Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

qf789
Topic Author

MH370 Search Officially Suspended

Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:51 am

Officially announced today. MH370 search has been suspended

AFTER nearly three years, the hunt for Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 ended in futility and frustration, as crews completed their deep-sea search of a desolate stretch of the Indian Ocean without finding a trace of the plane.
The Joint Agency Coordination Center in Australia, which has helped lead the $160 million hunt for the Boeing 777 in remote waters west of Australia, said the search had officially been suspended after crews finished their fruitless sweep of the 120,000-square kilometere search zone.
“Despite every effort using the best science available, cutting-edge technology, as well as modelling and advice from highly skilled professionals who are the best in their field, unfortunately, the search has not been able to locate the aircraft,” the agency said in a statement, which was a joint communique between the transport ministers of Malaysia, Australia and China.
“Accordingly, the underwater search for MH370 has been suspended. The decision to suspend the underwater search has not been taken lightly nor without sadness.”

http://www.news.com.au/travel/travel-up ... 670c1d4557
Forum Moderator

atcsundevil

Re: MH370 Search Officially Suspended

Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:34 am

It's a shame that all of that time, money, and effort was unable to produce a result. It's also unfortunate for the families, investigators, searchers, and others who will continue to lack closure. It's never good when an aircraft has a crash with no definitive explanation, particularly one with an otherwise spotless service record.

At the very least, I hope that the global aviation industry can learn some important lessons from this. Namely, ensuring satellite tracking and data transmission on all aircraft, or at least those flying extended missions over water, and widebodies in particular.

MH370 and AF447 both reinforce the need for manufacturers to rethink flight data recorders and cockpit voice recorders. There must be a way for this information to be accessible to investigators in the event the aircraft wreckage itself becomes inaccessible. The aviation industry needs to know our mistakes to prevent them in the future, but we can't do that if we don't know what mistakes occurred. The technology exists, but as with everything, there must be a will for change.

qf789
Topic Author

Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:41 am

There was reports (unconfirmed) a couple of weeks ago where a former NTSB investigator suggested that Boeing would take the lead in a privately funded search for MH370

http://www.news.com.au/travel/travel-up ... b1fa1981d6
Forum Moderator

anshabhi

Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:54 am

Unfortunately, suspending the search is the only feasible option now.

KTPAFlyer

Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:55 am

It's almost spooky to think that even in 2014, it's actually possible to lose a commercial airliner with virtually no trace, despite being connected to radar, satellite, ground, and other aircraft. Seriously, how the hell is this even possible? At the least, it's baffling, and at the most, unfortunately, it's a mystery that may never be solved. The reality that many people will now have to face is that Malayasia flight 370 will become the prime example in the future for what can happen if you overlook even one thing. We may never know if it had a technical failure or was ill-fated before it even took off, but whatever the case, it has jolted the world's attention, and sometimes, it takes an alarming wake up call to bring about change.

777Jet

Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:56 am

This news is no surprise.

That the main wreckage site has not yet been found also comes as no surprise to me.

Hopefully this is the end of wasted Australian tax payer money on this.
DC10-10/30,MD82/88/90, 717,727,732/3/4/5/7/8/9ER,742/4,752/3,763/ER,772/E/L/3/W,788/9, 306,320,321,332/3,346,359,388

Strato2

Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:03 am

KTPAFlyer wrote:
It's almost spooky to think that even in 2014, it's actually possible to lose a commercial airliner with virtually no trace, despite being connected to radar, satellite, ground, and other aircraft. Seriously, how the hell is this even possible?

It's possible when there are highly skilled murderer(s) with a conserted effort to make it happen.

grbauc

Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:05 am

777Jet wrote:

That the main wreckage site has not yet been found also comes as no surprise to me.

If they found it it wouldn't of been wasted. I'm all for questioning government but there is a responsibility to the people. And I know you understand the leadership role you guys take in that part of the world.

dstc47

Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:50 am

What a sad result for all.
Perhaps a good time to thank all those who helped in the search, particularly Australia, and remember the families.

345tas

Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:08 am

While I have not been following the no doubt expert commentary on the main MH370 thread I think it's important to note that in December the Australian Transport Safety Bureau said that the plane is "probably" in an area to the north of the now-searched area:

Experts have identified a new area of approximately 25,000 sq km – between latitudes 33 degrees south and 36 degrees south – as “the area with the highest probability of containing the wreckage of the aircraft”, given the 110,000 sq km that have been eliminated.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/ ... lored-area

This area will not be searched.

I understand why the Australian government would be disinclined to continue paying for the search, but to be honest for the government of China the expense of searching this additional area is not that much in the scheme of things. Also for Malaysia, given this was a Malaysian aircraft with 50 Malaysians on board... I find their decision to not continue funding the search to be disappointing.

I hope some privately funded initiatives come to fruition.

ltbewr

Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:48 am

There comes a point due to economic, political, technological, cultural and practical reasons the search for MH370 had to end. Still we can learn how to reduce the risk of another MH370 like event as we do from aircraft losses and crashes. There seems to be 3 areas where improvements can be made.
As others have suggested, install tracking systems for all commercial aircraft that can operate independent of the electrical system and cannot be disconnected by on-aircraft staff and send certain signals when aircraft veer significantly off course or have certain problems like decompression, fires, electrical or mechanical issues. That would mean in immediate real time such aircraft can be seen by ATC's so actions can be taken by others while the pilots can do their jobs. It also means that a risk of mid-air collisions or flying into certain highly controlled airspaces can be avoided.
We must find ways to keep mentally, physically and economically unstable pilots out of the cockpit. The Germanwings and other 'suicide' events have roots in such issues with the PIC or co-pilot. Such changes may be difficult due to conflicting medical and personal privacy laws in most countries.

Improvements must be made with civilian government, military systems and staffing to be able to see better if an aircraft has gone off course. MH370 was not seen by military radar as it passed over certain land masses as no one at the screens, the disconnection of the tracking systems on the airplane and how it got lost in the normal traffic.We have seen due to decompression events in other parts of the world where aircraft have continued on for 100's of miles and due to military and civilian tracking, actions taken if the aircraft poses a military, terrorist or general risk to people on the ground. That should have happened with MH370 as it passed over the last land masses. If seen by Malasian and Indonesian ATC, military aircraft could have been dispatched to follow the plane and eventually other military and civilian resources deployed to follow and track MH370 better so had an idea why it 'went rouge' and where it might end up with greater precision.

CanadaFair

Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:35 pm

Only 160 million dollars spent in three years? thats nothing, so hypothetically if some global government was involved in unison, they staged a cheap drama of search for a few years for peanuts and got away with it, oh and scattered a few bits and pieces around Africa to confirm it has crashed, really what were the chances of the tiny RR engine logo washing ashore and being found by some stooge, yet it happened like in a film.
Last edited by CanadaFair on Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PW100

Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:37 pm

777Jet wrote:

I'm not sure if I agree that I was wasted. Apart from international treaties which govern such search efforts, I think it says a lot about Australia's moral and ethic values to take the lead in this effort, both in terms of leadership and cost. And I applaud Australia for that. Respect!

In any case, do you have the final cost numbers?. I believe the total search cost was around $140M, wonder what part Australia has funded.

Thanks,
PW100
Immigration officer: "What's the purpose of your visit to the USA?" Spotter: "Shooting airliners with my Canon!"

iamlucky13

Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:19 pm

KTPAFlyer wrote:
It's almost spooky to think that even in 2014, it's actually possible to lose a commercial airliner with virtually no trace, despite being connected to radar, satellite, ground, and other aircraft. Seriously, how the hell is this even possible?

There's never any serious expectation that ATC transponders would cease operating on an aircraft that continues to fly for thousands of miles in a radically different course than last recorded, into some of the remotest stretches of ocean on the planet.

It's a very different scenario than Air France 447, which was also outside of radar coverage, but in the general vicinity of its planned track, and where the first debris was spotted only about 1-1/2 days after its loss.

The latter is the sort of scenario we recognized as reasonably likely to occur. The former is not.

Also note that even though we knew roughly where AF 447 crashed, it still took searchers over a year to find the main wreckage. Searching the deep sea floor for an object as small (in relative terms) as a 777 is an incredibly difficult task.

Based on that recent example, once the evidence led the search for MH 370 to the southern Indian Ocean, I became increasingly doubtful it would ever be found. Even had it actually been tracked until presumed fuel depletion, I'm not sure we'd have found it by now, although our chances definitely would have been a lot higher.

DTWPurserBoy

Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:01 pm

IMHO in years to come as technology improves, someone may come across the remains. It was obvious that the person responsible for the accident did NOT want the wreckage found and carefully shut of ACARS and other instrumentation that would have been useful.

Perhaps someday, instead of onboard flight data and voice recorders the data will be constantly streamed to the ground so there will be no need to search half the world for a lost plane with its on/off switch permanently on so that if interrupted a loud alarm would go off in the cockpit and on the ground.

All blessings to the innocent souls on board and may peace come to their families and loved ones.
Qualified on Concorde/B707/B720/B727/B737/B747/B757/B767/B777/DC-8/DC-9/DC-10/A319/A320/A330/MD-88-90

MartijnNL

Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:55 pm

777Jet wrote:

Would this also have been your opinion if one of your relatives had been on board?

I must admit however that I have no idea how the bill is split between countries, companies or organisations. Probably not a fair division.

qf789
Topic Author

Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:50 pm

PW100 wrote:
777Jet wrote:

I'm not sure if I agree that I was wasted. Apart from international treaties which govern such search efforts, I think it says a lot about Australia's moral and ethic values to take the lead in this effort, both in terms of leadership and cost. And I applaud Australia for that. Respect!

In any case, do you have the final cost numbers?. I believe the total search cost was around $140M, wonder what part Australia has funded.

Thanks,
PW100

The breakdown was mentioned on skynews yesterday (programme The Last Word). Of the 160 million spent Australia spent $40 million, Malaysia $100 million and China $20 million.
Forum Moderator

rampbro

Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:16 pm

At some point in the distant future, a state agency will de-classify satellite records from the day MH370 went missing, and we will all know where she ended up. Until that day happens, 1 in 10 chance we gain any further understanding of what happened.

pa747sp

Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:42 pm

777Jet wrote:

Searching for the wreckage was a necessary part of the investigation. Had they found it it could have lead to improvements that avoid similar tragedies in future, and saving lives. Those lives could be Australian. It seems to me that it was a reasonable use of taxpayer money.
Nothing seems as good since the VC10.

TWA772LR

Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:01 am

It sounds like civil aviation has found its own version of the Titanic. It's weird how life has mysteries that feel like they are supposed to be unsolved.

RIP MH370's victims.
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

iamlucky13

Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:09 am

rampbro wrote:
At some point in the distant future, a state agency will de-classify satellite records from the day MH370 went missing, and we will all know where she ended up. Until that day happens, 1 in 10 chance we gain any further understanding of what happened.

Which satellite records are you purporting exist that could locate MH370?

caoimhin

Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:26 am

I remember having read every page of that original thread for months, thinking that any day I would wake up to read news about the discovery of the wreckage. I think I stopped at page 65. I never would have guessed that three years on there would be so many questions unanswered.

Revelation

Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:27 am

KTPAFlyer wrote:

It's similar to how on 9/11/2001 it was possible for terrorists to carry box cutters onto an airplane and kill the crew and fly the planes into the WTC. It's all about how much trust you give to others. In this case, there is a lot of trust being given to the aircrew, and if they go about disabling the devices we use to track the aircraft, the aircraft won't be tracked.
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

32andBelow

Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:55 am

Didn't a great amount of ocean floor mapping get done in the search? At least we got some research out of it.

alaskan9974

Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:13 am

Revelation wrote:
KTPAFlyer wrote:

It's similar to how on 9/11/2001 it was possible for terrorists to carry box cutters onto an airplane and kill the crew and fly the planes into the WTC. It's all about how much trust you give to others. In this case, there is a lot of trust being given to the aircrew, and if they go about disabling the devices we use to track the aircraft, the aircraft won't be tracked.

Yes it is unthinkable that a member of the flight crew would intentionally cause harm to passengers, but there are tragic examples of it.

The solution lies within other members of the crew preventing this action. Perhaps a deeper look at emotional or behavioral red flags of essential crew. There really isn't anything to stop this once it takes place, as I don't see any remote override of flight controls being feasible. There is always risk in flying, however small. Same with any mode of public transportation when the operation of the vehicle is out of your hands.

777Jet

Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:15 am

grbauc wrote:
I'm all for questioning government but there is a responsibility to the people. And I know you understand the leadership role you guys take in that part of the world.

Seems more like a face gaining / face saving exercise on Australia's part. Remember when ex-PM Tony Abbott was certain the sonar signals detected were from 9M-MRO, and was certain it would be found, but the signals turned out to be a dolphins tracking collar? LOL

PW100 wrote:
Apart from international treaties which govern such search efforts, I think it says a lot about Australia's moral and ethic values to take the lead in this effort, both in terms of leadership and cost.

Such responsibilities cover the search and *rescue* phase and ended after the plane was officially declared lost despite any real hopes of recuse ending months earlier.

MartijnNL wrote:
Would this also have been your opinion if one of your relatives had been on board?

Yes. I would not expect another country to contribute to the search of another country's lost item months later let alone years later. I'd only expect Australia to pay if it was an Australian owned / registered aircraft. After the Search and Resuce phase ended, I would expect Malaysia to foot the entire cost of looking for their plane.

qf789 wrote:
The breakdown was mentioned on skynews yesterday (programme The Last Word). Of the 160 million spent Australia spent $40 million, Malaysia $100 million and China $20 million.

Different sources provide different numbers so I guess we will never know the truth, as with most things MH370:

https://thewest.com.au/opinion/malaysia ... b88353542z

'Malaysia, China must step up in search for MH370'

""""The cost of the search is unclear but analysts believe it is about $190 million. Malaysia has paid $100 million, Australia $70 million and China $20 million.

China’s contribution has been pitiful given MH370 was a code-share with China Southern Airlines and carried the airline’s flight number CZ748. There were 153 Chinese on board. China needs to contribute more...
Malaysia and China should bite the bullet, provide the $40 million to $50 million needed to extend the search and do the right thing for the families of the 239 passengers and crew lost.""""

pa747sp wrote:
Searching for the wreckage was a necessary part of the investigation. Had they found it it could have lead to improvements that avoid similar tragedies in future, and saving lives. Those lives could be Australian. It seems to me that it was a reasonable use of taxpayer money.

Depends which country's tax payer money you are talking about. Those future saved lives could be from any country so why not get every country to pitch in? Malaysia's lost plane so IMHO they should be paying the entire bill after the Search and Rescue phase ended. Given how many Chinese were on board and the wealth of China I'd expect China to pitch in some coin too on moral grounds. Australia has exceeded any responsibilities / reasonable expectations.
DC10-10/30,MD82/88/90, 717,727,732/3/4/5/7/8/9ER,742/4,752/3,763/ER,772/E/L/3/W,788/9, 306,320,321,332/3,346,359,388

SomebodyInTLS

Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:18 am

qf789 wrote:

Thanks for that. Pretty much what I expected. Funny how certain people kept claiming Malaysia wasn't pulling its weight...
"As with most things related to aircraft design, it's all about the trade-offs and much more nuanced than A.net likes to make out."

SomebodyInTLS

Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:27 am

alaskan9974 wrote:
Revelation wrote:
KTPAFlyer wrote:

Yes it is unthinkable that a member of the flight crew would intentionally cause harm to passengers, but there are tragic examples of it.

The solution lies within other members of the crew preventing this action. Perhaps a deeper look at emotional or behavioral red flags of essential crew. There really isn't anything to stop this once it takes place, as I don't see any remote override of flight controls being feasible. There is always risk in flying, however small. Same with any mode of public transportation when the operation of the vehicle is out of your hands.

And still with the captain-did-it certainties.

Did no-one else connect the recent assertion from the French authorities about the Egyptair crash (probably initiated by iPhone/iPad in sun & next to windscreen heater) to the early threads discussing plausible fire-in-cockpit scenarios as a cause of MH370? I rate this type of issue more likely than an unnecessarily complex and convoluted act of terrorism with no motive, goal, statement or outcome...
"As with most things related to aircraft design, it's all about the trade-offs and much more nuanced than A.net likes to make out."

AirlineCritic

Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:00 pm

Wrong decision. In my opinion. Hope there'll be a continuation in some form, some day, and a result. I think the Chinese should pitch in their resources in this case.

art

Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:36 pm

CanadaFair wrote:
Only 160 million dollars spent in three years? thats nothing,

How much would need to spent to be something? I guess billions more could be spent with MH370 still eluding detection.

Revelation

Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:34 pm

SomebodyInTLS wrote:

Did no-one else connect the recent assertion from the French authorities about the Egyptair crash (probably initiated by iPhone/iPad in sun & next to windscreen heater) to the early threads discussing plausible fire-in-cockpit scenarios as a cause of MH370? I rate this type of issue more likely than an unnecessarily complex and convoluted act of terrorism with no motive, goal, statement or outcome...

To me it's an Occam's Razor thing, but you are entitled to hold your opinion too.

In any case, crew actions cannot be ruled out, so the industry should be trying to improve the way some systems operate.
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

qf789
Topic Author

Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:55 pm

A team of experts say they know where MH370 is

The message to the Australian, Malaysian and Chinese governments from the world’s aviation experts on the disappearance of MH370 is as simple as it is blunt — we have the evidence. “We have the X marks the spots they say they want - of that there is no question and we have had it since November last year,”

The cost of searching this new area would be around A$40-50 million and would take around another 7-8 months to search

However this is how these experts view the suspension of the search

it appears a head-in-the-sand Malaysian Government just wants to bury the issue, a timid Australian Government is willing to go along and the Chinese Government simply doesn’t care. 
Together, they've concocted a statement worthy of classic British TV series Yes Minister or the cult movie Catch-22.
As Blaine Gibson, who has found 10 pieces of debris, noted on social media: “There is absolutely no excuse for not searching the new area.”
“The official statement is a fancy way of saying we will not look for it again until we find it.
“It is as comical as it is tragic.”

http://www.airlineratings.com/news/1025 ... here-it-is
Forum Moderator

PW100

Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:22 pm

777Jet wrote:
PW100 wrote:
Apart from international treaties which govern such search efforts, I think it says a lot about Australia's moral and ethic values to take the lead in this effort, both in terms of leadership and cost.

Such responsibilities cover the search and *rescue* phase and ended after the plane was officially declared lost despite any real hopes of recuse ending months earlier.

All the more respect for Australia's moral and ethic values . . . !

qf789 wrote:

Well, a team of experts have been working on just that for almost three years now . . .
Who decides who's a (team of) expert(s) . . . ?
Immigration officer: "What's the purpose of your visit to the USA?" Spotter: "Shooting airliners with my Canon!"

gzm

Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:10 pm

(Wikipedia) Unit cost: 777-200ER:US$261,5 million - 777-200LR:US$296 million - 777-300ER:US320,2 million. As you see they did not spend that much. Only half the cost of a new Boeing 777...Compared to Greece's debt which is...in the billions this is peanuts. Also I am one of those who,with a mechanical type of logic,ventured a theory that in the case of MH370 there could have been an explosion of some kind from the inside of the cockpit-as opposed to MH17-which was laughed at. I am also one who believes that the debris were not planted on purpose, therefore the plane was completely broken up, so there's nothing to find guys. I am also startled to read that some people still believe that inexperienced terrorists sat at the controls of two,not one Boeing 767s and managed to literally pass the thread through the needle with such art on both occasions. Good Heavens,no way!

SomebodyInTLS

Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:12 pm

Revelation wrote:
SomebodyInTLS wrote:

To me it's an Occam's Razor thing, but you are entitled to hold your opinion too.

In any case, crew actions cannot be ruled out, so the industry should be trying to improve the way some systems operate.

Thanks. For me Occam's Razor is actually what makes a deliberate act less likely (seems like an awful lot of assumptions about motive, means & method are required) - but it's good that neither of us are ruling things out.

What I don't like is when people talk like captain-did-it is an established fact..

klm617

Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:42 pm

KTPAFlyer wrote:
It's almost spooky to think that even in 2014, it's actually possible to lose a commercial airliner with virtually no trace, despite being connected to radar, satellite, ground, and other aircraft. Seriously, how the hell is this even possible? At the least, it's baffling, and at the most, unfortunately, it's a mystery that may never be solved. The reality that many people will now have to face is that Malayasia flight 370 will become the prime example in the future for what can happen if you overlook even one thing. We may never know if it had a technical failure or was ill-fated before it even took off, but whatever the case, it has jolted the world's attention, and sometimes, it takes an alarming wake up call to bring about change.

That's because nobody really want's it to be found and the powers that be have been sending search parties on wild goose chases since day one only the families want it found so they can have closure.
the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...

tjerome

Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:32 pm

TWA772LR wrote:
It sounds like civil aviation has found its own version of the Titanic. It's weird how life has mysteries that feel like they are supposed to be unsolved.

RIP MH370's victims.

I was going to say modern day Amelia Earhart flight, because 1. Amelia Earhart was flying a plane and 2. we don't know what happened to Amelia and that is the same for MH370.

With Titantic, when Carpathia (one of the rescue ships) arrived in New York, the survivors could tell everyone what happened. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RMS_Titan ... n_New_York

Anyway it is unfortunate to see this search be suspended. I hope at one point in my lifetime we will know what happened but as time goes on the odds keep on getting slimmer and slimmer.

TheFlyingDisk

Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:15 pm

qf789 wrote:

The message to the Australian, Malaysian and Chinese governments from the world’s aviation experts on the disappearance of MH370 is as simple as it is blunt — we have the evidence. “We have the X marks the spots they say they want - of that there is no question and we have had it since November last year,”

The cost of searching this new area would be around A$40-50 million and would take around another 7-8 months to search

it appears a head-in-the-sand Malaysian Government just wants to bury the issue, a timid Australian Government is willing to go along and the Chinese Government simply doesn’t care. 
Together, they've concocted a statement worthy of classic British TV series Yes Minister or the cult movie Catch-22.
As Blaine Gibson, who has found 10 pieces of debris, noted on social media: “There is absolutely no excuse for not searching the new area.”
“The official statement is a fancy way of saying we will not look for it again until we find it.

The Malaysian government is now on an austerity drive thanks to a weakening currency & economic uncertainties due to low oil prices plus Trump's election (China's facing the same as well). Not surprising that they need more than "hey it's there, trust us" to continue the search, especially since the experts have been saying the exact same thing for the past few years and have not been successful.

Why can't the experts proceed with an exploratory expedition to confirm that the plane's there?
I FLY KLM+ALASKA+QATAR+MALAYSIA+AIRASIA+MALINDO

777Jet

Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:34 am

qf789 wrote:

A.net also has a so called 'expert' who claims with certainty to know exactly what happened and where; 9M-MRO was shot down over the South China Sea ;)

gzm wrote:
I am also startled to read that some people still believe that inexperienced terrorists sat at the controls of two,not one Boeing 767s and managed to literally pass the thread through the needle with such art on both occasions. Good Heavens,no way!

Please leave 9/11 conspiracy theories out of this MH370 thread. Even after GermanWings, and the pilot suicide incidents before MH370, you still continued to dismiss the possibility that one of the pilots might have gone rogue.

Now, where is that one poster who asserted that there was a 98% or so chance that 9M-MRO would be found in the area searched, and laughed it off when I said it was more like a 5% chance? You know who you are, what say you now?

BirdBrain

Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:03 am

Sorry for side tracking a bit, there was some mention that there will be increased pings/handshakes for flight which go over isolated parts of the world. This was a quick but temporary solution using existing ACARS equipment. This would not solve what happened but leave more clues of the path the flight took in case it was lost. Or was that already available with the enhanced service by satellite company? I really have no idea about this and maybe it was never mentioned, apologies if this is a dumb or inappropriate question.

qf789
Topic Author

Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:46 pm

Boeing has ruled out speculation it will mount its own search

http://www.couriermail.com.au/travel/tr ... abec3d4385
Forum Moderator

frmrCapCadet

Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:17 pm

Scientific American has a short article on the results of the search for Flight 370. (there is a NPR note, but no story in our news section today). There are significant science advancements on mapping, and understanding the geology of the vast Indian Ocean. This will be a permanent benefit for the world. Perhaps somehow those lost in this tragic crash could be memorialized by that scientific advancement.
Buffet: the airline business...has eaten up capital...like..no other (business)

ikolkyo

Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:35 pm

I'm sorry but in this day in age a sophisticated plane should not be able to just vanish like this, I don't mean to cause any stupid arguments or try to sound like some conspiracy theorist but it's just ridiculous IMO that this plane can't be found.

airtechy

Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:53 pm

I certainly hope that any worldwide tracking system the experts ultimately come up with can not be disabled from the cockpit (for safety or any other reason) or we will be in this same situation the next time an event like this occurs.

buzzard302

Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:08 pm

One of the biggest mysteries in aviation. It has fascinated me since the beginning, and I always hoped they would find it. Maybe in my lifetime, but not likely. Some thing we will just never know...

klm617

Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:10 pm

ikolkyo wrote:
I'm sorry but in this day in age a sophisticated plane should not be able to just vanish like this, I don't mean to cause any stupid arguments or try to sound like some conspiracy theorist but it's just ridiculous IMO that this plane can't be found.

Iagree someone doesn't want this plane found for whatever reason. First off when a commercial airliner turns around and flies in th opiste direction and that doesn't raise red flags.
the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...

TigerFlyer

Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:30 pm

It's a big ocean. Deployable GPS locators would solve this problem. Standard issue on marine vessels.

Per this thread Airbus is the first to develop this as an option for the A350. viewtopic.php?t=1366361

VirginFlyer

Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:26 pm

klm617 wrote:
Iagree someone doesn't want this plane found for whatever reason. First off when a commercial airliner turns around and flies in th opiste direction and that doesn't raise red flags.

If by "someone" you mean "the Indian Ocean", and if by "whatever reason" you mean "because the Indian Ocean is so enormously big, and the search area was so broadly defined owing to the large degree of uncertainty in where the aircraft might conceivably have ended up", then yes I would tend to agree with you. With the pro viso of course that I sincerely doubt the Indian Ocean is hiding the aircraft out of any sense of malice, or as part of some nefarious alliance with crabpeople or reptilian shapeshifting aliens. The Indian Ocean is after all an inanimate object devoid of its own sentience, I think you'll agree.

V/F
It is not for him to pride himself who loveth his own country, but rather for him who loveth the whole world. The earth is but one country, and mankind its citizens. —Bahá'u'lláh

boacvc10

Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:47 pm

qf789 wrote:
Officially announced today. MH370 search has been suspended

“... Despite every effort using the best science available, cutting-edge technology, as well as modelling and advice from highly skilled professionals who are the best in their field, unfortunately, the search has not been able to locate the aircraft,... ”

http://www.news.com.au/travel/travel-up ... 670c1d4557

I was thinking over the last few months of the possibility the satellite pings were not reliable - unless they were reliable and the aircraft is really in the Sea and we will find it there proving me wrong. I have experienced "ducting" in long distance radio transmissions where due to atmosphere artifacts (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atmospheric_duct) the radio waves do not appear from the original direction, or are often amplified/attenuated as mother nature wants them to be. Many years ago (1980s) I got a very strong signal VHF color TV signal from UAE (near DXB) when I was living in Bangladesh (near the old DAC) - and it was puzzling at first how that could be possible - since I had a PAL color tv, that was able to receive and display the color tv signal. I had to orient my RX antenna and that was it. Who knew? I looked up the station by the World Radio TV Handbook and confirmed time/channel/content. Now HF and VHF and higher frequencies duct differently - there are many treatises on this topic. As the satellite "pings" reported depend upon the reception of transponder signals at the receiver from a mobile transmitter was the possibility of signal ducting considered during their analysis? Not all antennas are narrow-beam width (by design), and ducting can happen in various ways, or the signals can be monitored to be coming from different directions and yes it includes satellites. If anyone could point me to the latest report on the satellite ping analysis I would like to study the nature by which they confirmed the signals are in fact coming from that quadrant that they think they did.

BOACVC10
Up, up and Away!

SomebodyInTLS

Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:09 am

boacvc10 wrote:
Not all antennas are narrow-beam width (by design), and ducting can happen in various ways, or the signals can be monitored to be coming from different directions and yes it includes satellites. If anyone could point me to the latest report on the satellite ping analysis I would like to study the nature by which they confirmed the signals are in fact coming from that quadrant that they think they did.

Well the satellite ping analysis is all based on timing (like GPS) and nothing to do with directionality. Also the effects you describe are all atmospheric AFAIK, which would not have much influence on signals to and from geostationary orbit. The interim report goes into a lot of detail on all the frequency phase-shift analysis etc. used to determine direction of travel and so on - so I very much doubt they would have missed what you're describing.

I know there was some update a few months ago but can't find it now. This might be a place to start - there are a couple of links to relevant documents at the bottom.

https://www.atsb.gov.au/publications/20 ... ng-offset/