter larger planes for post-season travel, when compared to regular-season travel. Teams want to take office staff and other employees that might not travel during the regular season, and the press contingent is usually larger.

I seem to recall years ago that Sports Illustrated had an article on what it took to get the Dallas Cowboys from DFW to an away game. At the time, the Cowboys normally took a 727-200 or a 757, depending the flight length and the number of people besides players and coaches who were traveling. But, if the game was during the play-offs, then the AA charter was a 763 or a DC-10.

A friend of mine is a pilot with AA. He worked a Cowboys charter in 1996, flying ORD-DFW after the season openers for the Cowboys at Soldier Field. The Cowboys had won the Super Bowl the prior season, yet they looked terrible against a mediocre Bears team, whose head coach had left the Cowboys during the off-season. My friend tells me that the flight was very quiet, with very little conversation throughout the cabin.

Here's the problem with diverting. If a plane has to divert because of on-board behavior or security concerns, then you will have to call out law enforcement, including Federal agents. Law enforcement will want to question people and possibly take one or more people into custody.

My guess is that United and the Giants will handle the matter privately. We know that the Chicago Cubs reimbursed the Chicago Park District for the damage to the sod on the Grant Park fields at the victory party. So, the Giants might write a check to cover the cost of cleaning the plane and making repairs at EWR.

While there is prestige in being the charter carrier for a pro team, if the team has become a headache, and airline could decline to renew a contract.

FLIHGH

Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:38 pm

smokeybandit wrote:
FLIHGH wrote:
Penn State absolutely trashed their 747 that they flew to the Rose Bowl a few weeks ago. The UA cleaners at LAX said it was the dirtiest they had ever seen a plane. I'm not able to post pictures, but it looked like one of those pictures of a plane going through EXTREME turbulence.

In knowing someone who was on this plane, I find this as believable as the report that the Giants trashed their plane.

I am friends with someone who was on the plane (in First), as well. He's by no means a slob (and one of the most respectful people out there), but, the pictures/videos of the first class cabin I saw absolutely shocked me.

GSPFlyer

Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:39 am

xdlx wrote:
Delta Learned and now has a dedicated charter fleet of A319/20 now going to B757 for Charters. Using a line aircraft with short ground time for a revenue flight after the charter, requires a lot of logistics to get the airplane clean and stocked. Most Charters have NON Standard Catering and Beverage Supplies and they must be stripped prior to re-stocking with line branding.

A319/20 only have enough seats for a small college football team. Most college teams will use a 757 sized plane for regular season games, and widebody planes for bowls, and some (like Notre Dame) use them for regular season charters. NFL teams almost always use a widebody as well.

ikramerica

Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:29 am

Big deal. They pay a cleaning fee and move on. It's UAs fault for cycling an unsanitized post charter aircraft into service too quickly. UA knows the NFL charter biz. They know the planes need extra cleaning afterward. And occasionally things get damaged.

No different than how the team hotel was likely left. And the busses. And the locker room.
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

Freshside3

Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:40 am

GSPFlyer wrote:
xdlx wrote:
Delta Learned and now has a dedicated charter fleet of A319/20 now going to B757 for Charters. Using a line aircraft with short ground time for a revenue flight after the charter, requires a lot of logistics to get the airplane clean and stocked. Most Charters have NON Standard Catering and Beverage Supplies and they must be stripped prior to re-stocking with line branding.

A319/20 only have enough seats for a small college football team. Most college teams will use a 757 sized plane for regular season games, and widebody planes for bowls, and some (like Notre Dame) use them for regular season charters. NFL teams almost always use a widebody as well.

Air Canada has some dedicate planes for charters, with LESS seats in them. I was on the 319 that the Raptors normally use, and was put in as an equipment sub.