Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

32andBelow
Topic Author

DL68 Divert CDB- Cold Bay Alaska.

Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:01 pm

Middle of the night in a stormy aluetian island. Anyone know what happened?

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/DAL68

Francoflier

Re: DL68 Divert CDB- Cold Bay Alaska.

Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:18 pm

Probably not medical... There is precious little in Cold Bay that could have been a better option for even a very sick person than to continue to ANC.

Then again, I'm not a doctor.

milesaway826

Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:34 pm

It looks like the flight originally landed in King Salmon (AKN). Could there be an error?

910A

Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:34 pm

Maybe Delta should just add Cold Bay to their route map. What is this the 3rd time they landed there. Did they try to land at King Salmon first?

hiflyeras

Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:38 pm

Not good...winter in the Aleutians is brutal. AA had a diversion to Cold Bay back in October of last year...AS helped ferry the customers out to ANC. Wonder if DL will have to ask for assistance. ;)

910A

Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:00 pm

hiflyeras wrote:
Not good...winter in the Aleutians is brutal. AA had a diversion to Cold Bay back in October of last year...AS helped ferry the customers out to ANC. Wonder if DL will have to ask for assistance. ;)

According the Delta.com the ground time is now basically 3 hrs now, it was earlier 90 minutes.

SFOtoORD

Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:13 pm

Looks like DL may be flying a relief 763 in.

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/DAL9936

MSPNWA

Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:38 pm

milesaway826 wrote:
It looks like the flight originally landed in King Salmon (AKN). Could there be an error?

I see it as they were initially attempting to get to AKN. Must have been serious to cut that short and cut left to CDB. Not the time of year you want to be landing in the Aleutians.

clrd4t8koff

Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:45 pm

The airline that touts itself on having the best ops record in the industry seems to be having a lot of mx related issues lately. I just read last night on another popular airline forum how a passenger was traveling last night from MCI-DTW on a 717. Also departing around the same time was another DL 717 flying MCI-SLC. The SLC went mx and DL yanked all the passengers off the DTW after they'd already boarded and gave that plane to the SLC flight, stranding the DTW bound passengers for 4-hours in MCI.

There's been several other incidents, that's just the first that comes to mind on top of this divert to Cold Bay. What's going on with ops at DL?

toobz

Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:57 pm

Wow..a major airline with thousands of flights gets a day had a couple mechanicals lol...Anet these days I tell you. DL is a very safe airline ops wise and runs one of the best mechanical facilities.

Darklord1

Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:01 pm

Delta 9936 on the move from SEA rn just saw it takeoff from here

ASFlyer

Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:05 pm

I'm more confused about the posts that exclaim how desperate they must have been to land in the Aleutians in... the.. .WINTER! Alaska Airlines does it all winter long. So does Penair. The weather can be dicey but airplanes fly in and out regularly all winter. Cold Bay is a logical diversion point if they couldn't make it to ANC.

jbmitt

Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:31 pm

clrd4t8koff wrote:
The airline that touts itself on having the best ops record in the industry seems to be having a lot of mx related issues lately. I just read last night on another popular airline forum how a passenger was traveling last night from MCI-DTW on a 717. Also departing around the same time was another DL 717 flying MCI-SLC. The SLC went mx and DL yanked all the passengers off the DTW after they'd already boarded and gave that plane to the SLC flight, stranding the DTW bound passengers for 4-hours in MCI.

There's been several other incidents, that's just the first that comes to mind on top of this divert to Cold Bay. What's going on with ops at DL?

Who cares? Maybe the SLC flight had another leg, and the DTW flight was a RON. While it must be frustrating for the DTW bound passengers, the SLC bound passengers and any other subsequent flights must have appreciated it. Odds are much greater for an operational spare in DTW or MSP to cover the MCI flight than from SLC.

blueflyer

Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:08 pm

ASFlyer wrote:
I'm more confused about the posts that exclaim how desperate they must have been to land in the Aleutians in... the.. .WINTER! Alaska Airlines does it all winter long. So does Penair. The weather can be dicey but airplanes fly in and out regularly all winter. Cold Bay is a logical diversion point if they couldn't make it to ANC.

I wouldn't be as concerned about the plane as about the passengers. Cold Bay is a different kind of winter than the one most were prepared for.

777PHX

Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:18 pm

blueflyer wrote:
I wouldn't be as concerned about the plane as about the passengers. Cold Bay is a different kind of winter than the one most were prepared for.

Well, it's not like they're going mountain climbing. They'll be on the ground for a few hours at the most.

flyrocoak

Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:29 pm

ASFlyer wrote:

Yeah, I was wondering about that. I checked the weather forecast for Cold Bay, highs are in the 20's, low in the teens- winds averaging around 13mph and no snow forecasted. Doesn't seem too extreme to me.

readytotaxi

Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:44 pm

Food and shelter and a plane on the way, so your day has become an adventure and something to tell the kids. :wave:

clrd4t8koff

Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:21 pm

toobz wrote:
Wow..a major airline with thousands of flights gets a day had a couple mechanicals lol...Anet these days I tell you. DL is a very safe airline ops wise and runs one of the best mechanical facilities.

Nobody is saying or implying that DL isn't a safe airline ops wise. But based upon the fact that DL will take any opportunity possible to tout their "impeccable" ops and yet I see more DL mx posts recently than in recent years. Just a simple observation my friend, not a smear campaign. Relax.

SFOtoORD

Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:24 pm

readytotaxi wrote:
Food and shelter and a plane on the way, so your day has become an adventure and something to tell the kids. :wave:

Exactly! It's not like they emergency landed on some short gravel strip on the North Slope. Pretty sure it's not a big deal. Several other planes in and out of CDB today. Would be a cool experience as long as you weren't in a rush to get somewhere. And even then you'd rather be at CDB than crashing in the Bering Straight.

11725Flyer

Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:24 pm

clrd4t8koff wrote:
What's going on with ops at DL?

An airline as large as Delta flying worldwide is going to have a problem or two. No big deal, although I hope the passengers are on their way shortly.

diverdave

Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:02 pm

SFOtoORD wrote:
readytotaxi wrote:

Exactly! It's not like they emergency landed on some short gravel strip on the North Slope. Pretty sure it's not a big deal. Several other planes in and out of CDB today. Would be a cool experience as long as you weren't in a rush to get somewhere. And even then you'd rather be at CDB than crashing in the Bering Straight.

I was on a flight from EDF to SYA about 10 years ago, and the flight stopped at CDB for a planned fuel stop. Those are 3 airport codes that I expect most folks don't have in their flight histories.

The flight was a turboprop, so it was nice to have a break and get a snack. The planned fuel stop was needed to ensure there was enough fuel to return from SYA if weather conditions did not allow landing there.

Brief blurb below about the diversion:

https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/aviation/2017/01/14/delta-flight-makes-emergency-landing-in-cold-bay/

David

kgaiflyer

Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:36 pm

Lucky finding an old AFB with a 10,000 foot runway so far from Anchorage. Flightaware has the plane taking off at 3:10pm Alaska Standard time -- arriving Portland 7:30 Pacific Standard.

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/DAL6 ... ctivityLog

A little more information about Cold Bay Airport.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cold_Bay_Airport

USAirKid

Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:56 pm

Would passengers have cleared customs in Cold Bay? Or would this wait until they arrive in PDX?

IPFreely

Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:17 pm

ASFlyer wrote:

I think the posts are more about Cold Bay vs. Anchorage than about arctic survival issues. In Anchorage the passengers could deplane via jetbridge, equipment can be used to offload luggage, and passengers can easily be accommodated in local hotels and fed in local restaurants until another plane is available or they can be rebooked on another airline. Housing and feeding 200 stranded passengers is a very different challenge in Cold Bay.

IPFreely

Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:30 pm

clrd4t8koff wrote:
The airline that touts itself on having the best ops record in the industry seems to be having a lot of mx related issues lately.

The first five words of your post explain a lot. DL puts a lot of effort into making up statistics and bragging about their records. But people who read the fine print and realize what they are including and excluding from their statistics quickly realize it's a joke. They are not a bottom-feeder with regard to operations. But they certainly aren't outperforming other airlines as they want you to believe, either. Just remember their system meltdown last year. I think it started very early in the morning -- by noon on day one they were issuing press releases and videos made by executives bragging about how great their response was! I personally know two people who were stranded for 3 days; I think it took Delta the better part of a week to resume normal schedules. How would you feel sitting in an airport halfway around the world from home facing a multi-day delay or trying to buy a same-day ticket on another airline, only to check your email and see you've received a video of a Delta CEO or VP bragging about their great recovery?

ASFlyer

Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:34 pm

IPFreely wrote:
ASFlyer wrote:

I think the posts are more about Cold Bay vs. Anchorage than about arctic survival issues. In Anchorage the passengers could deplane via jetbridge, equipment can be used to offload luggage, and passengers can easily be accommodated in local hotels and fed in local restaurants until another plane is available or they can be rebooked on another airline. Housing and feeding 200 stranded passengers is a very different challenge in Cold Bay.

Totally agree with your post - if they were to be there for any significant length of time I can imagine there would be some challenges, but nothing Cold Bay hasn't stepped in and addressed before. I read the posts differently than you did - to me it seemed like they were speaking more to the challenges of landing in the Aleutians in the winter. None the less, I think most here can agree that, though Cold Bay is a fairly remote outpost, it's not some last desperate attempt to get the plane on the ground - it's a perfectly acceptable, if not completely optimal, diversion point.

toobz

Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:41 pm

clrd4t8koff wrote:
toobz wrote:

Nobody is saying or implying that DL isn't a safe airline ops wise. But based upon the fact that DL will take any opportunity possible to tout their "impeccable" ops and yet I see more DL mx posts recently than in recent years. Just a simple observation my friend, not a smear campaign. Relax.

lol u brought it up. to have a couple diversions taking the size of DL in to consideration is nothing. glad everyone made it safe.

Cubsrule

Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:52 pm

IPFreely wrote:
clrd4t8koff wrote:
The airline that touts itself on having the best ops record in the industry seems to be having a lot of mx related issues lately.

The first five words of your post explain a lot. DL puts a lot of effort into making up statistics and bragging about their records. But people who read the fine print and realize what they are including and excluding from their statistics quickly realize it's a joke. They are not a bottom-feeder with regard to operations. But they certainly aren't outperforming other airlines as they want you to believe, either. Just remember their system meltdown last year. I think it started very early in the morning -- by noon on day one they were issuing press releases and videos made by executives bragging about how great their response was! I personally know two people who were stranded for 3 days; I think it took Delta the better part of a week to resume normal schedules. How would you feel sitting in an airport halfway around the world from home facing a multi-day delay or trying to buy a same-day ticket on another airline, only to check your email and see you've received a video of a Delta CEO or VP bragging about their great recovery?

Do you have some data that support your assertions? If AA diverts four TPAC flights in time period X and DL diverts one, then DL might have a right to boast. DL has never boasted of 100 percent completion, no diversions or anything similar.

cschleic

Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:14 am

readytotaxi wrote:

A bit off topic but.... decades ago, a relative of mine was diverted to KEF on a Pan Am flight from LHR to somewhere in the states. She had to spend the night and called us because we didn't have to pick her up at the airport. After that, I was fascinated with getting to Iceland someday, and finally did many years later. So you never know what comes out of a flight diversion.

32andBelow
Topic Author

Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:33 am

To put some perspective about 40 people live in CDB. There are about 0 facilities.

tjerome

Sun Jan 15, 2017 4:12 am

Must have been a critical (get on the ground ASAP) mechanical since they didn't go to ANC where there are more options.

RWA380

Sun Jan 15, 2017 4:29 am

USAirKid wrote:
Would passengers have cleared customs in Cold Bay? Or would this wait until they arrive in PDX?

If the passengers deplaned in Cold Bay, then they would have cleared in Cold Bay. If the passengers stayed on the plane the entire time, they would have likely cleared at PDX given the more appropriate facilities. CDB is capable of clearing an aircraft full, it's also not Cold Bay's first rodeo in regards to wide-body diversions.

BNAOWB

Sun Jan 15, 2017 4:49 am

32andBelow wrote:
To put some perspective about 40 people live in CDB. There are about 0 facilities.

Since there are infrequent TPAC diversions to a limited number of remote airports, should there be a cooperative effort among TPAC airlines to fund provisions at some diversion airports such as stockpiles of canned food, dormitory style emergency sleeping arrangements, and basic "on call" medical personnel?

mtnwest1979

Sun Jan 15, 2017 5:08 am

Of course Cold Bay is not in the Aleutians, as it is on the Aleutian Peninsula and not an island.... ;)

As for SYA reference, I had a dog that I named after Shemya Island. She didn't respond too well when I'd yell 'Island, Island" ... lol JK. Shemya was the name...

jumbojet

Sun Jan 15, 2017 5:45 am

IPFreely wrote:
clrd4t8koff wrote:

DL has every right to brag about there stellar record mainly because they are better than the other two legacy airlines. Don't believe me, just google DOT Airline Stats for 2016. Review the whole document. For a global airline, they give the regional airlines like Alaska a run for there money definitely better than Jet Blue, and light years better than Spirit, Frontier and Southworst. Don't believe me, just look at the stats. And, DL doesn't need Alaska Airlines to help them out. They do just fine recovering passengers from diverts, whether its in Alaska or some small Island in the Atlantic. But hey, your envy of DL is duly noted.

freakyrat

Sun Jan 15, 2017 5:50 am

clrd4t8koff wrote:

Several years ago I was at the old MDW waiting to board a WN flight to Houston when it went tech. The next flight out of the same gate was going to Las Vegas. WN snuck us through the door for the preboards and put us on that aircraft and took us to Hobby while the Vegas bunch had to wait an additional 30 minutes for an aircraft coming in from Columbus to take them to Vegas.

jumbojet

Sun Jan 15, 2017 6:15 am

oh, and if DOT stats aren't good enough, than how about the OAG stats that were just released, I kind of like the stat for most punctual airline. Understandably, Hawaiian is #1, Regional Alaska Airlines is #2 at 86.05% and Global Delta Air Lines finishes 3rd at slightly better than 84%.

TW870

Sun Jan 15, 2017 6:40 am

Just for fun it is now 7 degrees F warmer in Cold Bay than it is in Minneapolis. So if we are worried about the pax in Cold Bay, then they better close a hub! The highs this week in Cold Bay are going to be above 15F every day. I had a holiday party in Minneapolis a few weeks ago and it was -17F by the end of the party. Not worried about this diversion!

ASFlyer

Sun Jan 15, 2017 6:57 am

jumbojet wrote:
oh, and if DOT stats aren't good enough, than how about the OAG stats that were just released, I kind of like the stat for most punctual airline. Understandably, Hawaiian is #1, Regional Alaska Airlines is #2 at 86.05% and Global Delta Air Lines finishes 3rd at slightly better than 84%.

Ummmm, Alaska isn't a "regional airline" no matter how many times you keep saying it. They are, in fact, one of the legacy airlines - just not one of the three largest U.S. legacy airlines. Regional airlines include Compass, Envoy, GoJet, Skywest and whatever other airlines make up the majority of Delta's domestic network, whose performance isn't measured in these stats you keep quoting.

SFOtoORD

Sun Jan 15, 2017 7:03 am

ASFlyer wrote:
jumbojet wrote:

Ummmm, Alaska isn't a "regional airline" no matter how many times you keep saying it. They are, in fact, one of the legacy airlines - just not one of the three largest U.S. legacy airlines. Regional airlines include Compass, Envoy, GoJet, Skywest and whatever other airlines make up the majority of Delta's domestic network, whose performance isn't measured in these stats you keep quoting.

It's a West Coast airline.

ASFlyer

Sun Jan 15, 2017 7:05 am

SFOtoORD wrote:
ASFlyer wrote:
jumbojet wrote:

and Delta is a southern airline - what's your point?

PlanesNTrains

Sun Jan 15, 2017 7:05 am

SFOtoORD wrote:
ASFlyer wrote:
jumbojet wrote:

I thought they were a "national" airline? Regardless, it doesn't matter. It has zero to do with the topic unless IPFreely and JumboJet can't get past their own biases. Then I guess it's ok.

SFOtoORD

Sun Jan 15, 2017 7:23 am

PlanesNTrains wrote:
SFOtoORD wrote:
ASFlyer wrote:

I thought they were a "national" airline? Regardless, it doesn't matter. It has zero to do with the topic unless IPFreely and JumboJet can't get past their own biases. Then I guess it's ok.

Pretty far off topic, but while they fly nationally it's a very limited network outside the West. I would bet 95% of their FF addresses are in AK, WA, OR and CA. Just a different kind of operation that a fully national + international network. But they are great at operating in AK which is a feat unto itself.

ASFlyer

Sun Jan 15, 2017 7:30 am

SFOtoORD wrote:
PlanesNTrains wrote:
SFOtoORD wrote:

Pretty far off topic, but while they fly nationally it's a very limited network outside the West. I would bet 95% of their FF addresses are in AK, WA, OR and CA. Just a different kind of operation that a fully national + international network. But they are great at operating in AK which is a feat unto itself.

None the less, they aren't just a "west coast airline" anymore - no more then Delta is a "southern airline". Of course Delta is much larger and fly globally. A large portion of Alaska's network is made up of Hawaii, transcon and midcon flights these days. In fact, they fly to more cities away from the west coast then they do on the west coast.

jetwet1

Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:04 am

Good lord, the pissing contests are strong today. Okay guys, we know your favorite airline would have done a better job than airline X in case of a diversion that trust me, the crew didn't want to make, they would much rather have been in PDX than Cold Bay, but come on, give it a rest.

As I am just waking up, did someone come up with a reason for the diversion ?

kgaiflyer

Sun Jan 15, 2017 2:30 pm

jetwet1 wrote:
As I am just waking up, did someone come up with a reason for the diversion ?

The article up above suggests an engine performance issue.

Flightaware suggests that the DL 68 was successfully completed by 8pm last night.

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/DAL6 ... /PACD/KPDX

910A

Sun Jan 15, 2017 3:44 pm

RWA380 wrote:
USAirKid wrote:

If the passengers deplaned in Cold Bay, then they would have cleared in Cold Bay. If the passengers stayed on the plane the entire time, they would have likely cleared at PDX given the more appropriate facilities. CDB is capable of clearing an aircraft full, it's also not Cold Bay's first rodeo in regards to wide-body diversions.

There is no clearing of immigrations and customs in CDB. The Delta flight in 2013 the passengers went into town, and the AA flight last October they just hung around the aircraft and they cleared immigration in ANC.
https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/aviatio ... -cold-bay/

FlyHossD

Sun Jan 15, 2017 4:01 pm

tjerome wrote:
Must have been a critical (get on the ground ASAP) mechanical since they didn't go to ANC where there are more options.

Regulations require that for an engine failure in a twin engine aircraft, the aircraft must land at the nearest suitable airport. Suitable is a key word here - in a scenario where the nearest airport had very bad weather, a captain could justify going to another and more distant airport with better weather. However, if a captain made such a decision, he or she might invite some interest by the FAA.

DfwRevolution

Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:14 am

BNAOWB wrote:
32andBelow wrote:

Since there are infrequent TPAC diversions to a limited number of remote airports, should there be a cooperative effort among TPAC airlines to fund provisions at some diversion airports such as stockpiles of canned food, dormitory style emergency sleeping arrangements, and basic "on call" medical personnel?

Wasn't this pretty much how MDY was operated in the early ETOPS days?

Anyway, has there been a confirmation for why the flight diverted yet?

sololobo

Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:06 pm

32andBelow wrote:
Middle of the night in a stormy aluetian island. Anyone know what happened?

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/DAL68

Engine failure, they initially said they wanted to divert to PAKN, then changed to PACD without communicating it with ATC. They did not communicate they had an engine failure until asked.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos