Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

PartsGuy20
Topic Author

jetBlue's JFK-HYA service

Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:35 pm

For the past two or three years, jetBlue has served HYA direct from JFK during peak season with a daily E190. Last year they stretched the season a little, with Thursday through Monday daily service in the shoulder months. I haven't seen anything announced about their plans this season though. Does anyone have information on their load factors for the previous seasons? Is it a service they plan to continue?

I'm surprised HYA hasn't seen service from other carriers as well. For instance, ACK's direct JFK service from jetBlue begins earlier and ends later than the JFK-HYA route and I believe ACK also sees Republic from DC. All that despite HYA being a large tourist destination in the summer, and having a larger population to draw from in the shoulder months. Surely other carriers could see something of value in HYA service, right? Perhaps from PHL or EWR? BDL? Baltimore/DC area?

I look forward to whatever insight or information you all can share!

SCQ83

Re: jetBlue's JFK-HYA service

Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:47 pm

Nantucket is an island, Hyannis is not.

I assume more people drive to Cape Cod than take the ferry to Nantucket, which is expensive and adds more time. So there is more people willing to fly to ACK than to HYA. That people around Cape Cod will just drive in those "shoulder months" to BOS, PVD or any other major airport.

Said that, I also agree with you, a seasonal JetBlue DCA-HYA wouldn't be that crazy, as JetBlue already serves DCA-ACK already

DCAfan

Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:52 pm

Last summer I flew B6 between DCA and ACK and took the high speed ferry to/from Hyannis. It was cheaper and more fun than flying to BOS and taking the bus to Hyannis.

VS4ever

Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:17 pm

PartsGuy20 wrote:
For the past two or three years, jetBlue has served HYA direct from JFK during peak season with a daily E190. Last year they stretched the season a little, with Thursday through Monday daily service in the shoulder months. I haven't seen anything announced about their plans this season though. Does anyone have information on their load factors for the previous seasons? Is it a service they plan to continue?

I'm surprised HYA hasn't seen service from other carriers as well. For instance, ACK's direct JFK service from jetBlue begins earlier and ends later than the JFK-HYA route and I believe ACK also sees Republic from DC. All that despite HYA being a large tourist destination in the summer, and having a larger population to draw from in the shoulder months. Surely other carriers could see something of value in HYA service, right? Perhaps from PHL or EWR? BDL? Baltimore/DC area?

I look forward to whatever insight or information you all can share!

i have kept track of the weekly OAG threads that enilria produces for New England airports over the last 4 months or so and there has been a lot of movement back and forth on JFK-ACK and JFK-MVY in the last couple of months both on DL and B6, but virtually nothing on HYA, so at this point, the safe assumption is status quo on flight levels for 2017
(my information is collated here:) http://awhitelocks.wixsite.com/newenglandaero/oagreport

As for loads, i've analyzed a rolling 12 months for 14-15 and 15-16 through June based on the T-100 reports, T-100 just released October, but I hold back because i try to do all the stats consistently for International and Domestic and july for international were only released yesterday. Those were 81% for 14-15 and 77% for 15-16, but capacity was significantly increased (56 extra flights for the 15-16 period) through to June.

Just ran the number for July itself and it was 83.4% combined, I don't have my computer with me to give you the July number from last year, but could do that later tonight.

You can see all the numbers i put together for the major routes out of HYA/ACK and MVY if you click on the appropriate link here.
http://awhitelocks.wixsite.com/newengla ... nglandt100

Hope that helps.
That feeling when you sit at the end of a runway, brakes are released and the raw power takes over. Now that is a thing of beauty and it never gets old.

PartsGuy20
Topic Author

Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:23 pm

Thanks all for the replies, especially VS4ever for the detailed information!

It's true that Cape Codders typically drive to PVD or BOS to catch a flight elsewhere but it's not ideal, nor is it cheap. Boston traffic at any time of day could add 30-60 minutes to what should be a 60 minute trip, and even the "economy" parking is up above $20/day now ($25 I think?). To take an Uber is easily over $100, and most people find other options like the bus or Cape Air to be undesirable for various reasons. PVD is much easier to get in and out of than BOS, economy parking is cheaper, etc. but there aren't as many flight options.

I think there could be a real market for year-round HYA service from the New York area. Parking and security are much easier and faster at HYA, so in the same amount of time, with less stress (and maybe even for less money) people could depart right from HYA on a quick hop to an airport that could literally take them anywhere in the world.

As one who has battled Boston traffic at really unusual hours of the day, I'd gladly fly out of HYA. I realize that it probably couldn't support a daily 100-seater, so B6's e190 would be overkill... but surely one of the other regional feeders could benefit.

USAirALB

Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:51 pm

US did HYA-LGA until 2010, when Colgan Air was winding down their ops.

I believe US might have done HYA-BOS/ACK at one point as well.

US used to also do BOS-MVY/ACK and MVY-ACK.
RJ85, F70, E135, E140, E145, E70, E75, E90, CR2, CR7, CR9, 717, 732, 733, 734, 735, 73G, 738, 739, 744ER, 752, 753, 762, 763ER, 772, 77E, 77W, 789, 319, 320, 321, 332, 333, 343, 359, 388

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos