readytotaxi
Topic Author

A United Cyprus Island, any impact on flying?

Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:30 pm

With the UN hoping to get a peace deal in place I was wondering what opportunities it would present to airlines in the future, if any?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-38591590
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!
Growing older, but not up.

rutankrd

Re: A United Cyprus Island, any impact on flying?

Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:20 pm

I think as usual the Greeks in the South will torpedo the plans however in event of genuine federalisation with a Union Cabinet the advantages would be 5B- carriers significantly benefiting in operating costs fuel and time being allowed to traverse Turkish airspace especially on routings to European Baltic and Russian points.

Would Ecran (Tymvou) remain quite probably and it would become an official point of entry.

A new road to East of Nicosia would help - It is much closer than Larnaca and of course Paphos.

Further its not surrounded by those hills of the long abandoned Nicosia airport to west of the city.

Would certainly see flights from Ercan direct to other EU cities with the stop in Istanbul/Antalya/Gaziantep removed and probably a few EU charters picking up the slack.

Like i say though Athens will scupper the process with their certain irrelevant demands (More money perhaps bargaining with the migrant crisis and preferential EU treatment) as they have before.

IMHO only - Certainly political when the South rejected the last treaty then they shouldn't have been rewarded with EU membership and probably wouldn't have but for Athens lobbyists and at the time their threat to veto further Eastern European entrants.

SCQ83

Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:21 pm

I could see Turkish and Pegasus starting IST-LCA and SAW-LCA for connecting passengers to Western Europe.

lancelot07

Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:42 pm

SCQ83 wrote:
I could see Turkish and Pegasus starting IST-LCA and SAW-LCA for connecting passengers to Western Europe.

Connecting from - to ? IST isn't that far away. Cyprus is a fairly cheap tourist destination.
I can't see any benefit at all in all this. It will cost us in the EU lots of money, and factual peace has existed for decades.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos