9lflyguy
Topic Author

Dual Airline Use Aircraft?

Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:44 am

I remember seeing a picture on here a while back that had a picture of an aircraft with one airline on one side of the aircraft and one airline on the other. It was an older aircraft. Does anyone remember this thread? Does this happen where multiple airlines share the use of one aircraft other than leasing? Thank you.
Flown on: 319, 320, 321, 712, 722, 732, 733, 734, 735, 737, 738, 739, 752, 753, 763, 772, CR2, CR7, CR9, DHA, D8B, D8C, D95, E140, E145, E170, E175, E190, M82, M88, M90, S340

Lindegaard

Re: Dual Airline Use Aircraft?

Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:07 am

Is this the one?
viewtopic.php?t=578793

LAX772LR

Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:09 am

The aircraft were not dual-use.... they were strictly paint-jobs meant to advertise cooperation with a partner. Famous examples were NW/KL on a DC10, BA/SQ on an SSC, etc.

The planes were still 100% the property (or lease) of their respective registered airline.

About the closest you would've seen to dual-use, was Braniff and British Airways + Air France switching off on the latters' Concordes for IAD-DFW; or PanAm and Delta switching off on Delta's 747s for IAD-LHR.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

Wingtips56

Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:31 am

Going back a few decades, there were the Interchange flights in the 1960's and '70's, such as with American and Alaska. An AA plane operated IAH-DFW-SEA-ANC-FAI as did an AS plane. AA cockpit and cabin crew flew south of SEA and AS crews flew north of SEA. I remember AA crews fussing about the AS planes as they had to assemble, load and use a 3-tiered cart for service in the aisle, differing from the normal commissary carts.
Other airlines had similar interchanges. Part of this, as I recall, was to provide through service on routes that the C.A.B. controlled, assigning airlines to operate under geographic constraints.
The AA/AS interchange went on for some time, enabling one to see the Alaska seahawk & Chester livery on the ground in Texas long before AS was doing much of their own flying in the Lower 48 beyond the West Coast.
Worked for WestAir, Apollo Airways, Desert Pacific, Western, AirCal and American Airlines (Retired). Flight Memory: 181 airports, 92 airlines, 78 a/c types, 403 routes, 58 countries (by air), 6 continents. 1,119,414 passenger miles.

Home airport : CEC

anshabhi

Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:38 am

Also see:
Image SP-HAG
Leased by GoAir from Small Planet Airlines.

And VT-SLF leased by Spicejet from Nok Air

Dutchy

Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:52 am

@anshabhi those are on a short lease I think. So more a hybride colors then a plane which @1 meant. :-)

Transavia does this in the winter season.
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!

Dutchy

Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:56 am

I thought Air France A380 would be put to better use if it did CDG - JFK - AMS - JFK - CDG --> CDG - JFK AF crew / flight number and JFK - AMS - JFK KLM crew / flight number.

But I can see some practical issues with that, not in the last place union issues.
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!

klm617

Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:01 pm

KLM 747 PH-BUG "Orinoco" with Viasa on one side and KLM on the other. It flew AMS-JFK for KLM and then JFK-CCS for Viasa.
the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...

superjeff

Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:51 pm

Wingtips56 wrote:
Going back a few decades, there were the Interchange flights in the 1960's and '70's, such as with American and Alaska. An AA plane operated IAH-DFW-SEA-ANC-FAI as did an AS plane. AA cockpit and cabin crew flew south of SEA and AS crews flew north of SEA. I remember AA crews fussing about the AS planes as they had to assemble, load and use a 3-tiered cart for service in the aisle, differing from the normal commissary carts.
Other airlines had similar interchanges. Part of this, as I recall, was to provide through service on routes that the C.A.B. controlled, assigning airlines to operate under geographic constraints.
The AA/AS interchange went on for some time, enabling one to see the Alaska seahawk & Chester livery on the ground in Texas long before AS was doing much of their own flying in the Lower 48 beyond the West Coast.

That particular interchange replaced one between Alaska and Braniff that started in December, 1973. They marketed it as the "Pipeline Express" on an IAH-DFW-SEA-ANC-FAI-ANC-SEA-DFW-IAH (and later, HOU) routing. Braniff provided the airplane in the summertime when Alaska needed capacity, and during the winter, Chester flew south.

When the interchange switched to Alaska/American, I remember the Alaska airplanes being much more comfortable in Y class :-)

superjeff

Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:52 pm

Wingtips56 wrote:

That particular interchange replaced one between Alaska and Braniff that started in December, 1973. They marketed it as the "Pipeline Express" on an IAH-DFW-SEA-ANC-FAI-ANC-SEA-DFW-IAH (and later, HOU) routing. Braniff provided the airplane in the summertime when Alaska needed capacity, and during the winter, Chester flew south.

When the interchange switched to Alaska/American, I remember the Alaska airplanes being much more comfortable in Y class :-)

Other interchanges in the U.S. included ATL-MEM-DEN in the 1960's and early 1970's with Eastern and Braniff, as well as JFK-MIA-PTY-various points in South America using National, Pan Am, and Panagra, then Eastern and Braniff on the same routes, with Braniff operating the flights south of Miami.

b747400erf

Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:57 pm

skywest in America has skywest painted CRJ's that can sub for any of their contracts.

Dominion301

Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:58 pm

Sunwing and Air Transat do this during the peak winter months when they lease in aircraft from European leisure airlines during the Euro off-season.

I think one of the best examples out there of what the OP was asking were the pairs of AC/EA L1011s. One L10 flew in full Eastern livery with AC titles during AC's peak summer transatlantic schedule and then flew with EA during the winter. On the flip side, an AC L10 would fly with Eastern over the winter months in full Air Canada livery. This went on for probably a decade.

vv701

Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:09 pm

LAX772LR wrote:
About the closest you would've seen to dual-use, was Braniff and British Airways + Air France switching off on the latters' Concordes for IAD-DFW.

Not only dual use but dual registration in order to comply with FAA regulations.

To facilitate the dual use BA changed the registration of is Concorde fleet. So G-BOAA was reregistered to the non-standard format especially authorised by the CAA, namely G-N94AA. Similarly all the other BA Concordes were reregistered. So G-BOAC became G-N81AC.

These registrations were changed after all BA LHR-IAD flights. After arrival at IAD a sticker was applied over the 'G-' part of the British registration. Of course this changed the registration to a standard US format. These two aircraft temporarily became N94AA and N81AC respectively. They were then flown by Braniff on the IAD-DFW-IAD rotation.. After arriving back at IAD the stickers were removed before the aircraft were flown back to LHR by BA.

There were other complications explicit in this true dual use of single airframes. For example to comply with the insurance terms and conditions although the flights to and from DFW were flown by fully trained and certified Braniff flight crews, a BA flight crew had a 'monitoring' role on every Braniff operated flight.

The paperwork at the change over at IAD was also complex.

These hurdles that need to be crossed probably mean that dual flights between airlines of different nationalities will have to fulfil an exceptional need to be even considered. Fully domestic dual operation would be less complex. However I doubt that there are many instances that any two airlines would consider such an arrangement. Even in the geographically largest countries like Russia or the USA layovers of sufficient length for a dual domestic flight add-on seems to be an unlikely proposition.

luftaom

Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:12 pm

Back in the late 90s QF and BA tried to make this work to increase the utilisation on their respective 744s which were sat on the ground around the world.

At the time QF had at least 2 and sometimes 3 sat on the ground at both LHR and LAX every day from very early in the morning until late at night. BA had 2 744s on the ground in SYD and 1 in MEL from 5am to 3pm. I know that there were talks for the BA 744s in Sydney to be used for the morning SYD-AKL-SYD (QF25) rotation which was then operated by a 742/743 and the morning SYD-CHC-SYD rotation (QF45) which was operated by a QF 744. There were similar proposals for BA to use the QF aircraft at LHR during the day (although there weren't as many convenient 8 or 9 hour out and backs like there were for the AU-NZ flights - I seem to remember there was talk of BA using a QF aircraft for LHR-JFK and then cycling it back into the QF network there (and the same in reverse).

I suppose the insurance, inconsistency of product, crew training and many other regulatory issues were just too hard to overcome. It would have been a great way for both airlines to effectively increase their fleet size by a 744 or two (so a couple of hundred million dollars) without requiring any extra working capital - which must have been especially attractive.
airliners.net's passenger - simultaneously connecting and flying direct.

BostonBeau

Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:21 pm

These are interchange flights rather than dual paint-jobs, but during the winter season in the 1960s, Pan Am's flights from Boston to Europe were operated using the interchange partner's aircraft: Northwest provided a B707 to London and Delta a DC-8 to Paris. Neither Northwest nor Delta served Boston at the time so it was fun to see their planes in Boston. I believe the Northwest flight was MSP-DTW-BOS-LHR and the Delta was ATL-IAD-BOS-CDG. I remember one night seeing some passengers confused at the check-in kiosk because their plane said "Delta" but their tickets said "Pan Am".

beechnut

Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:21 pm

Back in the '70s, Air Canada and Eastern shared a couple of L1011s between them, C-FTNA and C-FTNC (FINs 501 and 503). They wore a hybrid livery and would change titles. Eastern used them in the busy winter north-south flying season, and Air Canada on the busy summer transcontinental schedules. I flew on one of them in the summer of 1974 when I was 16.

Beech

PaulYUL

Tue Jan 24, 2017 3:30 pm

On as slightly different but related subject: Quite few years back, Air Madagascar, Air Gabon and Cameroon Airlines had each one B742 which were on the Air France AOC in addition to their own airline AOC. As a result, Air France was in charge of maintenance and flight crew training for these aircraft. Although the B742 were usually flown by the crew of their respective airlines, I believe that cross utilization was possible. In the 90’s, I flew several times on an Air France flight between Paris (CDG) and Montreal (YMX at the time) which was operated with an Air Gabon aircraft and crew. My understanding is that arrangement stopped when France adopted the JAA rules which precluded an aircraft to be simultaneously on two different AOC

longhauler

Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:48 pm

beechnut wrote:
Back in the '70s, Air Canada and Eastern shared a couple of L1011s between them, C-FTNA and C-FTNC (FINs 501 and 503). They wore a hybrid livery and would change titles.

An excellent example of dual airline use aircraft.

They actually repainted them during the transition for the first three seasons ... then decided that one ship will always wear AC colours with EA titles in the winter, and the other was always in full EA colours with AC titles in the summer. I always liked the EA new mark paint scheme with bare metal and large AC red titles worn during the late 1970s.

The EA aircraft had an EA interior, and the AC ship had an AC interior ... they were quite different. The only cabin alterations were the F cabin which were changed each transition, as each airline had different requirements.

The aircraft were owned by Haas-Turner and leased between the two airlines.
Just because I stopped arguing, doesn't mean I think you are right. It just means I gave up!

bohica

Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:53 pm

Wingtips56 wrote:

WA and CO had an interchange between Texas and Alaska, stopping in SEA. DC-10's were used. WA flew north of SEA and CO south of SEA. WA also had an interchange with BN at the same time with 727's on a similar route.

aeromoe

Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:06 pm

There was also the Garuda/Continental dual scheme DC-10-30 back in the 80s...at least one that I know of and saw at SFO
AA AC AS BA BD BF BN BR BY B6 CO CP(2) DG DL EA EI EN FL FT F9 HA HP ICX JI JQ J7 KE KS LH MC NW OC OO OZ(1) OZ(2) PA PI PT QF QQ RM RO RV(1) RV(2) RW SK SM SQ S4 TI TS TW UA UK US UZ VS VX WA WN WS W7 XV YV YX(2) ZZ 9K

jupiter2

Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:25 pm

Air Pacific and Royal Tongan shared a 737 in the 90's. One side Air Pacific, the other Royal Tongan and they did actually share the aircraft. Pretty sure it was 4 days Air Pacific and 3 days Royal Tongan, good looking aircraft.

airbuster

Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:07 am

Transavia Netherlands and KLM do this. Though they both belong to the same AFKL group they have separate organizational and operational structures but their 737's are interchangeable on short notice. I.e. within a few hours. I've flown Transavia aircraft on KLM sectors and Transavia sometimes picks up a KLM 737 on hers. Works fine.
FLY FOKKER JET LINE!

Joelatbsl

Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:19 am

Celestair from Africa (http://www.joelvogt.net/aviation/spotte ... hp?id=9399) used to have their A319 F-OOUA flying to Orly and I am pretty sure it did services on behalf of Air Burkina from Ouagadougou as well as for Air Mali from Bamako ...

vv701

Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:41 am

Back in the mid '70s BA had a problem on the LHR-LAX route. They had two aircraft types with sufficient range to operate to LAX. However their 747s were too large to operate that route economically. The 707s they were using were uncompetitive against the twin-aisle aircraft flown by PA and TW on this route.

NZ also had a problem. Its fleet of eight DC-10s was not fully employed.

Conveniently the elapsed time of an LHR-LAX-LHR rotation was close to 24 hours as was that of the AKL-HNL-LAX-HNL-AKL rotation. So NZ signed a four-year agreement with BA to improve their DC-10 utilisation. This inter-lease arrangement was as follows:

Each day NZ operated a DC-10 flight Auckland- Honolulu-Los Angeles (TE001).

At Los Angeles the aircraft was handed over to BA. They then operated it Los Angeles-Heathrow-Los Angeles (BA598/99).

On its return to Los Angeles the same aircraft was returned to NZ. They used it to operate Los Angeles-Honolulu-Auckland (TE002).

This agreement started in May 1975. It expired in April 1979. On any one day during its currency two aircraft would be operating the dual service, one east-bound, the other west-bound. However by the start of Summer Season 1978 the success of this operation and market growth had improved passenger demand for the BA service. So BA introduced their 747 to their LAX service on Days 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. However it continued to operate the dual service with NZ on Day 6 and 7. On weekdays BA retained the two DC-10s. They used them to operate five LHR-MIA-LHR and three LHR-YUL-LHR rotations.

No specific aircraft were used. All eight of NZ's DC-10 39S operated for BA during the currency of the agreement. All the flights were flown by aircraft painted in full NZ livery. All flights to and from LHR were operated by BA crew. All flights to and from AKL and HNL were operated by NZ crew.

vhqpa

Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:49 pm

It was within the airline group but I recall from a magazine a while ago that Qantas briefly had an arrangement like this with one particular 763 (VH-OGV) It wore full QF colours but it flew for Qantas four days of the weeks before spending the next three days with their short lived Australian Airlines Mk.II subsidiary. Eventually it was transferred to Australian full time and wore AO colours for a while before they abandoned the brand.
"There you go ladies and gentleman we're through Mach 1 the speed of sound no bumps no bangs... CONCORDE"

ckfred

Wed Jan 25, 2017 4:48 pm

A friend of mine was a 727 domestic F/O, when AA and AS had interline flying. There were memos to AA crews flying AS 727s not to use the H.U.D system. Of course, pilots then had to start trying them out.

superjeff

Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:34 pm

bohica wrote:
Wingtips56 wrote:

WA and CO had an interchange between Texas and Alaska, stopping in SEA. DC-10's were used. WA flew north of SEA and CO south of SEA. WA also had an interchange with BN at the same time with 727's on a similar route.

Not so. Braniff actually interchanged with Alaska for a couple of years, the interchange between AA and Alaska only started when Braniff was in major financial trouble and downgraded their service to one class (all Y) during the last few months prior to their shutdown. Braniff never interchanged with Western on this route.

tjerome

Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:07 pm

klm617 wrote:
KLM 747 PH-BUG "Orinoco" with Viasa on one side and KLM on the other. It flew AMS-JFK for KLM and then JFK-CCS for Viasa.

Here is a toy model of that aircraft: http://www.400scalehangar.net/database/ ... hp?id=4174

Gemuser

Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:33 am

Going back even more decades...
When QF & IA [Imperial Airways] introduced through plane service between SYD & Southampton with Shorts S23 flying boats, QF operated SYD-SIN & IA SIN-Southampton. As Ia had about2/3 of the route miles they contributed 2/3 of the aircraft to the pool and QF 1/3. All aircraft operated right through with QF operating the aircraft to SIN & IA the rest of the way. The service was terminate by the fall of SIn in WWII.
Gemuser

alfa164

Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:54 am

superjeff wrote:
Wingtips56 wrote:

Other interchanges in the U.S. included ATL-MEM-DEN in the 1960's and early 1970's with Eastern and Braniff, as well as JFK-MIA-PTY-various points in South America using National, Pan Am, and Panagra, then Eastern and Braniff on the same routes, with Braniff operating the flights south of Miami.

In the middle to late 70's, Continental and Western flew an interchange DFW-SEA-ANC, destined to haul oil pipeline workers up during construction of the Trans-Alaska pipeline. Sometimes the jingle they used to promote it gets in my head and I can't get it out:

"Fly the Skyway all the way to Alaska... the new highway from Continental and Western!"
I'm going to have a smokin' hot body again!
I have decided to be cremated....

johnclipper

Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:43 am

What about JetStar/Valuair in Singapore. Some A320s still have both titles on them.
"Flown every aircraft since the Wright Flyer" (guys, if you take this literally, then you need to get a life...)

cpd

Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:55 am

Tupolev 114 Rossiya with Aeroflot and JAL.

c933103

Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:13 am

cpd wrote:

iirc both arilines' wordmark appear on both sides...
The message in signature have been removed according to demand.

cpd

Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:04 am

c933103 wrote:
cpd wrote:

iirc both arilines' wordmark appear on both sides...

Looks like you are right. The photos I saw had the aeroflot text almost fading away into the white background, hence why I missed it. I really had to look closely.

PanHAM

Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:42 am

LTU had an L1011 which was leased to Eastern in the winter season and flew for LTU in the summer, showing both EA and LT livery
Was Erlauben Erdogan!!!

kaitak744

Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:26 am

This was used by 6 airlines ;)

beechnut

Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:53 pm

longhauler wrote:
beechnut wrote:
Back in the '70s, Air Canada and Eastern shared a couple of L1011s between them, C-FTNA and C-FTNC (FINs 501 and 503). They wore a hybrid livery and would change titles.

An excellent example of dual airline use aircraft.

They actually repainted them during the transition for the first three seasons ... then decided that one ship will always wear AC colours with EA titles in the winter, and the other was always in full EA colours with AC titles in the summer. I always liked the EA new mark paint scheme with bare metal and large AC red titles worn during the late 1970s.

The EA aircraft had an EA interior, and the AC ship had an AC interior ... they were quite different. The only cabin alterations were the F cabin which were changed each transition, as each airline had different requirements.

The aircraft were owned by Haas-Turner and leased between the two airlines.

Personal trivia, flew on the Eastern-liveried one in the summer of 1974, YYC-YUL. I was 16 at the time, traveling with my mother. We had been visiting my step-sister and her husband was an AC gate agent and he got us bumped up to first class! Roast beef sliced at your row in those days. Other trivia, I still have a stainless steel TCA coffee spoon that I use every morning for my coffee. Stolen by my dad on a business trip. Don't try to arrest him though. He passed on in 1971 and it would have been his 104th birthday this past week.

Beech

SpaceshipDC10

Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:59 pm

aeromoe wrote:
There was also the Garuda/Continental dual scheme DC-10-30 back in the 80s...at least one that I know of and saw at SFO

Not to forget one CO/AZ and one CO/VP as well during the '90s.

Maybe it was already mentioned, but Air Pacific/Western Airlines have co-operated for a while on NAN-HNL-LAX, with Western operating the intra-US segement while DQ doing the international part.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos