KruegerFlaps

Re: Australian Aviation Thread Part 149

Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:59 am

qf789 wrote:
Breaking news, a light aircraft has crashed into the Swan River in Perth around 5pm local time, both pilot and 1 passenger have been killed

Dreadful thing to happen on a day that was meant to be a celebration and terrible news for the families of the pilot and passenger. The aircraft was VH-CQA, a Grumman G-73 Mallard seaplane, one of many aircraft that was taking part in a show that was meant to include aerial fire fighting demonstrations; displays by a RAAF jets, helicopters, and aerobatics aircraft. A Dornier 328 rescue aircraft and The Royal Flying Doctor PC-12s were to take part, along with a flypast by a Fokker 100.

Naturally the remainder of the aerial show and the Australia Day Skyworks pyrotechnic display could not go ahead due to the need to secure the area as the investigation into the cause of the crash gets underway.
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt Speech, 1783

qf789
Topic Author

Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:05 pm

KruegerFlaps wrote:
qf789 wrote:
Breaking news, a light aircraft has crashed into the Swan River in Perth around 5pm local time, both pilot and 1 passenger have been killed

Dreadful thing to happen on a day that was meant to be a celebration and terrible news for the families of the pilot and passenger. The aircraft was VH-CQA, a Grumman G-73 Mallard seaplane, one of many aircraft that was taking part in a show that was meant to include aerial fire fighting demonstrations; displays by a RAAF jets, helicopters, and aerobatics aircraft. A Dornier 328 rescue aircraft and The Royal Flying Doctor PC-12s were to take part, along with a flypast by a Fokker 100.

Naturally the remainder of the aerial show and the Australia Day Skyworks pyrotechnic display could not go ahead due to the need to secure the area as the investigation into the cause of the crash gets underway.

Have just watched sky news. It is being reported that the aircraft stalled, then banked to the left and the nosed dived into the river. At the time the crash occurred there were approximately 300,000 people around the foreshore
Forum Moderator

qf789
Topic Author

Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:23 pm

QF is considering replacing the 6 744ER's with 77X's or A350's. QF's new direction on this rather than replacing them with 787's is that the 77X/A350 would be more suitable for slot restricted airports such as LHR,HKG,HND,PEK. QF has been pressing both manufacturers for the aircraft to be able to fly the 17000km SYD-LHR journey non-stop against directional winds and a payload of at least 300 passengers. This in itself would favour the 778.

http://www.afr.com/business/transport/a ... 126-gtz0gv
Forum Moderator

qf789
Topic Author

Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:37 pm

A detailed article on whether will it pay off for QF to operate both PER-LHR and SYD-LHR non-stop

http://www.afr.com/brand/afr-magazine/q ... 127-gsyuez
Forum Moderator

SonOfABeech

Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:45 pm

Four widebody types in the future (A330, 787, 777/A350, A380) seems like one or two too many for an airline of QFs size.

mariner

antas - LOL.

Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:38 pm

bunumuring wrote:
And Mariner, As for James Hogan at Virgin Australia... There's always Qantas up for grabs when Alan Joyce moves on... but then again, there are at least two other well-respected non-Aussie ex airline leaders in this part of the world who may be ready to step back into battle. Might be quite a while before QF has an Aussie accent again rallying the troops from the very top! Just my humble opinion of course. Have no doubt however that succession planning is not as important in the local airline industry as it is in politics, lol.

If I'm alarmed at the idea of James Hogan becoming CEO at Virgin Australia, my blood freezes at the idea of him as CEO at Qantas - LOL.

I prefer the idea of promoting from within and I think one of the most interesting CEO choices for a long time was the decision by the BOD to go with AJ rather than JB - Borghetti, he of the silver tongue. Since you bring it all down to accents rather than actual nationality, both are Australian although neither was born here, but JB has the "smoother" persona - AJ can still come on like a Dublin street boy despite his excellent academic achievements.

The problem with external appointments is that you either have to steal from another airline or accept whomever may be available at the time and I'd prefer to think that AJ and the BOD are looking at possible - eventual - replacements for the top job within the airline, is training them up and, with any luck, an heir apparent will be revealed over the course of time - as happened with Luxon at Air NZ.

I'm not sure why you seem so anxious for AJ to go, but IF he did, I'm in the Anybody But Hogan camp. It isn't all that often that "star" CEO's get the chop so I assume the Etihad BOD became alarmed about him and his spendthrift ways. I get the feeling that power went to his head because while investing in one unprofitable airline may be acceptable for strategic reasons, to invest in several chronically loss-making airlines (Air Berlin? Alitalia?) seems simply perverse and I worry that he would squander Qantas' hard-earned resources.

But who knows? I can't predict the future, so I don't try. Image

mariner
aeternum nauta

DeltaB717

Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:40 pm

CXfirst wrote:
DeltaB717 wrote:
Re: TT and the B737s:

What's so 'difficult' about securing CASA approval to add the B737 to their AOC is that TT itself has no experience operating the B737 (VA's experience doesn't really count as TT has to demonstrate it can manage on its own), until recently has had little (if anything) in the way of pilots qualified on the B737, etc. It has to be considered as though VA were not the parent because TT's AOC is considered separate.

This process just seems to have been more difficult and outdrawn than a normal new type entering a fleet. Can't remember VA having this sort of trouble with the E190 for instance.

I understand, and my information may be incorrect or slightly more dated than I was led to believe, that TT has only just recently commenced tech-crew training for the B737, which would almost certainly have had the application on hold at CASA's end. VA with the E190 most likely had some crew in training either in a sim, at Embraer's factory or with a partner airline (Delta rings a bell, actually) prior to delivery. And most airlines do that for new types.

DeltaB717

Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:43 pm

SonOfABeech wrote:
Four widebody types in the future (A330, 787, 777/A350, A380) seems like one or two too many for an airline of QFs size.

I would expect the A330s to be replaced by, probably, B787-8s at some point, leaving only three widebody types. Add to that the high degree of commonality between all of Airbus's aircraft 'families', and the strong chance there will be a good degree of commonality between the B777X and B787, and you really don't have any more than 2 - 2.5 types once the A330s are gone (indeed even with the A330s if the A350 was chosen over B777X).

KruegerFlaps

Re: antas - LOL.

Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:44 pm

mariner wrote:
If I'm alarmed at the idea of James Hogan becoming CEO at Virgin Australia, my blood freezes at the idea of him as CEO at Qantas - LOL.

I wonder, is there any substance to the rumour that Hogan would be considered as a replacement for Borghetti? The "official" version being reported in media in the Gulf is that he will join an (so far unnamed) investment company, together with the group's chief financial officer James Rigney, who will also leave Etihad later this year.
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt Speech, 1783

smi0006

Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:27 am

SonOfABeech wrote:

Would the 380s remain? I could see 778/779 or A359/A351 replacing the 380s and opening longer thinner routes. This would support a slight reduction in capacity in current LAX and LHR routes as traffic moves to non-stop service. Be good also for HKG/SIN/HND and growth into PVG and PEK.

Could this be why they haven't upgraded the 380 cabins? Or when the new W seat is fi ally announced hopefully a new F and a plan to refit the 380s will also be announced.

qf789
Topic Author

Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:50 am

smi0006 wrote:
SonOfABeech wrote:

Would the 380s remain? I could see 778/779 or A359/A351 replacing the 380s and opening longer thinner routes. This would support a slight reduction in capacity in current LAX and LHR routes as traffic moves to non-stop service. Be good also for HKG/SIN/HND and growth into PVG and PEK.

Could this be why they haven't upgraded the 380 cabins? Or when the new W seat is fi ally announced hopefully a new F and a plan to refit the 380s will also be announced.

QF has operated 4 different widebodies before, when the A380 came in QF were already flying the 747,767 and A330. When the 787 is delivered they will also be flying 4 types. The ultimate vision of QF is to reduce that to 2. Assuming QF orders the 777 which I think it will, all 744's will be replaced by 789 or 778 by around 2022 (so about 5 years), by that time the A333's and early A332's (VH-EBA-EBD) will be approaching the 20 year mark and will replaced by 787's. Most of the newer A332's are leased so they could go earlier than expected as well. The A380's will probably be kept until the late 2020's, of which will likely be replaced by the 779. On refurbs for the A380's I think this will happen, probably once MEL-PER-LHR starts as it has been reported previously that MEL-DXB-LHR will be axed.
Forum Moderator

waoz1

Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:52 am

Qantas to have new lounge at Perth terminal 3 to cater for dreamliner flight

https://www.ausbt.com.au/qantas-new-per ... 87-flights

qf789
Topic Author

Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:03 am

QF/AA considering reviving joint venture that was previously rejected

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-ameri ... 5B00L?il=0
Forum Moderator

zkncj

Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:40 am

qf789 wrote:

Have noticed that the QF/AA shared adverts to the AKL market has returned, it was dropped very fast after the Alliance was rejected.

An767

Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:02 am

mariner wrote:
bunumuring wrote:
And Mariner, As for James Hogan at Virgin Australia... There's always Qantas up for grabs when Alan Joyce moves on... but then again, there are at least two other well-respected non-Aussie ex airline leaders in this part of the world who may be ready to step back into battle. Might be quite a while before QF has an Aussie accent again rallying the troops from the very top! Just my humble opinion of course. Have no doubt however that succession planning is not as important in the local airline industry as it is in politics, lol.

I'm not sure why you seem so anxious for AJ to go, but IF he did, I'm in the Anybody But Hogan camp. It isn't all that often that "star" CEO's get the chop so I assume the Etihad BOD became alarmed about him and his spendthrift ways. I get the feeling that power went to his head because while investing in one unprofitable airline may be acceptable for strategic reasons, to invest in several chronically loss-making airlines (Air Berlin? Alitalia?) seems simply perverse and I worry that he would squander Qantas' hard-earned resources.

But who knows? I can't predict the future, so I don't try. Image

mariner

He does not like AJ ever since he introduced the new livery last year, Perhaps AJ never answered his protest letter .
But honestly why would AJ want to go just yet , he has done a great job fixing QF , but still a bit more to do . Plus as Mariner has said an internal recruit would be ideal so prehaps AJ is grooming ( for the want of a better word) at the moment

AN767
If its got wings put me on it. If it floats on water take it away

zkncj

Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:14 am

waoz1 wrote:
Qantas to have new lounge at Perth terminal 3 to cater for dreamliner flight

https://www.ausbt.com.au/qantas-new-per ... 87-flights

More change that the QF T1 Lounge will close then? provideing the space for the new NZ Lounge?

qf789
Topic Author

Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:24 am

AJ had an interview with Bloomberg yesterday, refer to link below

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... turnaround

In the interview he was asked about retiring, he is not going anywhere anytime soon
Forum Moderator

log0008

Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:38 am

qf789 wrote:

Wouldn't be surprised if it is approved - Qantas just needs to say it will buy boeing aircraft and Trump will be happy :)

jupiter2

Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:13 am

log0008 wrote:
qf789 wrote:

Wouldn't be surprised if it is approved - Qantas just needs to say it will buy boeing aircraft and Trump will be happy :)

As ridiculous as it sounds and it should be, it maybe just that simple. Order a couple of dozen 77X, top up the order for the 787 and it's all good from this side of the Pacific. Then again, it maybe pointed out to the new administration that the deal is actually pretty good for AA, so good for the America.

CXfirst

Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:37 am

zkncj wrote:

More change that the QF T1 Lounge will close then? provideing the space for the new NZ Lounge?

I'm assuming the ex-EK lounge will be where NZ go. T3 international operations are still a while away, and I think NZ plan to have their lounge open before QF moves everything to T3. Doubt they would close their lounge before that.

In any case, QF international operations aren't huge at the moment, so the QF lounge really caters for other airlines. I imagine QF might just keep that lounge open, as long as there is enough demand for it. If other airlines start moving to the NZ lounge for instance, then maybe QF will finally close their lounge.

-CXfirst

log0008

Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:27 am

jupiter2 wrote:
log0008 wrote:
qf789 wrote:

As ridiculous as it sounds and it should be, it maybe just that simple. Order a couple of dozen 77X, top up the order for the 787 and it's all good from this side of the Pacific. Then again, it maybe pointed out to the new administration that the deal is actually pretty good for AA, so good for the America.

If QF and AA can show the administration that i will create or protect even a few American jobs it will be supported.

luftaom

Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:12 am

All this talk of QF wanting ultra long haul aircraft for non-stop SYD-LHR (and similar) got me thinking about the underlying strategy.

QF's long haul routes have been plundered by those with a geographical advantage. Initially it was the SQ and CXs of the world - who were able to offer more connections to more places by being more or less in the middle. 5 or 6 years ago I was queuing for checkin at CDG for a SQ A380 flight and was shocked to hear so many Australian and Kiwi accents. I was on the upperdeck Y cabin and I suspect that it must have been 80%+ AU/NZ nationals (which was pretty much my estimate of the checkin queue). 25 years ago they probably would have flown QF.

In more recent years, QF's longhaul customers (ex Americas) have been poached by the ME3 with their even better geographical position of being 1 stop to more or less anywhere in the world.

So I can't help but wonder if the QF strategy is to compete by bypassing the stop and going direct. Sure you will probably have fewer passengers but if you get it right you can probably charge a premium compared to stopping. Non-stop has to be more attractive to the premium class passengers - fight back at the top end against the EK showers, EY suites and SQ beds by effectively saying - your time is valuable and we can cut your travel time to London by a couple of hours and save you the grief associated with connecting etc.
airliners.net's passenger - simultaneously connecting and flying direct.

travelhound

Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:17 am

SonOfABeech wrote:

You can probably add the 747 to that list.

With AJ recently stating the 744ER's will start leaving the fleet in 2022, QF will have five types of aircraft in the international fleet from 2017-2022. That is quite a few different aircraft.

On the plus side, post 2022 QF have the opportunity to simplify their fleet around the 787/777 combo. The A380's could simply sit on the side until they are replaced by 777's in the following five years.

The retirement of the 747ER is new news! QF recently stated the 744ER's could be used on routes to South Africa and South America. At the time they stated these aircraft could be used past the 20 year of age mark. Something has changed.

I suspect QF Internationals new competitiveness will allow for more investment in new aircraft.

LionelHutz

Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:09 am

luftaom wrote:
So I can't help but wonder if the QF strategy is to compete by bypassing the stop and going direct. Sure you will probably have fewer passengers but if you get it right you can probably charge a premium compared to stopping. Non-stop has to be more attractive to the premium class passengers - fight back at the top end against the EK showers, EY suites and SQ beds by effectively saying - your time is valuable and we can cut your travel time to London by a couple of hours and save you the grief associated with connecting etc.

I would think this is the ideal, premium heavy long distance flights.
The trouble is executing, those premium pax are what everyone but the LCC's are after and QF's competitors are no slouchs...
Careful route selection, operational excellence and top notch soft and hard product are necessary. Let's see what they can do with those 789's ;)

ZK-NBT

Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:15 am

What's the 5th type travelhound? 747/787, A330/A380. With the 747 to go by 2023ish sure there could be a small overlap with an additional type but that's normal. With 2 types 787/777 makes most sense to me from what we are hearing of QF's plans.

778 ULH LHR/JFK/ORD non stop from SYD with MEL-LHR, possible PER-LHR, MEL-DFW upto 12 frames
789 premium maybe replaced by 778? Reconfigured or used on routes like BNE-DFW/LAX, SYD-SFO plus 1-2 others, maybe just the initial 8 aircraft in this config?
789 2 class A333 replacement 300 seats BKK/SIN/MNL/CGK/PVG/PEK BNE-HKG/NRT MEL-NRT 10-12 frames
78J 2 class for Asia 350 seats similar highest capacity Asia routes 8-10 frames
779 4 class 300ish seats SYD/MEL-LAX/HKG, SYD-DFW/HND 14/16 frames

JNB/SCL need to fit in to with a 787 most likely.

There's 50+ aircraft with a few new routes who knows what else is planned and 2 basic types with subtypes and configs.

luftaom

Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:53 am

LionelHutz wrote:
The trouble is executing, those premium pax are what everyone but the LCC's are after and QF's competitors are no slouchs...
Careful route selection, operational excellence and top notch soft and hard product are necessary. Let's see what they can do with those 789's ;)

I agree. The one thing that QF could offer which the others simply can't is the ability to go direct.

Whether Airbus and Boeing (and the engine manufacturers) will build the necessary planes and there are enough people willing to pay to go direct is the $64 (billion) question I suppose.

qf789
Topic Author

Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:48 pm

luftaom wrote:
LionelHutz wrote:

I agree. The one thing that QF could offer which the others simply can't is the ability to go direct.

Whether Airbus and Boeing (and the engine manufacturers) will build the necessary planes and there are enough people willing to pay to go direct is the $64 (billion) question I suppose.

I agree too. I think QF could be on a winner here. They can offer direct non-stop flights which basically no other airline could offer. I think we will see a very different QF route network over the coming decade. While the word game changer is used like it s going out of fashion in aviation for QF operating the 787 plus possibly a 778 is game changing. These 2 aircraft will allow QF to fly routes they could never of dreamed before.
Forum Moderator

qf789
Topic Author

Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:33 pm

ZK-NBT wrote:
What's the 5th type travelhound? 747/787, A330/A380. With the 747 to go by 2023ish sure there could be a small overlap with an additional type but that's normal. With 2 types 787/777 makes most sense to me from what we are hearing of QF's plans.

778 ULH LHR/JFK/ORD non stop from SYD with MEL-LHR, possible PER-LHR, MEL-DFW upto 12 frames
789 premium maybe replaced by 778? Reconfigured or used on routes like BNE-DFW/LAX, SYD-SFO plus 1-2 others, maybe just the initial 8 aircraft in this config?
789 2 class A333 replacement 300 seats BKK/SIN/MNL/CGK/PVG/PEK BNE-HKG/NRT MEL-NRT 10-12 frames
78J 2 class for Asia 350 seats similar highest capacity Asia routes 8-10 frames
779 4 class 300ish seats SYD/MEL-LAX/HKG, SYD-DFW/HND 14/16 frames

JNB/SCL need to fit in to with a 787 most likely.

There's 50+ aircraft with a few new routes who knows what else is planned and 2 basic types with subtypes and configs.

I agree that between 25 up to 30 777's seems right, 12 778's and the rest 779's. On the 787's AJ did say providing the current 8 789's make them money they are likely to order the remaining 45 options/purchase rights, this would take the 787 fleet to 53. Considering the current fleet consists of 51 widebodies we could see QF grow their widebody fleet by 50%. I think we could see the premium 789 around 20 frames with the other 33 being 2 class 787's for domestic/regional routes. This would replace the 28 A330's plus have around 5 aircraft for new routes. I have based 13 787's to assume domestic flying which is about what the A330's do now however if QF were to either operate the A321neo or 737MAX10 the number of 787's on domestic could be reduced. I also say we would see 20 789's in the premium configuration as QF has already indicated providing PER-LHR is successful they would like to have PER as their European hub and fly also to CDG, FRA and FCO. I do wonder if this is still the plan with 778's in the fleet or would they fly non-stop from SYD/MEL. I tend to think PER could be a better option as feed from right around Australia would be less riskier than operating a non-stop from the east coast. A 787/777 fleet does get the mind thinking of what routes we may see. Something that comes to my mind is PER-LAX, though extremely unlikely I guess something like this cant be ruled out. I have compiled a list of what we may see in the next 10 years. I would like this list to be a starting point for discussion, so everyone's input/feedback is welcome. Feel free to add routes not mentioned or any routes with wrong equipment type. All figures in brackets are numbers of aircraft for each type/route

778 (12)
SYD-LHR daily (2.5)
SYD-JFK daily (2)
SYD-ORD daily (2)
MEL-LHR daily (2.5)
MEL-DFW daily (2)

779 (13-18)
SYD-LAX daily (2)
MEL-LAX daily (2)
SYD-DFW daily (2)
SYD-HKG daily (1)
SYD-HND daily (2)
SYD-SFO daily (2)
MEL-HKG daily (1)

789 – 3 class (up to 20)
MEL-LAX daily (2)
BNE-LAX daily (2)
SYD-SCL daily (2)
SYD-JNB daily (2)
MEL-PER LHR (2.5)

789/787-10– 2 class (33 including domestic)
SYD-SIN 2 daily (2)
SYD-BKK daily (1)
SYD-HKG daily (1)
SYD-CGK 5 weekly (1)
SYD-PVG daily (1)
SYD-PEK daily (1.5)
SYD-MNL 5 weekly (1)
SYD-HNL 4 weekly (1)
MEL-SIN 10 weekly (1.5)
MEL-NRT daily (1)
BNE-SIN daily (1)
BNE-HKG daily (1)
BNE-NRT daily (1)

788/789
Domestic (13)

787 new routes/seasonal routes with more frequency
SYD-YVR 3 weekly (1)
PER-AKL daily (1)
MEL-PER-FCO daily (2.5)
SYD-PER-FRA daily (2.5)
BNE-PER-CDG daily (2.5)
MEL-SFO (2)
PER-SIN (1)
BNE-DFW (2)
MEL-PVG (1)
Forum Moderator

SonOfABeech

Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:31 pm

I'll believe PER-continental Europe when I see it. Seems to me like it'll be a fancy way to lose a lot of money.

ZK-NBT

Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:16 pm

Good stuff QF789, my list was a bit hard to read. Is it likely that QF will take the JQ 788's to replace the domestic A330's and JQ get 789's? That what's the original plan I think? Or do JQ not need anything larger?

QF are an airline where the A380 makes sense and as we frequently discuss potentially. Could use 2-3 more if they had them but the CEO says they are happy with the 12 they have, heck 1 more would allow them to make SYD-LAX daily yearround as well as SYD-HKG which they have said could use a 4 class aircraft.

Even in future with all these 777/787 we are proposing they could keep 1 LHR flight via DXB for the masses or leave that to EK? with an A380 while using 777/787 from SYD/MEL/PER since they have 4 slots, not to say they need to use them all but going non stop will certainly give them an advantage. Anyway the A380 works on SYD/MEL-LAX/DFW. I'm aware they would be distributing PAX away from LAX as they already are with DFW. It's annoying I find all these people in the other thread saying how the A380 is to big and expensive for QF which clearly it seems it's not. How about in future for the following a fleet of 10/12 A380 pretty much what they do now even though they want to reduce types long term.

SYD-DXB-LHR daily 3 aircraft
SYD-LAX daily 2 aircraft
MEL-LAX daily 2 aircraft
SYD-DFW daily 2 aircraft
SYD-HKG daily 1 aircraft

SonOfABeech wrote:
I'll believe PER-continental Europe when I see it. Seems to me like it'll be a fancy way to lose a lot of money.

We will see but going non stop will give QF an advantage, weather they can turn a profit remains to be seen but QF atleast have a long term plan to get back some of the market they have lost. I think all depends on how PER-LHR goes.

zkncj

Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:45 pm

luftaom wrote:
QF's long haul routes have been plundered by those with a geographical advantage. Initially it was the SQ and CXs of the world - who were able to offer more connections to more places by being more or less in the middle. 5 or 6 years ago I was queuing for checkin at CDG for a SQ A380 flight and was shocked to hear so many Australian and Kiwi accents. I was on the upperdeck Y cabin and I suspect that it must have been 80%+ AU/NZ nationals (which was pretty much my estimate of the checkin queue). 25 years ago they probably would have flown QF.

Recently when taking an FCO-ZRH flight most of the passengers all had NZ,AU passports all head back to NZ,AU via ZRH and AISA.

Totally agree that I wouldn't even think of taking Qantas between New Zealand and Europe anymore, the fact that they force you via DXB just add's extra time and a crazy airport. Much easier just to route via PVG,SIN,YVR etc and connect to another airline.

luftaom

Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:46 pm

I had the misfortune of connecting in PVG both to and from Australia at Christmas.

I normally make a cost benefit analysis and have a price for everything - but I can safely say that I would never connect in PVG (and China more generally) again (no matter how cheap) until such time as they change the procedures which require you to clear passport control, collect bags, clear customs and then head up to checkin and head back out through passport.

On the way out I had 3 hours between flights and only made the flight because QF were good enough to keep checkin open for the people off my BA flight. When I got to the QF plane it was on final call.

On the way back it was a KA-BA connection and my wife and I were the only ones to make the connection (there were about 10 others behind us in the immigration queue who had come off the same KA flight and didn't make it as BA closed checkin about 10 seconds after we arrived at the counter).

There is a sign at the passport control which says to make yourself known if you had under 90 minutes until your next departure. Doing so was met with shouting from the immigration officials that if you had a problem with waiting then you should have applied for a visa before you left and if you book a short connection then it was your own fault. Followed by a general go slow to flex their muscles.

It was an absolute nightmare - and if the Chinese authorities want their airports and airlines to be full of connecting passengers then they need to go to SIN/BKK/HKG/NRT/HND/FRA or LHR to see how it's done. Heck even LAX is easier to connect at.

30% of passengers passing through both LHR and CDG are in transit and I imagine that the figures for SIN (which is the easiest place in the world to connect in the world if you ask me) and HKG are even higher. Given that airlines generally operate on margins of >10% - that's (all things being equal) the difference between losing a bundle and making a bundle.

There was a very confusing sign at PVG which kind of suggested that a NZ-VS connection didn't require you to go out through passport control/customs - but it was very poorly drafted so I'm not 100% sure. I also read elsewhere that Air China has a new thing whereby transit passengers can sign an authority on their baggage tag which means that the bags will go straight through (the signature gives the Chinese customs the authority to open the bags).

(I appreciate that some nationalities who want to transit in Australia need to pre apply for a travel authority before they can get on the Australian bound flight - I'm sure that this takes some traffic off QF (and others) so others may have similar comments to my comments re PVG above when it comes to SYD)

qf789
Topic Author

Sun Jan 29, 2017 5:14 am

A QF passenger is facing up to 10 years jail after trying to open a door on board QF12 on the 17th of January

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/nati ... 2d037b713a
Forum Moderator

qf789
Topic Author

Sun Jan 29, 2017 5:20 am

QF to wind back AA deal, will try again for joint venture

Qantas will scrap some code-sharing and loyalty points reciprocity with American Airlines, in a move that will hurt customers but the carrier says will help convince United States authorities to approve a formal tie-up between the two companies.     
The Flying Kangaroo confirmed on Saturday it would re-apply to the US Department of Transportation for immunity from anti-competition laws so it can launch a lucrative but as-yet elusive joint venture with American. 

http://www.smh.com.au/business/aviation ... u0jtw.html
Forum Moderator

qf789
Topic Author

Sun Jan 29, 2017 6:02 am

EK406 MEL-AKL diverts to NZ Airforce base

http://www.news.com.au/world/breaking-n ... 2fd6962996
Forum Moderator

Cerecl

Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:03 am

luftaom wrote:
I had the misfortune of connecting in PVG both to and from Australia at Christmas.

On the way back it was a KA-BA connection and my wife and I were the only ones to make the connection (there were about 10 others behind us in the immigration queue who had come off the same KA flight and didn't make it as BA closed checkin about 10 seconds after we arrived at the counter).

Transit via PVG is not the easiest, I had to go through the same a few years back. However if you fly in/out with two different airlines (unless there is agreement with luggage interline) at most airports you are going to run into problems with luggage collection. Unless I am much mistaken if you fly DXB-SYD with Emirates then SYD-WLG with NZ you also have to clear immigration, collect luggage and recheck in. Which airlines did you fly out of Australia with and just out of curiosity, how does a KA-BA connection to Australia requires you to transit via PVG?
I believe if you fly with MU you don't need to go through the procedure you described at PVG. As to other airports of China, PEK was great there was a special passage for transit customers. I would stay away from CAN though, it was confusing to even this native speaker.
Fokker-100 SAAB 340 Q400 E190 717 737 738 763ER 787-8 772 77E 773 77W 747-400 747-400ER A319 A320 A321 A332 A333 A343 A346 A359 A380

qf789
Topic Author

Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:15 am

QF opens its new A380 hangar (or shed as some Australian media refer to it as) at LAX

http://www.news.com.au/finance/business ... a7f1dc091d
Forum Moderator

Obzerva

Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:25 am

qf789 wrote:

Qantas will scrap some code-sharing and loyalty points reciprocity with American Airlines, in a move that will hurt customers but the carrier says will help convince United States authorities to approve a formal tie-up between the two companies.     
The Flying Kangaroo confirmed on Saturday it would re-apply to the US Department of Transportation for immunity from anti-competition laws so it can launch a lucrative but as-yet elusive joint venture with American. 

does seem more dummy spit than bargaining tactic.

I'm sure a Boeing order is all it'll take to get it across the line.

qf789
Topic Author

Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:10 am

EK435 AKL-BNE left AKL 1hr and 45 minutes late due to an ill passenger

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/8887393 ... ay-closure
Forum Moderator

zkncj

Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:17 am

qf789 wrote:

Not an great day for A380 services at AKL seems like an long time to off-load an ill passenger and bags, although with 5 A380s on ground at once AKL must of been at breaking point.

getluv

Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:20 am

Obzerva wrote:
qf789 wrote:

does seem more dummy spit than bargaining tactic.

I'm sure a Boeing order is all it'll take to get it across the line.

Probably a smart tactic. Remove the QF codeshare from the AA flight, use a couple of weeks of sales without the codeshare to show the DOT what happens when there's no support as evidence.
I'm that bad type.

luftaom

Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:32 am

Cerecl wrote:
Transit via PVG is not the easiest, I had to go through the same a few years back. However if you fly in/out with two different airlines (unless there is agreement with luggage interline) at most airports you are going to run into problems with luggage collection. .

This was all one ticket.

qf789
Topic Author

Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:35 am

zkncj wrote:
qf789 wrote:

Not an great day for A380 services at AKL seems like an long time to off-load an ill passenger and bags, although with 5 A380s on ground at once AKL must of been at breaking point.

It looks that way. EK407 to MEL and EK449 to DXB also departed an hour late
Forum Moderator

qf789
Topic Author

Sun Jan 29, 2017 2:46 pm

Qantas offers refunds or change of destination for those affected by US travel ban

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-01-29/q ... an/8221186
Forum Moderator

qf789
Topic Author

Sun Jan 29, 2017 4:31 pm

Alan Joyce says Badgery's Creek must cater for low cost airlines and not be a "Taj Mahal". From the article QF wants to stay at SYD and be a single terminal operation for both domestic and international. JQ on the other hand may move all their low cost operation to Badgery's Creek

http://www.afr.com/business/transport/a ... 129-gu0s5h
Forum Moderator

qf789
Topic Author

Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:27 am

TG tentatively schedules A359 for MEL, TG465/466 from 1 October 17

TG461/462 will be upgraded from 772 to 77W from 1 August 17

http://www.routesonline.com/news/38/air ... f-27jan17/
Forum Moderator

qf789
Topic Author

Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:53 am

There has been an incident at SYD airport where there has been a collision between 2 aircraft leading to 2 domestic flights being cancelled. One of the flights involved is QF532 to BNE.

https://www.facebook.com/AIRLINESECRETS/
Forum Moderator

jupiter2

Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:09 am

Just a note about SYD and the airport that will be at Badgerys Creek and the weather. Currently at SYD it is 34c, at Badgerys Creek it is 42c and it is about the 5th day this month that 40+ has been hit in this area. While I know that hot and sea level isn't a huge factor, these extremes will be faced a lot more often at Badgerys Creek than what they are at SYD. No nice cooling sea breezes out here in the west unfortunately.

bunumuring

Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:04 pm

An767 wrote:
He does not like AJ ever since he introduced the new livery last year, Perhaps AJ never answered his protest letter .
But honestly why would AJ want to go just yet , he has done a great job fixing QF , but still a bit more to do . Plus as Mariner has said an internal recruit would be ideal so prehaps AJ is grooming ( for the want of a better word) at the moment
AN767

Hey mate,
If you read my posts over the past few years you would see that I am a FAN of Alan Joyce's, both the man and his achievements. Lol, you are so wrong with your statement. Yes I vehemently disliked the font and tail and most of the revised colourscheme but I DID receive a response to my multi-faceted protest, so you are wrong again.
I actually hope that someone local can replace AJ but any succession planning underway would be considering all options from all parts of the world, including NZ and the ME.... And maybe even the US. I don't want AJ to leave, I really don't but when all is said and done, his horizon may stretch past what QF can offer him.
So think again buddy.
Cheers,
Bunumuring.
I just wanna live while I'm alive!

An767

Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:16 pm

bunumuring wrote:
An767 wrote:
AN767

Hey mate,
If you read my posts over the past few years you would see that I am a FAN of Alan Joyce's, both the man and his achievements. Lol, you are so wrong with your statement. Yes I vehemently disliked the font and tail and most of the revised colourscheme but I DID receive a response to my multi-faceted protest, so you are wrong again.
I actually hope that someone local can replace AJ but any succession planning underway would be considering all options from all parts of the world, including NZ and the ME.... And maybe even the US. I don't want AJ to leave, I really don't but when all is said and done, his horizon may stretch past what QF can offer him.
So think again buddy.
Cheers,
Bunumuring.

Not going to get into an internet stoush with you . You say you got a reply from QF well done . We both have opinions lets leave it at that
If its got wings put me on it. If it floats on water take it away

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos