FWAERJ

Re: UAL names first 777-300ER "New Spirit of United"

Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:14 pm

deltal1011man wrote:
Also it looks like the font UA use to use back in the old days when they did name their aircraft. Sameish location too, IIRC.

The font in question is FF Clan, which UA has used since the CO merger "customer day one" for all but web use (UA uses Open Sans for the web). FF Clan was one of the few things of the Smisek era that was retained under Munoz (i.e.: the Polaris logo and cabin uses it extensively).

It's not the same font as in the old days because FF Clan was originally created for the Scottish government in 2006.
B721/722/731/732/733/735/73G/738/739/742/752/753/762/763, A300/319/320, DC-9/10, MD-82/83/88/90, ERJ-140/145, CRJ-200/700, Q200, SF340, AS350

DoctorVenkman

Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:29 pm

OA412 wrote:
DoctorVenkman wrote:
OA412 wrote:
What is with UA doing everything half-assed? New Spirit of United is just awful. AA and DL marketing departments run circles around UAs. And yes, before anyone chimes in, I know that no one flies an airline based on these sorts of things, but marketing is important, and UAs just isn't up to par with DL or AA.

It's amazing the lengths people will go to bash UA. I don't like the name either but to use it as an excuse to pass judgment on UA's marketing is riduclous. How is the name of an airplane related to UA's marketing capability? Literally no one cares what an aircraft is named outside of a small subset of aviation geeks. Do you have any objective figures to prove UA's marketing failures or is it just based on your subjective opinion of them?

I'm not going to any great lengths. As this is a discussion forum, I'm posting my opinion just like everyone else that this is a half-assed move just like everything else UA has done respecting the merger. The livery, integration, everything has the impression of being half-hearted. Meanwhile, AA and DL both pulled off fairly seamless mergers, and are now running circles around UA in most respects. That is my opinion. You are free to disagree.

I'm not here to argue opinions. In fact, our opinions are the same in this case (we both don't like the name). However you are making an objective claim that UA's marketing department is inferior to DL's and AA's. I don't see any evidence that that is the case. There are numerous metrics to track the effectiveness of a marketing campaign - if you are making such a claim the onus is on you to provide that evidence. Until then, your claims are baseless.

Polot

Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:33 pm

deltal1011man wrote:
Also it looks like the font UA use to use back in the old days when they did name their aircraft. Sameish location too, IIRC.

It is also sameish location as where CO placed the names of their named aircraft (i.e. Robert F. Six, Gordon Bethune 777s). Also in blue, although UA's font looks larger than what CO used.

MSPNWA

Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:04 pm

OA412 wrote:
Oh come on! This is rich considering your contributions in the DL threads.

deltal1011man wrote:
You have absolutely no room to ever call anyone out on this at all. If this thread was about DL doing the exact same thing you would be crapping all over it.

Figures. Your only defense for your hypocritical behavior is a fallacious personal attack. I've never made any cheap potshots about other airlines naming planes.

United1

Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:10 pm

[photoid][/photoid]
bgm wrote:
jetblue777 wrote:
A bit off topic but are there any photos online of UA's Y product on the 77W?

In order to make room for the new Polaris seats, they had to economize down the back...

Those are not UAs Y seats.....
I know the voices in my head aren't real but sometimes their ideas are just awesome!!!

Squeezix

Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:34 pm

ZKNCL wrote:
Squeezix wrote:
Looks like they misspelled Continental.

Ugh, here we go again.

Yep, and here we'll keep going. United insults its legacy employees by calling it the "New" spirit when it's plastered on to the three-decade old livery of a different airline.

uberflieger

Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:12 pm

hOMSaR wrote:
Cue the UA/NK merger rumors?

:rotfl:

After years of an acrimonious merger UA & CO seem to slowly come together under Munoz. While not 'original' this is a message of hope to employees around the world. :thumbsup:

UA444

Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:40 pm

TW870 wrote:
Has any aircraft in the UA fleet worn the name "spirit of United"? I am just not sure why "New Spirit of United" makes sense - unless they are just saying the new jet gives the company a new spirit. They do not mention any historical context on their instagram, so I am assuming the answer is no.

I agree with other posters that the font leaves much creativity to be desired.

N225UA was Spirit of United when it was delivered after 9/11. Slimeball Smisek got rid of it when he vandalized all of UA's ac

UA444

Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:42 pm

[twoid][/twoid]
Squeezix wrote:
ZKNCL wrote:
Squeezix wrote:
Looks like they misspelled Continental.

Ugh, here we go again.

Yep, and here we'll keep going. United insults its legacy employees by calling it the "New" spirit when it's plastered on to the three-decade old livery of a different airline.

I love how any criticism about the fact the livery is stale, unoriginal, and old is met with the same pushback about how it's not important.

bgm

Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:27 pm

UA444 wrote:
[twoid][/twoid]
Squeezix wrote:
ZKNCL wrote:

Ugh, here we go again.

I love how any criticism about the fact the livery is stale, unoriginal, and old is met with the same pushback about how it's not important.

Every time I see the UA/CO livery, I keep expecting to see that annoying animated Microsoft Word paperclip :duck:
OK boomer.

SPREE34

Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:36 pm

Just bring back the "Mainliner" and "Clipper" nose names. Call that one "Clipper Long Legs" or "Mainliner Blackjack".
I don't understand everything I don't know about this.

intotheair

Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:58 pm

FWAERJ wrote:
deltal1011man wrote:

The font in question is FF Clan, which UA has used since the CO merger "customer day one" for all but web use (UA uses Open Sans for the web). FF Clan was one of the few things of the Smisek era that was retained under Munoz (i.e.: the Polaris logo and cabin uses it extensively).

It's not the same font as in the old days because FF Clan was originally created for the Scottish government in 2006.

Yes, but the first time UA ever used Clan was actually when Hemispheres received a huge overhaul around 2009.

I actually think it looks nice. It pairs well with UA's post-merger identity, and it's better than the mix of Futura and Helvetica Condensed that CO used as a supplementary type. The only thing I don't like about it is that Clan is also the typeface of the TSA. Not sure who first started using it widely, but I think the TSA was using Clan before UA adopted it for everything.
300 319 320 321 332 333 345 346 380 717 733 734 735 73G 738 739 744 752 753 762 763 772 77W 788 789 CR2 CR7 CR9 CRK Q400 E175 DC10 MD82 MD90
AA AF AS AY AZ B6 BA BR DL F9 FI GA HA KF LH MI QX SK SN SQ UA US VY WN

aviationjunky

Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:57 am

hOMSaR wrote:
Cue the UA/NK merger rumors?

Honestly! I thought for sure someone would say something about it. :P
LAS is Life

N353SK

Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:06 am

amax1977 wrote:
Nice name. But, why didn't they mark the ER after the 777-300 under the nose?

https://www.instagram.com/p/BPX8kTFhFlE

I'm going to guess that it says 777-300 under the radome as some sort of reminder to the pushback crew about the length of these new planes, so the ER isn't really necessary.

jakubz
Topic Author

Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:38 am

I would have thought that they would have 777-300ER on the nose since the wingspan is different. That said, UAL doesn't have 777-300's, so it's not like they have to keep the two models straight.
KORD>RJAA>KORD day trip? Why not! The beauty of non-reving.
Yes, I use ICAO codes
Flown: PA-28, PA-38
Passenger on: A319/A320 737, 747-400, 757, 767, 777, 787-8/9
Finally got on a 747!

I work for United Airlines, but I don't speak for the company.

jakubz
Topic Author

Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:21 am

Wow, a lot to reply to... lets see where to start.

TWA772LR wrote:
How about "Spirit of the New United"?

thegoldenargosy wrote:
Wouldn't "The Spirit of the New United" be more catchy? Who does their marketing?

Oscar has said "New Spirit of United" on numerous occasions. My hunch is that this played off of that.

JBLUA320 wrote:
I'd say this about sums up their marketing department's (or brand team's) creative ability quite well.

OA412 wrote:
What is with UA doing everything half-assed? New Spirit of United is just awful. AA and DL marketing departments run circles around UAs. And yes, before anyone chimes in, I know that no one flies an airline based on these sorts of things, but marketing is important, and UAs just isn't up to par with DL or AA.

b747400erf wrote:
OA412 wrote:
What is with UA doing ...

Marketing is full of people that could not do anything worthwhile. They are best left doing snarky and funny social media posts instead of thinking up grand campaigns. And the mega consulting firms are just as bad. Paying people hundreds of thousands a year for ideas a student could think up for a project.

Cut them some slack on this one. It didn't originate in the the marketing department.

ordpark wrote:
Most of you are missing the point....I believe this is more for the employees of United then any sort of marketing thing! As much as a great many of you don't want to admit it, there has been a massive attitude change at United over the last few years by most employees. We seem to have assembled a Management team that finally GETS IT! They actually have a PLAN! And most of us want to see United succeed. If you don't like the slogan....FINE! Don't like the slogan! United's gonna be just fine....

DoctorVenkman wrote:
OA412 wrote:
What is with UA doing ...

It's amazing the lengths people will go to bash UA. I don't like the name either but to use it as an excuse to pass judgment on UA's marketing is riduclous. How is the name of an airplane related to UA's marketing capability? Literally no one cares what an aircraft is named outside of a small subset of aviation geeks. Do you have any objective figures to prove UA's marketing failures or is it just based on your subjective opinion of them?

I also agree that this is more for the employees than the customers. That said, there is nothing wrong if the customer notices.

MSPNWA wrote:
Seems like a very appropriate gesture. The new 77W is symbolically a fresh rebirth. ...

Given the change at UAL under Oscar, that sounds pretty spot on.

Polot wrote:
deltal1011man wrote:

It is also sameish location as where CO placed the names of their named aircraft (i.e. Robert F. Six, Gordon Bethune 777s). Also in blue, although UA's font looks larger than what CO used.

Sounds about right to me. They might have even used those as the template for this. It wouldn't surprise me.
Yes, I use ICAO codes
Finally got on a 747!

B737900ER

Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:22 am

When will people get the idea in their heads that marketing wasn't involved? This isn't a marketing placard. If it was you'd see it by the door. If people actually read the other post in this thread, instead of trying to ram their agendas down our throats, this would be a more productive site. Now it's basically flyertalk 2.0

VHTAE

Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:47 am

Qantas' "Spirit of Australia" will forever sound good!

skipness1E

Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:14 pm

"We love the tulip! It is so iconic!" #nextbreath "All marketeers are a waste of space."
And think about that for just a minute!

VC10er

Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:22 pm

skipness1E wrote:
"We love the tulip! It is so iconic!" #nextbreath "All marketeers are a waste of space."
And think about that for just a minute!

I thought about it for a second and find the comment "All marketeers are a waste of space." absurd and uninformed.
To Most the Sky is The Limit, For me, the Sky is Home.

DoctorVenkman

Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:17 pm

B737900ER wrote:
When will people get the idea in their heads that marketing wasn't involved? This isn't a marketing placard. If it was you'd see it by the door. If people actually read the other post in this thread, instead of trying to ram their agendas down our throats, this would be a more productive site. Now it's basically flyertalk 2.0

People just want to jump on UA with any chance they can get. Not much critical thinking going on.

jetwet1

Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:30 pm

avi8tir wrote:
This is completely lame. I have been a GS for 5 years on UA and, yes, I am saying that!

Be original and don't copy Delta!!

It's not meant for you.

OA412 wrote:

it's not meant for us, or to take a piece from AA or DL.

B737900ER wrote:
ordpark wrote:
Most of you are missing the point....I believe this is more for the employees of United then any sort of marketing thing! As much as a great many of you don't want to admit it, there has been a massive attitude change at United over the last few years by most employees. We seem to have assembled a Management team that finally GETS IT! They actually have a PLAN! And most of us want to see United succeed. If you don't like the slogan....FINE! Don't like the slogan! United's gonna be just fine....

Every time Oscar opens his mouth to speak to employees he mentions the "new spirit of United". It's not marketing, it's a reminder, mostly to the people who will see it most every time the aircraft pulls into a gate. If you aren't an employee you won't get it, and that's fine, it's not for you.

Bingo ! we have a winner.

bgm wrote:
jetblue777 wrote:
A bit off topic but are there any photos online of UA's Y product on the 77W?

In order to make room for the new Polaris seats, they had to economize down the back...

I think you are mistaken, those are the current seats in Y on the UA 737 fleet.......

ZKNCL

Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:51 am

UA444 wrote:
[twoid][/twoid]
Squeezix wrote:
ZKNCL wrote:

Ugh, here we go again.

Except this thread isn't supposed to be about the livery is it?

klwright69

Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:36 am

I agree, it's a bit corny, but it is what it is. Most people will not pay that close attention.
I guess some of the bitterness here will never fade. Sad.
Good grief, I agree. Such a trite and overwrought topic.

pdx

Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:41 am

SPREE34 wrote:
Just bring back the "Mainliner" and "Clipper" nose names. Call that one "Clipper Long Legs" or "Mainliner Blackjack".

Why didn't they name it "777-300 Friend Ship"? They have zero creativity.

tpaewr

Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:56 pm

The problem with United is it lacks any definition from either predecessor or anything new .

Old UA had illusions of grandeur (real or not) and CO had swagger and cockiness (merited or not).

New United feels like a watered down version of either or any other random airline. It inspires no one; employee or customer.

bgm

Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:06 pm

tpaewr wrote:
The problem with United is it lacks any definition from either predecessor or anything new .

Old UA had illusions of grandeur (real or not) and CO had swagger and cockiness (merited or not).

New United feels like a watered down version of either or any other random airline. It inspires no one; employee or customer.

:checkmark: Sums it up perfectly. There is no innovation, no momentum, no passion, no pride. Have they even reached an FA agreement yet, or are they still working on the metal of their almost 7-years defunct predecessor airlines?

Delta has a vision, an energy. Heck, even American has more drive going forward. I can't help but feel if there was some kind of major rebranding, it would breathe new life and energy into UA's employees, and make people want to fly UA again. The current livery/branding is dull, bland, and tarnished with all the problems of the past 6 years.
OK boomer.

DaufuskieGuy

Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:26 pm

tpaewr wrote:

yep I think the return of the tulip is in order, going with the globe was a split identity mistake.

BobPatterson

Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:43 pm

The spirit of rancor into which many threads descend here is quite amazing. This is not about brand or branding.

From: http://finance.yahoo.com/news/united-ai ... 00868.html

"This aircraft symbolizes the new spirit, the energy and enthusiasm that I have seen in our employees who take great pride in the work they are doing to take care of our customers and one another," said Oscar Munoz, chief executive officer of United Airlines. "The new 777-300ER fleet will play a crucial role in connecting our customers to far-away destinations and to the moments that matter most."

"The "New Spirit of United" is exemplified by the significant progress the company made in operational reliability last year – achieving its best full-year on-time performance in company history, the elevated customer experience and the completion of new agreements with every domestic unionized work group in 2016. As United Airlines continues to build on this momentum, this new aircraft serves as a symbol of the hard work, professionalism and dedication of the entire United team to our customers."

It of course remains to be seen whether this is a one-on slogan or whether it will also appear on all new 777-300ERs this year. While is might be viewed as the name of an aircraft, the real intent is to congratulate UA employees for the results from their hard work and also to exhort them to further improvements in service.

Comparing this to marketing campaigns by other airlines is simply nonsense.

Think of the slogans on the nose of all JetBlue aircraft. Marketing to the public had nothing to do with them. They were for employee morale building.
Facts are fragile things. Treat them with care. Sources are important. Alternative facts do not exist.

jakubz
Topic Author

Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:13 pm

BobPatterson wrote:
It of course remains to be seen whether this is a one-on slogan or whether it will also appear on all new 777-300ERs this year. While is might be viewed as the name of an aircraft, the real intent is to congratulate UA employees for the results from their hard work and also to exhort them to further improvements in service.

To the best of my knowledge, this will be a one off.
Yes, I use ICAO codes
Finally got on a 747!

richcam427

Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:45 pm

The problem is that United is just a bland, uninspired company that has no idea which direction it wants to go at the moment. Putting this decal on a brand new B77W is like putting a band-aid over a bullet hole. It doesn't really symbolize anything special nor does it change any of the problems within the company.

BobPatterson

Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:54 pm

richcam427 wrote:
The problem is that United is just a bland, uninspired company that has no idea which direction it wants to go at the moment. Putting this decal on a brand new B77W is like putting a band-aid over a bullet hole. It doesn't really symbolize anything special nor does it change any of the problems within the company.

You should have listened in on their conference call the other day. If you are in the least bit open-minded you might have changed your opinion.
Facts are fragile things. Treat them with care. Sources are important. Alternative facts do not exist.

richcam427

Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:50 pm

BobPatterson wrote:
richcam427 wrote:
loopThe problem is that United is just a bland, uninspired company that has no idea which direction it wants to go at the moment. Putting this decal on a brand new B77W is like putting a band-aid over a bullet hole. It doesn't really symbolize anything special nor does it change any of the problems within the company.

You should have listened in on their conference call the other day. If you are in the least bit open-minded you might have changed your opinion.

I'll believe it when I see it. I keep hearing about how UA is turning things around and everything is going great, but the enthusiasm of many UA employees I work with shows otherwise. Most of them exhibit sort of a cautious optimism about the future; certainly not a pessimistic mess, but also not totally convincing. The whole company comes across as an uncompetitive sham of what it once was. Perhaps maybe I work with the unhappiest UA employees and as a result my perception is a bit skewed, but that's just my experience.

tpaewr

Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:38 pm

DaufuskieGuy wrote:
tpaewr wrote:

yep I think the return of the tulip is in order, going with the globe was a split identity mistake.

I respectfully disagree. Swapping one old logo for another even older logo will do nothing to fix the tempid zeitgeist that define the company today.

The change needed comes from the inside not a can of paint.

tpaewr

Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:02 am

So I take it you're into Tulips and alternate history?

Gordan was long gone by the merger. His successor the often forgoten Larry Keller. Who himself rejected the idea of the merger. Likely foreseeing what was to come.

Sadly in our world big investors out rank CEO and Larry would be replaced by some one will to execute the hedge funds dreams. No matter how big a night mare it become for everyone else.

DaufuskieGuy

Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:52 am

tpaewr wrote:
DaufuskieGuy wrote:
tpaewr wrote:

I respectfully disagree. Swapping one old logo for another even older logo will do nothing to fix the tempid zeitgeist that define the company today.

The change needed comes from the inside not a can of paint.

was not trying to suggest the logo change would be a cure all. it was however a strong well known brand every bit on par with the widget and AA's logo. the globe was not.

hOMSaR

Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:43 pm

Funny. I thought this thread was about some words on the nose of a 77W. Instead, we're discussing who hired who in the 1990s.
The plural of Airbus is Airbuses. Airbii is not a word.
There is no 787-800, nor 787-900 or 747-800. It's 787-8, 787-9, and 747-8.
A321neoLR is also unnecessary. It's simply A321LR.
Airplanes don't have isles, they have aisles.

atcsundevil

Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:59 pm

To echo hOMSaR's comments, this is a thread on the naming of an aircraft. Please keep the thread on topic.

✈️ atcsundevil

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos