Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

iFlyDTW
Topic Author

Where will Spirit go next?

Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:58 pm

I'm curious to hear what everyone thinks about where Spirit is going to fly and the direction they're heading. The new routes announced last week were indicators that they're still expanding in large markets.

I think potential routes would include these

EWR to TPA, RSW, MSP, LAX, LAS, MSY, MCI, ATL, SEA, OAK
BOS to LAX, IAH, MSY, MCI, SEA, OAK
BWI to MSY, MCI, PHX
ATL to MCI, SEA, SAN, PHX, OAK
MCO to SAN, LAX, SEA, LAS
TPA to LAX, LAS, IAG, PBG, MCI
RSW to MCI, IAG, PBG
DTW to SAN, PBI
These are just a few ideas.

I see them flying to BNA, AUS, RDU, IND, STL, and JAX in the future.

ahj2000

Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:09 pm

New routes or cities?
For cities: SMF, SLC, PSP, AUS/SAT, IND, MKE, STL, BNA and/or MEM, CLT/USA and/or RDU. Maybe JAX, BDL, and CMH? Also, year round to Cabo would probably be a good idea.
-Andrés Juánez

enilria

Re: Where will Spirit go next?

Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:12 pm

I think it is interesting that NK seemingly has already backed off their plan to expand into G4/FL type cities. Yes, they did CAK, but it would appear they are actually shrinking in ACY/MYR which are NK's traditional G4/FL type cities. Unless we get an announcement of more CAK/FNT/GRR/PHF/ICT type stuff it appears they have switched strategies again back to major markets.

Fornaro said in an interview that MCI was a disappointment and I think their lack of success there has jaundiced BNA/AUS/IND/STL. JAX is in the gray area between a medium size city and a beach market. I could see it happening. I'm also noticing that NK actually prefers two+ carrier markets which at first blush is odd, but I think they are avoiding the competitive dynamics of entering monopoly markets because it is more likely the existing carrier will add capacity to hurt them.

EWR to TPA/RSW/MSY agree
EWR to MSP/LAX/LAS/SEA/OAK unlikely
BOS to MSY agree
BOS to LAX/MCI/SEA/OAK unlikely
BOS to IAH maybe
BWI to MSY/MCI/PHX agree
ATL to MCI/SEA/SAN/PHX/OAK unlikely
MCO to SAN/LAX/SEA/LAS unlikely
TPA to TPA/LAS unlikely
TPA to IAG/PBG/MCI maybe
RSW to MCI agree
RSW to IAG/PBG maybe
DTW to SAN/PBI agree

9w748capt

Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:16 pm

It's bizarre to me that they won't try leisure routes out of places like OKC or TUL. I know many people who drive 12+ hours to the FL beaches, or even longer to the west coast. NK could definitely attract some leisure pax with their cheap fares here. Hard to believe but people in the heartland fly too!

JetBlueCLT

Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:20 pm

CLT, once the new concourse is built.
Pittsburgh Penguins, Steelers, Pirates and Charlotte Hornets Fan

ahj2000

Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:25 pm

JetBlueCLT wrote:
CLT, once the new concourse is built.

I think that the success of F9 and Allegiant shows how good Spirit could do here. I do think that if they choose the Charlotte metro in the near term, they might decide to go to Concord. They could market it as a NASCAR market and it is even cheaper than the cheap Douglas.
That being said, I'd love to hate seeing NK at my home airport :D
-Andrés Juánez

lavalampluva

Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:31 pm

My guess is they are going to do more expansion in the Midwest. (OKC, STL, MEM) and Mexico.
Remind me to send a thank you note to Mr. Boeing.

aaflyer777

Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:33 pm

They might be able to make BOS-OAK work, there's a ton of traffic between BOS and the bay area so I wouldn't rule that one out. BOS-MSY is no brainer, route is begging for another carrier.

msycajun

Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:02 pm

BWI-MSY has already been announced, beginning in June. I think MSY-EWR/LGA has potential - it's our largest O&D market and has no ULCC service.

One pattern I've noticed is NK going after less than daily routes on F9 and G4. NK is building up more connections with WN-esque focus cities, so that gives it an advantage over the other ULCCs.

Here at MSY, I could see them also adding DEN and PHL - two F9 routes, as well as MSP, BOS, PHX, SAN, and TPA - other decent markets with no competition. Maybe also CUN and SAP.

I'm curious to see if they open any new stations soon. Would definitely like to see PIT replace LBE. I think RDU and SLC could use some ULCC expansion.

celltower

Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:23 pm

I wonder if they'll restart ACY - ATL in the spring/summer. I believe they loaded ACY - BOS, but no ACY - ATL back yet.

DFW789ER

Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:26 pm

Not sure about BNA. Most any route they open to current destinations are going to be covered by at least one or more carriers. NK doesn't seem to worry about things like that, but just not sure Nashville is on the radar just yet.

dabpit

Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:43 pm

iFlyDTW wrote:
BWI to MSY, MCI, PHX
RSW to MCI, IAG, PBG
DTW to SAN, PBI

I see them adding a few new cities including JAX, DAB, MDT, ABE, LIT, TUL, ICT, IND, SDF, and OKC.
There is an airport change that could happen sooner rather than later and that is switching flights from LBE to PIT.

EWR to TPA,RSW, MSY, plus JAX and DAB
BWI to MSY, MCI, PHX, plus JAX
MCO to MDT, ABE, LIT, TUL, ICT, IND, SDF, OKC
TPA to IAG, PBG, plus ABE, IND, and SDF
DTW to SAN, PBI, plus JAX and DAB (seasonal)
Domestic: FLL to JAX, MDT, ABE, LIT, TUL, ICT, IND, SDF, OKC
Int: FLL to CLO, POS, PTP, FDF, BGI, GEO, TGU, TZA, MEX
Int: IAH/DFW to MEX, MTY, GDL, ACA, VER, VSA
Carpe Diem

Boeingphan

Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:50 pm

DSM?

AirbusMDCFAN

Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:57 pm

enilria wrote:
JAX is in the gray area between a medium size city and a beach market. I could see it happening.

A properly timed early AM with a 3:45-4:00PM departure from JAX to FLL does well. JetBlue does quite well with FLL and JAX. The early AM flight is filled with business travelers, and college students. I prefer to work the early AM JAX flight over some others. Also it is convenient gateway to southern Georgia

Also keep in mind MYR and ACY have been contracted out for NK.

BatonOps

Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:07 pm

Any thoughts on MDT???

wilcal

Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:32 pm

enilria wrote:
I think it is interesting that NK seemingly has already backed off their plan to expand into G4/FL type cities. Yes, they did CAK, but it would appear they are actually shrinking in ACY/MYR which are NK's traditional G4/FL type cities. Unless we get an announcement of more CAK/FNT/GRR/PHF/ICT type stuff it appears they have switched strategies again back to major markets.

Fornaro said in an interview that MCI was a disappointment and I think their lack of success there has jaundiced BNA/AUS/IND/STL. JAX is in the gray area between a medium size city and a beach market. I could see it happening. I'm also noticing that NK actually prefers two+ carrier markets which at first blush is odd, but I think they are avoiding the competitive dynamics of entering monopoly markets because it is more likely the existing carrier will add capacity to hurt them.

BOS to IAH maybe

$92 RT. That's what Jetblue has been charging off-season lately. This market has been an absolute bloodbath with UA/SWA/Jetblue all in the market.

aviationjunky

Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:36 pm

With all the success that G4 and F9 are having in Ohio, I would assume they would jump on the CVG bandwagon. Maybe even IND.
LAS is Life

phluser

Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:46 pm

celltower wrote:
I wonder if they'll restart ACY - ATL in the spring/summer. I believe they loaded ACY - BOS, but no ACY - ATL back yet.

ACY-ATL is offered nonstop from April 27. It typically has run to October and has had extended period over ACY-BOS (which ends typically right after Labor Day). ACY-ORD and DTW is not slated to return and those have had same season lengths as ACY-BOS. It's also possible to connect in Florida to fly between ACY and ATL, where those other markets don't have that to ACY.

Interesting for Chicago, is that WN is offering plenty of $59 fares for February on EWR-MDW. Not a great time for visiting Chicago, but I wonder if this is a preemptive move to discourage NK from adding EWR-ORD. Otherwise, I'm surprised by the discounted fares when there is no lower fare challenger to WN on this route.

phluser

Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:52 pm

I'd like to see BWI-PHX, PHL-PHX or EWR-PHX. PHX doesn't have that much ULCC service, esp longer distance ULCC service.

tb727

Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:07 pm

enilria wrote:
Fornaro said in an interview that MCI was a disappointment and I think their lack of success there has jaundiced BNA/AUS/IND/STL.

The problem with MCI was not having any Florida service until just a couple months ago, I think that was a big mistake when they started MCI. IAH and DFW were miserable failures out of there. ORD was fairly popular but was taken away as well. LAS and LAX were good adds and DTW is hanging on.

CAK was an add that made me just go, meh. I don't know if there was a deal done to bring in service there by NK but I just don't know why with CLE doing rather well just down the road. I would rather have seen CMH before CAK.

As far as new cities I would say BNA, SAT, SLC, CMH, CLT, IND and MEM are my guesses for service in the next ~18 months. Some random wildcards for me would be AUS, ALB, JAX, DAY, SMF, STL, RIC and ELP.
Too lazy to work, too scared to steal!

SurfandSnow

Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:40 pm

NK already serves the nation's 20 largest population centers. By far the largest domestic market NK does not serve? STL, which would probably be a risky move given the lackluster performance of MCI. In terms of Missouri I think NK may actually be better off trying BKG. We are talking about an airline with quite a knack for making low end tourist destinations work (ACY, MYR anyone?), not to mention decent feed and presence in Branson's top markets like ATL, DEN, DFW, IAH, ORD, etc. Along similar lines, the Florida Panhandle might be a good opportunity for NK. G4 may have beaten them to VPS, but there still isn't low fare service to the likes of Atlanta, Chicago and Dallas from there. Other opportunities might include popular destinations like ABQ, AUS, JAX, ORF/PHF, PSP, RNO and SAT. It seems like NK thrives better in markets with at least some tourist appeal.
Flying in the middle seat of coach is much better than not flying at all!

727LOVER

Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:03 pm

SurfandSnow wrote:
. It seems like NK thrives better in markets with at least some tourist appeal.

SRQ? cough

If this had been early 80s...yeah...they would have been here by now. These days, this airport's cost structure to the airlines, not to mention the car rental companies, makes it a lot less appealing. IT SHOWS...look at the service vs 30 years ago
"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

OslPhlWasChi

Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:33 pm

With the expansion of F9 at PHL, I only see modest growth for NK since they appear less likely to compete directly with F9. Some ideas for new routes at PHL are:

ORD - they tried it while F9 was also on the route but both have since dropped it so maybe at least one will go at it again
IAH - F9 is beginning year-round 4x but especially with no WN service to HOU (which is long overdue), this might work with their large IAH presence
BOS - unlikely, but a ULCC with summer seasonal daily service on the route might work, and NK is growing at BOS
PHX - only if F9 doesn't add this first, loads are very healthy for US and WN on this route (I don't know about yields)

airplaneboy

Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:49 pm

How many aircraft do they have on order and when are they to be delivered?

TWA772LR

Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:50 pm

Could NK be the first US LCC, AS doesn't count as LCC anymore, into Canada? Alberta and BC are popular with millenials in the summer. YYZ, YUL, and YOW would do well from Florida.
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

MesaFlyGuy

Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:01 am

AirbusMDCFAN wrote:
enilria wrote:
JAX is in the gray area between a medium size city and a beach market. I could see it happening.

A properly timed early AM with a 3:45-4:00PM departure from JAX to FLL does well. JetBlue does quite well with FLL and JAX. The early AM flight is filled with business travelers, and college students. I prefer to work the early AM JAX flight over some others. Also it is convenient gateway to southern Georgia

Also keep in mind MYR and ACY have been contracted out for NK.

Actually not just MYR and ACY, every station except FLL is now contracted out for Spirit. :)
The views I express are my own and do not reflect the views and opinions of my company.

iFlyDTW
Topic Author

Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:19 am

dabpit wrote:
iFlyDTW wrote:
BWI to MSY, MCI, PHX
RSW to MCI, IAG, PBG
DTW to SAN, PBI

I see them adding a few new cities including JAX, DAB, MDT, ABE, LIT, TUL, ICT, IND, SDF, and OKC.
There is an airport change that could happen sooner rather than later and that is switching flights from LBE to PIT.

EWR to TPA,RSW, MSY, plus JAX and DAB
BWI to MSY, MCI, PHX, plus JAX
MCO to MDT, ABE, LIT, TUL, ICT, IND, SDF, OKC
TPA to IAG, PBG, plus ABE, IND, and SDF
DTW to SAN, PBI, plus JAX and DAB (seasonal)
Domestic: FLL to JAX, MDT, ABE, LIT, TUL, ICT, IND, SDF, OKC
Int: FLL to CLO, POS, PTP, FDF, BGI, GEO, TGU, TZA, MEX
Int: IAH/DFW to MEX, MTY, GDL, ACA, VER, VSA
I think it'll be some time until you see NK at some of the medium/small sized airports above, you know what's crazy though? I see NK adding DTW to PIT, IND and ORD to PIT. DTW has about 100 to 150 each way for both IND and PIT, DL's high fares generally restrict the amount of people that fly so it's mostly drive, but since they're all rust belt cities and now are becoming interrelated by business it's possible you could see DTW to PIT and IND.

DFW789ER

Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:24 am

TWA772LR wrote:
Could NK be the first US LCC, AS doesn't count as LCC anymore, into Canada? Alberta and BC are popular with millenials in the summer. YYZ, YUL, and YOW would do well from Florida.

Not sure about the western provinces, but in winter there are tons of flights from eastern Canadian cities to Florida.

czek6

Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:30 am

Southwest has slightly pulled down BWI international flights while they focus on Houston and Ft Lauderdale, so I wonder if this presents an interesting opportunity for Spirit to try BWI-CUN or other Caribbean service.

flyfresno

Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:59 am

LAS-FAT and LAS-SCK. Both super successful Allegiant routes (up to 3X per day on peak days) and their reliability, plus the ability to connect, even if only to a few cities, would put Spirit ahead on both.

crazytoaster

Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:04 am

iFlyDTW wrote:
I think it'll be some time until you see NK at some of the medium/small sized airports above, you know what's crazy though? I see NK adding DTW to PIT, IND and ORD to PIT. DTW has about 100 to 150 each way for both IND and PIT, DL's high fares generally restrict the amount of people that fly so it's mostly drive, but since they're all rust belt cities and now are becoming interrelated by business it's possible you could see DTW to PIT and IND.

No way NK add DTW-PIT/IND unless want to become a traditional network carrier. Which they won't.

I agree those DL flights are expensive but both IND and PIT are a 4-5 hour drive to Detroit. Which with all the hassle of airport and flying would not provide much time savings in this case. I see a PDEW of 54 and 39 from Q2 2014 for those markets.
DEN homebase. Frequent traveler to IND and RNO.

iFlyDTW
Topic Author

Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:08 am

About Canada, NK has more US markets that are left before focusing on Canada. It'll be a while for NK to do Canada.

guillelds

Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:08 am

Why not MCO-BOG?

tpl37

Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:09 am

I can see Spirit moving into USA to compete with Allegiant. I would rather not see a lot of ULCCs at CLTs new terminal.

bravoindia

Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:36 am

Would love to see Spirit at ABE to compete with G4
Jet-A, coffee, headset.

aemoreira1981

Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:53 am

aaflyer777 wrote:
They might be able to make BOS-OAK work, there's a ton of traffic between BOS and the bay area so I wouldn't rule that one out. BOS-MSY is no brainer, route is begging for another carrier.

That route may seem to be a bit long for Spirit though, as they tend to fly a lot of point-to-point. I could see BOS-DTW-OAK or BOS-ORD-OAK though. I can't see them doing straight transcon. As for ACY, with EWR having its slot restrictions removed (although that it only has 2 runways in use most times with 11/29 sometimes for regional jets or crosswinds), I'd expect a lot of ACY flights to move to EWR or LGA (if some LGA flights are moved to EWR).

msycajun

Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:59 am

aemoreira1981 wrote:
aaflyer777 wrote:

That route may seem to be a bit long for Spirit though, as they tend to fly a lot of point-to-point. I could see BOS-DTW-OAK or BOS-ORD-OAK though. I can't see them doing straight transcon. As for ACY, with EWR having its slot restrictions removed (although that it only has 2 runways in use most times with 11/29 sometimes for regional jets or crosswinds), I'd expect a lot of ACY flights to move to EWR or LGA (if some LGA flights are moved to EWR).

Well, they're starting BWI-OAK/SEA this summer, which are almost as long as BOS-OAK. I can't imagine wanting to do a transcon on NK, but I guess there is a market.

brains

Tue Jan 24, 2017 3:08 am

As of December 31, 2016 95 aircraft were in the fleet. Net 12 additional aircraft will enter the fleet in 2017 (this includes the retirement of two A321s and one A319) bringing the fleet to 107 by the end of 2017.

50 aircraft are on order after 2017 deliveries for a total of 157 in 2021.

a318

Tue Jan 24, 2017 3:49 am

Any chance of Spirit opening up ISP again? They had a pretty nice operation out of Islip before they moved to LGA and they recently restarted service into ISP only to pull out.

southwest1675

Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:02 am

I could see BNA.
Herb Kelleher 1931-2019

aemoreira1981

Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:35 am

brains wrote:

As of December 31, 2016 95 aircraft were in the fleet. Net 12 additional aircraft will enter the fleet in 2017 (this includes the retirement of two A321s and one A319) bringing the fleet to 107 by the end of 2017.

The two A321s are likely the last two non-sharkleted A321s in their fleet. As for retiring an A319, I'm surprised that Spirit would iven that they bought 3 off lease and extended the lease on another.

BTW, would a plane like the Embraer 195AR have any place in NK's fleet? (That plane can seat 122 in a high density configuration and could supplant an A319 on some routes; I expect that Spirit would probably do 4 Big Chair seats and 116 economy seats..)

ahj2000

Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:11 pm

aemoreira1981 wrote:
brains wrote:

The two A321s are likely the last two non-sharkleted A321s in their fleet. As for retiring an A319, I'm surprised that Spirit would iven that they bought 3 off lease and extended the lease on another.

BTW, would a plane like the Embraer 195AR have any place in NK's fleet? (That plane can seat 122 in a high density configuration and could supplant an A319 on some routes; I expect that Spirit would probably do 4 Big Chair seats and 116 economy seats..)

If I were spirit I'd go CS100. The 195 is a great model, but since NK doesn't appear to be afraid of new frames, why not get something similarly sized but more fuel efficient?? They could hype it up like AirBaltic
-Andrés Juánez

oflanigan

Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:32 pm

I see people mention PIT, but remember they are east of PIT in Latrobe(LBE). I think an opportunity was missed to relocate to PIT when Frontier and Allegiant began to establish ops.

KCaviator

Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:42 pm

What about Florida's Gulf Coast? G4 has had a major expansion at VPS recently, so there's obviously some type of market there. Can anyone see ECP or PNS? Or even VPS I suppose.

dabpit

Tue Jan 24, 2017 3:06 pm

oflanigan wrote:
I see people mention PIT, but remember they are east of PIT in Latrobe(LBE). I think an opportunity was missed to relocate to PIT when Frontier and Allegiant began to establish ops.

As mentioned before they will probably move from LBE to PIT. This is long overdue.
Carpe Diem

tomaheath

Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:40 pm

MHT to MCO?? A little competition in the Orlando market.

iFlyDTW
Topic Author

Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:06 pm

I'll point a few things out
Canada isn't going to happen for NK right now, routes like YYZ to MCO or YVR to LAX already have enough competition or low cost carriers.
I would expect the next markets to be IND, BNA, CLT, STL, AUS.
No transatlantic or pacific markets in the near future.
NK is still interested in competition on busy routes, like EWR-IAH (which was just announced).

kcrwflyer

Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:07 pm

dabpit wrote:
oflanigan wrote:

As mentioned before they will probably move from LBE to PIT. This is long overdue.

So they add CAK on top of CLE, but you're still sure they'll move from LBE to PIT. Do tell.

dabpit

Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:42 pm

kcrwflyer wrote:
So they add CAK on top of CLE, but you're still sure they'll move from LBE to PIT. Do tell.

LBE was used as a secondary airport to PIT were as they are not selling CAK as a secondary airport to CLE but rather a separate market. There is potential for NK to grow in Southwestern PA but that will not happen at LBE due to the inadequate terminal and lack of ramp space.
Carpe Diem

DFW789ER

Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:28 pm

southwest1675 wrote:
I could see BNA.

What cities? If they stick to the method they use, probably to some of their focus cities, or hubs if that's the terminology they use. DFW, DTW, MCO, FLL? All have WN in competition, albeit DAL in the one case. I've not been flying much this winter. Is Frontier still operating to of the adds they started last fall? (ORD, MCO I think? Maybe one other?)

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos