Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

dubaiamman243
Topic Author

Emirates to offer Economy class passengers lounge access at DXB for a fee

Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:34 pm

Emirates Airline has opened a new lounge at DXB for its economy class passengers for a fee. Passengers using the lounge can bring additional guests flying on the same flight for an additional fee. The new move will generate additional revenues amid a challenging environment.

' The fees can vary depending on the type of premium facilities that passengers wish to access. The Emirates lounge and all Business lounges will cost an Economy Class passenger an extra $100 and all first class lounges another $200.'

' In October 2016, the airline started collecting an extra Dh50 to Dh150 from flyers who wish to choose their seats in advance or ahead of the standard two-day check-in window. The new fees apply to Economy Class Special and Saver fares and can vary depending on the duration of the flight.'

Source: http://gulfnews.com/business/aviation/e ... -1.1962461
Last edited by qf789 on Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: misleading title

readytotaxi

Re: Emirates opens Economy class lounge at DXB

Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:51 pm

Well I am not sure if I like the idea or not. Does it devalue the lounge experience for the First Class passenger to know they are not all First class people? For the Eonomy passenger having experienced the wounderful lounge facilities for an hour or so to then have to sit at the back of the plane must be a bit of a let down.

clrd4t8koff

Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:56 pm

The title of this thread is misleading. EK isn't opening an Economy class lounge, rather they're offering Economy class passengers the ability to purchase access to the Business and First class lounges.

MODS - can you change the title?

anshabhi

Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:58 pm

Not a good idea I think. It will make the lounges crowded and less special. Might take away premium passengers from the lounge.

Btw, EK is under tremendous pressure.. As this move shows. When is their annual report coming?

Also, if someone is ready to pay $100 more, why would they travel with EK, if a direct flight can come in that... For routes which have direct flights as well

Aquila3

Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:15 pm

If I remember well there is at least one existing pay-for lounge at DXB , priced about the half. So, either the Emirates lounge is hands-down better (never visited it) or I see it hard...

ty97

Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:15 pm

Interesting. Also interesting to see that EK sees things as a challenging environment.

Bricktop

Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:18 pm

What? Allowing the riff-raff in? What happened to standards? Clearly money trumps all.

(Yes, I am being sarcastic).

TC957

Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:41 pm

Assuming EK are talking about allowing paid entry into their existing biz-class lounges, I'm surprised they have enough space and capacity in them to permit this given their sheer volume of flights and transitting passengers in J.
But aren't the first to do this, VS will sometimes ( at duty managers discretion ) allow paid entry into the LHR clubhouse, £60 last I heard.

dtw2hyd

Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:07 pm

readytotaxi wrote:
Does it devalue the lounge experience for the First Class passenger to know they are not all First class people?

No it doesn't. Passengers who pay $200 for few hours are worth more to the company's bottom line than most premium free loaders ie., reward travel,op-ups, bloggers, youtubers and others. With paid corporate premium business travel down, EK saddled with serving these low/non-rev premium travelers.

I would say open up in-flight showers for a fee to all passengers.

AussieCanuck92

Re: Emirates to offer Economy class passengers lounge access at DXB for a fee

Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:18 pm

Although the initaly type was misleading, I don't think it would be a terrible idea to create an 'economy class' lounge. Instead of charging $100, charge $30 and offer basic services such as a continental breakfast that's provided at hotels instead of hot meals, no alcohol but access to soft drinks, tea and coffee. I'd bet that would bring in a lot of passengers, and increase their revenue.

KingOrGod

Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:28 pm

anshabhi wrote:
It will make the lounges crowded and less special.

As a former EK J pretty frequent flier, it is my opinion that this is too late. On my last (and final) trip I booked with EK I vowed never again. The J lounge at DXB was overcrowded. Food had run out. There were no chairs left. Just simply too many pax. And don't get me started on the 777 J cabin vs QR A359 cabin. 2/3/2 vs 1/2/1.

They are getting desperate to take any money they can get. I now fly QR, and although they have their own problems, the DOH J lounge is immaculate, not overcrowded - a la carte dining, on top of a sandwich bar and salad bar.

And of course with the 1/2/1 layout on the A359 (and 788), they win my business for now...

frmrCapCadet

Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:31 pm

I am surprised that this isn't more widely done. Any layover over 4 hours can be exhausting in a typical airport (remember pain well at LHR). Such facilities should include a comfortable reclining chair, power for charging electronics, Wi-Fi with streaming international channels, coffee-tea-water.

Airport food is more than adequate and need not be included. Sound cancelling earphones and iPads etc available for extra fee. One such lounge ought to be children oriented (think MacDonald's playgrounds), a place to stow carry-ons.

Note: all this implies that airlines and airports look at the flying public as customers, and not as a necessary evil in order to make a profit.

SCQ83

Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:05 pm

AussieCanuck92 wrote:
Although the initaly type was misleading, I don't think it would be a terrible idea to create an 'economy class' lounge. Instead of charging $100, charge $30 and offer basic services such as a continental breakfast that's provided at hotels instead of hot meals, no alcohol but access to soft drinks, tea and coffee. I'd bet that would bring in a lot of passengers, and increase their revenue.

That would enter in conflict with cafeterias and restaurants in the airport, that are a source of revenue for the airport (owned by Dubai).

SFOtoORD

Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:06 pm

dtw2hyd wrote:
readytotaxi wrote:
Does it devalue the lounge experience for the First Class passenger to know they are not all First class people?

No it doesn't. Passengers who pay $200 for few hours are worth more to the company's bottom line than most premium free loaders ie., reward travel,op-ups, bloggers, youtubers and others. With paid corporate premium business travel down, EK saddled with serving these low/non-rev premium travelers.

I would say open up in-flight showers for a fee to all passengers.

Delusional post. If you think EK's J passengers are mad up primarily of the groups you describe above you are very confused.

UAL777UK

Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:07 pm

[quote="frmrCapCadet"]I am surprised that this isn't more widely done. Any layover over 4 hours can be exhausting in a typical airport (remember pain well at LHR). Such facilities should include a comfortable reclining chair, power for charging electronics, Wi-Fi with streaming international channels, coffee-tea-water.

In this day and age there is no need to not get access to a lounge in any major airport or for that matter non major airport. You just need to join priority pass and then enjoy chilling on that layover.

Back to the thread, is EK really feeling the pinch that much that they need to open economy class lounges? I hope its large as just one A380 could fill one of those.

dtw2hyd

Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:32 pm

SFOtoORD wrote:
Delusional post. If you think EK's J passengers are mad up primarily of the groups you describe above you are very confused.

Most if not all premium passenger were paying, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

https://www.ft.com/content/0743c758-299 ... 555f2f4fde
https://skift.com/2016/09/19/interview- ... n-of-fees/

c933103

Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:40 pm

Wait, only passengers who already have lounge access can pay for extra economy class passenger access? Can regular economy class traveller pay for the access?

AussieCanuck92

Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:41 pm

SCQ83 wrote:
AussieCanuck92 wrote:

That would enter in conflict with cafeterias and restaurants in the airport, that are a source of revenue for the airport (owned by Dubai).

True, but they way I look at it, how many people would spend more than $30 per person at the cafeterias? People go into lounges mainly for the experience, to sit in a nicer chair and read the newspaper, have a bite to eat. But you're right, it's probably a long shot to happen anyway.

dtw2hyd

Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:52 pm

c933103 wrote:
Wait, only passengers who already have lounge access can pay for extra economy class passenger access? Can regular economy class traveller pay for the access?

Any Emirates Economy class passenger [no Skywards membership/status necessary] can access Business lounge for $100 (or) First lounge for $200.

Very confusing title head. I am sure there is a reason behind it.

by738

Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:19 pm

the standard Y punter wont pay $20 for a bag never mind $100-200 dollars for lounge access. If they were they would have upgraded the whole ticket. A mute point I suspect. Agree however the lounges are overcrowded as is, but thats not just an EK thing, look at BA J lounge at LHR is often a zoo.

berari

Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:20 pm

Buy a deeply discounted Economy fare. A 4-6 hour layover at DXB? Pay $200 for a posh experience. Yes sir.

SFOtoORD

Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:22 pm

dtw2hyd wrote:
SFOtoORD wrote:

Most if not all premium passenger were paying, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

https://www.ft.com/content/0743c758-299 ... 555f2f4fde
https://skift.com/2016/09/19/interview- ... n-of-fees/

I see nothing that says most J and F are NOT paying.

timpdx

Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:31 pm

Does DXB have the "third party" lounges like Plaza Premium lounges (at AUH)? I purchased access for $80 for a 1AM arrival and 8AM departure (5hr pass). Lot cheaper than a hotel, I found it wonderful and would do it again, showers, beer, hot and cold food, attentive staff. Having a shower and cleaning up was sooo worth it.

dtw2hyd

Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:39 pm

SFOtoORD wrote:

Ignore my delusional posts for a second and think logically.

Why would EK upset paid premium passengers by allowing cattle class into their lounges?

There will be three types of lounge users, in the order of value to company.
1) Paid premium
2) Paid lounge access pass
3) Non-rev premium

The very fact EK allowing #2 shows there aren't many #1 and don't care about #3's feelings.

SFOtoORD

Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:44 pm

dtw2hyd wrote:
SFOtoORD wrote:

Why would EK upset paid premium passengers by allowing cattle class into their lounges?

1) Paid premium
3) Non-rev premium

The very fact EK allowing #2 shows there aren't many #1 and don't care about #3's feelings.

Logical fallacy. They could either be replacing lost revenue or far more likely looking to drive incremental revenue. There is a difference. Selling lounge access doesn't inherently imply anything about paid premium passenger buying habits.

dtw2hyd

Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:51 pm

SFOtoORD wrote:
Logical fallacy. They could either be replacing lost revenue or far more likely looking to drive incremental revenue. There is a difference. Selling lounge access doesn't inherently imply anything about paid premium passenger buying habits.

It is not. Downward risk of allowing cattle class into premium lounge is very high, yet EK went for it.

For $100 incremental revenue one wouldn't to lose even a single $4000 pax. If that $4000 is imaginary, $100 is solid revenue.

drdisque

Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:02 pm

Yeah, I agree, a separate lounge similar to a US3 domestic lounge where Economy passengers can go for $30-$50 would've been a better idea. I think they would have a higher take rate and it wouldn't affect their existing premium offerings. The downside of course would be that they would have to pay for a new lounge to be built with no guaranteed users.

Planesmart

Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:25 pm

dtw2hyd wrote:

1) Paid premium
3) Non-rev premium

Have you visited DXB, let alone set foot in the one of the many EK lounges? Or are you basing your comments on your experience of US3 lounges in the USA?

On a 10 hour flight plus, $100 for a shower, shave, reading material, food and quiet time is great value. I agree, not so much if just flying across the Atlantic.

dtw2hyd

Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:17 pm

Planesmart wrote:
dtw2hyd wrote:

1) Paid premium
3) Non-rev premium

Have you visited DXB, let alone set foot in the one of the many EK lounges? Or are you basing your comments on your experience of US3 lounges in the USA?

On a 10 hour flight plus, $100 for a shower, shave, reading material, food and quiet time is great value. I agree, not so much if just flying across the Atlantic.

I think you misunderstood my statement. I am sure it is definitely a value and unique experience from passenger's point of view.

If premium cabins are getting filled with mostly upgrades, reward travel, bloggers, youtubers, journalists and other freeloader types, EK primarily wasting money providing premium lounge services to non-rev categories.

Extending premium lounge experience is a win-win for Y pax and EK until premium yields are back up.

Another option could be make F lounge exclusive to revenue F/J passengers, J lounge to freeloaders and daily pass holders.

sandyb123

Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:33 pm

What? No way! Having flown a few times in EK F (and paying for it) I really valued the peace and service of the EK F lounges at DXB.

If all of a sudden the lounges are populated by anyone willing to pay then it seriously devalues the experience, personally speaking.

There is also something about that special 'club' walking into the F lounge.

That said, it's first world problems!

Side note, I am still amazed that EK don't offer a premium economy product.

Sandyb123

[email protected]

Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:37 pm

Flew 12 long haul sectors on EK in J last year for work. At peak times the lounges were pretty busy!

[email protected]

Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:39 pm

sandyb123 wrote:
What? No way! Having flown a few times in EK F (and paying for it) I really valued the peace and service of the EK F lounges at DXB.

If all of a sudden the lounges are populated by anyone willing to pay then it seriously devalues the experience, personally speaking.

There is also something about that special 'club' walking into the F lounge.

That said, it's first world problems!

Side note, I am still amazed that EK don't offer a premium economy product.

Sandyb123

Premium economy is coming: https://www.ausbt.com.au/text_links/view/17

blueflyer

Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:03 pm

readytotaxi wrote:
Well I am not sure if I like the idea or not. Does it devalue the lounge experience for the First Class passenger to know they are not all First class people?

If a passenger feels their experience is diminished based on how other passengers gained access into the lounge, that's a character flaw, in my opinion. Quantity and behavior matter far more than credentials, as far as I am concerned.

303dk

Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:30 pm

Is this not common? I buy lounge access regularly when I have a layover of more than an hour or two.

sandyb123

Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:28 pm

303dk wrote:
Is this not common? I buy lounge access regularly when I have a layover of more than an hour or two.

Do you do this in airline lounges or in 'private' lounges oersted by desperate businesses.

I am not familiar with airlines I know offering own-brand lounge access for a fee? It's either in the ticket, Frequent flyer programme or companion rights.

Sandyb123

Emirates77W

Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:13 am

dtw2hyd wrote:

Any Emirates Economy class passenger [no Skywards membership/status necessary] can access Business lounge for $100 (or) First lounge for $200.

As per the email I received from Emirates, along with the information on their website, the paid lounge access will only be available for Emirates Skywards members (addressing Blue tier members). If a passenger isn't part of the Skywards program, they won't be able to access the lounge even if they are willing to pay.

AirlineCritic

Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:52 am

People seem to get very excited about the topic or post very black-and-white opinions.

Obviously how crowed a lounge is matters. I don't think 100$ passes for the public are going to open the floodgates, though. And in any case, lounge space/atmosphere is in any case an issue for any airline, whether or not they have a way for Y passengers to pay for access. Many lounges are overcrowded and too small, others are adequately designed.

If EK is a numbers based company, they've done their math. They've determined that they can get some more revenue, in the amount of space available, without causing more financial damage by upset other passengers.

YLWbased

Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:59 am

More airlines should do this, especially when a status member is traveling with a guest.

YLWbased

303dk

Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:13 pm

sandyb123 wrote:
303dk wrote:

Do you do this in airline lounges or in 'private' lounges oersted by desperate businesses.

I am not familiar with airlines I know offering own-brand lounge access for a fee? It's either in the ticket, Frequent flyer programme or companion rights.

Sandyb123
both. The Avianca lounge in SJU (third party operated) and AA in MIA are the ones I use regularly. They both sell day passes