Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
Thrust
Topic Author
Posts: 2587
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2003 12:17 pm

Delta 747 retirement

Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:54 pm

With UA now set to retire its 747s very soon as their brand new 777-300ERs come into service, this leaves Delta as the last U.S. carrier operating 747s. From what I can tell they had A350s on order but no -1000 models and no 777-300ERs on order. What does Delta plan to replace their 747s with? They are flying some of the oldest 747-400s in the world and ever made. I'm assuming Delta is looking to take them out of service over the next few years?
Fly one thing; Fly it well
 
jbs2886
Posts: 2497
Joined: Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:07 pm

Re: Delta 747 retirement

Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:59 pm

They are going out of service this year. This has been discussed at length here.
 
johns624
Posts: 2888
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:09 pm

Re: Delta 747 retirement

Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:01 pm

They are retiring them, not because they don't want them, but to screw over DTW and reduce capacity there so that they can keep fares high. (Did I do a good job imitating someone else?) :)
 
alfa164
Posts: 3717
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:47 am

Re: Delta 747 retirement

Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:28 pm

johns624 wrote:
They are retiring them, not because they don't want them, but to screw over DTW and reduce capacity there so that they can keep fares high. (Did I do a good job imitating someone else?) :)

You know he/she/it will echo your very words! :roll:
I'm going to have a smokin' hot body again!
I have decided to be cremated....
 
User avatar
11725Flyer
Posts: 1399
Joined: Mon May 30, 2016 4:51 pm

Re: Delta 747 retirement

Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:32 pm

johns624 wrote:
They are retiring them, not because they don't want them, but to screw over DTW and reduce capacity there so that they can keep fares high. (Did I do a good job imitating someone else?) :)


You did, you did! :D
 
User avatar
intotheair
Posts: 1900
Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:49 pm

Re: Delta 747 retirement

Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:43 pm

DL announced their 747 retirement before UA did. UA will probably still be the last.
300 319 320 321 332 333 345 346 380 717 733 734 735 73G 738 739 744 752 753 762 763 772 77W 788 789 CR2 CR7 CR9 CRK Q400 E175 DC10 MD82 MD90
AA AF AS AY AZ B6 BA BR DL F9 FI GA HA KF LH MI QX SK SN SQ UA US VY WN
 
User avatar
N717TW
Posts: 573
Joined: Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:24 pm

Re: Delta 747 retirement

Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:18 pm

The 744s have been slowing leaving the fleet for the past few years and the arrival of the A350 will replace the rest of the fleet although not 1 to 1 on a capacity basis because DL has been replacing them with less service/less seats...to be honest...although I'm not trying to create fights online.

DL has removed several Japan flights that were operated post-merger by the 744, including LAX, MSP, JFK and ATL to NRT and DTW-NGO-MNL (although LAX has moved around aircraft a lot and MSP downgraded to the 772 several years ago). JFK was dropped while LAX and MSP now run to HND negating the need for as many seats, the 777 has taken over most of the other flights while DTW-NGO moved to a 332 (which really pushes the limit on that aircraft).

All in all, DL has all but explicitly stated that the 744 was too much capacity and as a consequence was requiring DL to sell a lot of cheaper consolidator tickets through NRT to KIX/PUS/ICN/PVG/TPE/HKG/BKK, etc. to fill the plane.

My snarky answer is that DL is going to use KE to replace the 744!
 
User avatar
klm617
Posts: 5260
Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:57 pm

Re: Delta 747 retirement

Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:43 am

alfa164 wrote:
johns624 wrote:
They are retiring them, not because they don't want them, but to screw over DTW and reduce capacity there so that they can keep fares high. (Did I do a good job imitating someone else?) :)

You know he/she/it will echo your very words! :roll:


Well no I don't believe that Delta is retiring the 747's just to screw Detroit but I will say this that where Detroit is getting screwed is by the reduction in capacity due to the smaller aircraft and the fact that that reduction will be transferred to other hubs So yes the Detroit market is getting screwed by the retirement of the 747 only because capacity is being reduced and we don't see that at the other hubs in the Delta system.
the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...
 
User avatar
klm617
Posts: 5260
Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:57 pm

Re: Delta 747 retirement

Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:44 am

N717TW wrote:
The 744s have been slowing leaving the fleet for the past few years and the arrival of the A350 will replace the rest of the fleet although not 1 to 1 on a capacity basis because DL has been replacing them with less service/less seats...to be honest...although I'm not trying to create fights online.

DL has removed several Japan flights that were operated post-merger by the 744, including LAX, MSP, JFK and ATL to NRT and DTW-NGO-MNL (although LAX has moved around aircraft a lot and MSP downgraded to the 772 several years ago). JFK was dropped while LAX and MSP now run to HND negating the need for as many seats, the 777 has taken over most of the other flights while DTW-NGO moved to a 332 (which really pushes the limit on that aircraft).

All in all, DL has all but explicitly stated that the 744 was too much capacity and as a consequence was requiring DL to sell a lot of cheaper consolidator tickets through NRT to KIX/PUS/ICN/PVG/TPE/HKG/BKK, etc. to fill the plane.

My snarky answer is that DL is going to use KE to replace the 744!



Let's hope so a good start would be 3X weekly DTW-ICN flight to make up for the lost capacity on the DTW-ICN route.
the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...
 
EddieDude
Posts: 7048
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2003 10:19 am

Re: Delta 747 retirement

Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:46 am

I think DL will be better suited once it is able to allocate the best aircraft to each Asian route from among the A359, 77E/77L, A332 and A339NEO. Hopefully an agreement with KE is also in the works, as that would make DL competitive with UA and AA.
Upcoming flights:
April/May: AM MEX-SCL 788 (J), AM EZE-MEX 789 (J).
 
alfa164
Posts: 3717
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:47 am

Re: Delta 747 retirement

Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:52 am

EddieDude wrote:
I think DL will be better suited once it is able to allocate the best aircraft to each Asian route from among the A359, 77E/77L, A332 and A339NEO. Hopefully an agreement with KE is also in the works, as that would make DL competitive with UA and AA.

The word here in Asia (where I am at some properties now) from KE uppity-ups is that there should be something announced within the next 7 days. As always, a grain of salt is in order... but with both airlines in unenviable positions now, it might just be the right time.
I'm going to have a smokin' hot body again!
I have decided to be cremated....
 
EddieDude
Posts: 7048
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2003 10:19 am

Re: Delta 747 retirement

Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:58 am

Thank you alfa164. I will be on the lookout.
Upcoming flights:
April/May: AM MEX-SCL 788 (J), AM EZE-MEX 789 (J).
 
ZeeZoo
Posts: 285
Joined: Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:30 am

Re: Delta 747 retirement

Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:03 am

Delta doing a retro livery on the 747 at all?
 
johns624
Posts: 2888
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:09 pm

Re: Delta 747 retirement

Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:05 am

klm617 wrote:
alfa164 wrote:
johns624 wrote:
They are retiring them, not because they don't want them, but to screw over DTW and reduce capacity there so that they can keep fares high. (Did I do a good job imitating someone else?) :)

You know he/she/it will echo your very words! :roll:


Well no I don't believe that Delta is retiring the 747's just to screw Detroit but I will say this that where Detroit is getting screwed is by the reduction in capacity due to the smaller aircraft and the fact that that reduction will be transferred to other hubs So yes the Detroit market is getting screwed by the retirement of the 747 only because capacity is being reduced and we don't see that at the other hubs in the Delta system.
Well if what N717TW said is true and DL had to sell dirtcheap tickets to fill the 744's, is a slightly smaller plane that is full of good paying passengers really a cut in capacity? What about every other airline that is retiring (or has retired) 744's and replaced them with T7's and A350's? I never hear you say anything about them... Remember, a company's #1 priority is to make money for its shareholders, airlines just happen to fly people around to do it.
 
User avatar
richcam427
Posts: 140
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:55 pm

Re: Delta 747 retirement

Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:56 am

ZeeZoo wrote:
Delta doing a retro livery on the 747 at all?


Unless it's a NW retro, I don't see it happening. Considering DL flew 747s only for a short while in the early 70s, it doesn't have much of a history with DL.
 
Prost
Posts: 2587
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:23 pm

Re: Delta 747 retirement

Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:14 am

What difference does it make to Detroit folks if connecting people connect on a 747 vs. A350? Especially when the local O&D will be accommodated with the capacity on either?
 
n7371f
Posts: 1852
Joined: Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:54 pm

Re: Delta 747 retirement

Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:08 am

ZeeZoo wrote:
Delta doing a retro livery on the 747 at all?


The only chance for that was with 6301 when it was retired, repainted and donated to the Delta Museum. Plenty of NW people asked about it. Fact is, DL will never allow a retro. While a terrific company, there's a self-sense of superiority to any of the carriers or carrier assets it's merged or bought - this especially true with NWA who so many DL Exec's still view as a "shitty" airline. Their quote, not mine.

Additionally DL is incredibly anal about its marketing, image, et all. It doesn't want the public to see any deviation from the brand.

There is irony that 2 of the 3 planes parked outside the museum never flew for DL until the merger. And wouldn't it be sad, yet not a surprise, if the final 744 flight to Marana merely takes off from ATL and does a fly by of Hartsfield and ignores its true homes of DTW and MSP. Atlanta is Delta's world and everywhere else is just a spoke.
 
User avatar
klm617
Posts: 5260
Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:57 pm

Re: Delta 747 retirement

Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:23 pm

Prost wrote:
What difference does it make to Detroit folks if connecting people connect on a 747 vs. A350? Especially when the local O&D will be accommodated with the capacity on either?



Because every passenger that doesn't connect in Detroit is lost revenue for the airport in many ways and the airports that these passengers will or are now routed through due to the capacity reduction will get more revenue.
the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...
 
jetlanta
Posts: 1664
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2001 2:35 am

Re: Delta 747 retirement

Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:17 pm

klm617 wrote:
alfa164 wrote:
johns624 wrote:
They are retiring them, not because they don't want them, but to screw over DTW and reduce capacity there so that they can keep fares high. (Did I do a good job imitating someone else?) :)

You know he/she/it will echo your very words! :roll:


Well no I don't believe that Delta is retiring the 747's just to screw Detroit but I will say this that where Detroit is getting screwed is by the reduction in capacity due to the smaller aircraft and the fact that that reduction will be transferred to other hubs So yes the Detroit market is getting screwed by the retirement of the 747 only because capacity is being reduced and we don't see that at the other hubs in the Delta system.


Except the big picture is that the A350 (and A330neo) economics make adding new routes from DTW much more feasible over the long-term. DTW is likely to see net long-haul capacity growth over the next decade. They'll lose a few seats on downgrades from 744s but more frequencies and more routes will eventually overcome that.
 
Noshow
Posts: 1811
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:20 pm

Re: Delta 747 retirement

Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:19 pm

Delta should order the A380. Seriously. If you have a base like Atlanta that's the right tool for you.
 
johns624
Posts: 2888
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:09 pm

Re: Delta 747 retirement

Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:24 pm

I kind of like DTW the way it is. You can get most places nonstop but with the airport below capacity, it's never crowded. You can always get a seat in a restaurant or Sky Club and Customs is relatively fast and easy.
 
jetlanta
Posts: 1664
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2001 2:35 am

Re: Delta 747 retirement

Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:42 pm

n7371f wrote:
ZeeZoo wrote:
Delta doing a retro livery on the 747 at all?


The only chance for that was with 6301 when it was retired, repainted and donated to the Delta Museum. Plenty of NW people asked about it. Fact is, DL will never allow a retro. While a terrific company, there's a self-sense of superiority to any of the carriers or carrier assets it's merged or bought - this especially true with NWA who so many DL Exec's still view as a "shitty" airline. Their quote, not mine.

Additionally DL is incredibly anal about its marketing, image, et all. It doesn't want the public to see any deviation from the brand.

There is irony that 2 of the 3 planes parked outside the museum never flew for DL until the merger. And wouldn't it be sad, yet not a surprise, if the final 744 flight to Marana merely takes off from ATL and does a fly by of Hartsfield and ignores its true homes of DTW and MSP. Atlanta is Delta's world and everywhere else is just a spoke.


Interestingly, Delta is widely recognized as having the most harmonious merger integrations in the history of the industry. Whether it was Northeast, Western or Northwest; Delta has never paid "homage" to the past at the expense of its future. Other airlines have done more to honor their pasts with heritage liveries and such, but ironically, those airlines also have tended to have very difficult integrations. In some cases it has taken years to even get the workforces technically integrated. And often those airlines have been recognized as having customer service issues related to employee dissatisfaction.

My point is, it may make some people sad that there isn't a NW livery flying around with a Delta logo awkwardly applied to the fuselage, but one can very easily argue that moving forward with a clear and unified brand is the better strategy. Perhaps people hold on to their past a little less and feel a part of the new team a little quicker. And you can certainly argue that it makes things more clear in the eyes of the customer.

Regardless, I don't think it is animus on the part of Delta management. They firmly believe that the best strategy is to go all-in on the Delta brand, which is the one they actually operate under. It is really hard to argue that isn't a good idea, especially considering how much the brand image has improved in recent years.
 
User avatar
BN727227Ultra
Posts: 696
Joined: Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:15 pm

Re: Delta 747 retirement

Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:23 pm

Northwest never did North Central, Southern or Hughes Airwest retro schemes, either. (I'm happy they never did a Republic one, though. Uglee Mary Tyler Moore font. :-( )
 
User avatar
BN727227Ultra
Posts: 696
Joined: Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:15 pm

Re: Delta 747 retirement

Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:28 pm

Noshow wrote:
Delta should order the A380. Seriously. If you have a base like Atlanta that's the right tool for you.


Where would they fly it to? Would they run a 1x each schedule to NRT and LGW from ATL? That woould be good for four frames, tops.

It's all about frequency, not the number of pax per airframe. Atlanta will just keep knocking down suburbs to create more 9/27s until I-285 is a beltway around Macon, so who needs a 380 when you can launch ten 737/321s every five minutes?
 
DTWPurserBoy
Posts: 2374
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:33 pm

Re: Delta 747 retirement

Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:39 pm

DL has repeatedly said it has NO interest in the A380. Waaaay too much airplane. I would see them eventually ordering the A350-1000. It is the right size for long Asia flights with the right number of seats.
Qualified on Concorde/B707/B720/B727/B737/B747/B757/B767/B777/DC-8/DC-9/DC-10/A319/A320/A330/MD-88-90
 
deltal1011man
Posts: 5366
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2005 9:17 am

Re: Delta 747 retirement

Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:46 pm

jetlanta wrote:
Interestingly, Delta is widely recognized as having the most harmonious merger integrations in the history of the industry. Whether it was Northeast, Western or Northwest; Delta has never paid "homage" to the past at the expense of its future. Other airlines have done more to honor their pasts with heritage liveries and such, but ironically, those airlines also have tended to have very difficult integrations. In some cases it has taken years to even get the workforces technically integrated. And often those airlines have been recognized as having customer service issues related to employee dissatisfaction.

My point is, it may make some people sad that there isn't a NW livery flying around with a Delta logo awkwardly applied to the fuselage, but one can very easily argue that moving forward with a clear and unified brand is the better strategy. Perhaps people hold on to their past a little less and feel a part of the new team a little quicker. And you can certainly argue that it makes things more clear in the eyes of the customer.

Regardless, I don't think it is animus on the part of Delta management. They firmly believe that the best strategy is to go all-in on the Delta brand, which is the one they actually operate under. It is really hard to argue that isn't a good idea, especially considering how much the brand image has improved in recent years.

Settle down Delta corp. com. none of this is why DL has had "easy" integrations compared to its peers and I honestly think its a joke that anyone would actually believe it.

DL hasn't had the integration issues because it is always the airline that does the buying and always buys smaller fish. Because DL is the big fish and DL's labor is always the majority and the union vote alway goes DL's way. Then DL can integrate easily because they just tell employees what is going to happen and they don't actually have to sit down and come to an agreement.
Just make 51% happy so they don't vote in a union and DL does this by tossing money at them. DL employees have proven that if you keep them close to the highest paid and some what decent everything else they won't vote in a union. (even if they have the worst insurance, keep cutting profit sharing and are outsourcing more and more every year/ filling the in-house spots with contractors....at least in maintenance)

and before you say it, yes the pilots are in a union but DALPA is by far the easiest union in the industry to get along with. Hell till the last TA the group has never voted no on a TA, ever.

As for holding on to the past and all that, its pretty simple. You either get in line with the "delta way" or they will get you to leave (or in some cases just promote you till you love the company). The attitude at DL has always been shut up and be happy or leave. Just look at any thread here dealing with labor, its always the same, has always been the same and unless someone bigger buys DL, will always be the same. Its the Delta way.


All of this is one of the biggest reasons DL didn't try to go after United, even though that made a lot more sense from a network standpoint. The FA and ramp for sure would have voted in a union in a half a second.
n7371f wrote:

The only chance for that was with 6301 when it was retired, repainted and donated to the Delta Museum. Plenty of NW people asked about it. Fact is, DL will never allow a retro. While a terrific company, there's a self-sense of superiority to any of the carriers or carrier assets it's merged or bought - this especially true with NWA who so many DL Exec's still view as a "shitty" airline. Their quote, not mine.

:roll: :roll: :roll: Oh good lord. Most of the people who run DL now are exNW people. Matter of fact, in maintenance at least, the company is becoming more and more like NWA every day except for paying people enough to keep them happy. (oh and making sure the engine shop is taken care of.)


n7371f wrote:
There is irony that 2 of the 3 planes parked outside the museum never flew for DL until the merger. And wouldn't it be sad, yet not a surprise, if the final 744 flight to Marana merely takes off from ATL and does a fly by of Hartsfield and ignores its true homes of DTW and MSP. Atlanta is Delta's world and everywhere else is just a spoke.

No it wouldn't be sad at all. It would actually be completely logical for them to harvest all the parts in ATL they want from it and fly it to the graveyard from there. Not really sure about the fly by part of it.
What actually wouldn't be a surprise is if they fly it to HKG or SIN and let some vendor do the above and then fly it to MZJ and let contractors finish the job.
 
PI4EVER
Posts: 817
Joined: Wed May 06, 2009 10:29 pm

Re: Delta 747 retirement

Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:01 pm

As somewhat typical, this thread has gone a bit away from the subject matter at hand.....the retirement of the 747-400 from the fleet.
I've not noted any specifics as to schedules of retirement, last frame flying, city pair for a flyaway etc,
My specific question. A 747 is scheduled now for May to fly a roundtrip schedule DTW-NRT. Is it likely this schedule will hold for mid-May 2017?
I have clients who specifically want to ride the 747 one last time on a trip to Japan, Guam and Hawaii so can any DL insiders give me a feel that
this roundtrip will be operating in May? They can route via DTW in either direction to snag the 747 to or from NRT.
Thanks folks for any help with that.
watch what you want. you may get it.
 
deltal1011man
Posts: 5366
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2005 9:17 am

Re: Delta 747 retirement

Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:22 pm

PI4EVER wrote:
As somewhat typical, this thread has gone a bit away from the subject matter at hand.....the retirement of the 747-400 from the fleet.
I've not noted any specifics as to schedules of retirement, last frame flying, city pair for a flyaway etc,
My specific question. A 747 is scheduled now for May to fly a roundtrip schedule DTW-NRT. Is it likely this schedule will hold for mid-May 2017?
I have clients who specifically want to ride the 747 one last time on a trip to Japan, Guam and Hawaii so can any DL insiders give me a feel that
this roundtrip will be operating in May? They can route via DTW in either direction to snag the 747 to or from NRT.
Thanks folks for any help with that.

Probably safe. If it shifts to anything it will be the 777.

I don't know the delivery schedule for the 350 of the top of my head but I don't think any were suppose to be doing 744 replacement flying at that time. For the most part I believe that early summer 744 flying is safe. They don't even have the first pilot base set yet. (i.e. no one has started training on the plane yet)
 
User avatar
Adipasquale
Posts: 831
Joined: Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:39 pm

Re: Delta 747 retirement

Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:55 pm

To bring this topic back up, I was wondering if anyone has any more specifics on when we will see each of the last seven frames retired from service. Will 3-4 be retired one by one, then the final few all taken out of service at the same time, or will they be consistently drawn down until there are none left?
I see they're still scheduled DTW-ICN/NRT and on various routes out of NRT consistently through the early summer. Not to hyperbolize, but to catch one of these aging, yet still magnificent ladies for a DTW-ICN/NRT-DTW roundtrip one time before they're retired would be an experience I would remember forever.

Edited for grammar
DH8A DH8B CR1 CR2 CR7 CR9 E45 E70 E75 E90 D93 M88 318 319 320 321 333 343 712 732 733 734 73G 738 739 744 752 753 762 763 772 77L 77W
 
psychostang
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun Jun 28, 2015 7:55 pm

Re: Delta 747 retirement

Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:00 pm

One 747 in Sep, the other six in Dec.
 
User avatar
United_fan
Posts: 6691
Joined: Fri Nov 24, 2000 11:11 am

Re: Delta 747 retirement

Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:45 pm

I think the reason DL didn't repaint 6301 in NW red colors is because the red will fade. NW Silver not so much.
"Suspicion is a matter of opinion"
 
tjerome
Posts: 349
Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2016 3:03 am

Re: Delta 747 retirement

Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:50 pm

n7371f wrote:
The only chance for that was with 6301 when it was retired, repainted and donated to the Delta Museum. Plenty of NW people asked about it. Fact is, DL will never allow a retro. While a terrific company, there's a self-sense of superiority to any of the carriers or carrier assets it's merged or bought - this especially true with NWA who so many DL Exec's still view as a "shitty" airline. Their quote, not mine.

Additionally DL is incredibly anal about its marketing, image, et all. It doesn't want the public to see any deviation from the brand.

There is irony that 2 of the 3 planes parked outside the museum never flew for DL until the merger. And wouldn't it be sad, yet not a surprise, if the final 744 flight to Marana merely takes off from ATL and does a fly by of Hartsfield and ignores its true homes of DTW and MSP. Atlanta is Delta's world and everywhere else is just a spoke.


Please explain this then:


Will DL ever put a retro painted aircraft in active revenue service? No. Will they put one on display somewhere? Yeah sure. They put 608 there in the museum, wouldn't be surprised to see a MD-88 in wavy gravy colors there sometime. It wouldn't be DL's taste to put 6301 in the NWA bowling shoe livery or anything retro because the museum is more about DL and a DL retro livery would not have made sense because the 744s were only painted in the current DL livery.
 
n7371f
Posts: 1852
Joined: Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:54 pm

Re: Delta 747 retirement

Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:58 pm

Referring to Northwest. Stand down.

[list=]
[/list]
tjerome wrote:
n7371f wrote:
The only chance for that was with 6301 when it was retired, repainted and donated to the Delta Museum. Plenty of NW people asked about it. Fact is, DL will never allow a retro. While a terrific company, there's a self-sense of superiority to any of the carriers or carrier assets it's merged or bought - this especially true with NWA who so many DL Exec's still view as a "shitty" airline. Their quote, not mine.

Additionally DL is incredibly anal about its marketing, image, et all. It doesn't want the public to see any deviation from the brand.

There is irony that 2 of the 3 planes parked outside the museum never flew for DL until the merger. And wouldn't it be sad, yet not a surprise, if the final 744 flight to Marana merely takes off from ATL and does a fly by of Hartsfield and ignores its true homes of DTW and MSP. Atlanta is Delta's world and everywhere else is just a spoke.


Please explain this then:


Will DL ever put a retro painted aircraft in active revenue service? No. Will they put one on display somewhere? Yeah sure. They put 608 there in the museum, wouldn't be surprised to see a MD-88 in wavy gravy colors there sometime. It wouldn't be DL's taste to put 6301 in the NWA bowling shoe livery or anything retro because the museum is more about DL and a DL retro livery would not have made sense because the 744s were only painted in the current DL livery.
 
User avatar
NWAROOSTER
Posts: 1354
Joined: Mon Feb 14, 2005 2:29 pm

Re: Delta 747 retirement

Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:41 am

It seems to be overlooked on most 747 retirements blogs. There is a must do number two fuel tank inerting AD that must be completed on all US registered 747s and non US registered 747s that fly into the United States by the end of 2017. The airlines have been fighting it as it is expensive and now the 747s are starting to get old. it was extended to the end of this year and all 747s that do not have the AD completed must be withdrawn from revenue service. This all goes back to the TWA 747 that crashed off Long Island shortly after take of about twenty plus years ago. It should built into the new build 747-8i and 7478F aircraft along with the two 747-200s that are used as Air Force One.
If anyone can correct me, please do.........
Procrastination Is The Theft Of Time.......
 
UA444
Posts: 2999
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:03 am

Re: Delta 747 retirement

Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:50 am

NWAROOSTER wrote:
It seems to be overlooked on most 747 retirements blogs. There is a must do number two fuel tank inerting AD that must be completed on all US registered 747s and non US registered 747s that fly into the United States by the end of 2017. The airlines have been fighting it as it is expensive and now the 747s are starting to get old. it was extended to the end of this year and all 747s that do not have the AD completed must be withdrawn from revenue service. This all goes back to the TWA 747 that crashed off Long Island shortly after take of about twenty plus years ago. It should built into the new build 747-8i and 7478F aircraft along with the two 747-200s that are used as Air Force One.
If anyone can correct me, please do.........

AF1 may be modified (I don't know) but it would be exempt either way.
 
B4REAL
Posts: 2615
Joined: Sun Aug 10, 2003 5:53 am

Re: Delta 747 retirement

Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:57 pm

I flew DTW-ICN yesterday on what will likely be the last time I fly a US Airline 747. Really bittersweet moment. On the one hand, I love the 747 - but honestly, I like it more to spot and see. Inside, from the passenger perspective it's not that different unless you are in the Upper Deck (which I have done before and that is awesome) or the extreme front - like row 3 or less which is amazingly quiet (no walk-through traffic).

But it is time for the 744's to go. Our initial bird N666US was scheduled for our flight, but the cargo door had a problem - we had to move to N669US. Lucky DL had one available. We were 3,5 hours late, but made it. My travel plans weren't impacted, others were (lots of KE connections missed). But that incident caused downstream delays of over 1 hour to today's DTW-ICN and DTW-PVG flights.

The 744's are a great bird, but they are really at the end of their service; even by DL's standards who does a good job keeping aircraft in good shape (modern cabins). Long live the 744! I can't see DL or any other North American carrier buy the 748; so this will be it for me. Good to know that I can still book the 748 on a few airlines, however!
B4REAL, spelled like it sounds & @RickVanover on Twitter

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos