Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ahj2000
Topic Author

Could airline service return to Tuscaloosa?

Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:49 am

AA left TCL in 1997, leaving it (and the University of Alabama) with no air service. Could there eventually be service again? It would probably be either Delta Connection to ATL or AA to DFW/CLT/a combination of both.
-Andrés Juánez

BobPatterson

Re: Could airline service return to Tuscaloosa?

Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:05 am

Anything COULD happen. Many potential things will NOT happen. Bama can charter planes. I think you are probably asking about scheduled passenger service? If it made economic sense for some airline to provide even nominal scheduled service it would probably be happening now.

My guess is that without increased market demand for service it probably won't happen.

But who knows, maybe Allegiant or Spirit will someday take a stab at it.
Facts are fragile things. Treat them with care. Sources are important. Alternative facts do not exist.

MaxTrimm

Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:25 am

If it was there, it would be DL to ATL and maybe AA to DFW. Along with that, I'd guess maybe PIE or PGD on Allegiant.
Go Tigers!

bhmdiversion

Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:48 am

Tuscaloosa Newspaper had this back in October... http://www.tuscaloosanews.com/news/2016 ... ir-service

Roll Tide.

bdlflyer

Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:46 pm

With the driving time from Tuscaloosa to Birmingham (BHM) being only one hour and it's a straight shot on I-20; I'm skeptical about any restart in service by AA or DL. I could possibly see (and this is a stretch) GLO providing service to Memphis or New Orleans. Tuscaloosa's disadvantage is it's close proximity to Birmingham (BHM) which has an appropriate service operation that serves a huge catchment area including Tuscaloosa.
Bradley International Airport (BDL) | Gateway to New England | ❤️ Love The Journey | New England's second largest airport

ATLgaUSA

Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:46 pm

Tuscaloosa is only 45 minutes from BHM outside of rush hours and then it's only an hour to an hour and ten minutes away. Mercedes, the only real high travel volume employer in Tuscaloosa County, is fifteen minutes on the Birmingham side of Tuscaloosa. Moreover, the Birmingham Airport has very convenient parking, quick TSA, and a very navigable terminal. In short, Tuscaloosa would never be able to support the frequencies that would be required to stop leaking the vast majority of its traffic to Birmingham.