Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

tomkell92
Topic Author

Jet2 Cargo / Royal Mail Flights

Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:27 pm

As some of you may know, Jet2 have a fleet of Boeing 737 QC's which are used overnight for cargo flights - particularly for Royal Mail flights.
However, their fleet of Boeing 737-300's is depleting and being replaced by newer 737-800's.

My concern is, what is going to happen with these overnight cargo flights?
Will another airline, such as Titan or West Air pick up these flights?

QC aircraft that have left the fleet so far are:

G-CELP
G-CELR
G-CELZ

Also G-CELW has been WFU, which is their fully freighter configured aircraft.

That only leaves 5 QC configured aircraft remaining.
Tom

opticalilyushin

Re: Jet2 Cargo / Royal Mail Flights

Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:48 pm

Jet2 have lost the contract to West Air, so I imagine they'll be stored or scrapped. They are quite some age anyway.

Cunard

Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:02 pm

Jet2 by all accounts did not tender for the renewal of the Royal Mail contract and it was awarded to West Air Sweden and this was officially announced several months ago.
94 Countries, 327 Destinations Worldwide, 32 Airlines, 29 Aircraft Types, 182 Airports, 335 Flights.

luftaom

Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:51 pm

Some of them will be >30 years old. Most of them are ex Ansett Australia aircraft.
airliners.net's passenger - simultaneously connecting and flying direct.

BasilFawlty

Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:53 pm

tomkell92 wrote:

West Atlantic will pick up all these flights. I believe they also got the Titan contract, in that case the days of the 733QC's at their fleet might be numbered as well.

tomkell92 wrote:

G-CELP
G-CELR
G-CELZ

Technically down to 4 QC configured aircraft, as G-CELA is no longer in use as a QC. And we might be down to three actually, as G-GDFE was also ferried from EDI to LBA last Friday.
'Every year donkeys and mules kill more people than plane crashes'

Chaostheory

Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:03 pm

I'm totally out of touch with the UK air freight market so I'd be grateful if anyone could fill me in. Other than the aforementioned carriers, do the likes of Eastern or Stobart have suitable equipment for carrying airmail?

ZuluTime

Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:44 pm

Jet2 did tender for one route (Belfast) but were unsuccessful and the whole jet and mid-size turboprop contract went to West Atlantic. Big growth for them.

tomkell92
Topic Author

Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:41 pm

Chaostheory wrote:
I'm totally out of touch with the UK air freight market so I'd be grateful if anyone could fill me in. Other than the aforementioned carriers, do the likes of Eastern or Stobart have suitable equipment for carrying airmail?

Not really. Other than in the cargo hold of the aircraft, there isn't much room for cargo on their aircraft.
Both airlines have PAX configs on all their aircraft. West Air, Loganair and ASL Airlines (FedEx) are the only ones operating turboprops that carry cargo, as far as I'm aware.
Tom

tomkell92
Topic Author

Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:42 pm

opticalilyushin wrote:
Jet2 have lost the contract to West Air, so I imagine they'll be stored or scrapped. They are quite some age anyway.

Thanks for the info.
Correct, most of their aircraft are either already 30 years old or not far from reaching it.
Tom

opticalilyushin

Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:48 pm

I have fond memories of working on their old 733s. It's an unfortunate loss of revenue for Jet2, but a blessing in disguise for them and Titan, who both wanted to get a newer and younger fleet, but had no real cheap options on the cargo carrying front

readytotaxi

Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:57 pm

ZuluTime wrote:
Jet2 did tender for one route (Belfast) but were unsuccessful and the whole jet and mid-size turboprop contract went to West Atlantic. Big growth for them.

http://www.westatlantic.eu/
Quiet a sizable operation.
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!
Growing older, but not up.

jamesontheroad

Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:14 pm

readytotaxi wrote:
http://www.westatlantic.eu/
Quiet a sizable operation.

40 BAe ATP-F! So that's where they all ended up :D

tomkell92
Topic Author

Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:15 pm

BasilFawlty wrote:
tomkell92 wrote:

West Atlantic will pick up all these flights. I believe they also got the Titan contract, in that case the days of the 733QC's at their fleet might be numbered as well.

tomkell92 wrote:

G-CELP
G-CELR
G-CELZ

Technically down to 4 QC configured aircraft, as G-CELA is no longer in use as a QC. And we might be down to three actually, as G-GDFE was also ferried from EDI to LBA last Friday.

Blimey, sounds like they are accelerating the withdrawal of these aircraft then.

Didn't know about G-CELA. Still listed as a QC aircraft on most fleet websites, but have seen it operating from non-cargo hubs, like MAN and LBA lately, so was beginning to wonder.
Tom

BasilFawlty

Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:46 pm

All QC functions have been removed, what's left is the large cargo door. The same goes for G-CELR by the way, that one was also no longer in use as a QC.
'Every year donkeys and mules kill more people than plane crashes'

tomkell92
Topic Author

Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:35 pm

BasilFawlty wrote:
All QC functions have been removed, what's left is the large cargo door. The same goes for G-CELR by the way, that one was also no longer in use as a QC.

Ah okay, I see.
Yeah, I knew about G-CELR. That got done a while ago - first one I think.
Tom

GCT64

Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:44 pm

BasilFawlty wrote:
tomkell92 wrote:

Titan supposedly have a 734 (ex-BA) under conversion to a 734F in MIA (N844AU ex G-DOCY) but I don't know if that will progress if they don't have contracts for it.
Flown in: A20N,A21N,A30B,A306,A310,A319,A320,A321,A332,A333,A343,A346,A359,A388,BA11,BU31,(..56 more types..),VC10,WESX

JannEejit

Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:52 pm

Loganair are converting at least one Saab 340 to freighter ops at the moment to increase their small fleet. Apparently to service a recently won cargo contract within the UK. I have no further details other than to add they'll be the first into the new traditional livery, post Flybe colours.

tomkell92
Topic Author

Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:47 pm

GCT64 wrote:
BasilFawlty wrote:
tomkell92 wrote:

Titan supposedly have a 734 (ex-BA) under conversion to a 734F in MIA (N844AU ex G-DOCY) but I don't know if that will progress if they don't have contracts for it.

Interesting...
Will keep an eye on that one.
Tom

tomkell92
Topic Author

Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:48 pm

JannEejit wrote:
Loganair are converting at least one Saab 340 to freighter ops at the moment to increase their small fleet. Apparently to service a recently won cargo contract within the UK. I have no further details other than to add they'll be the first into the new traditional livery, post Flybe colours.

Well given that all of Loganair's Saab 340's are over 20 years old, most around 25 years, it was only a matter of time before they convert them from PAX to freighters.
Tom

vv701

Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:03 pm

GCT64 wrote:
[quote="BasilFawlty"

According to Flight24 this aircraft, registered G-POWP to Titan Airways, is now operating the STN-BFS Royal Mail rotation.

It has a fairly unusual history for an ex-BA aircraft. It was delivered to BA in September 1993 . This was during the down-turn in commercial aviation following the First Gulf War.

BA registered it G-BVBY. On delivery they ferried it BFI-MHV painted white with no titles. in March 1994 it was ferried MHV-LHR. There BA rolled it out in an all-white livery with blue billboard 'ALBATROS' (sic) titles and the Turkish registration TC-ALS. But Albatros Airlines suspended operations that month. However BA managed to quickly lease it to Eurobelgian Airlines and. it entered service with them on 29 April as OO-LTQ. Two years later on 4 April 1996 Eurobelgian was bought by the Virgin Group and renamed Virgin Express Airways. After a short lease by Virgin to Air Provence International it was returned to BA in October 1996. They reregistered it G-DOCY.

Its after-life was more conventional for a BA aircraft until it was retired on 31 December 2014. With eight other 734s BA sold it to Automatic and all were parked at VCV. However I believe what was BA's G-DOCY has the distinction of being their only 737 436 in service today. If any of the other eight might return to service as freighters remains to be seen.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos