stationmanager
Topic Author
Posts: 77
Joined: Sat Sep 16, 2006 5:22 am

List of busiest airports in Europe (2016)

Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:42 pm

There are still some missing data but this is the list of busiest airports in Europe during 2016.

Image
 
MaxTrimm
Posts: 253
Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2015 2:43 pm

Re: List of busiest airports in Europe (2016)

Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:05 pm

Wow! IST about to pass FRA.
 
B747forever
Posts: 13814
Joined: Mon May 21, 2007 9:50 pm

Re: List of busiest airports in Europe (2016)

Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:10 pm

The list would have been much better if they also showed the change compared to the 2015 numbers for each airport.
Work Hard, Fly Right
 
anshabhi
Posts: 2146
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:40 am

Re: List of busiest airports in Europe (2016)

Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:12 pm

MaxTrimm wrote:
Wow! IST about to pass FRA.

IST has come down because of terrorist attacks and Turkey's internal issues. It was above FRA till 2015.

The growth rate for European Airports is quite low.
 
B747forever
Posts: 13814
Joined: Mon May 21, 2007 9:50 pm

Re: List of busiest airports in Europe (2016)

Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:14 pm

MaxTrimm wrote:
Wow! IST about to pass FRA.


More impressive is AMS. Now third busiest and even closing in on CDG.
Work Hard, Fly Right
 
MaxTrimm
Posts: 253
Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2015 2:43 pm

Re: List of busiest airports in Europe (2016)

Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:22 pm

anshabhi wrote:
MaxTrimm wrote:
Wow! IST about to pass FRA.

IST has come down because of terrorist attacks and Turkey's internal issues. It was above FRA till 2015.

The growth rate for European Airports is quite low.

Completely forgot about that. I'm assuming CDG has suffered from the same effects due to terrorism?
 
wolbo
Posts: 424
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:09 pm

Re: List of busiest airports in Europe (2016)

Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:25 pm

B747forever wrote:
The list would have been much better if they also showed the change compared to the 2015 numbers for each airport.


Wikipedia: List of the busiest airports in Europe
 
LGAviation
Posts: 864
Joined: Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:14 am

Re: List of busiest airports in Europe (2016)

Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:27 pm

AMS is impressive, as a Frankfurter by birth I'm glad we retook that spot from IST. As mentioned in another thread, the Spanish performance is astonishing but probably not surprising. SXF has been gaining a lot.
2018: ADD CPH DAR DEN DME DUB FRA HAH HAM IST JIB KEF LYR MEL OSL PEK PKC PVG RAK STN SVO SYD YVR
 
wolbo
Posts: 424
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:09 pm

Re: List of busiest airports in Europe (2016)

Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:33 pm

B747forever wrote:
MaxTrimm wrote:
Wow! IST about to pass FRA.


More impressive is AMS. Now third busiest and even closing in on CDG.


Pretty amazing that AMS now has more passenger traffic than FRA and might overtake CDG in one or two years. AMS is expected to hit the allowed max. number of flights sometime this year so its growth will probably slow down, otherwise it could conceivably even surpass LHR before the new runway is opened.
Last edited by wolbo on Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 
User avatar
AI126
Posts: 83
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2016 2:03 am

Re: List of busiest airports in Europe (2016)

Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:38 pm

I'm amazed that even after all these years and despite all the procrastination about the third runway, LHR manages to keep its crown. Just goes to show how damn important London is to the global economy.
 
B747forever
Posts: 13814
Joined: Mon May 21, 2007 9:50 pm

Re: List of busiest airports in Europe (2016)

Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:41 pm

wolbo wrote:


Thanks for the link.

Top 3 growth 2016

1. LHR + 1%
2. CDG + 0.3%
3. AMS + 9.2%

What is the reason for this rapid growth at AMS? Dont think KLM has expanded their fleet, more like replacing 747s when they get new frames. Any airlines that have opened a base at AMS this year?
Work Hard, Fly Right
 
B752OS
Posts: 1216
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2005 4:05 am

Re: List of busiest airports in Europe (2016)

Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:13 pm

Wow, the number of passengers in London is amazing - between LHR, LGW and STN you're talking over 140 million.
 
User avatar
AirPacific747
Posts: 9695
Joined: Mon May 19, 2008 9:52 am

Re: List of busiest airports in Europe (2016)

Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:39 pm

Rapid growth in AMS must be due to more low cost operators/flights in and out of AMS compared to just a few years ago?

CPH has the same growth rate and I would assume due to the same reasons.
 
EMAman
Posts: 206
Joined: Sun Sep 21, 2008 7:13 pm

Re: List of busiest airports in Europe (2016)

Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:41 pm

MaxTrimm wrote:
Wow! IST about to pass FRA.


It did pass FRA in 2015, it has dropped back down - perhaps unsurprisingly. The tourist numbers must have dropped.
 
AirInterCRV
Posts: 37
Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:28 am

Re: List of busiest airports in Europe (2016)

Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:49 pm

wolbo wrote:
B747forever wrote:
MaxTrimm wrote:
Wow! IST about to pass FRA.


More impressive is AMS. Now third busiest and even closing in on CDG.


Pretty amazing that AMS now has more passenger traffic than FRA and might overtake CDG in one or two years. AMS is expected to hit the allowed max. number of flights sometime this year so its growth will probably slow down, otherwise it could conceivably even surpass LHR before the new runway is opened.

impressive indeed. I assume some of it is the consequence of Ryanair expanding out of AMS ?
glad that ORY numbers are up, especially in adverse conditions for Paris tourism, as most traffic is probably O&D (and it should get even better once they open the "single terminal" and give some new life to grand old Terminal S - a personal favorite)
 
User avatar
PatrickZ80
Posts: 4009
Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:33 am

Re: List of busiest airports in Europe (2016)

Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:32 pm

Ryanair at Amsterdam is not that big yet, only two destinations. EasyJet keeps adding new routes. Norwegian has gone up from once daily to twice daily and added one new destination. Transavia keeps expanding and Amsterdam is their home base. Same for TUIfly Netherlands.
 
User avatar
flybynight
Posts: 1516
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2003 1:58 pm

Re: List of busiest airports in Europe (2016)

Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:00 pm

Norway's population roughly 5 million yet Gardemoen has 24+ million people filter through. Pretty amazing when you think about it.
Heia Norge!
 
Bostrom
Posts: 876
Joined: Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:11 pm

Re: List of busiest airports in Europe (2016)

Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:07 pm

flybynight wrote:
Norway's population roughly 5 million yet Gardemoen has 24+ million people filter through. Pretty amazing when you think about it.


Although, slightly less amazing when you look at the Norwegian landscape and how long it takes to travel by train or road within Norway…
 
sf260
Posts: 284
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:59 pm

Re: List of busiest airports in Europe (2016)

Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:19 pm

Quite amazing that Wideroe can get the E2 in H1 2018. It also kind of makes me think that it is not the success Embraer was hoping for with such early slots still available.

I also think that the E190 is in a different league than the CS100, the latter is >20% larger. For a 100-seater, the CS100 really is too much of an aircraft.
 
User avatar
PatrickZ80
Posts: 4009
Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:33 am

Re: List of busiest airports in Europe (2016)

Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:24 pm

I agree. For one thing those 24 million pax are not 24 million individuals, each time a person passes the airport it's being counted and I figure most Norwegians pass this airport several times a year. Plus, it's not all Norwegians. I'm Dutch and I made a transfer at that airport once too, so I was also counted.

Same thing is true about Amsterdam by the way, 63+ million pax while there are only 16 million inhabitants in the Netherlands. But Amsterdam is an important transfer airport, lots of people passing through while they actually got no business in the Netherlands. Also there's rarely any alternatives in the Netherlands. Only four small regional airports and their numbers come nowhere near Amsterdam (altough I do recall Eindhoven made the top 100 the last few years). But mostly Amsterdam is the only option, there is nothing else.
 
PietPiloot
Posts: 73
Joined: Sun Aug 20, 2006 3:16 pm

Re: List of busiest airports in Europe (2016)

Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:29 pm

Big increase in passengers in AMS is caused by growth by all airlines at AMS. KLM passed the 30 million passengers mark in 2016 for the first time, which is a big increase. Also EasyJet is expanding rapidly. But lets not forget the impact of Jet Airways moving all their operations to Schiphol, AeroMexico started flights, China Eastern started ops. So there was also a lot of new longhaul traffic.

If you count aircraft movements, Amsterdam was even the number 1 in Europe, having passed LHR, CDG and FRA. As mentioned earlier, there is a political maximum number of flights (500.000 per year) allowed. So Amsterdam has pretty much reached that number. For the moment, the only way to increase passenger numbers is by operating bigger aircraft. However different parties are still negotiating about solutions to increase the number in flights. KLM is not pleased to say the least about the way the airport attracted airlines like EasyJet, Ryanair and Norwegian. The general idea is that Schiphol should be an airport with as many as possible different connections in order to be the best hub airport. Flights going to holiday destinations in Turkey and Spain do not contribute to that. For that reason Lelystad airport is to be developed, but none of the airlines are happy to move to Lelystad once it is open. So to make a long story shorter, like in many other European countries, politics will temper the growth at Amsterdam for the coming years. As for now, nothing major has been announced yet for new airlines or new services for the summer season. Only American Airlines who will be operating a seasonal DFW daily flight.
 
MartijnNL
Posts: 845
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:44 am

Re: List of busiest airports in Europe (2016)

Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:06 pm

flybynight wrote:
Norway's population roughly 5 million yet Gardemoen has 24+ million people filter through. Pretty amazing when you think about it.

Dublin, Ireland is also impressive. Less than 5 million inhabitants in the country, almost 28 million passengers for the airport.
 
User avatar
Dutchy
Posts: 10657
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:25 am

Re: List of busiest airports in Europe (2016)

Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:27 pm

PietPiloot wrote:
Big increase in passengers in AMS is caused by growth by all airlines at AMS. KLM passed the 30 million passengers mark in 2016 for the first time, which is a big increase. Also EasyJet is expanding rapidly. But lets not forget the impact of Jet Airways moving all their operations to Schiphol, AeroMexico started flights, China Eastern started ops. So there was also a lot of new longhaul traffic.

If you count aircraft movements, Amsterdam was even the number 1 in Europe, having passed LHR, CDG and FRA. As mentioned earlier, there is a political maximum number of flights (500.000 per year) allowed. So Amsterdam has pretty much reached that number. For the moment, the only way to increase passenger numbers is by operating bigger aircraft. However different parties are still negotiating about solutions to increase the number in flights. KLM is not pleased to say the least about the way the airport attracted airlines like EasyJet, Ryanair and Norwegian. The general idea is that Schiphol should be an airport with as many as possible different connections in order to be the best hub airport. Flights going to holiday destinations in Turkey and Spain do not contribute to that. For that reason Lelystad airport is to be developed, but none of the airlines are happy to move to Lelystad once it is open. So to make a long story shorter, like in many other European countries, politics will temper the growth at Amsterdam for the coming years. As for now, nothing major has been announced yet for new airlines or new services for the summer season. Only American Airlines who will be operating a seasonal DFW daily flight.


Interesting that in the movements Schiphol is #1. They should implement an incentive to attract bigger a/c to AMS.
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!
 
SCQ83
Posts: 5500
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:32 pm

Re: List of busiest airports in Europe (2016)

Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:36 pm

MartijnNL wrote:
flybynight wrote:
Norway's population roughly 5 million yet Gardemoen has 24+ million people filter through. Pretty amazing when you think about it.

Dublin, Ireland is also impressive. Less than 5 million inhabitants in the country, almost 28 million passengers for the airport.


The crown goes for KEF. 330,000 people and 6,800,000 passengers. That is about 20 times the population of the country. With that proportion, DUB would have 100 million passengers, and AMS 320 million :)

Granted some Spanish islands have even higher ratios of PAX to residents. Ibiza (island) has about 140,000 residents and 7.4 million PAX (so about 52 passengers per resident). Lanzarote about 150,000 residents and 6.7 million. Fuerteventura 110,000 people and 5.7 million.

It would probably be similar for islands like Santorini and Mykonos that are very sparsely populated.
 
David_itl
Posts: 6391
Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2001 7:39 am

Re: List of busiest airports in Europe (2016)

Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:45 pm

What would be better is to look at the top 20 and label them as "Capital City", "Hub" or "Tourist Destination". Except at number 20, you come to grinding halt. That is the remarkable one in the list.
 
User avatar
LAX772LR
Posts: 12780
Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:06 pm

Re: List of busiest airports in Europe (2016)

Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:53 pm

B752OS wrote:
Wow, the number of passengers in London is amazing - between LHR, LGW and STN you're talking over 140 million.

Imagine what it'd be if they had a cultural/political climate that actually encouraged, rather than actively stifle, aviation expansion.... :o
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil
 
User avatar
lightsaber
Moderator
Posts: 18687
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:55 pm

Re: List of busiest airports in Europe (2016)

Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:10 pm

LAX772LR wrote:
B752OS wrote:
Wow, the number of passengers in London is amazing - between LHR, LGW and STN you're talking over 140 million.

Imagine what it'd be if they had a cultural/political climate that actually encouraged, rather than actively stifle, aviation expansion.... :o

That is amazing. I'm amazed how much growth was at LTN.

LHR needs a pair of new runways. They won't happen, so we'll see the growth at IST to the East, DUB (once it gets the new runway), SVO (once it is expanded), and so on.

Lightsaber
IM messages to mods on warnings and bans will be ignored and nasty ones will result in a ban.
 
User avatar
ro1960
Posts: 1185
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2006 8:19 am

Re: List of busiest airports in Europe (2016)

Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:28 pm

AirInterCRV wrote:
glad that ORY numbers are up, especially in adverse conditions for Paris tourism, as most traffic is probably O&D (and it should get even better once they open the "single terminal" and give some new life to grand old Terminal S - a personal favorite)


The construction of the connecting building is full on. These photos were taken in September 2016. When I was there in December the main structure tripled in size (sorry no photo). When is it due to open?

Image

Image
You may like my airport photos:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/aeroports
 
Samrnpage
Posts: 555
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:02 pm

Re: List of busiest airports in Europe (2016)

Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:13 am

David_itl wrote:
What would be better is to look at the top 20 and label them as "Capital City", "Hub" or "Tourist Destination". Except at number 20, you come to grinding halt. That is the remarkable one in the list.


Have to agree. Manchester has been remarkable recently. I stopped off near MAN recently and was amazed at the amount of Asian airlines now serving the airport. I was treated to CX 777-300ER, SQ 777-300ER, EK A380/777s, SV 787, QR 787, EY 777-300ER, HU A330, NL A330( Never heard of this airline before), PIA 777-300ER etc. Great amount of Asian carriers. Some which landed one after the other. Thought I was under the glide-scope of LHR at one point. Until the London airports get their act together with extra runways/capacity, MAN will continue to get busier. Give it 3 years I reckon MAN will have 30million going through.
 
Fiend
Posts: 196
Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2016 8:53 pm

Re: List of busiest airports in Europe (2016)

Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:43 am

Samrnpage wrote:
David_itl wrote:
What would be better is to look at the top 20 and label them as "Capital City", "Hub" or "Tourist Destination". Except at number 20, you come to grinding halt. That is the remarkable one in the list.


Have to agree. Manchester has been remarkable recently. I stopped off near MAN recently and was amazed at the amount of Asian airlines now serving the airport. I was treated to CX 777-300ER, SQ 777-300ER, EK A380/777s, SV 787, QR 787, EY 777-300ER, HU A330, NL A330( Never heard of this airline before), PIA 777-300ER etc. Great amount of Asian carriers. Some which landed one after the other. Thought I was under the glide-scope of LHR at one point. Until the London airports get their act together with extra runways/capacity, MAN will continue to get busier. Give it 3 years I reckon MAN will have 30million going through.


Congratulations to MAN for attracting so many long haul carriers.
BAC 1-11, A300, A320, A321, A330, A340, A350, A380, B737, B747, B757, B777, B787, L1011, Fokker 100, ATR 72, MD83
 
factsonly
Posts: 2728
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:08 pm

Re: List of busiest airports in Europe (2016)

Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:28 am

B747forever wrote:

Top 3 growth 2016

1. LHR + 1%
2. CDG + 0.3%
3. AMS + 9.2%

What is the reason for this rapid growth at AMS?


AMS publishes its traffic flows in great detail, so here we go:

- Local O&D pax = 39.497.377 +12.2%
- Transfer pax = 24.036.333 +4.4%
- Transito (Jet Airways) = 91.954 +134%

of this passenger traffic:

- Europe = 45.121.520 +10.9%
- Intercontinental = 18.412.190 +4.8%

So we can conclude that the local Netherlands market is driving traffic growth, due to expansion of both LCCs and the SKYTEAM carriers.
The data also indicate that the airport is becoming less dependent on transfer traffic.
Jet Airways has pushed transito traffic, but these are relatively low numbers.
Long haul expansion is in line with general market growth.

Expect continued growth in 2017 as at 478.000 air transport movements, AMS is still some 32.000 movements away from its poltical maximum of 510.000 air transport movements.
Please note that these 478.000 movements are not the TOTAL aircraft movements for AMS. This stands at 496.256 movements and includes General Aviation and Government flights.

Thus far, for S17 a total of 16.000 new movements have been announced. In 2016 the airport reports 132 passengers per movement.
This translate in at least some 2 Million additional passengers, so it is reasonable to expect AMS to reach 66 Million in 2017.
 
mjoelnir
Posts: 9217
Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:06 pm

Re: List of busiest airports in Europe (2016)

Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:18 am

factsonly wrote:
B747forever wrote:

Top 3 growth 2016

1. LHR + 1%
2. CDG + 0.3%
3. AMS + 9.2%

What is the reason for this rapid growth at AMS?


AMS publishes its traffic flows in great detail, so here we go:

- Local O&D pax = 39.497.377 +12.2%
- Transfer pax = 24.036.333 +4.4%
- Transito (Jet Airways) = 91.954 +134%

of this passenger traffic:

- Europe = 45.121.520 +10.9%
- Intercontinental = 18.412.190 +4.8%

So we can conclude that the local Netherlands market is driving traffic growth, due to expansion of both LCCs and the SKYTEAM carriers.
The data also indicate that the airport is becoming less dependent on transfer traffic.
Jet Airways has pushed transito traffic, but these are relatively low numbers.
Long haul expansion is in line with general market growth.

Expect continued growth in 2017 as at 478.000 air transport movements, AMS is still some 32.000 movements away from its poltical maximum of 510.000 air transport movements.
Please note that these 478.000 movements are not the TOTAL aircraft movements for AMS. This stands at 496.256 movements and includes General Aviation and Government flights.

Thus far, for S17 a total of 16.000 new movements have been announced. In 2016 the airport reports 132 passengers per movement.
This translate in at least some 2 Million additional passengers, so it is reasonable to expect AMS to reach 66 Million in 2017.


The "local" market includes quite a bit of Germany. A good railway connection and well positioned regarding highway access draws passengers that would otherwise connect in FRA for flights you do not find out off DUS or CGN.
 
thomaaas
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:27 pm

Re: List of busiest airports in Europe (2016)

Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:35 am

The growth of AMS is impressive.
I do think that airports like FRA, DUS and AMS gained some traffic due to the attacks at BRU, which made the airport close for +- 2 weeks and also took several more weeks to operate at full capacity.
 
User avatar
SomebodyInTLS
Posts: 1804
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:31 pm

Re: List of busiest airports in Europe (2016)

Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:18 am

I'm surprised at the surprise about Amsterdam.

Way back in the seventies IIRC it was already claiming to be the busiest international airport or something - and they've done several BIG remodelling and updating exercises in the intervening years... The top ten seems quite "traditional" to me, with all the usual suspects in there - plus Istanbul.
"As with most things related to aircraft design, it's all about the trade-offs and much more nuanced than A.net likes to make out."
 
vv701
Posts: 5895
Joined: Fri Aug 19, 2005 10:54 am

Re: List of busiest airports in Europe (2016)

Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:52 am

AI126 wrote:
I'm amazed that even after all these years and despite all the procrastination about the third runway, LHR manages to keep its crown. Just goes to show how damn important London is to the global economy.


What surprised me is the data in the Wiki link provided by 'wolbo' above. It shows LHR passenger numbers increasing by almost 10M or 15 per cent over six years.

LHR passenger numbers were 65,881,660 in 2010. Last year they are reported as being 75,676,000.
 
LHRlocal
Posts: 123
Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2008 4:11 pm

Re: List of busiest airports in Europe (2016)

Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:10 pm

#8 on the list London Gatwick, 43 million odd passengers. One runway. I still think that is truly staggering & somewhat amazing.
LHRlocal
 
airbazar
Posts: 9910
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2003 11:12 pm

Re: List of busiest airports in Europe (2016)

Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:19 pm

anshabhi wrote:
The growth rate for European Airports is quite low.

I disagree with this statement.
Many airports are seeing significant growth rates. It's the more established hubs like LHR/CDG/FRA that see smaller growth rates. Just about every European airport broke passenger records in 2016. If you go down that list, the trend is obvious, hardly anyone had a growth rate of less than 5%, and many were in the double digits or close to it.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_t ... isional.29
 
factsonly
Posts: 2728
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:08 pm

Re: List of busiest airports in Europe (2016)

Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:21 pm

vv701 wrote:

What surprised me is the data in the Wiki link. It shows LHR passenger numbers increasing by almost 10M or 15 per cent over six years.

LHR passenger numbers were 65,881,660 in 2010. Last year they are reported as being 75,676,000.


Sorry, but LHR performance is disappointing, if you consider the airport's performance compared to overall market growth:

LHR growth per year:
- 2010: -0.2%
- 2011: +5.4%
- 2012: +0.9%
- 2013: +3.3%
- 2014: +1.4%
- 2015: +2.2%
- 2016: +0.9%

LHR AVERAGE: 1.9% per annum

This is well below average annual growth of air transport at 5.7% per annum, so LHR has actually lost market share.
 
User avatar
GCT64
Posts: 1782
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:34 pm

Re: List of busiest airports in Europe (2016)

Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:28 pm

lightsaber wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:
B752OS wrote:
Wow, the number of passengers in London is amazing - between LHR, LGW and STN you're talking over 140 million.

Imagine what it'd be if they had a cultural/political climate that actually encouraged, rather than actively stifle, aviation expansion.... :o

That is amazing. I'm amazed how much growth was at LTN.
Lightsaber


LHR+LGW+STN+LTN = over 157M pax off a total of only 5 runways !
Flown in: A20N,A21N,A30B,A306,A310,A319,A320,A321,A332,A333,A343,A346,A359,A388,BA11,BU31,(..56 more types..),VC10,WESX
 
spacecookie
Posts: 209
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2015 3:57 pm

Re: List of busiest airports in Europe (2016)

Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:29 pm

Mallorca is there... and now think that the main traffic I in the summer..
 
mict
Posts: 279
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:19 pm

Re: List of busiest airports in Europe (2016)

Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:32 pm

With the 2 Istanbul airport adding up to about 90M, it is safe to assume that the new Istanbul airport will be 2nd (or even 1st after a few years) on that list when it opens in 2018 / 2019.
 
anshabhi
Posts: 2146
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:40 am

Re: List of busiest airports in Europe (2016)

Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:33 pm

AI126 wrote:
I'm amazed that even after all these years and despite all the procrastination about the third runway, LHR manages to keep its crown. Just goes to show how damn important London is to the global economy.

For many Asian and American countries, London is the capital for entire Europe. With UK leaving EU, a lot of companies are moving out of there to other European countries. This might have a major impact in next 1-2 years.

Theresa May also said today:

"In order to control freedom of movement I will strip the 65 million citizens of the UK of their EU citizenship and remove their freedom to move, work and reside in 27 other European countries". This is bound to have a big impact on LHR...
 
User avatar
TOGA10
Posts: 257
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:49 am

Re: List of busiest airports in Europe (2016)

Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:40 pm

spacecookie wrote:
Mallorca is there... and now think that the main traffic I in the summer..

It gets incredibly busy in the summer, but they are in desperate need of serious ATC upgrading. Especially flying out of there can be a real nightmare with the chaos that is called delivery. It's useless at best. Missed a slot more than once because of not being able to get a word in (thanks partially to the Spanish chatter in between) and calling up less than 15 minutes before the actual slot, they won't let you push, even though you still have 20 odd minutes to start your take off roll.
Well done to AMS, impressive numbers.
Love flying, hate the alarm at 3 in the morning, love watching the sun rise at 5:30. It's all about compromises.
 
User avatar
EPA001
Posts: 3893
Joined: Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:13 pm

Re: List of busiest airports in Europe (2016)

Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:46 pm

thomaaas wrote:
The growth of AMS is impressive.
I do think that airports like FRA, DUS and AMS gained some traffic due to the attacks at BRU, which made the airport close for +- 2 weeks and also took several more weeks to operate at full capacity.


The situation in Brussels will surely helped AMS a little bit more to achieve the impressive growth rate. But the reasons are more diverse then only the situation in Brussels. Soon AMS might hit the maximum agreed number of flights. New negotiations are called for by several airlines and the Airport management itself. They need more room in their permits to grow further as it is an economic powerhouse for the Dutch economy of which especially Amsterdam is benefitting.
 
spacecookie
Posts: 209
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2015 3:57 pm

Re: List of busiest airports in Europe (2016)

Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:13 pm

TOGA10 wrote:
spacecookie wrote:
Mallorca is there... and now think that the main traffic I in the summer..

It gets incredibly busy in the summer, but they are in desperate need of serious ATC upgrading. Especially flying out of there can be a real nightmare with the chaos that is called delivery. It's useless at best. Missed a slot more than once because of not being able to get a word in (thanks partially to the Spanish chatter in between) and calling up less than 15 minutes before the actual slot, they won't let you push, even though you still have 20 odd minutes to start your take off roll.
Well done to AMS, impressive numbers.


I am located at Pmi, and I have a scanner I can make me an idea on how busy it gets and you just confirmed it.

Now there is not a lot of traffic but (few flights, they can operate with 1 runway) in summer it gets quite busy, in terms of take off and landings they are bringing people in with low distance...
many times you hear the cleared to land, and you can hear the minimums call, so it is quite close.
 
SCQ83
Posts: 5500
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:32 pm

Re: List of busiest airports in Europe (2016)

Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:42 pm

On the other hand, PMI in winter is also quite impressive.

Half of the airport is literally locked down and even in the part in operating there are many closed outlets (Starbucks, parts of El Corte Inglés, etc).
 
sierra3tango
Posts: 586
Joined: Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:59 pm

Re: List of busiest airports in Europe (2016)

Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:01 pm

My understanding is that a transfer pax is counted twice in these figures, correct if untrue?
Once for the arrival and once for the departure?

If so, in theory two airports publishing indentical pax numbers of say 50M,
one with 50% transfer = 25M pairs of boots
whilst another with 100% O&D is actually handling double the pax

Assuming these figures are so constructed, then the numbers are distorted (oranges to apples)
 
factsonly
Posts: 2728
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:08 pm

Re: List of busiest airports in Europe (2016)

Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:58 pm

sierra3tango wrote:
My understanding is that a transfer pax is counted twice in these figures, correct if untrue?
Once for the arrival and once for the departure?

If so, in theory two airports publishing indentical pax numbers of say 50M,
one with 50% transfer = 25M pairs of boots
whilst another with 100% O&D is actually handling double the pax

Assuming these figures are so constructed, then the numbers are distorted (oranges to apples)


You are incorrect, airports have an international agreement about counting passengers:

Airport figures according to ACI rules: Passengers counted as (1) Arrival + (2) Departure + (3) Transfer counted ONCE !

Check any airport statistics page and you will see this mentioned.
 
User avatar
LTU932
Posts: 13645
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2006 12:34 am

Re: List of busiest airports in Europe (2016)

Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:09 pm

B747forever wrote:
MaxTrimm wrote:
Wow! IST about to pass FRA.


More impressive is AMS. Now third busiest and even closing in on CDG.
Surely AMS is one of the busiest airports in Europe, but when I was there in December, it didn't feel like it. I found it pretty relaxed and easygoing there, no hectic at all. It only became a little hectic after I went through passport control to get to my gate and during boarding. For me, AMS was a dream, the best airport I've been so far next to DFW.
Sometimes the only thing more dangerous than a question is an answer. - Ferengi Rule of Acquisition 208
 
Jetty
Posts: 1148
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2015 12:27 pm

Re: List of busiest airports in Europe (2016)

Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:04 pm

mict wrote:
With the 2 Istanbul airport adding up to about 90M, it is safe to assume that the new Istanbul airport will be 2nd (or even 1st after a few years) on that list when it opens in 2018 / 2019.

SAW won't close after the new Istanbul airport opened, so I'm not sure a prediction based on the 2 current airports makes sense. Besides that Turkey is facing many risks that could impact air traffic demand and the willingness of people to transfer at IST. 2016 foreign investment down >50%, 2016 tourism down >30%. The new airport definitely has potential to become Europe's biggest, but that is by no means 'safe to assume'.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos