Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

LAXintl
Topic Author

Air Berlin Plans Hong Kong Flights

Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:55 pm

Air Berlin will launch a new Berlin-Hong Kong service, company sources said.

The new flights are expected to start in October, and are in contrast to the airline’s previous strategy to channel all Asia traffic through the Abu Dhabi hub of its partner and largest shareholder Etihad Airways.

Air Berlin Plans Hong Kong Flights
http://aviationweek.com/awindefense/air ... ng-flights

=

I wonder if these flights will do any better than the previous DUS-PEK/PVG flights ? Those were cut merely a year after launching and lost the company EUR 32 million in short period per then CEO Hunold comments.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

mercure1

Re: Air Berlin Plans Hong Kong Flights

Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:13 pm

I suppose papa Etihad must have blessed it.
mercure f-wtcc

usflyer123

Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:18 pm

Im sure there is a market for TXL-HKG but I really cant see AB doing successful on the route...
for most people the sky is the limit. for those who love aviation, the sky is home...

jfk777

Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:19 pm

Air Berlin flies their A330-200 all over the USA, adding some Asia would probably help. The next question is how competitive is Air Berlin to Cathay and Lufthansa plus the ME3 ? AB may want to have a new J class before it goes to China.

winginit

Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:23 pm

I can almost hear the money going down the drain...

mercure1

Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:23 pm

jfk777 wrote:
Air Berlin flies their A330-200 all over the USA, adding some Asia would probably help.

Remember Air Berlin did used to have service to Asia including China prior. All eastbound flights were cut in favor of feeding EY AUH hub instead.

This seems to be move to return to some nonstop links by AB.
mercure f-wtcc

uberflieger

Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:50 pm

Airberlin has been doing well enough in North American Oneworld markets to keep expanding. Sounds like they may try to replicate it flying East. This is an excellent OW addition and I wish them all the best. :airplane:

ua900

Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:53 pm

Just setting up for EW type long haul flights under the umbrella of LH where EY ultimately swaps their 29% AB share for a smaller share in LH and lets LH take over the Airbus fleet while TuiFly goes away from AB / LH.

Berlin will finally get it's long awaited 'hub' in spite of BER being delayed again, this time at least until 2018.

Guess LH didn't want to wait that long with building out EW long haul and AB's 330s will fit that objective nicely.

No idea where sustainable demand would come from, especially up front, HKG is all about business and TXL is all about party town / government jobs. Perhaps the EW Premium eco seats can replace the AB J cabin to make it work, though that's a long flight for economy.
2020: AMS | BRU | DEN | DFW | EWR | FRA | GUA | IAH | LAX | LIM | MCO | MUC | ORD | PTY | SAL | SCL | SFO | TXL

Obzerva

Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:20 pm

If AB is still AB by then, and in oneworld, this isn't a bad move, especially if it's a codeshare with Cathay, there's quite a large potential customer base within HKG and a few hours flight from HKG to tap in to, especially if the flights are well timed for Asian connections.

If they're striving to be a network carrier as they say, then it's a nice addition to the network.

r2rho

Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:35 am

I see more potential for DUS-HKG, but then again that is covered by CX and there is no room for two airlines. I don't really see the potential for TXL-HKG, as there has to be enough premium traffic to make non-stop viable, but OW connections could make it work.
I suppose papa Etihad must have blessed it.
And new mama LH too ;)

raylee67

Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:07 pm

With AB's aircraft configuration, AB will be chasing the price-conscious leisure travelers for this service. They are not necessarily going to Berlin. But they will be connecting to all the leisure destinations which AB is strong at. You would be surprised how many people in Hong Kong go to ski. There is definitely a market, but it's a tough one. Austrian is now offering connection via VIE at US$400 round trip (incl tax and all fees) during holiday season when HKG-ICN round trip is selling at US$600 and HKG-NRT coming in at US$900, and that's OU's pricing is what AB will be competing against.
319/20/21 332/33 342/43/45 359/51 388 707 717 732/36/3G/38/39 74R/42/43/44/4E/48 757 762/63 772/7L/73/7W 788/89 D10 M80 135/40/45 175/90 DH1/4 CRJ/R7 L10
AY LH OU SR BA FI LX
AA DL UA NW AC CP WS FL NK PD
CI NH SQ KA CX JL BR OZ TG KE CA CZ NZ JQ RS

lesfalls

Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:54 pm

Sorry if I'm going off topic but can TXL really handle more connecting passengers? I heard that the transit experience at TXL isn't so great and that the airport already is quite overcrowded.
Lufthansa: Einfach ein bisschen besser.

steman

Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:08 pm

lesfalls wrote:
Sorry if I'm going off topic but can TXL really handle more connecting passengers? I heard that the transit experience at TXL isn't so great and that the airport already is quite overcrowded.

This is also my concern.
I am sure Berlin would attract more carriers, especially extra European ones, if TXL had enough space. But as it is, I don´t think there´s enough gate/pariking space for widebodied planes.
Same applies to the passengers facilities. In Summer it´s packed to the ceiling!
Nevertheless I´m quite happy to read about this TXL-HKG flight on AB.

LGAviation

Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:13 pm

I feel like it would've been a more sensible move to try and partner up with JL on a TYO route as first OW driven Asia route since Japan has the larger detour via AUH than HKG. Then again we don't have any idea what AB will look like by the time this route comes online and whether they will be member of Oneworld, no alliance, Eurowings or even Star. It's a huge mystery box to be opened up in the upcoming months but it looks to me as if they were at least in the longhaul trying to move into a direction similar to what is VS.
As for TXL, that airport is a disaster (as the rating machine would put it) both as a transfer and O&D passenger. Maybe DUS would be the better idea but then there's CX. AB really could use an LGW route.
2018: ADD CPH DAR DEN DME DUB FRA HAH HAM IST JIB KEF LYR MEL OSL PEK PKC PVG RAK STN SVO SYD YVR

lesfalls

Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:13 pm

steman wrote:
lesfalls wrote:

This is also my concern.
I am sure Berlin would attract more carriers, especially extra European ones, if TXL had enough space. But as it is, I don´t think there´s enough gate/pariking space for widebodied planes.
Same applies to the passengers facilities. In Summer it´s packed to the ceiling!
Nevertheless I´m quite happy to read about this TXL-HKG flight on AB.

I'm guessing thats why more airlines are going to SXF(Which I don't exactly understand why as it is also quite packed their now)? This is great news indeed though.I also wonder if they could attract passengers fro, the states to fly XXX-TXL-HKG as DY has quite a lot of connecting passangers from the states flying with them to BKK.
Lufthansa: Einfach ein bisschen besser.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos